Dr. Reddy's Generic Finasteride Led to Shedding

9tfrizzco

Established Member
Reaction score
there's also Finpecia 1mg which is manufactured by Cipla.

It's odd that people notice a difference when switching to generic - it should be exactly the same drug and do exactly the same thing
viral marketers?

it's exactly the same drug goddamn.

FairHared

Reaction score
Granted this is early, I have been on Dr. Reddy's generic finasteride for 15 days now and I believe it is legit. I've noticed the oil 'shiny' spots on my forehead near my thinning hairline have reduced considerably. The dreaded scalp-itch and pain near my temples have reduced considerably as well although the pain comes and goes mostly due to the stress of my job. The hairs that I am starting to shed are just thin/weak/lifeless hairs and not the thick healthy hairs I had as well.

Keep in mind, I did not switch over from Merck brand Propecia to Dr. Reddy's.

And if anyone wants to consider me a 'shill' my original s/n on here was Obsidian.

lontano

Reaction score
Of course, it should work the same as Propecia. The question is whether or not it does. Search and you'll see others have experienced shedding after switching. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.

You can also search and see that some Indian drug makers have been targeted by the FDA, and they've found serious lapses of standards. Here's a case of Dr. Reddy shipping out antacids contaminated by potentially pathogenic microbes.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...&recall_number=D-884-2013&w=08212013&lang=eng

They seem to be one of the more reputable Indian manufacturers. Maybe there is another explanation for my experience. But I think it's a good thing to have users report their results so we can see if there is a trend here.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I've been on Dr.Reddy for over two months after being on Propecia for over 10 years and thankfully see no difference. In fact my hair seems to be in a phase where it's looking extra good. I have no clue if this is due to the generic, but my hair does in fact look a bit better since switching.

By the way, Merck now produces it's Finasteride for the US overseas. I mentioned this in another post.

If you look on your Propecia bottle (Merck) you'll see it says right on the bottle "Finasteride (Active Ingredient)-Made In UK.

This is on all my Propecia bottles which were purchased in the US at CVS.

I also have another bottle that says "Finasteride (Active Ingredient)-Made In Italy".

I don't know when Merck started doing this but all my bottles of Propecia for the last 2 years or so state right on the bottle that the very thing that makes Propecia what it is (finasteride) is now being manufactured by Merck overseas. So if people are concerned about FDA oversight not being as tight as it should be due to Dr. Reddy manufacturing generic Propecia outiside the US, going to Merck produced Propecia wouldn't really solve this concern as they too are now manufacturing their Finasteride in foreign countries for sale in the US.
It sounds like it is imported . Whats made in the UK does not not have to be the same as what is made in the US

armani231

Reaction score
Hi Guys. So, I have been on Propecia since it launched in the 90's. I heard about it through Spencer Kobren who had his book, The Bald Truth, released. Started it right away. I was in my early 20's. Within a few months, I noticed my hair filling in and the shedding ceased. I have never had any side effects from Propecia. I have now been on it for 18 years, and it has literally saved my hair. When I started, I was not a Norwood anything, just had diffuse thinning all over, especially the hairline. I have been religious with Propecia and made it through my 30's with a full head of hair and thinning never seemed to be in the forefront of my mind. I am now 45. I decided to try Dr. Reddys 1mg Finasteride in place of Propecia, figuring now that there was a generic I could save a little money and maybe my insurance would cover it. I switched 9 months ago in April. I didn't notice anything at first, then slowly I felt like something had changed with my hair, that it was not styling up correctly and just thought I was getting some bad haircuts. After 4 months, I realized that, in fact, I was shedding and not regrowing any hair. It became apparent that my hair was thinning, especially near the hairline and crown. I tried to think what could be the cause and NEVER once did I think it could be the Dr.Reddy switch. After all, finasteride is finasteride, right???? Just last month, I noticed my thinning getting to the point where I figured my body must have built up an immunity to finasteride and that my full hair days were going to wind down. I figured I had a good run and would consider some new options as the thinning progressed. During my research, I looked up online "Propecia vs. Dr. Reddy" as it finally dawned on me that that was really the only thing different I had been doing.When I saw the posts of others saying they had experienced changes in their hair when they switched, I started to think maybe that's what happened to me. Soooo, yesterday I made an appointment with my dermatologist (I was getting the finasteride script from my Internist) and I mentioned to her about the Propecia switch to the generic and also about the changes in my hair. She told me that there IS a difference between Dr. Reddy and Propecia. Apparently, the generic version has to comply with a "similar" range of active ingredients to the brand name. As long as they are within range of the brand name, they can produce a generic version. She also stated that there are also other ingredients that can vary in the non-active parts of the pill that can aid or decrease absorption of the active ingredient. So, in a nutshell, she recommended i stop the Dr. Reddy and go back to the Propecia. INTERTESTINGLY ENOUGH…. she said that she has heard the same story from many other men who have switched from Propecia to Dr. Reddy and that I am not the first patient she has heard this from at all!!!! HOWEVER, she told me that those who have switched to the 5mg Finasteride and are cutting it in half and taking it every two days, have not mentioned any difference from Propecia. Weird huh??? She could not confirm that I would regain the lost hair, but did say that all the studies show that even while on Propecia for the length of time I have been on it, it has not proven to lose its efficacy over the long run (well, she said maybe a little bit as we age). So, I am now going to pick up my new batch of Propecia and I'm tossing the Dr. Reddy in the trash and going to hope that things start to reverse in the next couple months. We will see. I guess what I have learned is if something is not broke, don't fix it! Truly, though. Merck has been making Propecia for nearly two decades and it is proven to be very effective. They have tons of experience and data gathered from all these years of research. Again this is just my opinion, and maybe I have cheated baldness long enough and it has nothing at all to do with switching brands, and time will tell. Wishing everyone success!!!!

lontano

Reaction score
Hi, armani. Thanks for sharing this. I was told by a pharmacist that others have reported the same thing. It sounds like our stories are similar – close in age and using Propecia for a long time. I find it hard to believe that the switch to Dr. Reddy's just happened to coincide with a sudden loss of my responsiveness to finasteride. Shedding has continued since switching back to Propecia. I'm imagining I'll need time to recover (if I am going to recover) my hair as the individual hairs go though their life cycles. But right now I'm considering shaving my head in anticipation of this not turning around. The setback has been quite dramatic.

volagsrule

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents to perhaps comfort some people's fears over using generic meds.

-According to the FDA currently 84% of all prescriptions filled in the US are for generics, and this number is expected to rise. That means people with heart problems, cancer, HIV etc. are using generics. Actual life and death situations.

-Many American drug manufacturers produce their medications, or active ingredients overseas, in foreign production facilities. Merck itself does this. All my Propecia bottles purchasd here in the US clearly say on the bottle "Active Ingredient: Finasteride- Manufactured in ITALY.

-Yes, there are certainly horror stories one can find as it relates to generic drug manufacturers, but almost just as many can be found as it relates name brand drug companies

-Some interesting info directly from http://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesf...afely/understandinggenericdrugs/ucm167991.htm

FACT: Research shows that generics work just as well as brand name drugs.

• A study evaluated the results of 38 published clinical trials that compared cardiovascular generic drugs to their brand name counterparts. There was no evidence that brand name heart drugs worked any better than generic heart drugs.

Concerning the difference between generic and name brand:

• This amount of difference would be expected and acceptable, whether for one batch of brand name drug tested against another batch of the same brand, or for a generic tested against a brand name drug. In fact, there have been studies in which brand name drugs were compared with themselves as well as with a generic. As a rule, the difference for the generic-to-brand comparison was about the same as the brand-to-brand comparison.

• Any generic drug modeled after a single, brand name drug must perform approximately the same in the body as the brand name drug. There will always be a slight, but not medically important, level of natural variability – just as there is for one batch of brand name drug compared to the next batch of brand name product.

-Some have suggested quartering Proscar instead but this too could lead someone to endless speculation as to it's efficiency:

Will the pill being exposed to the air degrade it's potency? What if I lose some powder while cutting it? Will taking 5 mg of finasteride every four days rather than 4 mg induce side effects? What if the medication isn't evenly distributed in the pill and you take all the finasteride in one quarter of the pill thus going four days with no daily finasteride? You could drive yourself nuts.

My point isn't to try and convince people to take generic but simply to not have everyone instantly rule out generics. The savings is getting rather huge. In my area Propecia is now over 100 bucks for 30 tablets, while Costco is selling 30 generic Finasteride tablets for $14.00. As always use your best judgement and do what you think is best for you.

yort

Reaction score
I'd like to chime in here. I had the same experience after switching from brand name Propecia to a generic. It took me 14 months of shedding until I figured out that the generic brand (Cipla) I was taking was crap. I was assured by my doctor that the active ingredient finasteride was the same. BS!! Went back to Propecia and after about 4 months my shedding has subsided.I have the feeling that many of us are being suckered with all this generic finasteride. There's definitely something fishy going on here. That's my opinion.

tbst594

Reaction score
A data point:

I've only been on finasteride for 2 months, but my pharmacy gave me Dr.Reddy's finasteride instead of the brand name.
I was shedding a lot by my normal standards when bathing, combing hair before I started on finasteride. Just needed to touch my hair sometimes to see a strand or 2 fall.
My Doctor did say I may have been suffering from telegen effluvium along with male pattern baldness. My shedding has reduced a lot.

Since I really just wanted the brand name drug instead of generic (got ripped off anyway, paid $240 for 90 tablets of generic), I will be going to buy the brand name Propecia.

dguy621

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this forum but I came across this thread and wanted to add my two cents. I want to warn everyone thinking about switching to generic propecia/finasteride. My doctor told me I could get generic propecia about 4 or 5 months ago and I thought great, keep my hair and save some money. Wrong! It was the worst decision ever. After about month 2, I started losing insane amounts of hair. On my desk, in the sink, in the shower, on my clothes. Everywhere I looked there was hair. I toughed it out for a little over 4 months and the shedding never stopped. My hair is to the point where you can clearly see recession in the temples. There is no hiding it now. I just recently switched back to name brand propecia and the shedding stopped. As you all can imagine, I am furious. 4 months of hair down the drain... Generic is suppose to be the same ingredients from what I understand? My doctor told me he saw only 3 out of 100 patients with this side effect so far. I guess everyone is affected differently. I just hope I can regrow what I lost now because of Dr. Reddy's generic propecia. Has anyone else experienced this?

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very interesting post. Up until now, I thought Dr. Reddy's finasteride was what was marketed as Propecia, but I was wrong completely.
I have not used Propecia at all, but used Dr. Reddy's generic finasteride for 50 days from Oct 2013 till Dec 2013. My hairline is severely destroyed, especially in the temporal area.
The funny thing is the generic version costed me around $75 for 30 days worth and was discounted to $65/bottle with Walgreen's discount...
I could live with the cost if it's effective, but it only has done more harms to my hair so far.

jom

Reaction score
I am coming to the end of a 4 month supply of Dr Reddys having never taken Propecia. My hair is infinitely worse now than before I started taking the drug. I am significantly thinner all over including hack and sides where I had no issues before but particularly thinner on top. My hairline is completely destroyed at the front as well. The ease at which hair falls out of my head is frightening.

It should be noted that the reason I got on finasteride in the first place is because my hair was falling out but I guess we'll never know whether I would have continued on this curve or not.It is impossible to imagine that finasteride has slowed the balding process in anyway so far given how I have progressed since taking the drug; if anything I would say it has accelerated it although this cannot be proven.

I haven't really experienced any sides apart from feeling a bit anxious/depressed but this could be put down to having difficulty accepting losing my hair as much as the drug I feel.

My prescription is up in a couple of days and my option are:
a) give up the drug
b) get a refill of Dr Reddys generic
c) try propecia

I'm leaning towards option out of desperation although I don't have high hopes. Deep down I don't believe the fact that I'm taking the generic form is the problem.

Thoughts anyone?

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll make sure to steer clear of it. I'm on 5mg of generic finasteride (split into 1.25 of course). This last month, my new pharmacy changed my generic finasteride to a different pill and I think it adversely affected me. That or I may have been due for a finasteride shed.

Instead of my usual coated blue circular pill, I received an oblong pill. I was a bit confused about whether when cutting it, I was receiving an equal dosage for all 4 pieces. Anyway, to be safe, I switched pharmacies and made sure the new prescription consisted of the coated blue circular pills.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am coming to the end of a 4 month supply of Dr Reddys having never taken Propecia. My hair is infinitely worse now than before I started taking the drug. I am significantly thinner all over including hack and sides where I had no issues before but particularly thinner on top. My hairline is completely destroyed at the front as well. The ease at which hair falls out of my head is frightening.

It should be noted that the reason I got on finasteride in the first place is because my hair was falling out but I guess we'll never know whether I would have continued on this curve or not.It is impossible to imagine that finasteride has slowed the balding process in anyway so far given how I have progressed since taking the drug; if anything I would say it has accelerated it although this cannot be proven.

I haven't really experienced any sides apart from feeling a bit anxious/depressed but this could be put down to having difficulty accepting losing my hair as much as the drug I feel.

My prescription is up in a couple of days and my option are:
a) give up the drug
b) get a refill of Dr Reddys generic
c) try propecia

I'm leaning towards option out of desperation although I don't have high hopes. Deep down I don't believe the fact that I'm taking the generic form is the problem.

Thoughts anyone?

I am not sure how bad your depression is, but mine was not very severe. However, I did feel lethargic and becuase I was losing so much hair, which receded my hairline even further, my self-esteem got lower everyday.
It's been about a little more than 2 weeks since I got off Dr. Reddy's finasteride. Everything is so much better for me now. No shedding, no depression, a lot more energy, and normal libido.
I am still using minoxidil twice, sometimes three times a day with dermaroller treatment once a week. I can't tell if my hairline grew back yet, but amount of hair loss severely reduced from getting off the finasteride.
Maybe I was one of the unfortunate ones who do not get much benefit from finasteride. My skin was more bumpy and warts appeared on my face after taking finasteride, which were the main reasons why I got off.
I can't really suggest what to do for you since everybody reacts differently, but that's just my story.

volagsrule

Reaction score
If anyone is interested a second generic just entered the market, "Accord Health Care". CVS seems to have now replaced Dr. Reddy's with this, as I, as well as others I know were given this brand when filling our last prescriptions.

As far as those still questioning Dr. Reddy's, Dr . Reddy is not new to manufacturing Finasterde. They've been doing it for years in the form of their generic Proscar, which is 5 mg tablets of Finasteride. I don't recall ever hearing a single issue with Reddy's generic Proscar. So why in the world would the company for years be able to produce good Finasteride in the form of a 5 mg tablet, and then all of a sudden produce junk Finasteride just because they are now making it in a 1 mg tablet? It's the same medication just a different potency.

nikfarlow

Reaction score
I was on Propecia for years. I'm not even sure when I started exactly. Must have been around 1999 when I was in my early 20's. About 9 months ago I switched over to the generic Dr. Reddy tablet. I didn't notice any increased shedding. In fact, in the beginning of October I went off wheat and have noticed a thickening of my hair (I have no idea if there's an actual correlation.)

