Finally success treating my hair loss with Avodart (Dutasteride)

mmac22

Reaction score
Thanks for your post balding 89. I switched from Propecia to Avodart about a month ago and after being on Propecia for about 7 years with continued hairloss I needed to take the chance and try something else before I became completely bald. Within one week on Avodart (1 tablet per day) my hair loss stopped. No hairs falling out in the shower and no hairs falling our when brushing/styling my hair. Absolutely amazing! Particularly when I have been losing my hair for 20 years and then it suddenly stops! Wow! I am kicking myself I didn't get onto it earlier but the good news is I'm on it now, its working, and perhaps with the help of Rogaine I may get some regrowth in the months ahead. For those that are on Propecia and continuing to suffer with daily hair loss then Avodart is certainly worth giving a go. Once your hair loss stops things certainly become a little easier to deal with.

Lennox

Reaction score
Dude first off all congrats.
It Must be terrific to fix it finally.
There is One thing i do not understand.
8month before u was starting this thread u said that dutasteride causes a very itchy scalp and shedding.
Now you mention u take it since 2 month..
Its just i dont want to make mistakes
i am
suffering of a hard finasteride shed since almost a year van u Give me an advice should i start taking avodart
I am coming from Europe as well
so sorry for my english Community

Justeone

Reaction score
I've been on advodart for 3 and half months , started shedding shorter thick terminal hairs about 2 weeks back still going through a minor shed , some longer terminals shed too but I see that as a normal process. Will keep you all updated on my experience as well not trying to thread steal . Hoping that the shorter hairs come back stronger . 6 months is usually a good efficacy point to determine how well its going . Fingers crossed

massa

Banned
Reaction score
I've been on advodart for 3 and half months , started shedding shorter thick terminal hairs about 2 weeks back still going through a minor shed , some longer terminals shed too but I see that as a normal process. Will keep you all updated on my experience as well not trying to thread steal . Hoping that the shorter hairs come back stronger . 6 months is usually a good efficacy point to determine how well its going . Fingers crossed

Any update ??

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score

No pics, no care

I swear why the hell do people make a thread without pics. Completely pointless. I want to belive you but i see no proof

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
Just received my avodart today. I am currently on finasteride 1.25mg ED which is giving decent results. I am planning to add Avodart 0.5mg once a week and report back with my results in a couple of months.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
@oye_rg

How did dutasteride work out for you?

I tried oral dutasteride last year for 3-4 weeks (once a week) but then got paranoid of the sides and quit (not sure if it was real or imagined but I had sore sensitive nipples one day and quit as I was responding to finasteride and Min anyway)
Now I have been mixing 2 dutasteride caplets into a bottle of minoxidil and using this minoxidil on my hairline and normal minoxidil on the other areas for about 6 months. To be honest I do not think this topical addition has done anything but then the dosage may be low or whatever.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP or someone else that has taken dutasteride for 6 months+ can you update on your situation? Debating whether to start dutasteride as finasteride has failed miserably after 2 years.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP or someone else that has taken dutasteride for 6 months+ can you update on your situation? Debating whether to start dutasteride as finasteride has failed miserably after 2 years.
I was on finasteride for like 5 years and thought it was working great. Then one day I realized i had just gotten thinner all around my hairline. Then i noticed hair everywhere in my bathroom. A feeling of doom just like consumed me "Holy S#$#$ fins not working im screwed". Switched to avodart and after 6 months I dont shed any hair at all. Like 10 hairs in the shower after months. So yeah I guess where finasteride failed dutasteride is succeeding extremely well.

Edit: I also added minoxidil 4 months ago, unfortunately im not a responder after consistent/faithful use.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I should also say that finasteride wasn't working for me because I was on the low end of the DHT reduction curve. I remember my results being like 50% reduction. dutasteride has brought my DHT levels to 6 ng/dl, which is that of a prepubescent boy. Alot of people say that if finasteride doesnt work than dutasteride wont either, but from my experience that is totally not the case.

Best of luck

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats dude,
Good place to source dutasteride in the UK? - also what's the score with getting this stuff through customs? Thanks.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not really sure man. I know some people use an online pharmacy, but I have no idea how UK customs work. I'm like 90% positive that dutas is legit though.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I should also say that finasteride wasn't working for me because I was on the low end of the DHT reduction curve. I remember my results being like 50% reduction. dutasteride has brought my DHT levels to 6 ng/dl, which is that of a prepubescent boy.

Did you have blood test to confirm that? So finasteride only lowers your DHT by 50% from baseline while dutasteride lowers your DHT level to pre teen level? That's amazing! Do you start to see regrowth now?

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you have blood test to confirm that? So finasteride only lowers your DHT by 50% from baseline while dutasteride lowers your DHT level to pre teen level? That's amazing! Do you start to see regrowth now?
Yes, i had three separate blood tests done. The first one was two weeks after stopping finasteride. The levels were maybe a little over 65ng/dl. The next results after using finasteride for a month were like 32ng/dl. 3 months into dutasteride the last test showed 6ng/dl. A tanner stage 1, approx 7 years old, has dht levels of less than or equal to 5ng/dl. A 12 year olds is < or = 20ng/dl. So yeah my dht levels are so low that in my opinion my male pattern baldness wont progress anymore. unfortunately no regrowth. I have a high res usb microscope that i do trichoscans with. The hair is all "there" just the thin parts are miniaturized. I'm hoping histogen can fix this.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on finasteride for like 5 years and thought it was working great. Then one day I realized i had just gotten thinner all around my hairline. Then i noticed hair everywhere in my bathroom. A feeling of doom just like consumed me "Holy S#$#$ fins not working im screwed". Switched to avodart and after 6 months I dont shed any hair at all. Like 10 hairs in the shower after months. So yeah I guess where finasteride failed dutasteride is succeeding extremely well.

Edit: I also added minoxidil 4 months ago, unfortunately im not a responder after consistent/faithful use.

Are you completely sure it wasn't a seasonal shed or something else? Also, I don't think it is the serum DHT that matters when it comes to hair loss, but rather the Type II DHT. The further reduction of serum DHT that you got on dutasteride is probably due to the Type 1 DHT that is being blocked.

I wonder if your shedded hair would have returned if you stayed on finasteride or gave it more time. However, it is good to know that you can always switch to dutasteride if you don't think finasteride is providing good results anymore.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, i had three separate blood tests done. The first one was two weeks after stopping finasteride. The levels were maybe a little over 65ng/dl. The next results after using finasteride for a month were like 32ng/dl. 3 months into dutasteride the last test showed 6ng/dl. A tanner stage 1, approx 7 years old, has dht levels of less than or equal to 5ng/dl. A 12 year olds is < or = 20ng/dl. So yeah my dht levels are so low that in my opinion my male pattern baldness wont progress anymore. unfortunately no regrowth. I have a high res usb microscope that i do trichoscans with. The hair is all "there" just the thin parts are miniaturized. I'm hoping histogen can fix this.
Any regrowth now?