Dutasteride To Maintain A Norwood 1.5

Dangebors

My Regimen
Reaction score
So i experienced some hair loss for the last year or so, its not severe or agressive but enough to bother me and obsess over it, the thought of losing my hair in the next few years because i didnt take action as early as i could made me crazy, i even got depressed for a few months. I went to a dermatologist today, he checked my hair and told me that my hair could have been receded a bit but that there are no signs of male pattern baldness , and that its a normal hair for my age (im 27) but after telling him i wanted to try to maintain it and that all males in my family (except my father that has some thinning in the crown and hairline that started a few years ago, he is almost 70) went bald young, he recommended me to take 0.25 mg a day of dutasteride or a 0.5mg pill every other day, he told me that side effects are rare, and that if i experienced some of them i could just stop with the treatment.

So he told me that there is no guarantee that i have male pattern baldness and that maybe my hair could stay like this until im 70, but i have the recipe for dutasteride now and i could start the treatment tomorrow and get a bit of peace of mind knowing that at least im doing something and maybe stop obsessing over it. The thing is that im a bit worried about the stories ive been reading about major shedding and losing the hairline withing few months of starting it and other side effects, how likely is that to happen with that dose? Do you guys recommend me starting the treatment with dutasteride if im at most a Norwood 1.5?

Thank you in advance

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your doctor recommended dutasteride over finasteride?

I would start with finasteride; it’s cheaper and will have less chance of sides.

Pics of your hair?

Dangebors

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your doctor recommended dutasteride over finasteride?

I would start with finasteride; it’s cheaper and will have less chance of sides.

Pics of your hair?

The price of both is similar here in my country , and yes he recommended me dutasteride over finasteride because he told me side effects are not as common and that it's more effective.

And I'm sorry but I won't take a photo, I have a lot of hair, but if feel my hairline has receded a bit in the last year, but my family and friends say otherwise, the doctor told me that maybe has receded a bit but that is barely noticiable and that it could stay like this , but knowing my family history and after telling him that pretty much all hair I was losing was thin and short, he told me to take dutasteride in the doses I said in my first post to prevent further loss, but that I might not need it. But I still have doubts whether to take it or not

Dangebors

My Regimen
Reaction score
bumping this again, sorry but im a bit worried about it , my doctor was really confident that dutasteride was safe, but i keep reading stories here that are a bit terrifying, so i dont wanna decide without taking into account all pros and cons

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The price of both is similar here in my country , and yes he recommended me dutasteride over finasteride because he told me side effects are not as common and that it's more effective.

And I'm sorry but I won't take a photo, I have a lot of hair, but if feel my hairline has receded a bit in the last year, but my family and friends say otherwise, the doctor told me that maybe has receded a bit but that is barely noticiable and that it could stay like this , but knowing my family history and after telling him that pretty much all hair I was losing was thin and short, he told me to take dutasteride in the doses I said in my first post to prevent further loss, but that I might not need it. But I still have doubts whether to take it or not
Are you from a country where dutasteride is aproved for hair loss? As this might explain why it is being prescribed before finasteride.

Dangebors

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you from a country where dutasteride is aproved for hair loss? As this might explain why it is being prescribed before finasteride.

no, im from spain. He told me that i had three options, finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil, and that if i wanted to take the pill route dutasteride was safer and more effective.

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no, im from spain. He told me that i had three options, finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil, and that if i wanted to take the pill route dutasteride was safer and more effective.
Definitely wouldnt say it is safer as it prohibites another type of DHT that doesnt cause hair loss as well as 98% of the one that does, finasteride has been extensively researched for long term use on hairloss over the past 20 years dutasteride hasnt had this level of research for hair loss, you will probably be fine but its kind of like using a machine gun when a pistol would have done the job, may as well see if you react to the milder one well before trying the stronger as to not risk sides and put you off meds altogether.

