Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kyocera's release date of 2020 seems too optimistic. The reaserchers at Riken think it will take 5-10 years, i trust them much more than Kyocera.

Riken have only been testing on slick bald lab rats. We have no idea how smoothly this technology will translate to humans; how will diffuse thinners react vs slick bald patients? will hairs grow out in uniform directions and naturally form a good looking crown/hairline, or will they grow out in random directions? These questions are unanswered and could take another decade to figure out.

If Riken can reliably produce the new cells, then 95% of the science is done. As this is not some kind of chemical solution there is no fundamental difference between implanting in rats and humans as you are using the patients own genetic material. The next big step is creating the industrial machinery that will take the cells extracted from biopsy, cultivate them and then combine them to create the new individual germs in an automated manner. Three years is a realistic time frame from Kyoceras point of view for their part of the partnership.

The issue about slick bald vs diffuse is more of an issue with something like Replicel that works by reinforcing existing follicles with new DP cells. These are new follicle cells so will need to be injected in the same manner as a hair transplant with a doctor planting the cells in-between existing hairs. Unfortunately if you have good density but thin hair then I cant see how this will help, Replicel may be a better solution in these cases.

There is also no need to be concerned about hairs growing in the wrong direction, this is not a hair implant so there is no follicle as such, just a bunch of cells that will develop into a follicle. Like a planting a seed it does not matter which way you plant it they always grow upwards, the implanted cells should develop the way a new hair develops at birth.

Last edited:

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How awesome would it be if Shiseido's treatment worked as well as this graphic:

medical_pic_02.jpg

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are new follicle cells so will need to be injected in the same manner as a hair transplant with a doctor planting the cells in-between existing hairs. Unfortunately if you have good density but thin hair then I cant see how this will help

Hair transplants are sometimes done on diffuse thinners. It's just more technically difficult for the surgeon. But I don't think there would be any issue with injecting on existing hair because the new hairs would just grow around them like in nature.

This is obviously something they will need to test for because you can be sure thag they will have many diffuse guys asking for treatment!

This guy is having more added to his hair transplant. With a hair germ cloning treatment, they could inject 128 hairs per cm2 along those spots right there.

article-2542976-1AD68D4D00000578-906_1024x615_large.jpg

I'm 70% that cloned hairs would just grow next to/around what is already there. It should just form and then gros like natural hair. What business would it have getting mangled with existing hairs? The likelihood of that seems small to me.

Remember, some people have up to 400 hairs per cm2 naturally, so a lot of hairs can cram into a small space without any problems.

I have less hope in Shiseido unless they can somehow improve on Replicel's technology. There are questions about how long the effect if there are any would be maintained. Replicel said it would be "durative" but couldn't say if that meant several years, a decade or for life.

Last edited:

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Riken have not produced head hair with iPS cells yet, they need mesenchymal cells to do that, Theyve just created body hair cells, which requires only a few hundred papilla cells i believe - head hair requires a few thousandpapilla cells. Head hair is probably more complex, as its life cycle is up to 6 years long, vs body hair which has a much shorter cycle of only a few weeks.

I think the mesenchymal cells signal to another type of cell (epithelial) to start growing hair. So its a question of how long will it take riken to figure out how to reprogram iPS cells into mesenchymal for head hair. They think 5-10 years.

I wouldn't bank on a 2020 release date.

kuba197

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Kyocera's release date of 2020 seems too optimistic. The reaserchers at Riken think it will take 5-10 years, i trust them much more than Kyocera.

Riken have only been testing on slick bald lab rats. We have no idea how smoothly this technology will translate to humans; how will diffuse thinners react vs slick bald patients? will hairs grow out in uniform directions and naturally form a good looking crown/hairline, or will they grow out in random directions? These questions are unanswered and could take another decade to figure out.
Where did you read that it will take 5-10years?

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
The 5-10 years timeline is for fully functional skin with all appendages present for the purpose of grafting on to burn victims. This article was published before Riken annonced its partnership with kyocera.

Head hair may take even longer then, because they havent even worked out how to reprogram iPS cells into mesenchymal cells needed for head hair. I dont believe kyoceras predictions as theyre not the ones responsible for figuring this out.

kuba197

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Head hair may take even longer then, because they havent even worked out how to reprogram iPS cells into mesenchymal cells needed for head hair. I dont believe kyoceras predictions as theyre not the ones responsible for figuring this out.
You confuse his developments and methods....