The reason I'm writing is today I went to pick up my prescription and noticed that the pills looked different. I thought they had given me Propecia. It turns out that I was given a 90 day supply by Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc. Apparently they started producing a generic finasteride in October. Has anyone else come across this brand? Have you noticed anything positive or negative about it? Their parent company is in India, but their headquarters appear to be in NJ. I've written them to see where the drug is actually manufactured.

Thanks!

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In fact, in the beginning of October I went off wheat and have noticed a thickening of my hair (I have no idea if there's an actual correlation.)

What do you mean you went off wheat? Did you use to eat wheat bread or something?

buddyspied

Reaction score
After reading this chain..

I'd been taking "pms- finasteride" 1 mg (propecia generic) with good results for 21 months and got switched to another maker when my pharmacy ran out. I got switched to "sandoz - finasteride" 1mg and noticed a loss of hair over 3 months. So much so that I asked to be switched back to pms but was told they had supply issues. I'm in Canada and the price difference between the sandoz and real propecia is only 6 dollars a month, so I've decided to try out the real propecia for the FIRST time.

People saying there's no difference in generic vs real are judging too quickly. I'm not some merck employee conspiring against generics. I noticed a difference from one generic to another generic on my body and it's effectiveness. So this is a real issue for some people.

Since switching to real propecia a week ago, I'm noticing the one side effect I had when I originally started the pms generic finasteride 2 years ago. I'm getting acne on my shoulders just like I had way back when, so clearly my body is adjusting to a difference somewhere. A lot of people have said they've switched after losing but nobody has said whether they've managed to regrow hair lost from "dr. reddy's" or other generics. I will do my best to update in 3 months if I notice a difference or a shed now that I'm on the real drug.

Bottom line, for whatever reason, my body has responded differently to hypothetically the same medication. The only differentiating factor was the brand... So rather than accuse anyone who's experiencing or experienced the same thing as being a merck mole or an idiot, try accepting that everyone can react differently. These forums are for rare cases since most people who aren't negatively affected don't go rushing to forums to share their "normal" experience.. Good luck everyone.

AURORA

Reaction score
Ok so here is a very random question. Sorry for the long set up. I have been on propecia for years and years, maybe 9 or so. My last trip to the pharmacist i was given dr reddy's finasteride. I didnt realize it until i got home so i said what the hell and tried it. It was cheaper and supposed to be the same. Now i am not sure if i am just paranoid but it seems my hair is thinner in the last three months since i been on it and over the last nine years on propecia i felt great. Anyway i get my prescriptions 1 year at a time so i had 9 months left of the Dr Reddy's. Sure it is expensive but it saves me trips to the dr all the time and alot of hassle. i am considering refilling my prescription early and getting a year supply of Propecia again. (requesting non generic). My question is if i take say propecia for two days and then dr reddy one day can there be any side effect from mixing the two drugs? I dont want an entire 9 month supply of dr reddy to go bad. i feel like the dr reddys works ok just not like propcia and the way i am thinking is 5 days a week of propecia and 2 of dr reddys should still work great. Thoughts????

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Ok so here is a very random question. Sorry for the long set up. I have been on propecia for years and years, maybe 9 or so. My last trip to the pharmacist i was given dr reddy's finasteride. I didnt realize it until i got home so i said what the hell and tried it. It was cheaper and supposed to be the same. Now i am not sure if i am just paranoid but it seems my hair is thinner in the last three months since i been on it and over the last nine years on propecia i felt great. Anyway i get my prescriptions 1 year at a time so i had 9 months left of the Dr Reddy's. Sure it is expensive but it saves me trips to the dr all the time and alot of hassle. i am considering refilling my prescription early and getting a year supply of Propecia again. (requesting non generic). My question is if i take say propecia for two days and then dr reddy one day can there be any side effect from mixing the two drugs? I dont want an entire 9 month supply of dr reddy to go bad. i feel like the dr reddys works ok just not like propcia and the way i am thinking is 5 days a week of propecia and 2 of dr reddys should still work great. Thoughts????

if they both contain Finasteride then I don't see why not