Feel inferior around NW1?

epictetus

Reaction score
One thing that has really shaped my psyche, and my deep self-hatred, revolved around a girl I liked in high school.

As I said, I started balding when I was 17. I had a lifelong friend who had an amazing head of hair, like a young Jon Stamos. He knew I liked her, of course, yet he'd occasionally flirt with her. He had no interest in dating her, but he'd do it just to sort of prove that he could have her if he wanted.

This is basically how I feel around all guys with full heads of hair. That they could just snatch any girl I have away from me due to my inferior looks.

While guys with full heads of hair might not be as blatant as George W. Bush, stroking our bald heads with paternalistic pity, they all have a body language that they know they're better than you just because they have hair.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Drives you nuts, huh?

cuebald

Reaction score
Especially when you're all sitting around a table and they play with their long NW1 curly locks while looking in your direction

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm envious and even somewhat fascinated by them.

I probably lost my NW1 (meaning perfectly straight hairline) around 15/16 years old. Of course I didn't notice it at the time, but it has to be that long ago as I cannot remember having a straight hairline since I was a little kid.

So it sort of amazes me to see guys with perfect temples with no weakness in their hairline whatsoever. It does set off an inferiority complex for me, because I know it's something that, outside of surgery, I will never have again. And yet it is just effortless for them - an external display of superior genetics.

I imagine I will feel the same way about NW2s once I hit NW3, and so on.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I admit that i used to feel like this but I have come to realise that a girl that is worth it will want to be with you weather your a NW1 or a NW7. Why would anyone want to be with a girl who is only interested in how much hair a guy has????

Reaction score
Inferior? Genetic superiority?

Come on, guys. I see 5'5" janitors with perfect NW1's and 6'8" NBA players with a NW3. There's no correllation there.

Electron17

Reaction score
Tiger's Bald Spot said:

Come on, guys. I see 5'5" janitors with perfect NW1's and 6'8" NBA players with a NW3. There's no correllation there.

Ha ha, yes. People need to realize that there are many aspects to physical attractiveness beyond just hair. I've looked at other forums out of curiosity to see if this is common elsewhere. On a height increase forum, short people rant with paranoia about those 6'4 studs who will surely snatch their girlfriends straight out of their arms, and on an acne forum envy is shown toward those with an effortless clear complexion. Many factors are at play.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tiger's Bald Spot said:

Genetics aren't an "all or nothing" situation. A person with a NW1 has superior hair genetics. A tall person has superior height genetics.

I don't think every NW1 is genetically superior to me overall. They just have better hair genes, and it pisses me off :)

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Electron17 said:
Tiger's Bald Spot said:

Ha ha, yes. People need to realize that there are many aspects to physical attractiveness beyond just hair. I've looked at other forums out of curiosity to see if this is common elsewhere. On a height increase forum, short people rant with paranoia about those 6'4 studs who will surely snatch their girlfriends straight out of their arms, and on an acne forum envy is shown toward those with an effortless clear complexion. Many factors are at play.

This kinda reminds of Edwards Nortons character in fight club when he joins all these odd groups... :dunno:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Just been looking at a height forum it really is like a parrallel universe of here. You have the deluded guys with their theories (just drink milk ect) and the guys who really dont need to be on there. Even products to cash in on the problem, books on spine strecting ect. So much obbsession and insecurities its almost funny.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
Although I can understand a woman having a preference to not want to date a bald dude, but for her to not even accept a bald dude into her social circle is some of the most backwards type of sh*t I've ever heard, and I can honestly say that I've never even seen that sort of thing happen. I went to college in a really big city (chicago) and I can honestly say that I've seen plenty of bald dudes, some of them older, going to parties and stuff and drinking and whatnot.

I've even seen some pretty bald dudes taking off with some pretty cute girls, it was actually enough to piss me off and give me a bit of a superiority complex myself. I have to admit though, the girl did seem pretty sluttish.

I've honestly got no other problem with my appearance, I'm tall, thin, and I don't have any sort of deformation. If I really wanted to I could get pretty physically active and get pretty ripped, but my natural metabolism keeps me pretty content. It's only after I started losing my hair did I really know what I had.

I know I can get girls for sure, and I definitely won't say no to a "cute" girl, but I feel like I don't totally get the same response I do that I used to from "sexy" girls.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
Matt Skiba said:
Although I can understand a woman having a preference to not want to date a bald dude, but for her to not even accept a bald dude into her social circle is some of the most backwards type of sh*t I've ever heard, and I can honestly say that I've never even seen that sort of thing happen. I went to college in a really big city (chicago) and I can honestly say that I've seen plenty of bald dudes, some of them older, going to parties and stuff and drinking and whatnot.

I've even seen some pretty bald dudes taking off with some pretty cute girls, it was actually enough to piss me off and give me a bit of a superiority complex myself. I have to admit though, the girl did seem pretty sluttish.

I've honestly got no other problem with my appearance, I'm tall, thin, and I don't have any sort of deformation. If I really wanted to I could get pretty physically active and get pretty ripped, but my natural metabolism keeps me pretty content. It's only after I started losing my hair did I really know what I had.

