Fat shaming is bad. Bald shaming is encouraged. Why?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
At work one of the boys was covered in dust. We work around heavy machinery, and it gave him a a bit of a tan, and it made his bald spots replicate hair fibres/spray.

He requested to have a shower, because the shuttle buses that drive us home can be pickey due to hygiene, and being dirty in general.

Our fat obese foreman says "Atleast your bald spot is less noticeable on your head. It almost looks like your not going bald"

I was shocked. Nobody in the room said anything, it's as though the humour of hair loss isn't a big deal. it's accepted.

Heres the shocker, two days before this our boss mention his gut, and I replied "yeah such and such could probaly keep up his pot belly is coming along way also." As a joke. I was shunned, and told to be sensitive, and watch what I say. if the wrong person reports me to somebody important then things won't look to good on me. Keep in mind Making fun of fatness which is by choice is very bad, but apparently making fun of someones disfigurement they have no choice over is okay.

Out of rep for you. But yes, I have noticed that too. There was this whale of a woman at work years ago and we got her chocolates as she was leaving in a week. She refused them saying she is very sensitive and everyone had to show some pity and reassure her. Other girls are very fake in this scenario lol and boys won't say much. I was thinking you can't be that sensitive if you still managed to stuff **** down your throat.

Well guess what? I overheard her saying that very week to a colleague about someone else "I can read right through him and see his mind, probably cause he has so little hair covering his brain"

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Out of rep for you. But yes, I have noticed that too. There was this whale of a woman at work years ago and we got her chocolates as she was leaving in a week. She refused them saying she is very sensitive and everyone had to show some pity and reassure her. Other girls are very fake in this scenario lol and boys won't say much. I was thinking you can't be that sensitive if you still managed to stuff **** down your throat.

Well guess what? I overheard her saying that very week to a colleague about someone else "I can read right through him and see his mind, probably cause he has so little hair covering his brain"

I got one of those comments. A kid told me I think I can see your brain. I told him at least I have one.

A coworker told me he wants to scribble a hairline on my head with his marker. I told him stand on a stack of phone books, then look me in the eye and say that.

shookwun

Reaction score
I can't believe it. This is the same foreman who called out a hat prisoner at work.

we were talking about food, and our favourite pizza place and out of no where he says "(name) are you by any chance bald" Everyone's laughing, and he's just stunned white, and cold. He hesistantly replied no just a little thinning on top, aiming towards his hat with his fingers all nervously. Meanwhile he's a NW6. He wears a hat everywhere he goes, even under his hard hat. He then replied "who asks something like that" The fore man the said "Oh, I was just wondering". Then one of the stupid newfies adds his two cents, "people tell me it's because of wearing a hat for to long, but I think it's hereditary." Rele idiot? no **** it's genetics.

Bald sympathy isn't exsistant, theirs absolutely zero sensitivity on this disease. Everyone looks at it as a source of humour. My mind is blown away

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got one of those comments. A kid told me I think I can see your brain. I told him at least I have one.

A coworker told me he wants to scribble a hairline on my head with his marker. I told him stand on a stack of phone books, then look me in the eye and say that.

I think you would have made him cry if he did that! Yes, it's a horrible common joke it seems for bald people.

Also Shookwun, bald people should never wear a hat I feel at work/social situations, it only worsens the issue when you take it off.

shookwun

Reaction score
Everyone wants to see what you're hiding under there.

either get a transplant, piece or shave it off.

Wearing a hat is the absolute stupidest thing to do. It might even feel liberating to take it off, and have nobody fooled anymore.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone wants to see what you're hiding under there.

either get a transplant, piece or shave it off.

Wearing a hat is the absolute stupidest thing to do. It might even feel liberating to take it off, and have nobody fooled anymore.

I always think that. It reeks of insecurity and will be viewed badly by men and women around you. Piece is different as although psychologically hard, point is people wear it in real life all day long. So you blend in with full hair, you're not technically "hiding" any thing in the eyes of everyday people. Recently found out 2-3 people have been wearing one all their lives, was an eye opener.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I think one of the worst ways to respond to bald insults is by blowing them off or joining in on the laughs. That is part of the reason why so many think it is OK. They figure we are laughing at it so it isn't a big deal. The only way people are going to start getting that this balding **** hurts is for us to start fighting fire with fire. If somebody starts ripping into you, then rip into them.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think one of the worst ways to respond to bald insults is by blowing them off or joining in on the laughs. That is part of the reason why so many think it is OK. They figure we are laughing at it so it isn't a big deal. The only way people are going to start getting that this balding **** hurts is for us to start fighting fire with fire. If somebody starts ripping into you, then rip into them.

But people HATE when you make them feel guilty for offending you. They will probably talk **** behind your back to other people until they can shift the blame from themselves being assholes to YOU being too sensitive.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
But people HATE when you make them feel guilty for offending you. They will probably talk **** behind your back to other people until they can shift the blame from themselves being assholes to YOU being too sensitive.

This will happen. You will be seen a bald beta/crybaby loser. There is a way to do it and way not to. Key is to remain balanced but not all attack. You don't have to laugh about it. Just don't be too sensitive.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Anyone watch the movie American Sniper? A dude hits on the girl. The girl says something like "You're 6 inches too short to hit on me".

There is no analog for negative comments towards women. You wont see a "you're too fat for me to be interested in you" or "you're too old..." type comments directed towards women in the media.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
More bald shaming:

[video=youtube;ag1LXPI__lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1LXPI__lc[/video]

How horrible!

I've never had to put up with something like that and I smoke Cannabis. I am not surprised that so many people disliked the video and are showing how upset they are about the humiliation in the comment section. Hair is important.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How horrible!

I've never had to put up with something like that and I smoke Cannabis. I am not surprised that so many people disliked the video and are showing how upset they are about the humiliation in the comment section. Hair is important.
yep. i am a huge fan of green too. it definitely is one of my main coping mechanisms for baldness lol. it helps me focus on things as they are instead of just my ideas/sensations that are just responses to how things really are. it's hard to explain lol.

but yea i feel it is one of those things that society used to misunderstand. ofc with washington and all legalizing it the world has been getting more rational about it.

kinda reminds me of baldness in its stigma and all that. hopefully same thing will happen with baldness one day

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
How do you afford the herbs and housing and food Exodus? Do you have a job?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you afford the herbs and housing and food Exodus? Do you have a job?
i live with my mom and buy weed usually with extra student loan money i have. I do not have a job. I cannot get one right now because I fear going out without a hat on.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
More bald shaming:

We are the jokes of society. I am beginning to learn that the quicker I realize it and deal with it, the better off I will be.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Exodus, you are still young but you have been thrust into a position that has forced you to see truths that are either glossed over or disregarded completley. Its maddening knowing the hipocracy of society while having to withstand its torments. Props to you exo, I can literally see your mind wrapping around the truth... as hard as it is to absorb.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
i live with my mom and buy weed usually with extra student loan money i have. I do not have a job. I cannot get one right now because I fear going out without a hat on.

I don't want to sound like an a**h** but you really shouldn't be buying drugs with debt. Maybe you should seek help for your social anxiety. You took a huge hit by going bald at a young age. It's extremely hard but people on the street don't really care about you. I have never in my life thought anything about bald men on the street, young or bald. I don't think baldness affects your job opportunities that much. All my college bald friends have very god jobs right now.

Women are another story, some of them will care very much about hair but they also tend to care about other stuff that you probably don't have. You're basically playing on hard mode when it comes to women but this doesn't men you can't still win. I really think that something like 10% of men are genuine attractive to women (think Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling), the rest have to rely on other things than looks.

diffuse2007

Reaction score

You need to get on ssri's , I had crippling social anxiety when i was severely balding and barley got outside for 2 years. You need to sort out your social anxiety now while your young or it's never going to get better. I can go out now and i don't give a **** anymore. It makes me sad to read your posts because i can relate.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting insight Fred, couldn't rep you. Do you still have bipolar if you don't mind me asking? Do you need Lithium? I do feel SSRIs would do more harm than good for Exodus. He does need some counselling though, it won't solve his problems but will help in the mean time while he waits to take action for his hair.