Finally acting against hair loss.

Supertramp

Reaction score
Firstly, I'd like to say that it's a relief having someone to confide in with the existence of this forum.

I'm a 25 year old male, and I've finally conceded that I have male pattern baldness. Damn, it hurts just admitting it.

My hair has been slowly receding for approximately five or six years. However, witnessing its current state of recession has urged me to do something about it, or at least try.

I find myself constantly thinking about it. It encompasses my every thought. It even influences my day.

I've just ordered a prescription of Propecia, and I plan to start on a low dose of around 0.25mg every day/every other day. Given that I, hopefully, experience no side effects, I will gradually increase the dosage.

I don't possess unrealistic expectations. I'd just like to maintain what hair I have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20150812_141027_edit.jpg
IMG_20150812_141029_edit.jpg
IMG_20150812_141041_edit.jpg
IMG_20150812_141043_edit.jpg
IMG_20150812_141044_edit.jpg
IMG_20150812_141049_edit.jpg

Senritsu

Reaction score
Your hair loss doesn't look very bad, to me. I'm sure you'll have success. Propecia supposedly does work in the vast majority of times. As far as the side-effects, I see conflicting information. Some say you are likely to go permanently impotent, while others say they've successfully used it for many years without any side effects. It's possible the latter are simply pharma shills, so I wish we could verify what the real facts are.

Supertramp

Reaction score
Thanks, Senritsu! I've been using Propecia for approximately one week now, and, so far, I've experienced no side effects. However, I have noticed that I'm losing considerably more hairs than usual. Is it possible to 'shed' this early into treatment?

SaintGJR7

Reaction score
Thanks, Senritsu! I've been using Propecia for approximately one week now, and, so far, I've experienced no side effects. However, I have noticed that I'm losing considerably more hairs than usual. Is it possible to 'shed' this early into treatment?

I haven't been on Finasteride long either, but from what I have read, yes you can have an initial shed. Some get the shed, some don't it seems.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
I think one week may be a little soon to notice any effects - it's probably placebo.

Try not to think about it too much and also try not to overly check your hair, just stay consistent and take pics on a monthly basis (maybe less than that!). Otherwise, forget about it.

You have acted early, which is excellent. Actually your hair reminds me of a recent post:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/80507-Eenrak-s-story-Big-3

samjd12

Reaction score
How much is the cost?

Interesting post, I'm in a similar position to you. So I'm 21 and have noticed minor hair loss for the past few years but have finally decided it is time to start taking action. Not really sure where I stand on the Norwood scale, probably somewhere between a NW1 and NW2, I think.

As a student, cost is important before I start my regimen. So, how much will the treatment of 'the big 3' cost roughly? And are there any methods to reduce cost to a minimum? Both finasteride and minoxidil seem pretty expensive.

Be great to get some feedback!

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
^ Sam you can get finasteride cheap from alldaychemist / in house, perhaps get script for lloyds pharmacy UK idk the price of it from this, but it's pretty cheap just cut 5mg pills in quarters bro, minoxidil is cheap from minoxidil direct, I think you can get some minoxidil from inhouse too, and nizoral isn't too bad either bro just search around also with shampoo don't use it everyday on your hair man

Benjammin

Reaction score
Also getting generic finasteride at 5mg and cutting them up is an option. I'm on 1.25mg a day that way and 30 5mg pills (4 months supply) cost $9 (without insurance)

samjd12

Reaction score
Pattern treatment

Also, noticed certain things with hairloss. Get increased dandruff and itching in regions where I am thinning. Also, since I have quite thick hair normally, I have a lot of smaller, thinner hairs on the front. Do these symptoms mean that my hair will respond better to certain treatments than other patterns of hairloss?

Supertramp

Reaction score
So, it has been approximately one month that I've been using Propecia, and I'm glad to say that I've experienced zero side-effects.

I believe that I'm currently going through a 'shed', however, this hasn't changed my hair.

I plan to keep this thread updated. Oh, and thanks to everyone for all of the advice!

OH202

Reaction score
Hi OP ~

The shedding is very normal - you'd probably lose it 3 months down the line anyways. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Supertramp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, OH202.

Yeah, it seems the majority of users experience this. Luckily, as of yet, this has made no change to my hair.

I shall keep this thread updated, bud!

Supertramp

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I still continue to 'shed', and I've noticed my hair has become thinner. Will this improve over time if I continue to use Propecia?

IMG-20150930-02980.jpg

IMG-20150930-02982.jpg

Supertramp

Reaction score
Thanks, Flippant. Given that I remain to experience no side effects, I will definitely stick to the treatment!

jackakastones

Reaction score
Hey Supertramp,

What were you noticing prior to taking finasteride that made you want to treat your hairloss? Just hairline recession? Slight diffuse thinning? Just curious

Supertramp

Reaction score
Hey, Jackakastones.

For the past several years I have witnessed my hairline very slowly recede and generally become thinner. Because of this, I decided that I needed to do something, or at least try.