Dutasteride Dosage For Hairloss

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just focus on the successful ones. Some guy with exp just commented how thats impossible so just bite the bullet. Trust me that is so unlikely. They probs got fake stuff u never ever know

Thank you so much for your kind words you gave me hope
I hope your doing fine with your treatment and this f.. condition hair loss
If I were a billionare I would gather all scientist just to find a cure for this f.. disease condition what ever the f. We can call it

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just focus on the successful ones. Some guy with exp just commented how thats impossible so just bite the bullet. Trust me that is so unlikely. They probs got fake stuff u never ever know

Where you or are you on dutateride currently and what did it do to your hair loss generally and to your front specifically

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took finasteride for about a year before I switched to dutasteride. I've had no major side-effects, although I think my libido might be just a little bit lower than before I begun treatment. I've also noticed that my face is puffier, especially under my eyes, but that is probably the minoxidil rather than the dutasteride. I'm thinking about maybe taking a loop diuretic to reduce the facial puffiness.

I started Minoxidil a few weeks before starting a 5-ar inhibitor. I've used Minoxidil alongside dutasteride (and previously finasteride) continually the whole time. I've had significant thickening throughout my whole Norwood area, and additional new hair growth on my temples and hairline.
I see that you are not using any treatments yet. Are you considering dutasteride?
Hello I want to try dutasteride
What kind of results did you had on it
Did you experience initiall shedding like iv read about it on internet
And what did it do to your front and hairline
Please reply since youv tried it
May god help you in your treatments

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice and actually i took finasteride for about 6 months with no real effect so just made the switch to dutasteride a month ago. No topicals right now so im hoping dutasteride does the job
Yes lets hope dutasteride is able to work for you. Chances are in your favour that it will work for you, given the fact that its success rate is in the high 90s. A four-year study by GlaxoSmithKline on more than 700 men with male pattern baldness found that 99.4% of the men were above baseline after the four year period. That study really highlights just how effective dutasteride is as a hair loss treatment.

Hello I want to try dutasteride
What kind of results did you had on it
Did you experience initiall shedding like iv read about it on internet
And what did it do to your front and hairline
Please reply since youv tried it
May god help you in your treatments
Thank you :). I've had great results from dutasteride in the three years I've been using it. I don't recall having had initial shedding. The treatment has thickened up my hair really well throughout my whole Norwood area, and my hairline has moved forward from a Nw2.5 to a Nw1.5 on the right temple and a Nw2 on the left.
You seem to be quite worried that dutasteride could cause you to actually lose hair at the hairline. There's no need to worry about this, because it is not scientifically possible. Dutasteride inhibits the production of DHT, and can therefore only ever be good for your hair.
May I ask what Norwood level you are? If your hair loss is only mild then finasteride should be fine. Dutasteride is only necessary for more severe cases or for those who haven't responded to finasteride such as nhlpro11.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah dutasteride is fine so far. So right now im doing 1.5g per day. Do u reccomend more or less? What dosage is optimal
I'd suggest the recommended dose of 0.5mg a day.

1.5mg will inhibit hardly any more of the 5-ar type 2 enzyme, but will inhibit much more of the type 1 enzyme which happens to be present in the brain tissue. The type 2 enzyme is the one that is primarily implicated in hair loss.

Therefore, a 0.5mg dosing scheme is safer, and the difference in results will be negligible. Not to mention the fact that 1.5mg will be three times as expensive.

Last edited:

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
1-2mg or more will inhibit dht in the scalp a lot more than "just" 0.5mg.

If 0.5mg doesnt work, 1 or 2mg can be magical.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1-2mg or more will inhibit dht in the scalp a lot more than "just" 0.5mg.

If 0.5mg doesnt work, 1 or 2mg can be magical.
It is not the scalp DHT that is the problem though, but the DHT that is in the dermal papillae of the hair follicles. There is virtually no difference in effectiveness between 0.5mg of Dutasteride and 1 or 2 mg of Dutasteride, because all these dosages inhibit virtually the same amount of DHT production at the dermal papillae.

Yeah, im gonna stick with 1.5 mg for now and maybe up it to 2 mg. My brain has a lot of power anyways
I see no advantages to using a dose that high, but it is your decision.

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is not the scalp DHT that is the problem though, but the DHT that is in the dermal papillae of the hair follicles. There is virtually no difference in effectiveness between 0.5mg of Dutasteride and 1 or 2 mg of Dutasteride, because all these dosages inhibit virtually the same amount of DHT production at the dermal papillae.

I see no advantages to using a dose that high, but it is your decision.

You're totally wrong.

When I take 0.5mg I have itchy scalp and hair loss. At 2mg no itchy scalp at all and no hair loss (and no libido). If you want to believe 0.5mg = 2mg .... ok fine for me but you're still wrong.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're totally wrong.

