Dr Zarev Vacuum Assisted Tecnique For Graft Extraction

whatintheworld

Reaction score
This guy has been supposedly doing this AVA thing for at least 4 years and yet nobody heard about him until now. You can barely find anything about him on the internet.

What he shows is basically a baldness cure and nobody talks about it?

The hair transplant community is an echo chamber filled with shady characters and marketers. You have only certain doctors promoted and people post results from those doctors, thus propagating a positive feedback loop.

Also, consider how many hundreds of transplants doctors do, and how many patients actually take the time to go on forums and document their results. The number is very small in fact. However, I agree that Dr. Zarev should consider marketing himself better, as his results indicate he is clearly among the top surgeons in the world along with Dr. Konior in the USA, and Dr. Wong in Canada.

Dr Zarev seems to have only gotten notoriety when Dr. Cole introduced him at a conference last year, and he presented results from his mega FUE sessions. He also had an actual patient who appeared to have a full head of transplanted hair wave to the audience at the end of the presentation.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
And Prince William is bald because the press would be absolutely merciless at his expense if he were to get a transplant. Of course, this would only be temporary, and soon everyone would forget how he looked bald. He also may not care anymore, future king, attractive wife, etc.

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
He gets like a dozen thousands of grafts from the donor area and it still looks like it was untouched. Like no difference at all.

This is impossible.

I can easily find pics where donor area looks noticeably depleted after barely 2000 grafts, let alone 10000+ grafts

whatintheworld

Reaction score
He gets like a dozen thousands of grafts from the donor area and it still looks like it was untouched. Like no difference at all.

This is impossible.

I can easily find pics where donor area looks visibly depleted with barely 2000 grafts, let alone 10000+ grafts

Beautiful isn't it :D.

Notice in the pictures how clean the extractions look in the donor. No crater looking holes, no variations in diameter.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This is impossible.

I can easily find pics where donor area looks noticeably depleted after barely 2000 grafts, let alone 10000+ grafts

Thats not just skills, that guy is beating the rules of physics and manage to have the same hair folicle in two places at once.

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
Beautiful isn't it :D.

Notice in the pictures how clean the extractions look in the donor. No crater looking holes, no variations in diameter.

That's why it all sounds super fishy

The pics and the guy look pretty legit. He is even an IAHRS member. But the lack of reviews and information is a big red flag

Seems legit at first glance, but the humanity has already seen bigger scams.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This is impossible.

Dude this means absolutely nothing. Being able to see depleted donor areas after 2,000 grafts just means it was likely a shitty job by the surgeon and probably overharvested specific areas of the donor zone and thus leaving the visual impression it was thin. Think about the fact that by the time people even notice their hair is thinning, they’ve already lost 50% of their hair. This same logic should apply to an FUE transplant meaning one should be able to have 50% of their donor zone harvested before signs of thinning. With this, it makes sense that Zarev can harvest up to 60% of the entire donor zone as he’s stated.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Watching the youtube video one more time, it seems that Dr. Zarev does not really prefer to exceed 40 grafts / cm^2, except for the very front of the hairline. This is probably because that's where the singles are placed, so a higher number of grafts is needed.

This probably optimizes graft growth because grafts are then not competing for blood supply, and also helps to get those 95-98% yields.

The key is likely in the small punch size. Even if other doctors use a 0.7-0.8 mm punch, without the careful touch to extract only the absolutely necessary tissue for the graft, you will still get larger scarring and larger impact to surrounding donor tissue, thus limiting your donor capacity.

If you can get the punch down to 0.5mm, and do it cleanly, then of course this enables even higher yields. You can now cherry pick around the donor area, even outside the traditional absolute safe zone, and grab only the healthiest grafts. Because most men are unlikely to go all the way to Norwood 7, or have dupa in their donor area, that is what seems to make this approach possible.

In his video, he appears to go down to 0.6 mm, not 0.5, but 0.5mm is the lower limit of the range on the Ava technique on the website.

Last edited:

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope he teaches his methods to other FUE sugeons so prices can drop.
I don’t get why people think prices are high. I get it 4 euros is not what turkey offers but turkey also doesn’t offer AVA technique. 4 euros is probably 40th percentile of hair transplants in the US. And that doesn’t even factor in credibility of surgeon nor technique.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But US surgeons are basically ripping off their clients for the results they offer imo.
I disagree. U.S suregons use far less graphs than anyone in Turkey and still somehow have good results.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a Turkish surgeon perform an operation with fewer than 2000 graphs. Even for simple temple restoration.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does he even perform extraction and plantation himself. Like Picasso at the end of his life who had an army of artists working for him and where he just had to sign the finished paintings.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t get why people think prices are high. I get it 4 euros is not what turkey offers but turkey also doesn’t offer AVA technique. 4 euros is probably 40th percentile of hair transplants in the US. And that doesn’t even factor in credibility of surgeon nor technique.
I agree... 4 euros per graft is relatively very inexpensive. Could get 7,500 grafts for 30K and it be a functional cure.. Everyone is talking about Tsuji (and my god I hope he succeeds) but this would be 1/10th of the price. There’s an old saying that you get what you pay for... which I generally believe to be true. On that premise, the quality you get with Zarev is well worth the price.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
But US surgeons are basically ripping off their clients for the results they offer imo.

Medical care in the United States in general is very expensive and inefficient. But certainly if money is not a concerning factor, there are a few elite surgeons in the US that are worth considering.

Most guys probably don't need to go to the most elite surgeons for their procedures. If they want some hairline work and are pretty stabilized in terms of hair loss, a lot of doctors can give them a satisfactory result, even if it takes more grafts to do it. Of course you never want to waste grafts, but not everyone has tens of thousands of dollars of disposable income to drop for this procedure either.

For those going to the high Norwood realm though, every graft counts.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you guys qualifying this as a cure? Your DHT sensitive foliicles will still thin your remaining hair so unless there is a real cure to stop the damage, this is just a temporary solution.

doflamingo

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you guys qualifying this as a cure? Your DHT sensitive foliicles will still thin your remaining hair so unless there is a real cure to stop the damage, this is just a temporary solution.
Its a cure, the guy turns completely rotten deserted scalps into full heads of hair, if the follicles thin just go retransplant.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which DHT sensitive follicles are you referring to? The ones that are already gone on the top of their head? Or the ones that are not DHT sensitive hence why they exist unlike the other 65% of bare scalp?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
The ones on top of the head of a diffused hairloss subject that are not gone yet but will go eventually. It's hard to predict that you won't end up being a NW6 eventually.

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
The transplant forum isnt perfect no but it is the best place to go for , for information and reviews on surgeons. At the end of the day its an open forum where people can freely slate a clinic if they did a poor job, yeah I agree some surgeons get pushed on there more then others but its got rid of promoting many of the worst places which is a good thing and far better then what we used to have with no clue as to who was quality and who was not, as for them saying you need to wait for over a year to see results they are correct its the only way to tell 100% what you have got out of your grafts unfortunately.
In regards to this guy as previous posters have said something dosent add up, you cant take that many grafts and not see thining in the area, it dosent matter how good you think the guy is he has still taken a huge amount of hair out and that will show, his technique does not regrow donner hair in anyway so he is in the same boat as everyone else, this technique has been around for years and no one has picked up on how good it is? if you think something is too good to be true it is.. at least in hair loss

whatintheworld

Reaction score
The transplant forum isnt perfect no but it is the best place to go for , for information and reviews on surgeons. At the end of the day its an open forum where people can freely slate a clinic if they did a poor job, yeah I agree some surgeons get pushed on there more then others but its got rid of promoting many of the worst places which is a good thing and far better then what we used to have with no clue as to who was quality and who was not, as for them saying you need to wait for over a year to see results they are correct its the only way to tell 100% what you have got out of your grafts unfortunately.
In regards to this guy as previous posters have said something dosent add up, you cant take that many grafts and not see thining in the area, it dosent matter how good you think the guy is he has still taken a huge amount of hair out and that will show, his technique does not regrow donner hair in anyway so he is in the same boat as everyone else, this technique has been around for years and no one has picked up on how good it is? if you think something is too good to be true it is.. at least in hair loss

Do you think he's photoshopping/doctoring photos?

Just because you have seen certain types of FUE scars from other doctors, why would you expect that to be the only possible outcome?

Why do you think one "must" have visible scarring/cratering in the donor area?

Many people at one point thought that FUT "must" be done, and that it was the only viable approach. Dealing with absolutes like this, especially in science and technology, is a nebulous rock to stand on.

Either he is lying, or the novel tools and methodology he is employing allow him to obtain a different result than the doctors who do not use such tools and methods.

If he is lying, that would be a pretty elaborate lie and conspiracy to peddle, especially at a conference amongst other surgeons who could easily call him out if they suspected as much.

Nevertheless, I agree that more patient accounts via online forums or other mediums are needed.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you reached out for a consultation yet?

No. I still have to do some more research on transplants. It hasn't been a focus of mine since it wasn't really an option for me until recently.