Dr Zarev Vacuum Assisted Tecnique For Graft Extraction

the smoking baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah according to him, I have ~10.5k grafts available, which will be about enough to cover me if I were to hit a NW6. One new thing I learned about his method was that the donor punches made respond/heal in a contractive way and don’t take excess tissue. It’s kind of hard to explain but when a punch is made, instead of that hole staying the same size and filling with scar tissue, the hole contracts and the surrounding skin is pulled in. Multiple benefits to this, including nearly undetectable scarring because the “hole” is so small as opposed to being a plain white dot the size of the punch. It also results in increased density of the donor area because this done thousands of times makes the the total area of the donor region is a slightly smaller so the remaining hairs are closer together than they would have been with a traditional punch. It’s also why his patients don’t have to wear a bandage as there is very little bleeding with this technique. I probably completely butchered all of that and I won’t pretend like I completely understand the science behind it but it was pretty interesting and helps explain why the donor area looks so incredible after such large sessions.
This suggests that his punch size is even smaller than the standard 0.8mm. I would be interested in knowing the smallest punch size he has successfully used.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still am not able to get a response from him. I sent him some photos, and then he replied and said that he needed better pictures. After that I have heard nothing. Sent him like 3-4 emails over a 4 month period of time.
I initially didn’t get an answer from him. You could try messaging him on Instagram because he’s good at responding to comments on his posts. He did mention in our consultation that he keeps getting hundreds and hundreds of emails and it’s just impossible for him to respond to them all.

Do you think Dr. Zarev is really reliable?
Yes.

This suggests that his punch size is even smaller than the standard 0.8mm. I would be interested in knowing the smallest punch size he has successfully used.
From his website:
The AVA FUE technique is an automatic vacuum-assisted extraction of follicular units from areas unaffected by the balding process and their transplantation into problem areas. The size of the zambi used (0.5 - 0.8 mm) allows the taking of "clean" follicular units without excess tissue. Their implantation is done by special implantation devices with a diameter corresponding to the diameter of the follicular units. The small size of the grafts, devoid of excess tissue, makes it possible to achieve maximum natural density , and in our practice we have transplanted more than 70 nests per square centimeter , when necessary.The vacuum-assisted extraction guarantees the quality of the micro- grafts , as it minimizes the risk of their mechanical damage in the process of entering the trap into the scalp and the subsequent separation of the grafts from it.

In standard FUE techniques ( manual and semi-automatic ), after inserting the zamba into the scalp, the grafts remain firmly attached to it. Tweezers are used for their extraction (separation from the scalp) , which is a critical moment for the vitality of the follicles . The lack of mechanical trauma on the grafts in the AVA FUE technique , as well as the high speed and precision of the process, significantly increase the percentage of surviving micrografts , as our results are in the range of 95% - 98% .

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible that other doctors could quickly pick up this sort of vacuum-assisted technique of FUE? I am about to contact a doctor in the U.S. who seems to be very open to learning new techniques quickly to see what he thinks about Zarev.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Omega2327 Respectfully, after seeing your photos, I have to ask why you are having a surgery done with Zarev. You're like a Norwood 2 at most. Is it really necessary to have a transplant done by a doctor who is really specializing in operating on the highest Norwood cases to restore them to a decent look of head hair?

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Omega2327 Respectfully, after seeing your photos, I have to ask why you are having a surgery done with Zarev. You're like a Norwood 2 at most. Is it really necessary to have a transplant done by a doctor who is really specializing in operating on the highest Norwood cases to restore them to a decent look of head hair?
Preserve graphs is my guess. Can’t knock someone for wanting to go to the most skilled surgeon.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Preserve graphs is my guess. Can’t knock someone for wanting to go to the most skilled surgeon.
I absolutely respect that now that I think about it. I just can’t believe there are leading hair transplant surgeons in the US calling Zarev a literal scam. Perhaps they should keep their mouths shut about things they are totally ignorant about.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't every good doctor have a survival rate over 95% now

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't every good doctor have a survival rate over 95% now
Not sure but I personally think even more than the survival rate of grafts, the minimal scarring is of huge value. Especially for guys like me who will need to move a high % of grafts from the back and sides. I am fine with my donor area being depleted because I could wear the back and sides super short/shaved as long as there isn’t bad visual scarring.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure but I personally think even more than the survival rate of grafts, the minimal scarring is of huge value. Especially for guys like me who will need to move a high % of grafts from the back and sides. I am fine with my donor area being depleted because I could wear the back and sides super short/shaved as long as there isn’t bad visual scarring.
"The average scalp follicle is 0.42 mm wide from the dermal sheath to the dermal sheath. A two hair follicular unit averages 0.82 mm wide. This means you can use a 0.5 mm punch all you want, but the two hair follicular unit will not fit into it."

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well how does that line up with what Zarev is doing then?
It means he's mostly using .8mm punches, which is the same as everyone else now. .5 is only for single follicular units.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It means he's mostly using .8mm punches, which is the same as everyone else now. .5 is only for single follicular units.
I see. So then what I don’t see is how he is able to produce such incredible results if the main difference with his practice is the use of this vacuum assisted thing. Why can’t any surgeon use that. Would seem these types of results on high Norwoods would be much more widespread across many doctors and clinics.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. So then what I don’t see is how he is able to produce such incredible results if the main difference with his practice is the use of this vacuum assisted thing. Why can’t any surgeon use that. Would seem these types of results on high Norwoods would be much more widespread across many doctors and clinics.
The main difference is that he goes outside the safe zone, and that his patients are mostly Bulgarian with dark thick and dense hair in their donor. You're blonde, right? You're not getting those kind of results from Zarev or anyone else

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The main difference is that he goes outside the safe zone, and that his patients are mostly Bulgarian with dark thick and dense hair in their donor. You're blonde, right? You're not getting those kind of results from Zarev or anyone else
Ugh. Well this kind of thing dampens the excitement and interest. I will still seek a consultation with him though.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually though, the lesser the contrast between skin and hair color, the fewer the grafts needed for a satisfactory look and the more visually acceptable the appearance. Even if you have light hair, if you have light skin you’re at an advantage. Dark skin and dark hair work well. Light skin and dark hair is the worst contrast and will have a hard time getting a satisfactory result at a high Norwood.

I have very light skin but somewhat light brown hair as well that looks blond in the sun. One time I dyed my hair blond and the visual appearance of the ring of hair around the back and sides decreased. So that’s one advantage for people who have less skin to hair contrast.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually though, the lesser the contrast between skin and hair color, the fewer the grafts needed for a satisfactory look and the more visually acceptable the appearance. Even if you have light hair, if you have light skin you’re at an advantage. Dark skin and dark hair work well. Light skin and dark hair is the worst contrast and will have a hard time getting a satisfactory result at a high Norwood.

I have very light skin but somewhat light brown hair as well that looks blond in the sun. One time I dyed my hair blond and the visual appearance of the ring of hair around the back and sides decreased. So that’s one advantage for people who have less skin to hair contrast.
This is not how it works. Transplant docs prefer light skin and dark hair. Light skin minimizes appearance of scars while dark hair has thicker hair shafts and provides better coverage. Blondes have 50% more hair shafts than brunettes because it takes that much more to get good coverage with blonde hair

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is not how it works. Transplant docs prefer light skin and dark hair. Light skin minimizes appearance of scars while dark hair has thicker hair shafts and provides better coverage. Blondes have 50% more hair shafts than brunettes because it takes that much more to get good coverage with blonde hair
If you have light skin and very dark hair your going to have high contrast which will show the diffrnece between tha hair transplant area and the native hairs .
I heard that in order to get good result you need to have low contrast between the skin and the hair. Thats why there alot of ppl that try to hide the thining by dye the hair blonde