When I take 0.5mg I have itchy scalp and hair loss. At 2mg no itchy scalp at all and no hair loss (and no libido). If you want to believe 0.5mg = 2mg .... ok fine for me but you're still wrong.
2mg is a tiny bit more effective than 0.5mg, but the difference is very small.
Maybe for a very small proportion of people of which you may be one, the difference between the two dosages would be significant, but for the vast majority of people, I think there would be hardly any difference. That's my opinion.

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
2mg is a tiny bit more effective than 0.5mg, but the difference is very small.
Maybe for a very small proportion of people of which you may be one, the difference between the two dosages would be significant, but for the vast majority of people, I think there would be hardly any difference. That's my opinion.

You can repeat it all the day it's still wrong. Check your facts. Google is your friend. Not for real, huh.
You're saying non-sense. It makes a huge difference, DHT in the scalp is almost nuked at 2-3mg.
I tried "only" 1mg, still not strong enough. I've been taking Dutasteride for almost 10 years now. And 2mg is something really strong and can do wonders for people with really agressive hair loss. But ... libido can be the price.
BUT if you still want to believe 0.5mg is almost the same as 2mg and vice versa ... Ok .. some guys believe in Santa Klaus or that Elvis is still alive ... Fine for me.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can repeat it all the day it's still wrong. Check your facts. Google is your friend. Not for real, huh.
You're saying non-sense. It makes a huge difference, DHT in the scalp is almost nuked at 2-3mg.
I tried "only" 1mg, still not strong enough. I've been taking Dutasteride for almost 10 years now. And 2mg is something really strong and can do wonders for people with really agressive hair loss. But ... libido can be the price.
BUT if you still want to believe 0.5mg is almost the same as 2mg and vice versa ... Ok .. some guys believe in Santa Klaus or that Elvis is still alive ... Fine for me.
I was just giving my evidence-based opinion. Lets just end this debate now and agree to disagree.

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're still saying non-sense ...

http://www.regrowshair.com/non-surgical-hair-loss-treatments/avodart-dutasteride-dosing-charts/

I dont take 2mg dutasteride because it's fun ... BUT BECAUSE IT WORKS !

0.5mg is enough for you (but ... maybe not in 10 years ;) ...) and for some guys a stronger inhibition of dht in the scalp is needed.

It's not a debate. Santa Klauss doesnt exist, Elvis is dead, and Dutasteride 2mg is stronger than 0.5mg.
Well I wouldn't be able to afford 2mg of Dutasteride anyway as it would be four times the cost and outside my budget lol.

Final hair counts were slightly greater with 2.5mg of dutasteride than 0.5mg in the 6 month study, but that was likely only because the 2.5mg dose would have built up to a steady state in the body much more quickly considering that Dutasteride has a half-life of five weeks, and this would have made a big difference to the final results of such a short study. Therefore, it was not a fair comparison.

Even if 2mg or 2.5mg is more effective than 0.5mg, I still wouldn't be happy inhibiting such a large amount of the 5ar type 1 enzyme which plays little to no role in hair loss and which happens to be present in the brain tissue in measurable amounts. 0.5mg of Dutasteride taken daily inhibits around 50% of 5ar 1, whereas 2.5mg taken daily inhibits around 85% of this enzyme. I'd guess that 2mg would probably inhibit around 75-80%. There is no biological model for 5ar 1 deficiency because no known cases occur in nature, so we are left very much in the dark about the long-term implications of inhibiting this enzyme which is present in the brain tissue in measurable amounts. The fact that no known cases of congenital 5ar 1 deficiency occur in nature is worrisome in itself because it implies that this deficiency must be lethal to a developing embryo or fetus.

Inhibiting 50% of this enzyme is risky enough. That's a risk I'm willing to take, but I wouldn't personally be happy inhibiting any more than that. So in other words, I wouldn't be happy taking a daily dose of Dutasteride that is greater than 0.5mg.

On a positive note though, Dutasteride has been shown in mouse studies to have neuroprotective properties in Parkinson's disease:

"The 5α-reductase inhibitor Dutasteride but not Finasteride protects dopamine neurons in the MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease": http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390815001963

"Effect of the 5α-reductase enzyme inhibitor dutasteride in the brain of intact and parkinsonian mice": http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076017302698

Last edited:

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes lets hope dutasteride is able to work for you. Chances are in your favour that it will work for you, given the fact that its success rate is in the high 90s. A four-year study by GlaxoSmithKline on more than 700 men with male pattern baldness found that 99.4% of the men were above baseline after the four year period. That study really highlights just how effective dutasteride is as a hair loss treatment.

Thank you :). I've had great results from dutasteride in the three years I've been using it. I don't recall having had initial shedding. The treatment has thickened up my hair really well throughout my whole Norwood area, and my hairline has moved forward from a Nw2.5 to a Nw1.5 on the right temple and a Nw2 on the left.
You seem to be quite worried that dutasteride could cause you to actually lose hair at the hairline. There's no need to worry about this, because it is not scientifically possible. Dutasteride inhibits the production of DHT, and can therefore only ever be good for your hair.
May I ask what Norwood level you are? If your hair loss is only mild then finasteride should be fine. Dutasteride is only necessary for more severe cases or for those who haven't responded to finasteride such as nhlpro11.
Id say im 2.5 but im from a country I can get only dutasteride we dont have here finasteride nor minoxidil
Just dutasteride from glaxosmith
Im worried because iv read many horror stories and theories why dutasteride can cause frontal thininng and loss because it lowers dht but increases testosterone so maybe that much testosterone is causing the thininng and loss

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, they appear to be nuts (or at least, very misinformed). Dutasteride at a tiny dose of 0.1mg inhibits approximately the same amount of DHT as 5mg of Finasteride does. Dutasteride is a much more potent DHT inhibitor than Finasteride.

Almost all 5ar genotypes respond better to dutasteride than finasteride. Take a look at this study: http://jme.endocrinology-journals.org/content/34/3/617.full

This paragraph was interesting:

"Comparison of the apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] values for each inhibitor suggests that dutasteride was the steroid 5α-reductase inhibitor that exhibited the lowest apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] for most steroid 5α-reductase variants, including the wild-type, in both the 10-min and the 30-min reactions (Tables 1 and 2). The only exceptions to this observation were the F194 L variant (independently of reaction time) and the P48R variant (but only in the 10-min reaction). The disease-relevant A49T variant is of particular interest, since it is inhibited much more efficiently by dutasteride than finasteride, irrespective of the reaction time (Tables 1 and 2). Overall, the dual 5α-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, has higher affinity for steroid 5α-reductase type II than finasteride, irrespective of genotype. Dutasteride is also expected to result in lower pharmacogenetic variation than finasteride in vivo, since it displays significantly lower pharmacogenetic variation of the apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] than finasteride in the 30-min assays (see below; Tables 1 and 2). Thus, this compound may also be a better choice in vivo."

Interestingly, the F194L variant was found to be inhibited more potently by Finasteride than Dutasteride in both the 10-min and the 30-min reactions. A person with this genotype, therefore, would presumably get better results from using finasteride rather than dutasteride to treat their hair loss.

I do have some knowledge of genetics, and I know that we each have two copies of each of our genes. Therefore, we have two copies of the 5-ar type 2 gene. I think it is most likely the case that both these copies would need to be the F194L allele in order for finasteride to work better for you than dutasteride, rather than just one of the two copies being the F194L variant. I'm guessing that the likelihood of this variant occurring in the homozygous (two copies) state is very uncommon.

I doubt that the two drugs operate in the way you have described. Adding 0.5mg of dutasteride a week to a finasteride regimen might bring down your DHT slightly more than if you were just using the finasteride, but it wouldn't make a big difference.

If you're using finasteride and dutasteride together, whichever one is weaker (depending on the dosage and your genotype) will be overpowered by the stronger one, and you will get no more DHT inhibition than if you were just using the stronger inhibitor alone.
The F194L allele has a frequency per chromosome of 1/960 according to this study:
Biochemical and pharmacogenetic dissection of human steroid 5a-reductase type II:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._II_comparison_of_finasteride_and_dutasteride
The chance of a person being homozygous for F194L would be less than 1 in 900,000. The chance of being heterozygous for F194L would be about 1 in 480.
The P48R allele has a frequency of 2/428. The chance of being homozygous for P48R would be less than 1 in 45,000, and the chance of being heterozygous is about 1 in 100.
As you quoted, F194L and P48R are the only variants of SRD5A2 that finasteride inhibited more strongly than dutasteride, and the latter only in the 10-minute reaction and not the 30-minute one. As these variants occur at such low frequencies in the human population, especially in the homozygous state, it can be assumed that only a very tiny proportion of hair loss sufferers will be better responders to finasteride than to dutasteride.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Id say im 2.5 but im from a country I can get only dutasteride we dont have here finasteride nor minoxidil
Just dutasteride from glaxosmith
Im worried because iv read many horror stories and theories why dutasteride can cause frontal thininng and loss because it lowers dht but increases testosterone so maybe that much testosterone is causing the thininng and loss
I believe the dutasteride hairline destroyer stories because it happened to me on finasteride :( im almost a year on the stuff and waayyy below baseline at the front. minoxidil is slowly bringing those hairs back thankfully. If finasteride ate my hairline up as bad as it has then i dont want to find out just how much worse dutasteride could do it! I will give fina a few more months just incase things turn around but i highly doubt it, then i will drop it for good.