Finansteride Lost Effect - Dutasteride Will Help?

zookeeper

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm 34 y/o and i've been on finansteride for +5 years and it has more or less lost it effect (at first it had a very good effect) and these last 2 years I've been shedding alot (diffuse shedding). I've lost approximately 40% of my density...

Thinking about switchin to dutasteride and would like to hear some thoughts on it
*can I expect some hair to grow back?
*I didn't experience any sides effects on FINA, thinking that dutasteride will be fine as well, what u think

(have also been thinking about and fue for diffuse thinning all over but will post that with pics in a separate thread )

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same story here. Been using fina for 6 years, first two amazing results, but it has lost its effectiveness somehow. I added 0.5mg duta every third day 10 weeks ago and my hairline went to sh*t. Now I don’t know what to do; should I add more duta or should i stopped it? I really hope it’s just a shed, we’ll see. If I would do it again I would probably add RU or maybe seti just to make sure testosterone is not f*****g up my hairline. But right now I’m too broke to do that.

zookeeper

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same story here. Been using fina for 6 years, first two amazing results, but it has lost its effectiveness somehow. I added 0.5mg duta every third day 10 weeks ago and my hairline went to sh*t. Now I don’t know what to do; should I add more duta or should i stopped it? I really hope it’s just a shed, we’ll see. If I would do it again I would probably add RU or maybe seti just to make sure testosterone is not f*****g up my hairline. But right now I’m too broke to do that.

You should ask your doctor or an expert regarding dosage and what to do - My doctor told me that one should not go on and off FINA, but that its OK to stop instantly (Can we assume the same for DUTA?) The regular dosage is 0.5mg DUTA or 1mg FINA per day. Since FINA has stopped having effect I would assume that one could just stop FINA and take 0.5mg DUTA a day instead.

Your hairline problem sounds more like shedding in my amateur opinion - Its only been 10 weeks so its a short term effect and probably a positive sign that it works. Ive been on and off FINA twice and Ive had some shedding both times and the argument the was exactly that; proof of work. Tho I had more hair back then so it didnt affect me as much as it will today.

"....do it again I would probably add RU or maybe seti just to make sure testosterone"
- What is RU and seti?

Ive tried lots of sh*t to get thicker hair. The only thing that has shown some sign of work are muscular exercises for the scalp (gives me a good hair day) + FINA + minoxidil. Worth adding on that is that i notice is that I shedd more when living unhealthy and less when living healthy - but your overall apperance will look so much freasher, hair or not, if u eat, sleep healthy, take care of yourself in general and exercise regularly.

In my opinion, a hair style with too thin hair looks way worse (and pathetic) than a bald or a shaved head. Im far from bald, but I think Im starting to be too thin for a hair cut to look good - Most people around me disagree on that and I see many with less hair than me, happy but with an ugly *** cut....... So anyway I wanna try DUTA, if it can make a miracle for another 3 years then yippie. If it fucks up my hairline I might say f*** it, stop stressing buy a new trimmer and then wait 5 years for that miracle treatment that will solve it for us all=)

Ever thought about and FUE?
See my other thread. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/fue-for-diffuse-thinning-i-need-advice.112147/

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should ask your doctor or an expert regarding dosage and what to do - My doctor told me that one should not go on and off FINA, but that its OK to stop instantly (Can we assume the same for DUTA?) The regular dosage is 0.5mg DUTA or 1mg FINA per day. Since FINA has stopped having effect I would assume that one could just stop FINA and take 0.5mg DUTA a day instead.

Your hairline problem sounds more like shedding in my amateur opinion - Its only been 10 weeks so its a short term effect and probably a positive sign that it works. Ive been on and off FINA twice and Ive had some shedding both times and the argument the was exactly that; proof of work. Tho I had more hair back then so it didnt affect me as much as it will today.

"....do it again I would probably add RU or maybe seti just to make sure testosterone"
- What is RU and seti?

Ive tried lots of sh*t to get thicker hair. The only thing that has shown some sign of work are muscular exercises for the scalp (gives me a good hair day) + FINA + minoxidil. Worth adding on that is that i notice is that I shedd more when living unhealthy and less when living healthy - but your overall apperance will look so much freasher, hair or not, if u eat, sleep healthy, take care of yourself in general and exercise regularly.

In my opinion, a hair style with too thin hair looks way worse (and pathetic) than a bald or a shaved head. Im far from bald, but I think Im starting to be too thin for a hair cut to look good - Most people around me disagree on that and I see many with less hair than me, happy but with an ugly *** cut....... So anyway I wanna try DUTA, if it can make a miracle for another 3 years then yippie. If it fucks up my hairline I might say f*** it, stop stressing buy a new trimmer and then wait 5 years for that miracle treatment that will solve it for us all=)

Ever thought about and FUE?
See my other thread. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/fue-for-diffuse-thinning-i-need-advice.112147/

I'm still using Finasteride, I just added Dutasteride twice/week. If Dutasteride works better, I will slowly transition from Finasteride.

On your exercise note, I think my hair looks better If I do more cardio. I've been lifting seriously for 8 years or so now and I'm pretty healthy all around, but I'm not sure it helps with hair loss. I also stopped smoking and it did nothing for alopecia.

I'm not a fan of FUE or FUT, I also think I'm not a good candidate because my hair is very thin.

zookeeper

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still using Finasteride, I just added Dutasteride twice/week. If Dutasteride works better, I will slowly transition from Finasteride.

On your exercise note, I think my hair looks better If I do more cardio. I've been lifting seriously for 8 years or so now and I'm pretty healthy all around, but I'm not sure it helps with hair loss. I also stopped smoking and it did nothing for alopecia.

I'm not a fan of FUE or FUT, I also think I'm not a good candidate because my hair is very thin.

Im in the doubt of making a transplant, but i follow your line and agree that if hair is too thin, FUE is worthless. If u saw my post and pics, any comments are welcome. I don't know what to do and feels like many clinics do sales rather than consultation.

Ive ordered DUTA yesterday and think I'm gonna start with 0.5mg 3-4 times a week. Saw some argument on starting with a heavy dosage (1.5mg/day for 10 days) and then down to 3 a week.

Hope i won't have your experience with the hairline and hope yours is short term and will repair. I'll try to give an update here later on my results with DUTA.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Happy days if you're considering dutasteride because finasteride lost effectiveness, finasteride never worked at all for me. You can try dutasteride but it can destroy hairlines in apparently alot of people. I hear that story more than it working honestly.

Endmymisery

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Happy days if you're considering dutasteride because finasteride lost effectiveness, finasteride never worked at all for me. You can try dutasteride but it can destroy hairlines in apparently alot of people. I hear that story more than it working honestly.
Didnt you start losing more hair after quitting finasteride?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didnt you start losing more hair after quitting finasteride?
I sure did! Now that I'm back on it hair is shedding like crazy.. Almost as bad as my first minoxidil shed :/ I can get about 15 hairs in the sink after a minute of ruffling my hair every single time. It just keeps getting worse, I'm losing density fast which was never even a problem to begin with! I have no choice but to ride it out though...

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
@zookeeper and @itsjustsimon, you have to understand finasteride does not lose its effective in the sense it totally stopped working. It will still block DHT but genetics eventually wins out as the body tends to get its own way. Most hair treatments will peak in the first few years of use. Then you either maintain once you hit your peak or slowly decline to the point you are below baseline once again. Depends on your age and your genetics how long this phase will last. For me, it lasted a good 4 or 5 years. I have been on and off minoxidil many times and I can tell you, you do need a growth stimulant like minoxidil for the best synergistic success.

I tried using dutasteride once and then twice per day along with finasteride on the other days and the results were stagnant. I even believe my hairline thinned out more eventually. Not only that I got more gyno and put on more weight. I have been on forums for over 10 years and it's very rare to see someone gain significant amount of hair when switching to dutasteride. But those who never tried minoxidil and go on it, get some great gains. Some who quit minoxidil and go back on it get some gains too. You can try it like I did but make sure you monitor the hairline closely when you do. Good luck to both of you.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @DoctorHouse. That actually makes me pretty sad, now even dutas can’t help me anymore I guess. I do look closely at my hairline, it recedes pretty badly, but how do I know it’s not just a shed? I will probably stay on it for at least 6 months because I don’t have any sides. If my hairline gets worse I will drop it. I will try to get on oral seti + rogaine, maybe cb/ru.

Last edited:

zookeeper

My Regimen
Reaction score
@zookeeper and @itsjustsimon, you have to understand finasteride does not lose its effective in the sense it totally stopped working. It will still block DHT but genetics eventually wins out as the body tends to get its own way. Most hair treatments will peak in the first few years of use. Then you either maintain once you hit your peak or slowly decline to the point you are below baseline once again. Depends on your age and your genetics how long this phase will last. For me, it lasted a good 4 or 5 years. I have been on and off minoxidil many times and I can tell you, you do need a growth stimulant like minoxidil for the best synergistic success.

I tried using dutasteride once and then twice per day along with finasteride on the other days and the results were stagnant. I even believe my hairline thinned out more eventually. Not only that I got more gyno and put on more weight. I have been on forums for over 10 years and it's very rare to see someone gain significant amount of hair when switching to dutasteride. But those who never tried minoxidil and go on it, get some great gains. Some who quit minoxidil and go back on it get some gains too. You can try it like I did but make sure you monitor the hairline closely when you do. Good luck to both of you.

I use minoxidil once a day and have been for about 3-4 years - shedding has been slow and permanent and i can't say that I notice a big difference. Tho it would probably be worse without it. U think I would see a big difference if I would use it twice?

zookeeper

My Regimen
Reaction score

I did respond well to FINA in the beginning and hope I will do the same with DUTA.

Considering: DUTA raises T and lowers DHT + I'm very skinny, training a lot and find it hard to gain weight and got a not too aggressive loss.
My hope is that raised S will help me gain weight and muscles and that lowered DHT will help me regrow hair on my head. I understand it's a dreamlike result.
- Any thoughts on that and what dosage that is best to accomplish my dreamlike result?

Last edited: