Drowning The Sorrow With Material Things! Plus Seven Words

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interest rates woes will certainly create a damper, but a crash is unlikely. Change likely to be steady incremental movements over a decade back to historical norm levels.
Interest rates will likely create more than a damper. Property has become ''to good an investment'',
so people buy to invest rather than live in their apartments. When you've got a situation where a high
proportion of people cannot afford a flat, and also many people buying *a second* or *third*
apartment for rent, then you got yourself a very unhealthy situation. When interest rates
make renting less affordable investment, many people who don't need apartment will sell,
and we'll be witness to that the prices were not driven by (real)demand, but a sick distribution
of capital. The (real underlying)offer was always enough.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since you've lived there already:

Could you name the three best things about Australia? And three things that could be better...

If you are willing ofc.
No. I live in a country with many parallels though. :)

Maybe I'll move there sometime. The climate is preferable!

I grew up in Canada which is very similar to Australia.

Three good things about Australia:

1) Breakfast cafés are popular, also the higher median quality of coffee and in fact most Italian food relative to North America.

2) Arguably somewhat more reasonable on the left-right spectrum. It has sanity in requiring universal health insurance and pension plans; but there's not as much of an anti-business cult as can sometimes be found on the US left, perhaps because the right is less insane.

3) A huge amount of beautiful geography. I love Queensland. I'd probably consider a position at the obscure James Cook University just because it's so beautiful there.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interest rates will likely create more than a damper. Property has become ''to good an investment'',
so people buy to invest rather than live in their apartments. When you've got a situation where a high
proportion of people cannot afford a flat, and also many people buying *a second* or *third*
apartment for rent, then you got yourself a very unhealthy situation. When interest rates
make renting less affordable investment, many people who don't need apartment will sell,
and we'll be witness to that the prices were not driven be demand, but a sick distribution
of capital.

All worthwhile considerations and the sentiment is academically accurate, however unrealistic considering the likely snails pace of rate hikes. In five to ten years we will see, however how many are accurately predicting economic trends, interest rates and housing prices for a decade down the line?

blackg

Reaction score
Since you've lived there already:

Could you name the three best things about Australia? And three things that could be better...

If you are willing ofc.
Things that are good: beer, the women and the friendly Australian nature.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All worthwhile considerations and the sentiment is academically accurate, however unrealistic considering the likely snails pace of rate hikes. In five to ten years we will see, however how many are accurately predicting economic trends, interest rates and housing prices for a decade down the line?
Thank you.

Well, what history tells us is market's not of a forgiving nature. It's always right. And if it finds out things
are disproportionate, it will punish ''the bullish''.

I very much like how you advocate a holding strategy. The thing is: if you buy to hold, then you're likely
asking ''What's the price?'' Too many people today have stopped asking that question.

What amazes me is people focusing on prices of everyday needs, but throw away money like
there's no tomorrow when buying a car/house.

You've mentioned already in this thread the silly fiat predictions. Predictions are as usuful
as how many really beleive in them.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I grew up in Canada which is very similar to Australia.

Three good things about Australia:

1) Breakfast cafés are popular, also the higher median quality of coffee and in fact most Italian food relative to North America.

2) Arguably somewhat more reasonable on the left-right spectrum. It has sanity in requiring universal health insurance and pension plans; but there's not as much of an anti-business cult as can sometimes be found on the US left, perhaps because the right is less insane.

3) A huge amount of beautiful geography. I love Queensland. I'd probably consider a position at the obscure James Cook University just because it's so beautiful there.
Appreciate it!

If the democratic atmosphere was different, I wouldn't even consider it. :)

Oh man, I love coffee. And Italian food. I could prolly eat spaghetti bolognese every single day.

Who cares about obscure? You know about Einstein's recently auctioned quote on happines...?

Very simple and crisp explanation. I always beleived that.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about wine? I prefer wine.

What would you say is the best thing about Aus?

I agree to a degree with Afro when he says our politics are more reasonable than the vast majority of other nations globally and we have a very comfortable social safety-net + single payer health care system + a fair debt system for university. Provides very strong opportunity and living standards to almost everyone without government that works to deliberately cripple business. It's a very comfortable place to live in that regard. We don't have the same level of racial or political tension as the US here for example either which is genuinely scary looking at it from across the pond.

Personally though I think we should take it drastically further to the (alt) right on immigration, foreign aid, corporate taxes and climate change action as this in particular has severely crippled the business action in my state. More than doubling of energy prices over the past decade in my state and no certainty on a reliable baseload power plan for the future as renewables and batteries currently can't provide it despite their best efforts to prove it. At the same time they refuse to build a sizeable fossil fuels plant here for the future. I live 15 minutes from the CBD in my state and last summer we experienced a 5 day black out. Five days without power in a major Australian city. The emphasis on climate action in politics here is easily the worst aspect of this country. Despite the damage it has done the general public want more renewables and less fossil fuels while simultaneously wanting cheaper and more reliable energy, too stupid to realise that this is an oxymoron of results.

Also especially in melb, sydney good local bands, great food and the atmosphere is beautiful.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree to a degree with Afro when he says our politics are more reasonable than the vast majority of other nations globally and we have a very comfortable social safety-net + single payer health care system + a fair debt system for university. Provides very strong opportunity and living standards to almost everyone without government that works to deliberately cripple business. It's a very comfortable place to live in that regard. We don't have the same level of racial or political tension as the US here for example either which is genuinely scary looking at it from across the pond.

Personally though I think we should take it drastically further to the (alt) right on immigration, foreign aid, corporate taxes and climate change action as this in particular has severely crippled the business action in my state. More than doubling of energy prices over the past decade in my state and no certainty on a reliable baseload power plan for the future as renewables and batteries currently can't provide it despite their best efforts to prove it. At the same time they refuse to build a sizeable fossil fuels plant here for the future. I live 15 minutes from the CBD in my state and last summer we experienced a 5 day black out. Five days without power in a major Australian city. The emphasis on climate action in politics here is easily the worst aspect of this country. Despite the damage it has done the general public want more renewables and less fossil fuels while simultaneously wanting cheaper and more reliable energy, too stupid to realise that this is an oxymoron of results.

Also especially in melb, sydney good local bands, great food and the atmosphere is beautiful.

Thanks for your input.

I don't thinks the ''climate taxes'' would affect me much as I prefer a motorcycle
in such climate anyway. :)

I can't understand why solar energy hasn't boomed in Aus already. I suspect it's the
never ending await of further advancement in tech (efficacy), but we'll have to lock
down the current level of tech sometime.

From a financial perspective it's already able to make money in Britain. Britain!

I get your frustration. Five days in some fields is practically life/death.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

I don't thinks the ''climate taxes'' would affect me much as I prefer a motorcycle

I can't understand why solar energy hasn't boomed in Aus already. I suspect it's the
never ending await of further advancement in tech (efficacy), but we'll have to lock

From a financial perspective it's already able to make money in Britain. Britain!

It's not so much taxes, but a premeditated and idiotic move to wind farms in particular in my state without any planning for future baseload generation that works 24/7 like coal or gas, and most of our fossil fuel plants are coming to the end of their lives. They have crippled coal with regulations that result in a brand new coal plant producing energy at a higher cost to a plant from 20 years ago due to mandatory carbon reduction methods. Of course that means no one will invest in one, so we're stuck in this limbo of failing renewables but zero investment in sustainable baseload energy due to self-imposed C02 targets and thoughtless regulation. Unfortunately the tech (particularly with solar and batteries) isn't there yet to run a state on with reliability or low cost and yet politicians have used us as an experimentation ground for their virtue signalling regardless.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
This bitcoin pump is simultaneously scaring the sh*t out of me and giving me a huge boner.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

From what I recall, solar panels were very popular in Australia.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

Just FYI,

People in the rest of the world might not know that CBD stands for central business district which means "downtown",

Also,

peppers is American for capsicums,
likewise cornstarch for cornflour, butternut squash for butternut pumpkin, etc.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just FYI,

People in the rest of the world might not know that CBD stands for central business district which means "downtown",

Also,

peppers is American for capsicums,
likewise cornstarch for cornflour, butternut squash for butternut pumpkin, etc.

Even non spicy capsicums?