Dutasteride Dosage For Hairloss

kir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Today I came across a post by two doctors, both saying "Dutasteride at high doses in some trials appears better than finasteride. But that's not the doses we presribe!" This means .5mg dutasteride a day is less effective that 1mg finasteride?

Now I've seen guys claiming to have better results with dutasteride than finasteride. Also there's the gsk study; making this more confusing?

Can someone clear this up?

Link - http://www.realself.com/question/georgetown-effective-hairloss-finasteride-dutasteride-day

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0.5mg of Dutasteride is more effective than any dose of Finasteride.

0.5mg of Dutasteride taken daily removes 98-99% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 2, and 50% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 1.
5mg of Finasteride taken daily removes 85-90% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 2, and less than 1% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 1.

0.5mg of Dutasteride, therefore, is superior to 5mg of Finasteride as a treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia, because it removes significantly more DHT.

Even 0.25mg of Dutasteride is superior to 5mg of Finasteride. 0.25mg of Dutasteride taken daily removes about 95% of DHT from 5-ar type 2, and about 19% of DHT from 5-ar type 1.

Finasteride's effectiveness is about equal to that of a 0.1mg daily dose of Dutasteride.

kir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for replying :) and YES! this is my concern. If that is true, why did the doctors say "Dutasteride at high doses in some trials appears better than finasteride. But that's not the doses we presribe!" Are they nuts?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

0.5mg of Dutasteride taken daily removes 98-99% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 2, and 50% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 1.
5mg of Finasteride taken daily removes 85-90% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 2, and less than 1% of DHT produced by 5-ar type 1.

0.5mg of Dutasteride, therefore, is superior to 5mg of Finasteride as a treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia, because it removes significantly more DHT.

Even 0.25mg of Dutasteride is superior to 5mg of Finasteride. 0.25mg of Dutasteride taken daily removes about 95% of DHT from 5-ar type 2, and about 19% of DHT from 5-ar type 1.

Finasteride's effectiveness is about equal to that of a 0.1mg daily dose of Dutasteride.

Good accurate stuff. But in the medical literature there was one patient who was on 1 mg finasteride per day for 4 years, first his crown improved a bit, but 2 years later the effects wore off and he was almost back to baseline. He simply added just ONE 0.5 mg dutasteride pill per week with the daily finasteride and in 3 months it did more than finasteride ever did.

Maybe it's not just about DHT, maybe some genotypes will respond better to dutasteride/finasteride.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Good accurate stuff. But in the medical literature there was one patient who was on 1 mg finasteride per day for 4 years, first his crown improved a bit, but 2 years later the effects wore off and he was almost back to baseline. He simply added just ONE 0.5 mg dutasteride pill per week with the daily finasteride and in 3 months it did more than finasteride ever did.

Maybe it's not just about DHT, maybe some genotypes will respond better to dutasteride/finasteride.
I think it's more because the two drugs have different mechanisms and can work in synergy. The guy was taking finasteride, which lowered his DHT by 70%, and the simple addition of 0.5mg of dutasteride a week took care of the remaining 30%.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's more because the two drugs have different mechanisms and can work in synergy. The guy was taking finasteride, which lowered his DHT by 70%, and the simple addition of 0.5mg of dutasteride a week took care of the remaining 30%.

Would one pill a week of dutasteride lower it by a further 30%? I guess taking finasteride daily, this may be possible. Or maybe dutasteride targets different forms of the type 2 enzyme that finasteride can't and vice versa.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for replying :) and YES! this is my concern. If that is true, why did the doctors say "Dutasteride at high doses in some trials appears better than finasteride. But that's not the doses we presribe!" Are they nuts?
Yes, they appear to be nuts (or at least, very misinformed). Dutasteride at a tiny dose of 0.1mg inhibits approximately the same amount of DHT as 5mg of Finasteride does. Dutasteride is a much more potent DHT inhibitor than Finasteride.

Almost all 5ar genotypes respond better to dutasteride than finasteride. Take a look at this study: http://jme.endocrinology-journals.org/content/34/3/617.full

This paragraph was interesting:

"Comparison of the apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] values for each inhibitor suggests that dutasteride was the steroid 5α-reductase inhibitor that exhibited the lowest apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] for most steroid 5α-reductase variants, including the wild-type, in both the 10-min and the 30-min reactions (Tables 1 and 2). The only exceptions to this observation were the F194 L variant (independently of reaction time) and the P48R variant (but only in the 10-min reaction). The disease-relevant A49T variant is of particular interest, since it is inhibited much more efficiently by dutasteride than finasteride, irrespective of the reaction time (Tables 1 and 2). Overall, the dual 5α-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, has higher affinity for steroid 5α-reductase type II than finasteride, irrespective of genotype. Dutasteride is also expected to result in lower pharmacogenetic variation than finasteride in vivo, since it displays significantly lower pharmacogenetic variation of the apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] than finasteride in the 30-min assays (see below; Tables 1 and 2). Thus, this compound may also be a better choice in vivo."

Interestingly, the F194L variant was found to be inhibited more potently by Finasteride than Dutasteride in both the 10-min and the 30-min reactions. A person with this genotype, therefore, would presumably get better results from using finasteride rather than dutasteride to treat their hair loss.

I do have some knowledge of genetics, and I know that we each have two copies of each of our genes. Therefore, we have two copies of the 5-ar type 2 gene. I think it is most likely the case that both these copies would need to be the F194L allele in order for finasteride to work better for you than dutasteride, rather than just one of the two copies being the F194L variant. I'm guessing that the likelihood of this variant occurring in the homozygous (two copies) state is very uncommon.

I doubt that the two drugs operate in the way you have described. Adding 0.5mg of dutasteride a week to a finasteride regimen might bring down your DHT slightly more than if you were just using the finasteride, but it wouldn't make a big difference.

If you're using finasteride and dutasteride together, whichever one is weaker (depending on the dosage and your genotype) will be overpowered by the stronger one, and you will get no more DHT inhibition than if you were just using the stronger inhibitor alone.

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

One question: if dutasteride is superior to finasteride at inhibiting DHT (in theory) then why is finasteride recommended more? Is it to "test the waters"?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, they appear to be nuts (or at least, very misinformed). Dutasteride at a tiny dose of 0.1mg inhibits approximately the same amount of DHT as 5mg of Finasteride does. Dutasteride is a much more potent DHT inhibitor than Finasteride.

Almost all 5ar genotypes respond better to dutasteride than finasteride. Take a look at this study: http://jme.endocrinology-journals.org/content/34/3/617.full

This paragraph was interesting:

"Comparison of the apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] values for each inhibitor suggests that dutasteride was the steroid 5α-reductase inhibitor that exhibited the lowest apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] for most steroid 5α-reductase variants, including the wild-type, in both the 10-min and the 30-min reactions (Tables 1 and 2). The only exceptions to this observation were the F194 L variant (independently of reaction time) and the P48R variant (but only in the 10-min reaction). The disease-relevant A49T variant is of particular interest, since it is inhibited much more efficiently by dutasteride than finasteride, irrespective of the reaction time (Tables 1 and 2). Overall, the dual 5α-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, has higher affinity for steroid 5α-reductase type II than finasteride, irrespective of genotype. Dutasteride is also expected to result in lower pharmacogenetic variation than finasteride in vivo, since it displays significantly lower pharmacogenetic variation of the apparent K[SUB]i[/SUB] than finasteride in the 30-min assays (see below; Tables 1 and 2). Thus, this compound may also be a better choice in vivo."

I really hated genetics with a passion back in the day and still do! Yes I have seen that journal, very interesting. We would indeed have two copies of the SRD5A2 gene (type 2 alpha reductase), in fact two defunct copies is what results in the pseudohermaphrodite disorder. Not sure how the genotypes are found in the general population, can only speculate.

Clearly dutasteride has a much higher affinity for this type 2 enzyme. I am contemplating trialing dutasteride with finasteride at some point. Cost effective too and could give me the push I need.

but What about Today

Established Member
Reaction score
I been on dutasteride for prolly 3 months, started dosing 2.5 for first 10 days and now .5 a day. Your best bet is to go straight with dutasteride becuase even mixing isnt gonna block as much dht as dutasteride

xp15

Reaction score

I thought that the DHT produced by 5-ar type 1 is not actually what's responsible for any hairloss though (only 5-ar type 2)?

but What about Today

Established Member
Reaction score
Type 1 is at the epidermis...its not as important though as type 2 though...but some think blocking type 1 may show results on hairline etc

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought that the DHT produced by 5-ar type 1 is not actually what's responsible for any hairloss though (only 5-ar type 2)?

That's correct, only type 2 is associated with hair loss. He is just stating what dutasteride actually does as it inhibits both forms. I think where dutasteride is better than finasteride is halting powers. If finasteride is stopping your hair loss, there probably is no need to try dutasteride for extra regrowth despite the temptation.

kir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride has a long half life so when you take the finasteride in addition to it, the dutasteride will still be attached to the enzymes, therefore, you waste the finasteride. but that's just what I think.

- - - Updated - - -

"There is a possibility that type I also plays a role in hair loss, but as yet this link has not been proven." This could be one reason why dutasteride works better.

Link - http://www.beIgraviacentre.com/blog/the-different-forms-of-dht-and-what-they-mean-for-hair-loss/

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It has been proven that the DHT produced by 5-ar type 2 is the primary culprit responsible for triggering Androgenetic Alopecia, and that it is MUCH more important than the DHT produced by 5-ar type 1 or any other factor. If you remove all the DHT produced by 5-ar type 2, it is almost impossible for you to lose any more hair. What has not been proven yet, as the above poster pointed out, is the question of whether 5-ar type 1 plays some kind of a minor role, or whether it plays no role at all in Androgenetic Alopecia.

Last edited:

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a study done by Merck before finasteride was released. A drug was trialled which only inhibited type 1 DHT. It had no effect on hair loss or acne despite being found in sebaceous glands. It was promptly scrapped and never released. All about type 2 for hair loss. I think inhibiting 90% of it with finasteride is enough for the majority, some need that push/regrowth. dutasteride's superior as inhibits more type 2 than finasteride and a longer half life so it's constantly taking on that enzyme.

I wish there was an inhibitor that only took out type 2 and 100% of it lol with a really long half life.

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anybody had good results with dutasteride in temples an hair line
Basically in the front
Because iw read dutasteride is a front hair destroyer
Please anybody with dutasteride experience bad or good reply

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anybody had good results with dutasteride in temples an hair line
Basically in the front
Because iw read dutasteride is a front hair destroyer
Please anybody with dutasteride experience bad or good reply
It doesn't make sense scientifically for dutasteride to "destroy" your frontal hair. Inhibiting DHT production can only ever be good for your hair.

I've been using Dutasteride for over three years at 0.5mg each day, and I've had very good results. My hair has thickened up significantly in all areas it was thinning, and my hairline has moved forward noticeably. I'm now about a Norwood 1.5 on my right temple and a Norwood 2 on my left one, whereas before treatment I was about a Norwood 2.5 on both temples.

I should mention that I am using Minoxidil just on my temple area, so it is possible the results on my temple area could also be from the Minoxidil and not just the Dutasteride.

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense scientifically for dutasteride to "destroy" your frontal hair. Inhibiting DHT production can only ever be good for your hair.

I've been using Dutasteride for over three years at 0.5mg each day, and I've had very good results. My hair has thickened up significantly in all areas it was thinning, and my hairline has moved forward noticeably. I'm now about a Norwood 1.5 on my right temple and a Norwood 2 on my left one, whereas before treatment I was about a Norwood 2.5 on both temples.

I should mention that I am using Minoxidil just on my temple area, so it is possible the results on my temple area could also be from the Minoxidil and not just the Dutasteride.
Did u start with finasteride? Any sides?

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did u start with finasteride? Any sides?
I took finasteride for about a year before I switched to dutasteride. I've had no major side-effects, although I think my libido might be just a little bit lower than before I begun treatment. I've also noticed that my face is puffier, especially under my eyes, but that is probably the minoxidil rather than the dutasteride. I'm thinking about maybe taking a loop diuretic to reduce the facial puffiness.

Good to hear. Have u been taking minoxidil the whole time uve been on dutasteride? Did u take minoxidil before dutasteride? And by thickened do u mean new hair growth or just better existing hair?
I started Minoxidil a few weeks before starting a 5-ar inhibitor. I've used Minoxidil alongside dutasteride (and previously finasteride) continually the whole time. I've had significant thickening throughout my whole Norwood area, and additional new hair growth on my temples and hairline.
I see that you are not using any treatments yet. Are you considering dutasteride?

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score

Good to hear that you having great results I hope for you it continues and only gets better and better
I know thay scientifically I doesnt make sense
But iw read that dutasteride lowers dht but increases testosterone in scalp it could be that that tst is having an impact on hairline
Anywys I just read horrible stories and im afraid to get on it I dont want my 2.5 n hairline destroyed more than it already is
And by the way can you show me some before and after pics just so that youll make my hopes up

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have read this success stories on dutasteride but I have also seen some terrible stories expecially how dutasteride stoped their hair loss but recedet their hairlines further inside anyone with experience want to comment