EVERYONE Will Get Finasteride Side-Effects Eventually

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of fear mongering in this thread. 5a reductase deficient people exist. And they aren’t neurologically affected in such a way to be morbidly depressed all the time. Have you guys thought that maybe your depression post finasteride or dutasteride is really a result of your ongoing anxiety about hair loss? That the most effective medication doesn’t agree with you since you got sides on them?

And for those with seemingly a lack of libido or feeling in their dick, why does your hair loss continue off of finasteride? It would make sense if the low libido sides are still there then the dht inhibition in your hormonal system would also at least maintain your hair. But nope, your hormonal system is fucked up by finasteride, except now you paradoxically lose any hair protective effect associated with low dht.

Some people take finasteride for years, and are hyper aware about any changes to their dick. That’s all it is I think. The natural aging process reduces libido and virility, combined with a drug that may temporarily affect that, a person can involuntarily develop an imaginary mental connection between persistent sexual sides and post finasteride. Years after they’ve stopped taking the drug.

They tested a 25 year old man with self diagnosed PFS. That means they looked at his hormonal system, blood levels, and organic system. They found no abnormalities. The science isn’t showing anything there. They actually think it’s a psychosomatic illness.

Maybe the androgen receptors were permanently affected somehow so PFS is actually a matter of reduced sensitivity, but again, wouldn’t that mean hair loss would stop? Or that supplementing with testosterone would solve it really quick. But nope, it’s not as simple as that.

I’m of the opinion that pharmaceuticals of any kind should be avoided until it becomes necessary. Aka wanting to stop balding because you want to save your self image. Because we tend to make these mental associations that don’t really exist when sides hit us. This causes depression and a feeling of losing control.

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of fear mongering in this thread. 5a reductase deficient people exist. And they aren’t neurologically affected in such a way to be morbidly depressed all the time.
5AR deficiency is rare, it's most common in Las Salinas which has a whopping population of 6k. It's often recognized by puberty and when diagnosed is treated with some form of hormone therapy. These people aren't just born with a 5AR deficiency and cruise through life like a normal person who just happens to be deficient in this enzyme. Not to mention this condition is most prevalent in undeveloped/third world populations and they are often badly treated and regarded as abnormal outside of the Dominican Republic.

Considering how rare the condition is, it's not like we have a huge pool of data to draw from as if there's a bunch of people with 5AR deficiencies in the western world that have been interviewed to probe their mental health and know whether or not they truly have cognitive issues. I'd be interested in whatever source or data you're drawing from to make the conclusion that they have no cognitive defects that don't require any sort of hormone intervention. (Hint: You don't have one.)

And for those with seemingly a lack of libido or feeling in their dick, why does your hair loss continue off of finasteride? It would make sense if the low libido sides are still there then the dht inhibition in your hormonal system would also at least maintain your hair. But nope, your hormonal system is fucked up by finasteride, except now you paradoxically lose any hair protective effect associated with low dht.

Who says it continues in every case? What if it didn't halt their hair loss to begin with?
Libido is complicated and when you throw an endocrine bomb like Finasteride into your system, it could be any number of alterations that result in lowered libido or ED. Allopregnanolone supposedly has pro-libido properties and is depleted by Finasteride. Just because your 5AR gets restored, doesn't necessarily mean that a person's neurosteroid levels are back to where they were previously.

For the record, I don't personally believe PFS is untreatable. Most people simply don't have a full baseline hormone panel to see exactly what's been thrown out of whack, and even if they do, they still need to understand how one thing effects another. How estrogen/testosterone affects serotonin/dopamine balance, neurosteroids, prolactin, thyroid, etc. Any or all of these markers being altered can result in cognitive and behavorial changes.

Last edited:

Mo45

My Regimen
Reaction score
What age are you and what have your results been like?
Im 48 and initially it helped grow hairs especially over the crown and I think its helped to retain hair. My hair has very very slowly receded atvthectemples and front so Im looking into how to get advodart as well

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Alterations of gut microbiota composition in post-finasteride patients: a pilot study​

Abstract​

Purpose​

Post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) has been reported in a subset of patients treated with finasteride (an inhibitor of the enzyme 5alpha-reductase) for androgenetic alopecia. These patients showed, despite the suspension of the treatment, a variety of persistent symptoms, like sexual dysfunction and cognitive and psychological disorders, including depression. A growing body of literature highlights the relevance of the gut microbiota-brain axis in human health and disease. For instance, alterations in gut microbiota composition have been reported in patients with major depressive disorder. Therefore, we have here analyzed the gut microbiota composition in PFS patients in comparison with a healthy cohort.

Methods​

Fecal microbiota of 23 PFS patients was analyzed by 16S rRNA gene sequencing and compared with that reported in ten healthy male subjects.

Results​

Sexual dysfunction, psychological and cognitive complaints, muscular problems, and physical alterations symptoms were reported in more than half of the PFS patients at the moment of sample collection. The quality sequence check revealed a low library depth for two fecal samples. Therefore, the gut microbiota analyses were conducted on 21 patients. The α-diversity was significantly lower in PFS group, showing a reduction of richness and diversity of gut microbiota structure. Moreover, when visualizing β-diversity, a clustering effect was found in the gut microbiota of a subset of PFS subjects, which was also characterized by a reduction in Faecalibacterium spp. and Ruminococcaceae UCG-005, while Alloprevotella and Odoribacter spp were increased compared to healthy control.

Conclusion​

Gut microbiota population is altered in PFS patients, suggesting that it might represent a diagnostic marker and a possible therapeutic target for this syndrome.

I can post many more studies indicating what every rational person already knows, fina is more dangerous than the young, balding guy on the internet desperately wants to believe. Also note that most of the studies I just posted aren't old and quite recent. It's clearer than ever that using 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors brings with it many health risks.
Pigeon. For the love of god. Shut the f*** up already. Not one person read any of that. Not. One. You don’t feel like a weirdo for posting and collecting so much information on a drug that you don’t even take? Is that how you cope with your choice to not take finasteride, or do you really give that much of a f*** what random strangers on the internet use to keep their hair? Chill out weirdo!

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you easily get erect without any physical stimulation just from visual arousal? On no ED meds?

cuz if not u have ED
Omg this forum is literally filled with clinically insane people . You sir are asking this man, who’s saying he does not have any sides effects, and is HAPPY with his hair and libido, if his dick can get hard without touching it see a therapist you nut job

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you easily get erect without any physical stimulation just from visual arousal? On no ED meds?

cuz if not u have ED

An erection is an erection, doesn't really matter how you get it as long as you do imo. End result is still the same, able to have sex, masturbate etc small price to pay for hair but i guess that is for each individual to decide.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh look the first butthurt idiot who is too emotionally invested in his pills and takes any critique on his precious pills as a personal attack has arrived.

If you can't deal with reality stay out of this thread. And you're too retarded to understand any of the studies anyway. So let it be noted, the first ones who are always resorting to insulting are the fools like this without arguments, not the people who point out the dangers of fina.

@Mo45 Hope for you that's true.
Why do you care you don’t take finasteride . I only take it 3 times per week, I’m not really that invested lol. Why study so much Info on something you don’t use ? BRB let me learn everything I can about cars and then not own one or work with them. Chill out weirdo

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took it for 2 years and I'm interested in how it works. How is that weird? Why are you still on this forum if you're taking finasteride? For some that's also weird. Just lol at this ridiculous reasoning. You are interested in X so now you are a weirdo. Lol the kind of copes people come up with....
People discuss hair loss , new treatments, how their current regimen isn’t working. You spend 100% of your time researching a drug you don’t take, and convincing people not to take a drug that you don’t take. That is absurd. I have never ever seen someone post 4 pages worth of studies , that doesn’t even take finasteride. Your hair probably sucks, and you probably cope with the fact that u can’t tolerate finasteride, by researching how bad finasteride is for you. And don’t even get me wrong , I don’t love taking finasteride. There’s a risk reward. No one gives a f*** what you think about it, and you don’t need to keep voicing your opinion..... we get it. And for the 10th time , you should post a pic of your hair. Idk why you wouldn’t ?

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took it for 2 years and I'm interested in how it works. How is that weird? Why are you still on this forum if you're taking finasteride? For some that's also weird. Just lol at this ridiculous reasoning. You are interested in X so now you are a weirdo. Lol the kind of copes people come up with....
How tf am I coping? YOU are coping. And you project it on other people. I don’t give af what other people take? But you seem to. For the 2nd time now, your coping with your choice to not use the best hair loss treatment. End of discussion. If finasteride affects me negativity, I have no problem with stopping. No one gives a f*** what your weird insecure *** thinks about a medicine you don’t take.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for over 20 years and not had any noticeable side effects.........morning wood, afternoon wood, evening wood, I haven't noticed any difference from being in my mid-teens to being in my early forties, it all still works like a teenager, in that respect....

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for over 20 years and not had any noticeable side effects.........morning wood, afternoon wood, evening wood, I haven't noticed any difference from being in my mid-teens to being in my early forties, it all still works like a teenager, in that respect....

Nice to hear such a long term users input, what norwood were you when you started and has your hair deteriorated at all in that amount of time?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 2 I guess, my hairline has lost about a further 1 - 1.5cm over the 20years but its even, if that makes sense, so looks like normalish hairline for a 40+ year old. Ive had periods on some generics, that for whatever reason were not effect, and my hair starts to diffuse thin in a norward 4A pattern and shows where i assume I would be without finasteride.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 2 I guess, my hairline has lost about a further 1 - 1.5cm over the 20years but its even, if that makes sense, so looks like normalish hairline for a 40+ year old. Ive had periods on some generics, that for whatever reason were not effect, and my hair starts to diffuse thin in a norward 4A pattern and shows where i assume I would be without finasteride.
How old were you when you started finasteride?