EVERYONE Will Get Finasteride Side-Effects Eventually

Geezer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting new study:

Advances in Knowledge of Androgens: How Intentional and Accidental Neurosteroid Changes Inform Us of Their Action and Role​

Recent Findings​

Neurosteroids are produced in the brain and peripheral nerves, independent of endocrine glands have been investigated for how they are regulated, and have actions via non-steroid receptor targets to mediate social, affective, and cognitive behavior and to protect the brain. Androgens’ organizing actions in the peri-natal period have effects throughout the lifetime that may be recapitulated later in life during critical periods and at times of challenge. Developmental changes in androgens occur during mid-childhood, adrenarche, puberty, adolescence, young adulthood, middle age, and andropause. Changes in androgens with a 5α-reductase inhibitor, such as finasteride, result in disruptions in organizational and activational functions of androgens that can be unremitting.

Summary​

Normal developmental or perturbation in androgens through other means can cause changes in androgen-sensitive phenotypes throughout the lifespan, in part through actions of neurosteroids.
I’ve read this study and it’s pretty interesting. However many of this is predicting what may happen based on aging and trying to correlate time periods of getting BPH and neurological diseases. Of course I’ve also made my statement why at this point in time rat studies are pretty useless in terms of correlating severity of side effects to human when taking finasteride.

Again we break down as we age and we actually know testosterone and androgenic compounds in general are not good for long term health in high doses. Again though it’s a balancing act. Many guys on trt may only live till 65-75 but live a more “virile lifestyle” compared to the healthy individuals who doesn't try to supplement test, will live longer but not have youthful characteristics and lifestyle.

A huge reason topical testosterone is typically not suggest is actually due to greater rates of CVD mainly because of testosterone being to much converted to DHT and which at high quantity’s be harmful to many body parts.

Again simple studies need to be done. Take individuals, put them on finasteride, over the span of 5-10 years compare to placebo and measure the cognitive testing scores as well as overall well-being. I think when people try and get to a*** about digging deep into any drug or supplements you can come up with 100 of theories, predictions and correlations.

Anyways everyone who hasn’t please read the article, had lots of good info on the basic spectrum of neurosteriods and androgens.

good night

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its title says ''Everyone will Get finasteride side-effects eventually '' and then (This is about sexual side effects)

So instead of making generalizations I'll answer some of the points purely based on my personal experiences.

I have personally not noticed any loss of quality after 20years on finasteride

Ive never had any thoughts of erectile dysfunction in my life, or experienced it

There is no increased time, its exactly the same function from my teenage years.

physical stimuli? are we taking Images or touching here? surely its not a useful skill to be able to hold an erection for hours on end for no actual purpose?

Down the line? How many more years down the line can one expect this happen if it hasn't happened yet after 20?

There are long time users, including myself who have the same erectile function as before they started. Its impossible to claim to know what every person on finasteride is experiencing.

People have been taking this for 25years, why not just ask some of them.

May well be true.

like most average people who take finasteride I don't consider myself for or against finasteride, its just a product, I take it because, in my case its been effective, Ive never mentioned to anyone that they should take it, I've only posted this information here because, its making out that everyone who takes finasteride will experience ED issues, when in my experience that's clearly not the case

how can you even remember what your erections were like 25 years ago.

Are you telling me that if you went on steroids today and increased your androgenic activity by 2-10 times you wouldn’t have a significantly higher sex drive or better and more frequent erections?

I’m glad your penile function is good if what you say is true but obviously the reduction of androgens has had sone impact on your behaviour/sex drive/life in general for the past 25 years, you just haven’t noticed it... which imo makes you very lucky

Valkyyr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Completely agree OP.

It's only a matter of time before you get and notice side effects. DHT is imperative and crucial for many functions in the body, I know balding guys here want to ignore that simple biological fact and try to cope any way they can by lying to themselves that blocking a hormone for years will only have "minor" side effects.

Most will have to learn the hard way sadly.

Can you name those functions? Because op wrote a bunch of nonsense about smooth muscle of the penis and how dht makes it stronger... Cool but it's not a penis muscle and erection is actualy caused by relaxation of this muscle.

Finasteride doesn't reduce DHT 100%, only as much as 70%

Most crucial hormone as it comes to sex drive is testosterone, and after that estrogen, in that order. Erectile dysfunction is independent from hormone levels. You can have testes shut down from steroid cycle and still be able to get an erection. Sex hormones only regulate libido and drive, not actual mechanical/physiological ability to get a boner.

Lot of fallacies in op post, most hilarious one is how they should perform the studies, and if they would then anything what op would be true :D

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, even if I did get a drop in libido / mild ED / lower semen volume i wouldn't keep on using it because I see it as a worthy trade off for using the most effective and widley available drug there is for men's hair loss ATM. The only thing that I'm actually worried about with finasteride is growing gyno, but that's one of the rarest sides.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you name those functions? Because op wrote a bunch of nonsense about smooth muscle of the penis and how dht makes it stronger... Cool but it's not a penis muscle and erection is actualy caused by relaxation of this muscle.

Finasteride doesn't reduce DHT 100%, only as much as 70%

Most crucial hormone as it comes to sex drive is testosterone, and after that estrogen, in that order. Erectile dysfunction is independent from hormone levels. You can have testes shut down from steroid cycle and still be able to get an erection. Sex hormones only regulate libido and drive, not actual mechanical/physiological ability to get a boner.

Lot of fallacies in op post, most hilarious one is how they should perform the studies, and if they would then anything what op would be true :D
lol at this

estrogen is only beneficial in minimal amounts, any increase beyond the necessary amounts results in horrible ED and low libido
Testosterone by itself is much weaker than DHT and its conversion to estradiol means it’s not able to deliver a very strong local androgenic response

you know so little, give it time...

Valkyyr

My Regimen
Reaction score
estrogen is only beneficial in minimal amounts, any increase beyond the necessary amounts results in horrible ED and low libido

This will be my only and last response to you, cause i feel you are likely a troll .

It's not about the increase of a single hormone, it's about the ratio. If you inject test you get much more test and much more estrogen (aromatase), yet you get a higher libido, even when estrogen is so high that it may cause gyno.

Testosterone by itself is much weaker than DHT

DHT only has a higher binding affinity to the androgenic receptor, it's anabolic to androgenic ratio is the same as testosterone (1:1) and it's present at much lower concentration in plasma. DHT activity is secondary for sexual function, and finasteride doesn't eradicate it 100% Most men will get it cut in half, which is not even doing anything to sexual function but it might save them some folllicles...

you know so little, give it time...

You know nothing compared to me. Bye, troll.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
God have mercy on these long time finasteride users when they ultimately are forced to quit. When you hear the word “crash” you’ll no longer think of a car or plane, or the 2005 Oscar winning film that interweave connected stories about race, status and cringe.

sboubars

My Regimen
Reaction score
This will be my only and last response to you, cause i feel you are likely a troll .

It's not about the increase of a single hormone, it's about the ratio. If you inject test you get much more test and much more estrogen (aromatase), yet you get a higher libido, even when estrogen is so high that it may cause gyno.

DHT only has a higher binding affinity to the androgenic receptor, it's anabolic to androgenic ratio is the same as testosterone (1:1) and it's present at much lower concentration in plasma. DHT activity is secondary for sexual function, and finasteride doesn't eradicate it 100% Most men will get it cut in half, which is not even doing anything to sexual function but it might save them some folllicles...

You know nothing compared to me. Bye, troll.
valkyrr doesnt your boyfriend get angry when your dick doesnt get hard

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
God have mercy on these long time finasteride users when they ultimately are forced to quit.
Forced to quit by whom exactly? the finasteride police?

