Facial Changes From Taking Propecia

SkinDiesel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

Seriously considering taking the plunge and starting on finasteride, however after trawling the internet I've found a concerning amount of people reporting changes in their facial structure after taking finasteride. Said changes seem to include collagen/fat loss resulting in a less defined jawline. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there's much truth to these claims?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another important facial structure change is that you may grow hair.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Seriously considering taking the plunge and starting on finasteride, however after trawling the internet I've found a concerning amount of people reporting changes in their facial structure after taking finasteride. Said changes seem to include collagen/fat loss resulting in a less defined jawline. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there's much truth to these claims?

Yes I experienced fat loss and/or collagen loss in face and probably elsewhere. I got hollow and sunken eyes and vey thin skin that I could drag out in a very unnatural way, very scary. I looked very sick and aged and I thought I would never recover. It has been 1-2 years now and have recovered to maybe 80 % still damage to area under eye. Although this side effects may be due to hormonal disturbance. I believe its a immunoallergic reaction to the substance which is very rare.
I'm not a fan of the drug and don't like the idea of it affecting our hormonal system, but if I was in your position now I would still try it again most people dont have any sides. If you are worried you can try other things first for a couple of months like topical spironolactone alfatradiol herbs etc

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I experienced fat loss and/or collagen loss in face and probably elsewhere. I got hollow and sunken eyes and vey thin skin that I could drag out in a very unnatural way, very scary. I looked very sick and aged and I thought I would never recover. It has been 1-2 years now and have recovered to maybe 80 % still damage to area under eye. Although this side effects may be due to hormonal disturbance. I believe its a immunoallergic reaction to the substance which is very rare.
I'm not a fan of the drug and don't like the idea of it affecting our hormonal system, but if I was in your position now I would still try it again most people dont have any sides. If you are worried you can try other things first for a couple of months like topical spironolactone alfatradiol herbs etc
Were you using minoxidil along when you were on it?

Just trying to rule it out. Since you said you recovered after quitting I guess that's a no.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My eyebrows are getting darker and eyebrows hair is longer than ever,some eyebrows hair reach the eye It's weird why finasteride is affecting the eyebrows, does DHT affecting eyebrows also,

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not applying monoxidil on my eyebrows, I have noticed that before getting on minoxidil.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, It's working very well, I have been on it for 5 months and a half, I have notice hair growth on the third moth, I wasn't expecting to see a result in such a short time.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what changes?
are there any expected changes?
I haven't notice any changes, only eyebrows.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Facial changes, lol, the most it can do is cause you to retain a little water in your face if you're eating like sh*t, but that happens without finasteride anyways. I thought this too though I won't lie, but I still get complimented on my jaw line so I really doubt it's doing anything to my face, besides keeping hair on top of it, and even that right now is questionable lol.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Makes complete sense to see facial changes. Raising estrogen levels could easily make your face softer and rounder.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man ur raising them by 10% maximum that is really insignificant. They can fluctuate that much from eating lots of dairy, soy, or cheese. As well as binge drinking. The body is a lot more complex than simply raising estrogen

I would disagree and I think if you observe closely enough you will find 100% of all users lose their leaness as the bodyfat starts to climb as one of the signs. Maybe you see something different not a problem for me just a different point of view I guess.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I would disagree and I think if you observe closely enough you will find 100% of all users lose their leaness as the bodyfat starts to climb as one of the signs. Maybe you see something different not a problem for me just a different point of view I guess.

I initially did gain a solid 10-12 when I started finasteride, but that's cause I was overeating, but I just dropped about 17 pounds of fat in the past month and a half and I'm 8 months on, I think short term you may notice something like this, but long term probably doesn't change much once your hormones adjust.

How long u been on it if u don't my asking? Yeah i totally think its impossible for it to do anything to ur face its a f*****g 1 mg pill lol

My brothers been on it for around 7 years and his jawline is still there, although mine was always sharper ;)

I'm a little over 8 months right now, like i said though, you have to look out for water retention and weight gain as I realized it's wayyyy easier to put on weight when your estrogen is up, bone changes are completely unlikely to happen, although if you put a 16 year old on finasteride I wouldn't be too surprised if he permanently changed the way his bones would have developed.

A little water retention can throw your facial aesthetics in the trash, I see this on people who aren't on finasteride tbh, sounds like an excuse and yet again another fear mongering aspect.

g.i joey

Reaction score

Oh ya? 100% of users get fat when they got on finasteride, id love to see your source bud

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh ya? 100% of users get fat when they got on finasteride, id love to see your source bud

I didn't write they get fat I wrote their bodyfat goes up. They could in fact end up weighing less. It's only observation on my part something for others to consider and maybe observe for themselves. I believe there is a redistribution of fat mostly depositing in the hip area and chest area creating a narrow shoulder wide hip looking appearance. I will see if I can find a study never really looked. Maybe you have different experience or different observations............no problem.

Last edited:

g.i joey

Reaction score
I didn't write they get fat I wrote their bodyfat goes up. They could in fact end up weighing less. It's only observation on my part something for others to consider and maybe observe for themselves. I believe there is a redistribution of fat mostly depositing in the hip area and chest area creating a narrow shoulder wide hip looking appearance. I will see if I can find a study never really looked. Maybe you have different experience or different observations............no problem.

Ultimately your theories remedy is nothing more than cleaning up your diet.. I do agree a raise in estrogen, no matter what % will redistribute the way your body stores fat and in which specific areas as well, no doubt of that, but op was talking about the facial structure, not weight gain, but more the way your facial bones are structured.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think there are plenty of experiences like the one below but I will try to find an actual study which might be difficult because studies that produce negative results are generally not funded and if they are and don't disprove in favor the the drug company they aren't published. Just part of how it all works. I would say a change in bodyfat percentages would show up in the face but of course the bone structure does not change with that I agree with you 100%

I continue to gain weight every day. I am freaking out big time! How can this happen after eight months!????????

I have a fat layer all around my mid section. Breast are starting to form. I have a layer of excess fat forming around my buttocks. I have not changed my diet. I have been 100 percent clean paleo. I have not changed my excercise routine. In fact, I have been working out more consistantly the past few weeks.

This is devastating. How after eight months does this happen!?

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think there are plenty of experiences like the one below but I will try to find an actual study which might be difficult because studies that produce negative results are generally not funded and if they are and don't disprove in favor the the drug company they aren't published. Just part of how it all works. I would say a change in bodyfat percentages would show up in the face but of course the bone structure does not change with that I agree with you 100%

I continue to gain weight every day. I am freaking out big time! How can this happen after eight months!????????

I have a fat layer all around my mid section. Breast are starting to form. I have a layer of excess fat forming around my buttocks. I have not changed my diet. I have been 100 percent clean paleo. I have not changed my excercise routine. In fact, I have been working out more consistantly the past few weeks.

There are many guys here on finastride no one complained about gaining weight, or facial changes, this is a single case ,and dosen't apply to everyone, and may be it's not even related finasteride.

Last edited:

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Basically what I'm trying to convey is that fat redistribution is possible and that includes the face and their are hundreds if not thousands that seemed to have had this experience. Doesn't mean it's going to happen just adding to the discussion. Doesn't matter to me if someone takes these medications. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Among other problems, Mark still suffers from a lack of nocturnal erections, genital numbness, and dulled orgasm. (See 10 more Terrible Things That Could Happen to Your Penis.) His libido has flatlined altogether, along with his zest for life. His once-defined musculature has given way to breast enlargement, atrophied arms, and female-pattern fat distribution in his hips—"this," he says, "despite keeping the same diet and exercise levels I had before ever taking the drug." He has recently joined a class-action suit—not for personal gain, he says, but in the hope that continuing pressure will convince Merck to fund further research into PFS.

http://www.menshealth.com/health/hair-raising-effect

g.i joey

Reaction score

If you just quoted propecia help as a source I'm sorry but you lost any and all credibility.

I won't be bothered to search it but someone came on here and said propecia made them gay and attracted to his own brother. Anecdotes are nothing but bullshit, especially with a drug like propecia that has so
Much fear mongering around it.

I don't deny propecia can help make you fat if you're eating sh*t and being lazy, but coming from someone who's always been fat, I was 300 pounds in my first couple years of highschool. I had sides when I tried propecia at 250, got back on at 225 8 months ago but now I'm now hovering around 205-210 and as long as I keep my diet in check I keep losing weight, same as before propecia.

Now, I have to say I think the side effects people complain abouT, fatigue, brain fog, laziness, depression. These may indirectly attribute to the weight gain people are talking about.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Basically what I'm trying to convey is that fat redistribution is possible and that includes the face and their are hundreds if not thousands that seemed to have had this experience. Doesn't mean it's going to happen just adding to the discussion. Doesn't matter to me if someone takes this medications. I'm trying to offend anyone.

Among other problems, Mark still suffers from a lack of nocturnal erections, genital numbness, and dulled orgasm. (See 10 more Terrible Things That Could Happen to Your Penis.) His libido has flatlined altogether, along with his zest for life. His once-defined musculature has given way to breast enlargement, atrophied arms, and female-pattern fat distribution in his hips—"this," he says, "despite keeping the same diet and exercise levels I had before ever taking the drug." He has recently joined a class-action suit—not for personal gain, he says, but in the hope that continuing pressure will convince Merck to fund further research into PFS.

http://www.menshealth.com/health/hair-raising-effect

Yeah, I'm fat, can I be part of this "class action suit" bunch of bs imo, I don't discount the sides, but he prob sat in his room crying and depressed about his "Pfs" and got fat along the way.

I know people in REAL LIFE who take propecia and they are all thin and fine, no facial changes, no female bodies, nothing.

Not discounting or taking away from anyone who has sides, but you're just kind of picking and choosing here

abcdefg

Reaction score
I do think hormones, and maybe things like gut bacteria all play a role in weight gain/loss. Like what your natural weight is that is easy to maintain. Some people dont have to watch their diet as much as others because there is more at play. I wont guess at why or how because I dont think anyone knows anyway

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a bs myth you just posted on. There are so many things in our lives that affect facial structure. If your diet is mostly junk food with preservatives in it your body will be inflamed like crazy triggering autoimmune and most likely people end up with a bloated face like that with an unhealtyhy diet and lifestyle. There can be so many more factors I cant think why would you put finasteride into discussion. I use dutasteride and have never experienced such thing like this no loss in energy, no weight gain like some people say here. It's crazy how people think a drug will make them gain more even they eat like sh*t and dont know how to follow a proper diet. Dont confuse people.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol, I haven't notice that, sorry man I was going to reply to your thread first but I forgot I guess finasteride is doing a great job. I hope it makes me forget that I'm bald, and you better be careful with pizza regimen long term it will give you man vagina.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Were you using minoxidil along when you were on it?

Just trying to rule it out. Since you said you recovered after quitting I guess that's a no.

Never used minoxidil. I thought it was common that your recover from minoxidil as well.

Reactions: WMQ