Dr Zarev Vacuum Assisted Tecnique For Graft Extraction

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will it really be worth it though? Do you have any examples?
I don't know what your hair looks like or what you're trying to achieve. The better hair transplants have less hair/scalp contrast. If you have high contrast (ie you're white with black hair) and want to have a bit more illusion of density then you might benefit from taking the black hair to a slightly lighter brown.

If it doesn't work or isn't worth it, it's temporary.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what your hair looks like or what you're trying to achieve. The better hair transplants have less hair/scalp contrast. If you have high contrast (ie you're white with black hair) and want to have a bit more illusion of density then you might benefit from taking the black hair to a slightly lighter brown.

If it doesn't work or isn't worth it, it's temporary.
I have medium brown hair and very fair skin

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have medium brown hair and very fair skin
I’ve got blonde hair and had a fut about 10 years ago and its taken that long for my crown to catch up.

I honestly think it comes down to what you can live with as an individual. I’m probably going to get another transplant but fill around the crown, to the average Joe blogs I’ll just look like somebody with a thinning crown - I’m married and 42 so don’t care as much anymore.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve got blonde hair and had a fut about 10 years ago and its taken that long for my crown to catch up.

I honestly think it comes down to what you can live with as an individual. I’m probably going to get another transplant but fill around the crown, to the average Joe blogs I’ll just look like somebody with a thinning crown - I’m married and 42 so don’t care as much anymore.

Like Quote Reply

The "thinning crown" look is the most practical way to handle the back for high Norwoods. The crucial thing for pulling it off is to shrink the size of the bald spot rather than trying to put even coverage on a huge loss area.

A natural transplant (that isn't full coverage) has to recreate a real stage of the balding process. Nature starts the thinning in the center of the crown and works outwards. There is no point where your whole final pattern is visible but the whole losing area is covered with half-density hair.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The "thinning crown" look is the most practical way to handle the back for high Norwoods. The crucial thing for pulling it off is to shrink the size of the bald spot rather than trying to put even coverage on a huge loss area.

A natural transplant (that isn't full coverage) has to recreate a real stage of the balding process. Nature starts the thinning in the center of the crown and works outwards. There is no point where your whole final pattern is visible but the whole losing area is covered with half-density hair.
I do not completely agree. This is traditionally viewed as the most practical way but with better and better FUE technology, it is no longer the de facto way to go for everyone. It really comes down to personal preference. In my preference, a balding look is worse than both full hair and full bald. It’s the worst look of all. I don’t care what natural balding looks like. Leaving a balding crown after a transplant when it could be avoided is not cool. I’d rather have even but thin density across the entire scalp every day because my head will look better like that.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not completely agree. This is traditionally viewed as the most practical way but with better and better FUE technology, it is no longer the de facto way to go for everyone. It really comes down to personal preference. In my preference, a balding look is worse than both full hair and full bald. It’s the worst look of all. I don’t care what natural balding looks like. Leaving a balding crown after a transplant when it could be avoided is not cool. I’d rather have even but thin density across the entire scalp every day because my head will look better like that.

If you wanna look unnatural, go ahead. You may prefer it. Your call.

But don't kid yourself - it will be noticed. Other people may not be able to figure out exactly what's wrong (concealers? hairpiece? etc). But people WILL be saying "There is something funny going on with his hair."

And the thing about looking unnatural, is that you don't get to choose what other people attribute it to. Normal people don't know the ins & outs of cutting-edge FUE techniques. They will be thinking stuff like "Is that a bad toupee?" or "Did he get cheap bad transplant?" or "Does he have cancer? Is he sick with something?" They will NOT be thinking "He must have gone to the best FUE surgeon in the world and gotten the most coverage possible for his genetic loss." (If you try to explain the latter, they will be thinking "That's the best surgeon? He didn't even come out looking normal!")

Donald Trump thinks his weird combover and obvious spray tan looks better than toning it down and looking closer to normal. But most people think he looks ridiculous. Even many of his fans think he looks ridiculous. This is what happens when somebody hates some aspect of their appearance too much and they lose all sense of the bigger picture.

Last edited:

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Other Factors come into play here too, like what can you afford to do now (vs later) and what you can live with.

Rassman’s words around master plan definitely come to mind!

