Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

DuckThisSheet

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this thread is more about HRT treatments, but I need some advice and some answers to my questions, and I know that smart people are involved here.

I am currently on 1mg Finasterid, 25mg oral minoxidil, dermapen

The results are good, but I would still like to improve my hairline a bit, where I have tiny hair. And here I have a few questions:

1. Dutasteride should give me a better regrowth than Finasteride? Can I start taking it every day? Or its better to take it every other day?
2. If I start treatment with dutaserid, give up Finasteride completely, or take both at the same time?
3. Adding 5mg oral minoxidil in the morning, does it make sense or not?

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been on dutasteride 2.5 mg for more than 2.5 years. I Don't think it's doing anything for my hair and in terms of price, it's costly. I want to scale it back to 0.5 mg. Any idea of how to do it safely?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this thread is more about HRT treatments, but I need some advice and some answers to my questions, and I know that smart people are involved here.

The results are good, but I would still like to improve my hairline a bit, where I have tiny hair. And here I have a few questions:

1. Dutasteride should give me a better regrowth than Finasteride? Can I start taking it every day? Or its better to take it every other day?
2. If I start treatment with dutaserid, give up Finasteride completely, or take both at the same time?
Dutasteride should give you better regrowth than finasteride. I recommend just taking it at 0.5mg (one gel capsule) a day, as I do. There's no need to take finasteride any longer if you are switching to dutasteride. Doing so will not give you any extra hair gains.

Regarding oral minoxidil, I'd have to say that I'm not one for recommending it at high doses such as 25mg a day, as it is risky stuff that can affect the heart. I wouldn't personally recommend going any higher than 5mg a day. I used to take oral minoxidil at 2.5mg a day, but I had to give it up as it was causing my eyes to be very puffy and swollen looking, making me look 20 years older than my age.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

1. Yeah, duta is considered more effective, but it ain't going to be deal breaker acc to me. Look out for duta shed though.
2. You might try duta once a week with finasteride ED. In one study they did this and found great improve over only finasteride.
3. I wouldn't recommend 30mg oral minoxidil. You arms, chest, legs will be hair as f*** with no guarantee of improved effectiveness.

What you may try at your own risk: 100mg (0r 200mg) Spironolactone or 25mg Cyproterone Acetate.

We are still looking for great results from Bicalutamide. In theory it should work great (better than spironolactone and cypro) with lesser sides.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride should give you better regrowth than finasteride. I recommend just taking it at 0.5mg (one gel capsule) a day, as I do. There's no need to take finasteride any longer if you are switching to dutasteride. Doing so will not give you any extra hair gains.

Regarding oral minoxidil, I'd have to say that I'm not one for recommending it at high doses such as 25mg a day, as it is risky stuff that can affect the heart. I wouldn't personally recommend going any higher than 5mg a day. I used to take oral minoxidil at 2.5mg a day, but I had to give it up as it was causing my eyes to be very puffy and swollen looking, making me look 20 years older than my age.
What is your regimen ATM? (Sorry I didn't see your response and also replied to him lol)

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your regimen ATM? (Sorry I didn't see your response and also replied to him lol)
No problem lol.
I'm just using dutasteride 0.5mg on its own at the moment. It seems to be doing the job just fine by itself, so I don't feel the need to add anything else for the time being. What's your regimen?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just over 4 months on spironolactone now, not feeling as hopeful as i was, my crown still looks like absolute sh*t when wet. When dry i can cover the balding with some careful combing though so i guess i am luckier than others. Really thinking about estradiol now but i'll give spironolactone another 8 or so months before deciding.

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just over 4 months on spironolactone now, not feeling as hopeful as i was, my crown still looks like absolute sh*t when wet. When dry i can cover the balding with some careful combing though so i guess i am luckier than others. Really thinking about estradiol now but i'll give spironolactone another 8 or so months before deciding.
I am in the same boat. Spironolactone is not as effective as others say.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem lol.
I'm just using dutasteride 0.5mg on its own at the moment. It seems to be doing the job just fine by itself, so I don't feel the need to add anything else for the time being. What's your regimen?
It's messy af - on 200mg spironolactone, 1mg finasteride and 10topical MorrF (minoxidil+fina combo). Slowly phasing out oral minoxidil since it is giving me incredible growth in my hands lol

Left4bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been on dutasteride 2.5 mg for more than 2.5 years. I Don't think it's doing anything for my hair and in terms of price, it's costly. I want to scale it back to 0.5 mg. Any idea of how to do it safely?