Can you show me some data, showing that everyone who has been on finasteride without any noticeable side effects for 20-25years, is going to be
''forced to quit'', and What timeline are we talking about here? will I be ''forced to quit'' in the next 24hrs?, 24 days, 24 months, or will I be ok for another 20years? I'm interested to know because I'd rather not buy too much stock of Proscar in advance just incase i'm ''forced to quit'' before I've finished this batch? Thanks for your help.
When you hear the word “crash” you’ll no longer think of a car or plane, or the 2005 Oscar winning film that interweave connected stories about race, status and cringe.
You forgot the ''Wall Street Crash'' the 1996 David Cronenberg film ''Crash" and ''Crash'' Bandicoot

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
alkyrr doesnt your boyfriend get angry when your dick doesnt get hard
What a fantastic and insightful reply, thank you so much for sharing

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forced to quit by whom exactly? the finasteride police?

Can you show me some data, showing that everyone who has been on finasteride without any noticeable side effects for 20-25years, is going to be
''forced to quit'', and What timeline are we talking about here? will I be ''forced to quit'' in the next 24hrs?, 24 days, 24 months, or will I be ok for another 20years? I'm interested to know because I'd rather not buy too much stock of Proscar in advance just incase i'm ''forced to quit'' before I've finished this batch? Thanks for your help.

You forgot the ''Wall Street Crash'' the 1996 David Cronenberg film ''Crash" and ''Crash'' Bandicoot
Mate, I love crash bandicoot and David Cronenberg - The Fly is a masterpiece!

After 20 years it’s probably best you don’t.

Akai

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven't been on this forum in years. Looks like there is still bald/balding people trying to convince other men not to save their hair. Misery loves company I guess. I took a SSRI for a few months years back & got side effects. Still doesn't mean I would campaign for people not to treat their condition with a SSRI. I've been on finasteride for 8 years. So glad I didn't get talked out of it. And w/companies like ForHims, etc., there are millions more people taking it. Go see an actual doctor who went to medical school & to discuss about using finasteride. Not strangers on a forum who want nothing more than you to go bald. Not to say there aren't risks or if finasteride will even work for you.

Some people like Ashton Kutcher can take dutasteride for 20 years w/no sides. Some can take propecia & get a lot of sides.

Last edited:

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
*20 years on finasteride, 20 days on HairLossTalk.com. Doubtful

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very suspicious we're having new accounts happen to pop up in a fina side effect thread telling everyone they're taking fina for decades without any sides...
Not really....., although The majority of average long term finasteride users have nothing to report on forums about, the lockdown gives people more time than they previously had to spend time on places like forums . I used to look at hair loss forums in early 2000's and the forums were full of discussions about people taking finasteride, which is no different from now. . people who have been regularly taking it for 20-25 years are not uncommon.

the majority of finasteride users worldwide are taking Generic (non Merck branded) finasteride, there is nothing to be gained by reporting I haven't experienced any noticeable sides during that time.

*20 years on finasteride, 20 days on HairLossTalk.com. Doubtful

There is no logic in that statement.

Last edited:

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really....., although The majority of average long term finasteride users have nothing to report on forums about, the lockdown gives people more time than they previously had to spend time on places like forums . I used to look at hair loss forums in early 2000's and the forums were full of discussions about people taking finasteride, which is no different from now. . people who have been regularly taking it for 20-25 years are not uncommon.

the majority of finasteride users worldwide are taking Generic (non Merck branded) finasteride, there is nothing to be gained by reporting I haven't experienced any noticeable sides during that time.

There is no logic in that statement.
I could have predicted that comment verbatim.

So this guy has been reading these forums for the past 20 years but only 20 days ago decides he’s going to log on and comment. The amount of guy bashing finasteride over the last 20 years must have drove you crazy, judging by your passionate responses now! but nah, you just let them slide. Didn’t fancy updating with a 2 year before and after. A 5 year? What about a 10 year? That would have really been a slap in the face to anyone bashing finasteride. You with your all your hair and not one single side affect! But no, you keep silent. You were a busy man before Covid. What about now? A twenty 20 year before and after would really be something. Cameras were around in 2001. But nah, you decide after 20 years to pop on and tell people about how “sub optimal” generics are and that they should purchase propecia and proscar for optimal results.