As somebody with a thinking crown, and curly hair, I’d be quite happy to transplant my hair to what it looked like 6 - 12 months ago. I could live with that forever.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least I can live with that until there are better solutions.

I’m also considering a 1guard cut all over and SMP into my FUT scar. Then deal with my hair loss in the future :p

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Omega2327 how did you initially contact Zarev for a consultation? Website says to fill out form and send pictures for consultation within 48hrs but then provides no way to attach images.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
People say yes his results are outstanding because of the density of patients.

One: Is he the only one with dense patients?
Two, more importantly: Just the fact that he is able to achieve that much coverage is an indication of skill and very high graft survival rate.

To me the results remain mind boggling. Unable to understand them, and hope to be able to interact with some of his patients.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
People say yes his results are outstanding because of the density of patients.

One: Is he the only one with dense patients?
Two, more importantly: Just the fact that he is able to achieve that much coverage is an indication of skill and very high graft survival rate.

To me the results remain mind boggling. Unable to understand them, and hope to be able to interact with some of his patients.
One. he is in Bulgaria so he most of his patients are good candidates.
Two. There are lots of skilled surgeons

To me his a good surgeon who goes further than most other surgeons are willing to go. I would consider him for that reason, but not because he's superior to other highly skilled surgeons.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Two. There are lots of skilled surgeons

To me his a good surgeon who goes further than most other surgeons are willing to go. I would consider him for that reason, but not because he's superior to other highly skilled surgeons.
To me it’s the going further than most others that I’m most impressed with. With male pattern baldness like mine I want follicles from my sideburn/above ear area to be used and I want as many grafts relocated from the back to the top as possible while still keeping the back free from obvious scarring. If Zarev is willing to do that that’s awesome. The only question I have left is if he would require going finasteride before and after doing a transplant on a Norwood 7. I do not want to take it ever. And my hair loss is so extreme that a dermatologist told me it would barely do anything positive anyway.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me it’s the going further than most others that I’m most impressed with. With male pattern baldness like mine I want follicles from my sideburn/above ear area to be used and I want as many grafts relocated from the back to the top as possible while still keeping the back free from obvious scarring. If Zarev is willing to do that that’s awesome. The only question I have left is if he would require going finasteride before and after doing a transplant on a Norwood 7. I do not want to take it ever. And my hair loss is so extreme that a dermatologist told me it would barely do anything positive anyway.
I agree. I like what he does. Fortunately I don't that extreme number of grafts, but if I did I would do it. You're going to have to take finasteride to protect the transplanted hairs since they won't all be immune

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree. I like what he does. Fortunately I don't that extreme number of grafts, but if I did I would do it. You're going to have to take finasteride to protect the transplanted hairs since they won't all be immune
Is this a sure thing? I hear so much conflicting info about that. I thought that the follicles that remain on the head in the back are essentially DHT resistant genetically.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this a sure thing? I hear so much conflicting info about that. I thought that the follicles that remain on the head in the back are essentially DHT resistant genetically.
They are most of the time, but if he's pulling hairs from outside of the safe zone there's a chance they will miniaturize. Probably not fully, but if they lose half their diameter then one day that would leave you very thin on top. Of course by that time hair multiplication will almost certainly be routinely available.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@pegasus2: so bulgarians tend to have a denser hair donor area? From all countries. I have not seen such results in India or middle east or Europe of US.

Also, a genuine question (not a rethorical one): If body hair looks more natural on scalp, when buzzed, what is the reason that Surgeons don't overharvest the donor area, and fill in the donor area with some body hair in between? I think most people would be willing to have sides and back shorter than top...

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Body hairs cycle differently than scalp hairs. I'ts been years since I have read into it, but IIRC they spend a higher percentage of their time dormant than scalp hairs. The coverage-per-graft is just not very good compared to scalp hairs. It's best left as a last resort, not something to plan around using from the start.

As for Finasteride and transplants, it's not that complicated. Transplanting a follicle only moves it around. It does not change what the future holds for that hair follicle, whether it's baldness or continuing to grow.

Transplant doctors tell you to use Finasteride to help the cosmetic result. It's not strictly necessary in a medical sense. It won't affect whether the transplanted grafts live or die. But if you have a high Norwood then you probably won't maintain a decent result without Finasteride in the long term.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The survival rate for body hair grafts is significantly lower too.