I know I can get girls for sure, and I definitely won't say no to a "cute" girl, but I feel like I don't totally get the same response I do that I used to from "sexy" girls.

sorry, not to sound like a douchebag...but why would you feel angry about seeing a bald man with a good looking girl? Were YOU yourself trying to get with her? Are you that pathetic a person that you can't handle seeing a hot chick with a guy who may not be as good looking as you?

Whatever...I laugh at the fact that some people may regard themselves as superior because they have their hair and a bald man doesn't. Its like they're giving themselves credit for something they can't even control genetically, and they may end up losing it themselves later down the line. People like that are quite stupid IMO

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I was just pissed cause I didn't get none that night hah. It wasn't anything personal.

Also I'm still in my early 20s and nw2ish, this dude had much less hair than me and he looked like he was 30 or so probably, and the chick looked like she was around my age, keep in mind I was around 19 when this happened.

Come to think of it, it actually makes me feel better to see living proof in front of me that all is not lost after you lose your hair. Just ask Tony Soprano:

tony_soprano-girl1.jpg

s.a.f

Reaction score
A publicity shot for a tv series featuring an actor and a hired model = proof? :shock:

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
A publicity shot for a tv series featuring an actor and a hired model = proof? :shock:

Exactly.

Doesnt prove sh*t. It may suggest that if in real life if are very rich and powerful then you will have girls around, but she isnt there because she simply likes you, its the status side of it. So either way, its a completely unrealistic situation.

As for me, my life slowly drifts onward. Now summer has begun to arrive in the UK, things are better. The days are longer, my moods better.

What gets me mainly is looking at the tons of completey unattractive bald older guys who have just let themselves go. Not that we know if it was their baldness per se that led them to stop caring, but its just nasty to see the correlation.

I say this again and again - by simply observing bald(ing) guys, im talking at least serious thinning, 90% look really unattractive to me. And thats what worries me - by simply living in the uk, with our food and weather, culture and way of life, im probably bound to look like that older office worker type with no hair who is completely unnattractive.

I dont know how long I have till my hair days are gone. A while probably. Once I start noticably thinning, thats when life will start to suck. I still more or less get by at the moment. My looks have decreased slightly. Its like there is an exact correlation. Without my hair Ill be nothing. Like Samson from the bible.

I can kind of picture my head bald..It wont look great. Life is really going to f*****g suck. I wish I was never born sometimes. Its such a rat race tryng to look good and failing and trying to do this and that..it never ends..

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Just been looking at a height forum it really is like a parrallel universe of here. You have the deluded guys with their theories (just drink milk ect) and the guys who really dont need to be on there.

how can somebody dont need to be there ? if you are insecure about your height does it really matter how tall you are ?

s.a.f

Reaction score
kadosh said:
s.a.f said:
Just been looking at a height forum it really is like a parrallel universe of here. You have the deluded guys with their theories (just drink milk ect) and the guys who really dont need to be on there.

how can somebody dont need to be there ? if you are insecure about your height does it really matter how tall you are ?

Amongst the 5'2" and 5'3" guys who were hoping to grow to 5'5", there was one guy who was 6' 1" and still wanting to be a little taller. I'd say he did'nt have a height problem.

Its just like the NW1.5 guys who come on here and describe how bad it is for them to be living with hairloss.

Ps It was depressing to hear about these guys spending an hour a day hanging upside down doing stretching excercises and talking about diet, knowing that they were destined to failure.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
6'1" and still wants to be taller? i see what you mean now .
it does sound very depressing.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope4hairRedux said:
s.a.f said:

Exactly.

Doesnt prove sh*t. It may suggest that if in real life if are very rich and powerful then you will have girls around, but she isnt there because she simply likes you, its the status side of it. So either way, its a completely unrealistic situation.

Your pessimism is really unhealthy, maybe you have a case of depression and losing your hair isn't your only problem? I'm not trying to make fun of you honestly, it just might be something to look into. I get the feeling you don't go out too much if you're saying this.

Status, power, and confidence really does get a girl to "really like you". I know it's kind of a cliched saying, but if you look at it from a biological view, men are traditionally supposed to be out there protecting as well as providing and hair has nothing to do with this, being in good shape, active, powerful, confident, and in our modern day financially well off has much to do with this. Women are just basically made to be trophy genetic carriers and caring and nurturing of children. It might make me sound like a pig but women really are the "weaker" of the opposite race and they need more a feeling of being protected and safe and like I said hair has nothing to do with this..

Yes Tony Soprano may be a fictional character on a TV show, but the Sopranos is a drama television show, and drama movies and TV shows generally do take a whole lot of their inspiration from real life. The guy is generally successful and gets with women left and right. Women are much more into "power", "control" and "getting the job done" than they are into looks. Raw physical performance may also be a factor, but I'm pretty sure the women tony was getting with were in their 30s or so generally, which I think is pretty okay at his age.

If there's one thing women don't like, it's a man who acts like a woman, and in all honesty caring too much of your looks is pretty feminine. As long as you're kind of professional and socially presentable, which I also think losing hair has little to none to do with, things should be pretty okay.

Don't get me wrong I'm pissed off about my hair just as much as the next guy, but for me it's mostly because I'm a musician and I enjoy a certain style of image and persona to associate myself with. In the general populace I know I can still kick plenty of *** though, and you guys should also believe in yourselves.

Then again I'm only 22 and inching towards NW2, so I might not know your guys's situations as much, I figure as long as I don't start losing my crown by age 30 I should be alright.