Dr Zarev Vacuum Assisted Tecnique For Graft Extraction

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok sorry, I dont know why I even took the time to respond, apparantly you just a retard.
Im sometimes surprised by how many autistic retards there are in this forum. The good thing is, they usually can be easily detected by this mixed upper-lower case autistic writing thing. Next time before I make an effort to make a detailed logical explanation, I will quickly pass over the user's profile to look for those.
Thanks moron.
Anytime dipsh*t <3

whatintheworld

Reaction score
@karatekid I understand your points, but think about the number of transplants performed yearly, and the number of people who actually take the time to document their experience on forums.

That number is absolutely miniscule. Further, I can think of several elite surgeons that simply have very little presence via forums, and with a little bit of research you will likely arrive at the same names that I'm thinking of.

Everyone here would want more actual patient accounts, no one is disputing that.

Further, many doctors have their own tools and aren't keen to disclose the details about them. I just paid $200 for a consultation with a reputable doctor in the US, and I could not pry the details out of him about the tool he uses, except that it is some custom motorized 0.8mm punch.

The point the people in this thread are making is that, there is sufficient evidence via photos, the praise from other surgeons, upcoming videos, upcoming in-person consultations, where the absence of forum posts is simply not enough to sour everyone's expectations.

Anyone going for a consultation, can of course choose not to proceed with surgery, or maybe after the consultation you will even be turned down. Any possibility can happen.

I take forum posts with a grain of salt as well, many are not showing the full picture, meaning different lighting, hair styles, using concealers, etc.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@karatekid I understand your points, but think about the number of transplants performed yearly, and the number of people who actually take the time to document their experience on forums.

That number is absolutely miniscule. Further, I can think of several elite surgeons that simply have very little presence via forums, and with a little bit of research you will likely arrive at the same names that I'm thinking of.

Everyone here would want more actual patient accounts, no one is disputing that.

Further, many doctors have their own tools and aren't keen to disclose the details about them. I just paid $200 for a consultation with a reputable doctor in the US, and I could not pry the details out of him about the tool he uses, except that it is some custom motorized 0.8mm punch.

The point the people in this thread are making is that, there is sufficient evidence via photos, the praise from other surgeons, upcoming videos, upcoming in-person consultations, where the absence of forum posts is simply not enough to sour everyone's expectations.

Anyone going for a consultation, can of course choose not to proceed with surgery, or maybe after the consultation you will even be turned down. Any possibility can happen.

I take forum posts with a grain of salt as well, many are not showing the full picture, meaning different lighting, hair styles, using concealers, etc.
Sure, that's fair.
It comes down to everyone's subjective judgement. Everybody takes the data and consider his own risk/reward. For me, putting aside all the details that we discussed, bottom line my basic sense says simple thing - This isnt a good idea to choose a doctor that just popped up from somewhere, is unknown in the hairloss online communities, and which I know very little of, while there is a dozen of top class, well known, reputable surgeons with proven resume, around the world, that I can choose from. That's it.
Everybody is welcome to have a different opinion. As long as you are reasonable and cautious to check it thoroughly, I think it's fine. If you go to consultation, maybe ask him if you can talk to one of his clients, and see the results even in a video call.

The reason I might sound a bit harsh in the previous comments, is because people got into the hype too much and call it 'a cure', like cmon, maybe lets stay with the feet on the ground? I saw it happen too many times in threads here in the research section - some new treatment appear from nowhere, with big promises and nice pictures of before and after, everybody gets excited and get their hopes up, and slowly as they dig into it they just get disappointed, and the thread slowly diminish and die.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

^^this. All of this. Top surgeons not having many online reviews is not uncommon at all. Some people get so fixated on forum reviews (or lack thereof) that they miss the forest for the trees. I even asked Zarev point blank about his lack of online reviews in my initial emails with him:

“For this reason, during the conference in Manchester, I took one of my patients with me to verify the reliability of my results. There, each of the doctors had the opportunity to examine in detail and personally the result of my patient. I have been performing hair transplants for more than 11 years, and the so-called AVA FUE, allowing such volumes, for more than 7 years. More than 90% of my patients are Bulgarian citizens, as I have never advertised my practice, even in my country. The only way my patients understand about me is from patient to patient and from my results on my site. As you know, the cost of the operation is € 4 per graft. The average monthly salary in my country is € 1,000. This naturally selects my patients, most of whom are people with very high social status or local celebrities. Most of these people do not have the time and culture to be active and write about their experience on the Internet. For a long time I did not show my results in public. I started showing them after meeting Dr. Cole, as he introduced me to FUE last night and due to the interest I had to demonstrate my results. However, I will try to ask one of my patients to share his experience.”

