Dr. Reddy's Generic Finasteride Led to Shedding

abcdefg

Reaction score
If you read the current news you would see FDA is finding many problems with generic drugs made in India. Maybe there is some truth to some generics not having the proper ingredients and not working the same.

mike20

Reaction score
Interesting... considering there is a lot of these complaints... I wonder if some potency was lost. finasteride has a short half life though I'm not sure if that would effect it in this way. i question that there are maybe old or improperly stored pills. India might be very hot outside and may have less air conditioning. Another possibility is that there are a lot of deceptive, Merck paid pr people lying about their experience. It's a lot of reports in this thread, interesting. Hope this helps, maybe someone with more knowledge will answer. There may be some corruption in regulation and standards... and I don't mean this in an offensive racist way, some people, African internet scammers, phone scammers, feel less guilty about ripping off Europeans or white people. This is obviously not all people of those ethnicity, just the culture in some areas.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you read the current news you would see FDA is finding many problems with generic drugs made in India. Maybe there is some truth to some generics not having the proper ingredients and not working the same.
well as far as i ve heard, it was something like this > > cheaper generics gave a tough time to indigenous companies and the rest is easy to figure out, its just what i read in some editorial, not necessarily true, i myself use finpecia by cipla(indian company) .25 mg, and it i know it works( side effects wise, waiting for results as its been only 40 50 days). Indian companies have good reputation in pharmacceuticals, m not saying this cuz m from india. . . just trying to present my POV without a bias

gnate12

Reaction score
I am on brand propecia and am considering switching to generic since the price dropped dramatically ($36 at costco vs $220 for brand). I've been on brand propecia for 5+ years without issue. Some of the posts earlier in this thread have me scared about switching to generic. Most of those posts are 6+ months ago. Does anyone have anything more recent to add to this discussion??

tram

Reaction score
I just wanted to weigh in on the generic drugs/finasteride issue.

Several months ago I ordered some generic 5mg finasteride called "Proscare" from India. Since I had read that you could cut the pills into parts and 1 mg was what was deemed effective for Propecia, I thought it would save me some cash to get the 5mg variant of finasteride.

I took this particular generic brand called "Proscare" until about 2 weeks ago. During the several months I took it, I thought I did notice some effects on my body that I ascribed to the finasteride. However, hair loss was still happening and I didn't notice much improvement (if at all) in that department.

Then, I ran out. I remembered that my father-in-law had a supply of a generic 5mg finasteride, a brand called "NorthStar RX". Since he was not taking it anymore I asked him for it and he gave it to me. So the other day I took a full 5mg pill (which I had done a few times with the Proscare brand I used before as well). Well, let me tell you, my physical symptoms after taking it were very pronounced. The entire day I felt my scrotum being very tight (I still feel it today and I haven't take my next dose yet). I further feel a more pronounced urge to urinate (I think). Further some tightening feelings around my testicles, prostate, general groin area. I also feel a slight difference in my body, generally, but it's hard to explain.

Anyway, I never felt anything like this going on with the Proscare brand. In fact, now I'm thinking the actual dose of finasteride in the Proscare brand were either very reduced or not even relevant. But the effect of the NorthStar RX one is really pronounced and I don't doubt it works at all. Hopefully it will help provide a bit of clarity. I had previously read some reports by users of finasteride that they also had tightening of scrotum and similar side effects (including shrinkage of penis when in relaxed state, etc.). So it would seem that the NorthStar finasteride is in line with that.

Today I had been reading some new experimental reports about dutasteride as well, which seems very potent in comparison to finasteride. For example, the 0.5mg dutasteride seems to be more effective against balding than the 5mg finasteride (and I wasn't planning on taking 5mg finasteride, more like half of that). Too bad I couldn't find a comparison between, say, 1 or 2mg of finasteride against 0.5mg dutasteride, or if that even matters. What is clear that (at least in the first months) a 2.5mg of dutasteride (which isn't actually available in that high a form) is even more effective than the 0.5mg dutasteride, but in the long run it is unclear. It seems that it may be a bit hard to obtain dutasteride in the US without prescription. At this moment I'm quite a bit weary of the generic drugs made in certain parts of the world, after that Proscare experience.

gnate12

Reaction score
Any follow up to this thread? A bunch of people said that generic finasteride harmed them, but those people mysteriously became silent.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
All finasteride is the same. The problem happens if a manufacterer makes bunk products, because even 10% of effective finasteride should give you good results. I know that Cipila (sp?) makes legit finasteride. Their products are fincar and finpecia. I take proscar personally because I don't trust the other locally produced finasteride. Besides, it still costs me about $30 a year.

Aneik

Reaction score
I am new to this forum.
Well,i am using Dr reddy's finax for few months only.So cant tell the results now...
But if you notice carefully,those guys who were talking against Dr reddy's have joined this site the same month of those posts..
What I mean is that They might joined this site just to make a bad reputation of dr reddy's...
Btw,I never used propecia sa I cant tell if it is better than generic or not...But I saw post of a member who tested Finpecia(cipla) & the result was that it contains actually .89mg of finasteride(instead of 1mg)..But definitely it was genuine.I think 1mg vs .9mg will not make much of a difference in case of finasteride....
So,I dont know about reddy but cipla's finasteride is near perfect...
And dont think I am biased...Actually the previous posts terrified me but I am really smelling fishy about those...
I hope reddy work for me otherwise I am finished...I am at NW3 vertex now...

gnate12

Reaction score
I am new to this forum.
Well,i am using Dr reddy's finax for few months only.So cant tell the results now...
But if you notice carefully,those guys who were talking against Dr reddy's have joined this site the same month of those posts..
What I mean is that They might joined this site just to make a bad reputation of dr reddy's...
Btw,I never used propecia sa I cant tell if it is better than generic or not...But I saw post of a member who tested Finpecia(cipla) & the result was that it contains actually .89mg of finasteride(instead of 1mg)..But definitely it was genuine.I think 1mg vs .9mg will not make much of a difference in case of finasteride....
So,I dont know about reddy but cipla's finasteride is near perfect...
And dont think I am biased...Actually the previous posts terrified me but I am really smelling fishy about those...
I hope reddy work for me otherwise I am finished...I am at NW3 vertex now...

Somehow all of these people who criticized generic finasteride have disappeared from the board.

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
Somehow all of these people who criticized generic finasteride have disappeared from the board.

i think theses are just cases of people being paranoid

also i ordered from india too *alldaychem

i dont think them big indian labs would risk giving out junk products, finasteride is kinda cheap why would they bother making fakes thats like someone making fake 1 dollar bills its pointless. if one person ever placed an order and took there order to a lab and its bunk they would get a horrible rep and no 1 would order

Aneik

Reaction score
I agree with you guys...
BTW how you are doing?
I am NW3 vertex(21.5 yrs old)...So how much long do you think I can keep my hair...(My father is NW6 at 60yrs,no AA case on maternal side)..
THANKS FOR REPLIES...

myronshair

Reaction score
I came here specifically to see if there were any new generic forms of Propecia that were just as effective as the brand name, since the now $100 bucks a month i'm paying for something I was paying $40 a month for back in 2003 (brand name Propecia) is getting a little inconvenient. I've noticed a few posts saying that the people who had a bad experience with Dr. Reddy's have 'mysteriously disappeared' and were probably there to just give that generic version a bad name. I don't believe this is true.

I started taking Propecia in 2003 at the age of 28. At the time, I was pretty empty in the back of my head, and the forest was pretty thin at the top and the front. I had a few friends who were taking it and said they had good results, so I decided to give it a try. I saw a difference within a month, and by six months, the back was noticeably filled in, and the top and front were thicker. The product has worked great for me, and I've been told by some of my college friends that I look like I have more hair now than I did in college. Only issue I've had with it though is that they keep jacking up the price, so once a generic version came out, I thought I was set. The version Target had was Dr. Reddy's (which I guess is the version everyone had because Reddy's had exclusive rights for a year or something)

Whenever I have gone a week without taking Propecia--usually because my prescription runs out and I don't get around to getting a new one--I've noticed certain things. My testosterone spikes, so I feel "tingly" after a few days, and then all those other things that go with higher testosterone that I won't go into detail about happen. I immediately noticed these things within a week of taking Dr. Reddy's, but I assumed that maybe my body was just getting used to a new cocktail of ingredients. Well, after a month, I noticed things thinning out up top, and two weeks into my second month on the Dr. Reddy's, it was pretty obvious to me what was happening, so I went back to Target and had them put me back on the brand name. I feel bad for the guys who went longer than me before switching back. I saw an immediate turnaround upon getting back on the brand name.