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
You confuse his developments and methods....
no i havent. Which of the following comments aren't facts:

• studies using mice is body hair, not human head hair
  • mesenchymal cells haven't been made from human iPS cells yet.
  • Tsuji has said that the transition of this technology from mice to humans will take up to 10 years.

Tomtom21

Established Member
Reaction score
Hes not using ips cells.. Hes extracting exosting cells from graft for culturing and multiplication. More or less same as replicel except culturing different cell lines and combining them for a more complete fusion for hair follicle development. I see nothing about ips cells in the most recent article.

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
no i havent. Which of the following comments aren't facts:

• studies using mice is body hair, not human head hair
  • mesenchymal cells haven't been made from human iPS cells yet.
  • Tsuji has said that the transition of this technology from mice to humans will take up to 10 years.
Again, the ultimate goal of this technology is to be able to regenerate whole organs such as livers. The reason why they are regenerating hair first is because a hair follice is a mini organ and would provide a proof of concept or a stepping stone to move up to large systemic organs. The 10 year timeline is not necessarily for hair restoration. Anyway at this point, everything is speculation. Let's wait till Dr Tsuji makes a comment. One thing is for sure however. These are some serious scientists with solid science and funding behind them.

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Hes not using ips cells.. Hes extracting exosting cells from graft for culturing and multiplication. More or less same as replicel except culturing different cell lines and combining them for a more complete fusion for hair follicle development. I see nothing about ips cells in the most recent article.

0702_nfid01.jpg

I dont think mature cells extracted from the papilla have the potential to generate tissue. Whereas ips cells (younger mesenchymal stem cells) do, because they are more malleable.

So once the immature(iPS) epithelial cells are mixed with the mesenchymal cells ONLY THEN can hair can be generated. The trouble is they havent figured out how to create mesenchymal cells from human iPS cells yet.

What your talking about sounds more like replicel : culturing adult papilla cells(mesenchymal cells) from a biopsy and injecting them into the scalp.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Riken have not produced head hair with iPS cells yet, they need mesenchymal cells to do that, Theyve just created body hair cells, which requires only a few hundred papilla cells i believe - head hair requires a few thousandpapilla cells. Head hair is probably more complex, as its life cycle is up to 6 years long, vs body hair which has a much shorter cycle of only a few weeks.

I think the mesenchymal cells signal to another type of cell (epithelial) to start growing hair. So its a question of how long will it take riken to figure out how to reprogram iPS cells into mesenchymal for head hair. They think 5-10 years.

I wouldn't bank on a 2020 release date.
This treatment has nothing to do with IPS cells. What could possibly have made you think IPS cells are relevant to this treatment?

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
This treatment has nothing to do with IPS cells. What could possibly have made you think IPS cells are relevant to this treatment?
iPS cells are a type of stem cell generated from adult cells, in this case from the scalp. Epithelial stem cells and mesenchymal stem cells are needed in order for this procedure to work. Cells taken from the scalp aren't embrionic cells- hair or any type of tissue cannot be generated from adult cells. thats where iPS comes in. To reprogram the cells to an embryonic stem cell-like state.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

3 different things are basically explained in that movie. One is Replicel/Shiseido other one is Riken (Dr. Tsuji) and the third is Dr. Ohyama (iPS cells).

Dr. Tsuji is not making use of iPS cells.

If you would look at it. Shiseido/Replicel would fall under class 3 regenerative medicine, Dr. Tsuji under class 2 regenerative medicine and iPS cells under class 1 regenerative medicine in Japan regulatory environment. See picture below.

The thing is that epithelial stem cells reside in your hair follicle bulge and mesenchymal stem cells reside in the dermal papilla. Dr. Tsuji is going to extract those and multiple them.

japanclinic.jpg

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
iPS cells are a type of stem cell generated from adult cells, in this case from the scalp. Epithelial stem cells and mesenchymal stem cells are needed in order for this procedure to work. Cells taken from the scalp aren't embrionic cells- hair or any type of tissue cannot be generated from adult cells. thats where iPS comes in. To reprogram the cells to an embryonic stem cell-like state.
Embryonic stem cells aren't needed for hair regeneration. Hairs are one of the few cells in the body that regenerate/refresh on their own. That's also true for teeth, albeit only once. IPS cells are not used in this treatment. Read Tsuji's 2012 Nature publication.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello,

You seem to know about iPS cells. In that case, could you tell us if the cloned follicles would inherit ageing characteristics from the donor follicle, or does iPS reset them to act as new (young) follicles?

I keep thinking this whenever I see old guys with senile alopecia and miniaturized donor area.