Makes total sense. For those who haven’t seen, below is the video at the Manchester conference where Zarev presented multiple cases and brought one of his patients with him who then gave a LIVE review and had other doctors there examine his hair. I’ll take this over a forum review any day....

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah once someone gets a transplant from him and posts a review that would be great. Not being able to find any patient reviews is definitely a red flag. That being said his credentials are top notch. Dr. Cole is vouching for him and he is an Iahrs member.
So someone from the HRN forum just found a review from 2014 of a Zarev patient:Link (it's down the page).

The result is not bad, but it's nothing like the ones we saw in his website :/

Last edited:

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So someone from the HRN forum just found a review from 2014 of a Zarev patient:Link (it's down the page).

link not working for me???

Found it

https://www.hairestorationetwork.co...esults-i-have-ever-seen-is-this-legit/page/2/

Last edited:

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

That’s pretty interesting. Although the “result” you’re referring to is only at 4 months after surgery so it would be nice to actually see the final result. Also this was done back in 2014 and from the post “The doctor used a neograft/punchhairmatic machine without the graft suction feature, so the grafts are collected manually after the punch”. Doesn’t sound like the AVA method to me. It would be nice to get a more recent review with his new method.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s pretty interesting. Although the “result” you’re referring to is only at 4 months after surgery so it would be nice to actually see the final result. Also this was done back in 2014 and from the post “The doctor used a neograft/punchhairmatic machine without the graft suction feature, so the grafts are collected manually after the punch”. Doesn’t sound like the AVA method to me. It would be nice to get a more recent review with his new method.
Good catch.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lorenzo is also a an incredible choice.

I had close to 9500 grafts performed by Lorenzo, and my hair looks amazing. Donor at guard 1.0 to 2 looks great, with some areas of less density (extraction areas), but undistinguishable to the normal person who has no idea about hair transplants. Sort of just looks like a slightly bad haircut. But I havent had anyone comment about it. I've even gone out with a minus 0 guard, but at that guard its very obvious and I did not like it (Heavy scarring in one area) . Minus because I used the trimmer, which is comparable to using a razor blade , and shaves lower than a 0 guard.

At guard 2.5 and above, its perfection.

And according to Lorenzo I still have 3000 grafts in the tank, and that is not including beard. So that would also put me in line with Zarevs clients (12k+ grafts).

However, this thread is very interesting and I will definitely be studying and reading about Zarev techniques and results.
Wow, 9.500K grafts. Please post the pics man and let us envy your results!

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well he responded to me and I scheduled the consultation after all! These delays were frustrating but Dr.Fereirra for instance still hasn't responded and I emailed him over 2 weeks ago, so maybe these transplant doctors are just that busy after all. Covid permitting I'll be traveling to Bulgaria later next year.

Certainly I hope to get a few more opinions in the meantime but, if everything goes as planned, he still remains my first choice.
When is your appointment? Please let us now!

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
€4 per graft? Eh it’s Bulgaria.. think I’d go with Pekinar or Keser if I was paying that.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I knew nothing about the procedure and heard terminology called "vacuum assisted technique", I would assume it's some extraction mechanism that minimizes graft transection by almost sucking the graft cleanly out from the head. So the surgeon would still probably need to apply the initial pressure, determine the right angle of extraction, and the tool would perform the majority of the work after that.

This would in theory minimize adjacent graft damage and allow for greater donor harvesting reserves.
Interesting.

Perhaps the current way grafts are extracted in standard FUE surgeries cause a lot of damage to the neighbour follicles, causing unnecessary extra depletion to the donor area, and with his method he can be more precise and save a lot of hairs? In other words, it's not that his new method is good, it's the current standard method that is bad.