“The problem with alot of the generic finasteride, is that you are actually buying a product that was formulated, costed and manufactured to be affordable to people in India on extremely low incomes, that is the original purpose of the Indian Generics Industry, the drugs were only meant to be originally available in India, where a philosophy of ''close enough, is good enough'' rules supreme. The industry has been so successful that India now exports generic medicines all over the world which is great for them, but it doesn't change the fact that when you buy accord you are actually buying rebranded Finalo or one of their other ultra low budget local products, that's been repacked and price hiked for the International market. I don't know if Accord is the only brand you have tried ? but at some point it might be worth asking yourself how many more years are you prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt? before you think its worth trying a different brand just in case it does make a difference?”

finasteride is finasteride.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
So this guy has been reading these forums for the past 20 years but only 20 days ago decides he’s going to log on and comment.
Nope I haven't read any hairloss forums since the early 2000's

Didn’t fancy updating with a 2 year before and after. A 5 year? What about a 10 year?
Nope.. Nothing has changed
anyone bashing finasteride
Nope I couldn't care less if anyone bashes finasteride, I don't care if people take it or not.

A twenty 20 year before and after would really be something.
If finasteride continues to work well for you, your hair will essentially look the same, in my case only a slight loss over time.

But nah, you decide after 20 years to pop on and tell people about how “sub optimal” generics are and that they should purchase propecia and proscar for optimal results.
Yes, that's actually exactly why I signed up, to report that after 20 years on various generics and proscar, some of the generics since 2014 were ineffective in my case. switching to a different generic or back to Proscar reversed any losses. Nowhere in that post does it advise anyone to buy Propecia.

finasteride is finasteride.
If you want to believe cheap Indian or Chinese generics are all created 100% equally then that's up to you.
https://www.wolfhair.com/wp-content...-Name-vs-Generic-Finasteride-Jan-Feb-2016.pdf

There is still no logic in what you have said, you are essentially suggesting that nobody is allowed to join a forum and comment unless they are a Noob, and that anyone with any personal experience on a topic that is different from your own must be lying.

Last edited:

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
that's actually exactly why I signed up, to report that after 20 years on various generics and proscar, some of the generics since 2014 were ineffective in my case. switching to a different generic or back to Proscar reversed any losses.
Thanks. Any pics?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Any pics?
No unfortunately not, I Started losing my hair in my teens. my hair is not so dissimilar from how it looked in my early 20's,but never recovered the hair I lost prior to starting finasteride, its only ever really ''gone to sh*t'' a couple of time since 2014

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No unfortunately not, I Started losing my hair in my teens. my hair is not so dissimilar from how it looked in my early 20's,but never recovered the hair I lost prior to starting finasteride, its only ever really ''gone to sh*t'' a couple of time since 2014
Which brand of finasteride did you notice was ineffective, and what brand of finasteride do you use now ? Probably doesn’t matter but I’m curious

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which brand of finasteride did you notice was ineffective, and what brand of finasteride do you use now ? Probably doesn’t matter but I’m curious
ok no problem.
CIPLA FINCAR 5mg(Made In India): for all intents and purposes worked, but over a 7 year period the very front of my hairline became weaker/thinner......
ACTAVIS AIDEEM 1mg(Made In India): ineffective (Caused my hair to continually shed excessively/miniaturize)
ACCORD 1mg(Made In India): ineffective (Caused my hair to continually shed excessively/miniaturize)
PROSTACOM 5mg: ineffective(Caused my hair to continually shed excessively/miniaturize)
PROSTIDE 5mg: Worked

In the early part of the 2000's there were only a few Generic finasteride brands(dr Reddy's, Cipla etc , since 2014 especially there now seams to be hundreds.

Have now gone back to 5mg Proscar(finasteride made in Italy) I would have actually stayed on the last generic that I had success with but it was discontinued.
Incidentally the years supply of 5mg Proscar I now get is half the price I was paying for the Accord/Actavis 1mg Generic.

This seams to be user specific as many people swear there is no difference.

Last edited: