Fat shaming is bad. Bald shaming is encouraged. Why?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/26/news/companies/lilly-pulitzer-fat-drawings/

Spencer Kobren often says Hair loss is definitely the last bastion of political incorrectnes.

So, why is shaming of fat people, or people with acne, or other AESTHETIC problems such a big deal and gets an overwhelming amount of sympathy, but baldness is the ONLY issue that is openly encouraged to be humiliated. For example, Zoosk, a dating app, had an ad campaign that shamed bald people. Here's the ad:

2qs59na.jpg

Did anyone give a fuck? Did the social justice warriors come out swinging? No, because it's men and we don't exist but also because apparently baldness is supposed to be funny. Why?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/26/news/companies/lilly-pulitzer-fat-drawings/

Spencer Kobren often says Hair loss is definitely the last bastion of political incorrectnes.

So, why is shaming of fat people, or people with acne, or other AESTHETIC problems such a big deal and gets an overwhelming amount of sympathy, but baldness is the ONLY issue that is openly encouraged to be humiliated. For example, Zoosk, a dating app, had an ad campaign that shamed bald people. Here's the ad:

2qs59na.jpg

Did anyone give a fuck? Did the social justice warriors come out swinging? No, because it's men and we don't exist but also because apparently baldness is supposed to be funny. Why?

WRITE THIS ARTICLE PLEASE!

by the way it appears GONE ALREADY.

resu

Reaction score
Seems pretty dumb considering the type of people that use online dating services look like the type of person on the right.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, other than them making him bald they also messed with his teeth, his skin and even his eyebrows.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And what do you notice the most?

That's why saying baldness is on the same level as messed up teeth and bad skin.

I had to look twice to notice his bad teeth and the acne. You don't have to look twice to notice baldness.

True, that's the reason why I pointed it out. Most, especially on a hair loss forum, wouldn't notice.

I feel like they want to make clear that if you are bald you also must have bad teeth, skin and other things.

Maybe unconsciously humans link baldness to other traits, it seems they already linked it to bad traits like untrustworthy, weak etc.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes they are saying all those flaws exist together. I noticed them all. The thing is the teeth aren't that bad at all in the second picture. Just the left picture had perfect bleach white straight teeth. No one would obsess over the teeth in the second picture

The baldness screws him hard followed by the skin. But even that is not comparable to the lack of hair.

edit - just noticed the teeth are very yellow once I saw the picture properly (right size) on my phone wtf lol.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, other than them making him bald they also messed with his teeth, his skin and even his eyebrows.

People on twitter noticed baldness ONLY. Let's not act as if baldness is trumped by anything else when it comes to aesthetics, and clearly not in the case with assholes from Zoosk.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
They will indentify us and then they will round us up and send us to concentration camps to be exterminated. And everyone will cheer at the ushered extintion of the bald man to make way for a new age of aesthetic perfection. Guys like wolfpack will be so thrilled.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
They will indentify us and then they will round us up and send us to concentration camps to be exterminated. And everyone will cheer at the ushered extintion of the bald man to make way for a new age of aesthetic perfection. Guys like wolfpack will be so thrilled.

only Vin Deisel, the Rock, and Bruce WIllis can SAVE US! Lets start working on the script tonight UC!

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

Where did this come from? I am balding myself even if it is very slow and not that noticeable in the eyes of society. I have put my pictures up as well.

I just don't have double standards and remain grounded in reality. It was, is and always will be a serious disfigurement. That's why most men are unhappy over losing hair yet cope in different ways.

You couldn't eradicate it anyway, there are multiple genes involved and plenty of females and males carry it. All the genes are not identified either ;)

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score

VeprSuper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Where did this come from? I am balding myself even if it is very slow and not that noticeable in the eyes of society. I have put my pictures up as well.

I just don't have double standards and remain grounded in reality. It was, is and always will be a serious disfigurement. That's why most men are unhappy over losing hair yet cope in different ways.

You couldn't eradicate it anyway, there are multiple genes involved and plenty of females and males carry it. All the genes are not identified either ;)

Don't feel bad. He used to jump me too:)

I like UCM, though.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Well, arent you amognst that small group here that likes to post pics of weightlifters and male models? If I have mistaken you for another poster then apologies, and replace your name with theirs. Aesthetic definatley belongs in that group.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah thanks everyone. I do get a little precise describing looks/hair but no I don't post that stuff.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, why is shaming of fat people, or people with acne, or other AESTHETIC problems such a big deal and gets an overwhelming amount of sympathy, but baldness is the ONLY issue that is openly encouraged to be humiliated.

I spend a lot of time thinking about this. Why is it considered so offensive to make fun of any aesthetic problem but hair loss is the only one where it's fine to do so?

As I've stated in my posts before, with any problem, people are encouraged to solve whatever the issue is, but with hair loss, we're told to just get over it. It's too easy for someone with a mop of hair on their head to say to an individual who's thinning to just get over it.

I'm going to 'clear up' on why all of these other aesthetic issues don't make any sense. For example, someone is fat. They say to you that they want to lose weight, get rid of the fat, and get in better shape. Are you going to say to them to accept the way they are and just stay fat? No, of course not. You'll tell them to go on ahead and solve the issue. Same goes if someone suffers from acne, dry skin, eczema, or some other aesthetic problem.

But with hair loss, it's completely different. As I previously stated, we're told to just get over it. Also, we get told to just live with it, shave it off, accept our hair loss, and all these other nonsense offensive statements, especially when we get treated as if we brought Androgenetic Alopecia upon ourselves. Now why is that?

I am so sick of people asking for cures and solutions to problems that can be completely reversed, especially if they brought it upon themselves. Unlike hereditary hair loss, where it's out of our control and cannot be fully reversed. Us Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers are the ones with a real 'aesthetic' problem, and it's given the least attention. No cares about our health of us hair loss sufferers.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time thinking about this. Why is it considered so offensive to make fun of any aesthetic problem but hair loss is the only one where it's fine to do so?

Isn't it obvious?

Because hairloss affects primarily men.

Have you seen any hairloss jokes in media targeted at balding women? Nope.

Another aspect which is made fun of: shortness of men (eg the Tom Cruise is short jokes).

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious?

Because hairloss affects primarily men.

Have you seen any hairloss jokes in media targeted at balding women? Nope.

Another aspect which is made fun of: shortness of men (eg the Tom Cruise is short jokes).

I see, CaptainForehead.

Then what about female hair loss sufferers? Approximately 40% of hair loss sufferers are female. I've met women before who suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia and they've been told before to just live with it. How do you explain that? It hurts to live with a condition that you can't overcome.

resu

Reaction score
Men can't really who show concern over their baldness, society interprets it as a sign of vanity and weakness. So of course people (even other bald men) will try and exploit this because they know they won't get a reply back otherwise it shows that they're vain and weak. It's bullying, plain and simple, they pick on targets that they know won't hit back or that can be easily put down. The "shave it off brah" is seem as a sign of strength, it's a feat in many people's eyes, it shows courage because it's a very extreme look and it takes guts to shave ones head, of course it gets exploited too later on with comments such as "I can still see that he's bald". This is why when someone makes a joke about your baldness never show pity, never show weakness, never laugh it off, never make a joke about your baldness in advance, just say "yeah I know, it's genetic... there's nothing much I can do", you have to disarm them somehow without making you look weak, just shrug it off like it's nothing special.

Most balding women that I see are all past menopause, if most women started to bald like men do it's exactly like hellouser often says, it would be put on top of the list of "problems to solve" you can believe it. If tomorrow most young hot women started to bald it would be a calamity, the world would stop until we figured this one out.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought it was better to be open about it before but I changed my mind. No one wants to hear about your hair loss, except your fellow men on this forum of course. So yeah, keep it to yourself.

This is the truth.

Going bald is horrendous, and has caused me psychological problems. Along with that, no one even wants to listen to us talk about it. Heck, just bringing it up, it's too much for people to hear, including both full-heads and Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers in the real world, which I find quite saddening.

I suffered for over five years dealing with male pattern baldness without having anyone or any group to talk about on how tormenting it is to lose hair. Finding out about hair loss forums including this one has given me a lot of solace, especially that I can talk about my hair issues as much as I need to.

shookwun

Reaction score
At work one of the boys was covered in dust. We work around heavy machinery, and it gave him a a bit of a tan, and it made his bald spots replicate hair fibres/spray.

He requested to have a shower, because the shuttle buses that drive us home can be pickey due to hygiene, and being dirty in general.

Our fat obese foreman says "Atleast your bald spot is less noticeable on your head. It almost looks like your not going bald"

I was shocked. Nobody in the room said anything, it's as though the humour of hair loss isn't a big deal. it's accepted.

Heres the shocker, two days before this our boss mention his gut, and I replied "yeah such and such could probaly keep up his pot belly is coming along way also." As a joke. I was shunned, and told to be sensitive, and watch what I say. if the wrong person reports me to somebody important then things won't look to good on me. Keep in mind Making fun of fatness which is by choice is very bad, but apparently making fun of someones disfigurement they have no choice over is okay.