Dangebors

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer, i was surprised honestly when he suggested me to take that over finasteride, he told me that at most dutasteride side effects could be less strong erections, and watery semen, but that stopping the treatment would reverse that. He told me to go see him in four months , maybe I will tell him at that time that I prefer to start with finasteride instead, but I don't know if I can handle another four months of being paranoid about being losing my hair while doing nothing, but I don't wanna risk my health if dutasteride is too strong

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer, i was surprised honestly when he suggested me to take that over finasteride, he told me that at most dutasteride side effects could be less strong erections, and watery semen, but that stopping the treatment would reverse that. He told me to go see him in four months , maybe I will tell him at that time that I prefer to start with finasteride instead, but I don't know if I can handle another four months of being paranoid about being losing my hair while doing nothing, but I don't wanna risk my health if dutasteride is too strong
https://www.holdthehairline.com/dutasteride-hair-loss/

Have a look at this website it gives you more detail about both medications

Dangebors

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.holdthehairline.com/dutasteride-hair-loss/

Have a look at this website it gives you more detail about both medications

Thank you, that's interesting. So even if I take 0.25 mg instead of 0.5 mg a day like my dermatologist told me, side effects are more likely to appear than if I use finasteride ?

Using dutasteride at norwood 1.5.

Lol.

That's why I opened the post in the first place, it sound strange to me, but the derm seemed to know what he was talking about, and as far as I know it doesn't matter if I'm 1.5 or 3, because regrow either using finasteride or dutasteride is rare right?

manda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bro your hairloss sounds not being aggressive and you caught it pretty early. Idk why your Doctor recommended dutasteride but you should def start with finasteride first. Most most probably it'll stop any further loss so there's no need for someone like you to take dutasteride..dutasteride is like the last chance of treatment if everything else doesn't work.

So: jump on fina and assess its impact after couple of months.

Umber

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion you should go on dutasteride. If you're experiencing hair loss already in your twenties, and with that family history, you're bound to experience relatively major hair loss further down the line, and in that case you might as well hop on the strongest regimen out there. Like your doctor said, according to medical studies, there's no larger risk to experience side effects from dutasteride compared to finasteride

Charlie Foxtrot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion you should go on dutasteride. If you're experiencing hair loss already in your twenties, and with that family history, you're bound to experience relatively major hair loss further down the line, and in that case you might as well hop on the strongest regimen out there. Like your doctor said, according to medical studies, there's no larger risk to experience side effects from dutasteride compared to finasteride
A nw1,5 is really not that bad for a 27 year old male and why nuke your DHT completely if you can explore a less harmful way that might suit him perfectly fine. And if it doesn’t bring him what he’s hoping for, he can always switch to duta.

HairForceOne

Established Member
Reaction score
It makes no sense to start with dutasteride right off the bat. I would definately go with finasteride first. Oh, I would also dump your derm to another one.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I been on dutasteride 0.5mg daily for 4 months and no sides. Im a similar age to you.

John98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, I am 20.
I was scared of Finasteride a bit.
But as I become more depressed I started with it. I gave it it 10 months with no results. My hairloss still progressed and I was so angry. Then I finally decided to jump on Avodart. I take it every day 0,5mg.
And it really decreased hair fall, finally.

Dont let people scare you. Looking back, I would have started with Avodart with 16. But all those idiots scared me.

I read so much about hairloss, so fcking much, I had so many tabs open, my browser crashed.

What I would recommend you is: Jump straight on Avodart 0,5 every day. Dont do this sh*t with once a week or EOD.

Start Avodart and dont read much on forums. Here are so many people, who tell you just that nothing has worked for them, or they tell you that Finasteride/Dutasteride destroyed their life blabla, or even crazy stuff like Dutasteride destroys your hairline. I even read about a guy here, cutting off his testicles.

—-> Jump straight on Avodart 0,5mg every day and hold tight. And dont read more posts. (PS: my only sideffect is less semen)
Try it withought Minoxidil first. If you see worsening, which is highly unlikey, then consider starting Minoxidil after 6 months+. But I wouldnt start it until necessary.
And stay positive my friend. Good Norwood 2 is considered a mature hairline, which most adults get. There is no Norwood 0 or Norwood 0,5. Norwood 1 is the the „normal“ hairline. Just telling you because I read people claming other stuff, which is just wrong.

John98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ashton Kutcher between also started Avodart with 25 (he said himself). And look at him!
Dont be depressed, just start it and dont think about hairloss anymore.