In my opinion if I were you, to reduce the dosages:
- I would keep 2.5 mg of duta every other day for a week or two, then 2.5 mg every 4 days during 1 or 2 weeks...
- I would switch to 2.0 mg every day for one or two weeks, then 2.0 mg every 4 days during 1 or 2 weeks....
- I would switch to 1.5mg every day for one or two weeks, then 1.5 mg every 4 days during 1 or 2 weeks....
And you keep lowering the doses like that until you reach 0.5 mg every day.

Last edited:

Left4bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
10 days after my last update . The hair continues to sprout over my old norwood 0 and on my vertex. I keep showing only (for now) my temples.

Right Temple :

IMG_20190916_225220.jpg

IMG_20190916_225509.jpg

IMG_20190916_230444.jpg

Left Temple :

IMG_20190916_180347.jpg
IMG_20190916_225644.jpg
IMG_20190916_225919.jpg

Last edited:

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Greed will destroy you, like many others here. Maybe adding duta will f*** up your results, be cautious.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s an update for everyone considering bicalutamide.

I’ve been on bicalutamide for almost 3 weeks now. My shedding has become ABSURD. I honestly don’t understand how I still have hair on my head with how much I’ve been shedding. My hair has become noticeably thinner. I’m not sure whether this is a good sign or bad sign. I know an initial shed on dutasteride/finasteride and Minoxidil generally means that it’s going to work well but I haven’t heard of that being the case with bicalutamide. Hopefully all this hair will grow back in stronger but who knows, I could just be losing all the hair I’d delayed losing by using Spironolactone. As I said previously I’ve seen an increase in libido and stronger erections since stopping Spironolactone and going on bicalutamide. I haven’t seen any difference in my dandruff or skin. As of recently it’s become slightly painful to press down on my right nipple although there’s no visible difference. It seems too early in the treatment to get gyno but that’s pretty irrefutable evidence. The gyno is something I accepted I’d get when I decided to take bicalutamide and I’m not upset by it. Obviously I’m anxious but I’m holding out hope. I didn’t expect to see results this early, but I also didn’t expect things to get this much worse. I’m considering starting the raloxifene I have stored to fend off gyno before it gets bad but I don’t want it to make my hairloss worse if it turns out bicalutamide isn’t working, so I could use some advice there.
Shedding might be due to hormonal shifts/imbalances, which causes Telogen Effluvium. In this case, either ride it out or stop the med. Some people stop the med and get back all lost hair, others continue and get much better regrowth. While some, on or off the drug, dont get the lost hair.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
my left is also my good side.. maybe because we have curly hair?

I was wondering about right handed and left hand. Is the side the hardest to recover the same side you are using a pen in your hand? Would be a great survey topic

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding might be due to hormonal shifts/imbalances, which causes Telogen Effluvium. In this case, either ride it out or stop the med. Some people stop the med and get back all lost hair, others continue and get much better regrowth. While some, on or off the drug, dont get the lost hair.
Well this is downright depressing. I guess I’ll ride it out, I don’t have any other options left for treatment so this really is my last resort before who knows what. I guess I could always super dose Spironolactone until one of those nifty stem cell generated hair transplants becomes a thing, but that’s not safe, sustainable, or necessarily effective.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well this is downright depressing. I guess I’ll ride it out, I don’t have any other options left for treatment so this really is my last resort before who knows what. I guess I could always super dose Spironolactone until one of those nifty stem cell generated hair transplants becomes a thing, but that’s not safe, sustainable, or necessarily effective.
Other than Telogen Effluvium, bica at the right doses should and will stop hair loss forever. I guess you should ride it out and keep a close eye on your shedding. Good luck.