Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
Hi Swoop.

Thanks for the illustration.

Do you know whether the clones would inherit damage? With increased age, donor area hairs can become thinner. You see this in many older men and some young men. Diffuse thinners often have very weak donor areas.

Would these cloned hairs carry on from the stage of life of the original hair, damage and all, or would they start from "Day One", as if reborn?
They would carry on from the life of the original follice. That being said, even the most severe of thinners still have a 100 or so healthy strands of hair which would suffice

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why wouldn't I be optimistic about this? This is something that makes sense from a scientific perspective. That could possibly give rise to a treatment that can basically deliver almost anyone a full head of hair, the hair follicles would behave the same as on the back of your head. No more drugs etc. Most of the current pipeline treatments are total sh*t to me. The overwhelming majority can't even keep up with minoxidil and finasteride. Some are downwards laughable.

This is something else for me. Making use of the cells of the hair follicle itself that have regenerative capacity to mimic the process of a developing hair follicle is beautiful simplistic, yet innovating for me. Science pur sang based on observations. Not saying this will work 100%, but this is real hope for me. Besides the team behind this is no joke. Highest elite tier you can wish for.

I didn't expect they would get the culturing process right, this was always a huge problem.

I made a quick simple illustration that is hopefully clear for everybody (click on it and it will get bigger);

tsujimethod.jpg
Thanks based dutchman.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"The treatment involves cutting off a small section of scalp and extracting two kinds of stem cells from hair follicles. The extracted cells are processed and propagated to increase their number by 100- to 1,000-fold, making it possible to transplant a large number of hair follicles by cutting off only a small section of the scalp."

How large a number of hair follicles? There are well over 100,000 hairs on a normal human scalp.

Could they create as many as this or only numbering in perhaps the low tens of thousands?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if you can clone one cell, then who's to say you can't clone the others? And the newly cloned ones as well? If they can clone one cell they can clone infinite cells, I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't mind the numbers too much.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
"The treatment involves cutting off a small section of scalp and extracting two kinds of stem cells from hair follicles. The extracted cells are processed and propagated to increase their number by 100- to 1,000-fold, making it possible to transplant a large number of hair follicles by cutting off only a small section of the scalp."

How large a number of hair follicles? There are well over 100,000 hairs on a normal human scalp.

Could they create as many as this or only numbering in perhaps the low tens of thousands?

Yes on the ENTIRE head, back, sides and top. I'd say a NW7 stil has at least 20000 hairs. And agreed with whatevr's point.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes on the ENTIRE head, back, sides and top. I'd say a NW7 stil has at least 20000 hairs. And agreed with whatevr's point.

Yeah that's what I meant, on the whole head there are 100k+ hairs.

If what whatevr says is right - that they will be able to mass reproduce an unlimited amount of cell germs, enough to fully restore with maximum density not only the classic bald top of the head but every last area of the scalp should you desire it, well that would virtually be a total cure, taking everyone back to adolescent-like density across the whole scalp, from the forelock to the nape.

If however they can produce say around 10,000 or so hair follicles per skin biopsy, while that would undoubtedly be amazing and beat hair transplants hands down, it wouldn't be as clean or total a solution as having unlimited (100k) follicles at your disposal. You would still end up having less dense areas among your high density areas and nowhere would it come close to matching your original density.

So you see, there is a clear difference between these two outcomes which I hope you will appreciate.

I have yet to hear Dr. Tsuji use the word "unlimited" to describe what he aims to do, but maybe it has been implied in other ways or he will use this word in the future. I hope so!

Last edited:

Crespo88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
one question, if one was to invest money into this, which company should i invest in? Kyocera or Riken??

bags

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Swoop for explaining it to the naysayers. Let me try a different approach:
The only people other than Tsuji that could give us a cure in the next 10-20 years are Dr. Christianos team, Dr Jahodas team and Dr. Lausters team. Dr Christiano went for AA treatments she is not interested in anything more, Dr. Jahodas students like Dr. Gardner were working on it and then they went on to different projects. Dr. Lausters team has no money and they have to go through bureaucratic hell like Dr. Atac said to hellouser.

So Tsuji is our only hope for the cure in next decade or two. If this by some small chance fails (although funding, safety profile and bureaucracy are always a potential treatment killer) there will be nothing else to cure us. Everyone will be stuck on minoxidil and finasteride. If minoxidil and finasteride were really working for you dear readers you wouldn't be on this forum now would you.

Dont rape me for asking this question...... Are Tsuji and Shesido/Replicell not working on the EXACT same technology?

On the surface it all looks the exact same to me.

Take biopsy to retrieve the DP cells which then get cultured and multiplied and then injected into the skull. Obviously that is over simplified but what is the difference between the two companies procedures?

If theres no difference why are they not working together?

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
while you're doing your hair math, don't forget that 1 follicle != 1 hair shaft. the average ratio is 2.15.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A huge problem with this treatment is going to be the possibility of pili multigemini when injecting the primordium in areas that already have hair. I'm interested to see how they plan to mitigate the risk, or if they've even considered the issue.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don’t know. This sound like fantasy world. I am not too much optimistic.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
A huge problem with this treatment is going to be the possibility of pili multigemini when injecting the primordium in areas that already have hair. I'm interested to see how they plan to mitigate the risk, or if they've even considered the issue.

I assume that means cancer in a nutshell?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I assume that means cancer in a nutshell?
Pili multigemini is when you get a ton of hairs that merge into the same follicle. It can cause irritation, ingrown hairs, folliculitis, etc. I'd imagine it's an especially big problem when injecting primordium into areas that already have hair. How can the clinician prevent the hairs from getting intertwined and merging with the existing hair? This begs the question of whether you'll need to be completely bald to have this treatment. If not, would you just have to have annual treatments to fill in the progression of baldness? That would be impossibly expensive for most people if the treatment costs anything over $5,000. And if all of this is true, can this technique ever apply to women who lose hair diffusely? We really need to contact RIKEN about this issue. For the time being, I'm kind of turned off by this treatment.

Pili%2BMultigemini.JPG

Last edited:

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if we will ever have a cure.All i hear is , they are teaming up, they found something, they are in phase 3 but eventually there is still esentially nothing than you know what.Still not able to believe that we will finally end this misery and embarassment that fucks an entire life.