I mean, there must be a logical explanation about how he is taking out so much hair from the donor area yet it somehow still looks basically untouched?

And to the people asking how come the older and more experienced surgeons are not already doing something similar if it yields so much better results - just take a look at the history of science, a lot of the time (if not most of the times) the breakthroughs and paradigm shifts came from talented people that were very young and could see the world with fresher eyes.

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, all the results on Zarev's website are with scalp donor only.

Except this one, where he seems to have good results with chest hair (6050 grafts!): https://www.instagram.com/p/B0-3IjlHsUJ/. He can probably do well with beard donor too.

If you replace harvesting from the NW7 area with using beard and chest hair, and you're okay with having short hair (due to the use of chest hair), this might be a cure without using finasteride or worrying about hairs harvested from the NW7 area falling out?
How come it doesn't look at all like chest hairs on the scalp? All the grafts came from the chest so no chance to "blend in" with normal hairs, yet all the hairs look like normal hairs? This is starting to look like black magic stuff, there must be an explanation

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 13.54.05.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 13.54.05.png
    672.7 KB · Views: 189

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
50 euros. According to his website, his technique results in a 95-98% and survival rate and others may be ~70%.
If that is true then it's a total game changer. A jump from 70% to 95% is a 35% increase in yield. Means that, for a example, a 7K graft session from Zarev would achieve the same results of a 9,5K grafts regular one. Now the physics are starting to make sense (again, considering the claim is true).

And on top of that, is his extraction method causes less/no damage in adjacent hairs compared to the standard one, then the once seemingly impossible results start to look more possible.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These numbers are a bit made up to be honest. A high-end European surgeon will get at least 90% of grafts survival. Obviously the patient needs to take care of himself in the post-op, but those are the numbers roughly.
I agree those estimates are probably not very scientific, but so isn't the 90% numbers of grafts survival for the top rated surgeons.

For example, what's the denominator of the 90% number? Total grafts extracted or total grafts extracted that were not transected by mistake? You start losing grafts even before you implant them, so if you lose 10% during extraction, and 10% of the implanted ones ends up not growing, you end up if a little more than a 80% total yield.

Not to mention that in bigger sessions the risk of the doctor getting sloppier because of physical and mental exhaustion increases, which could result in even lower total yields.

So I speculate that getting a total yield in the 70s% is not as hard as we would think even if the surgeon is not a butcher.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If price is a factor US isn't competitive at all. I'm interested in Dr. Cole's stuff myself because of his follicle regeneration protocol, Anything that can get me more hair I'm all game. I don't really care about the price. That being said I wont be in the market for a transplant for about 3 years, other stuff I'm getting done.
Woa does he claim to regenerate the extracted grafts or is it about just recovering lost scalp hairs (like with minoxidil)? Could you elaborate more? Sounds very interesting, thanks

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I agree those estimates are probably not very scientific, but so isn't the 90% numbers of grafts survival for the top rated surgeons.

For example, what's the denominator of the 90% number? Total grafts extracted or total grafts extracted that were not transected by mistake? You start losing grafts even before you implant them, so if you lose 10% during extraction, and 10% of the implanted ones ends up not growing, you end up if a little more than a 80% total yield.

Not to mention that in bigger sessions the risk of the doctor getting sloppier because of physical and mental exhaustion increases, which could result in even lower total yields.

So I speculate that getting a total yield in the 70s% is not as hard as we would think even if the surgeon is not a butcher.

There were big, explosive threads on other forums with certain FUT (mostly) surgeons claiming that FUE would never be able to get FUT yields. That FUT will always remain the gold standard.

These claims were only about 5 years ago too. Now, unless you have extremely fine caliber hair, exceptional scalp laxity, or are constrained by price, I think most people would agree that FUE is the way to go.

I think quite enough evidence is out that FUE yields have matched FUT, and that FUE (if done correctly) has less surgical risks. FUT scars can also widen over time, and the surrounding tissue can also be damaged thus making those grafts unharvestable for future procedures.