That was about a year and a half ago (maybe 2years), and the price of the brand name is now almost $100 a month, and I get pissed off every time I go to get refilled. What's more is Target doesn't keep the brand name in stock anymore, so they have to order it every time. Going online, or to other retail outlets, the price is about the same. I know there are other generic versions out there now, so I've been trying to find any comparisons of which ones are better (Walmart has the Camber generic?). Dr. Reddy's has spooked me from the generics, but I'm tired of paying through the nose every month. Does ANYONE have any information on which of the current generic versions of finasteride works best?

holyhead

Reaction score
All I can say is this..I had very thick hair..All over..A small spot was forming around my crown in the form of a straigt line..Looked like I got hit in the head with an axe lol..It started thinning in front of the line moving towards the middle and right side of my head..It wasn't even noticable to anyone else and look way worse under lighting to myself..In normal conditions it didn't show up much..My derm put me on generic finasteride at walmart..It was the hetero pharm brand which if you look it up its the same thing as Dr. Rheddy..Nothing happened for 6 weeks..Then on the 6th week my hair started a massive shed..I had never even noticed much hair falling before..It went on for 4 more weeks..For a total of 10 weeks on the drug..I stopped..The the shedding slowly halted..I thought phew!! I am just gonna leave well enough alone..My hair was thinner and my crown was alittle more blad it cause it to move forward more quickly..A gap or line even formed from it down through the side of my hair u could see looking in the mirror..It was not there before the finastride..Then i started ready similar stories from others about dr rheddys and looked up this hetero brand and seen the same complaints...So Well about 3months later my hair actually thickened up some..Then a massive hair fall hit again after everything went back to normal I suppose..Now my hair is thinner all over..Even in the front where it was not even thinning before...I went back and now she put me on merk propecia..I will see if it does any better and report back but I am nervous as hell with what happened before..I know u get an initial shed but this seemed abnormal..

viet nom nom

Established Member
Reaction score
Another 1-post generic hater. If you are in the US the law is geneics need to be indistinguishable from brand name. I've been on Dr Reddy for 5 months and have experienced no further loss of hair. While I cannot report significant gains, it is visibly clear that the hair I have is growing stronger than before.

Don't listen to this garbage.

holyhead

Reaction score
Dude what proof u need..Only reason I registered here was it kinda scared me when it happened..There is a difference in generic and original..U need to do a little research..Woman derm even told me that herself..It only has to be within a certain limit of the brand name..And the fillers are different. And it varies with different drugs and where they are made..Some generics are better than others..Also she said some generics don't work from some people..One cholestrol drug she mentioned some people could not use the drug at all and had no choice but to use brand name which was very expensive as well..I am telling u I lost a boat load of hair on it..She ask me if I noticed hair stopping up drain or anything like that in the shower..I said no..But after 5 weeks on this stuff it was covering the drain over and backing up the water..I would have to clean it off each time after showing so the water would drain next time..Whatever the case may be I don't want anymore generic from india or Dr Rheddy, Hetero etc...U can search it yourself..If this (Merck) does the samething then I will report that back here..

gnate12

Reaction score
I think sheds are normal for all brands of finasteride. Sheds are part of the normal cycle. You really need to be on finasteride for an entire year to see the difference.

gjman

Reaction score
Just signed on to see if anyone had similar issues with the generics and i see quite a few. Was using brand name propecia for six or seven years with good success but with price continually rising decided to try generic from Dr. Reddy's from target about 2 yrs ago. After a month or two started getting some scalp itching and tingling and some shedding so went back to propecia. Paid 130.00 for one month recently so decided to try generic again. This time from Walmart and whatever manufacturer they use. About six weeks in now and getting same reaction as before with some itching and some shedding. It's said generics have same main ingredient but maybe different fillers or method of delivery. Was wondering if anyone had gotten any professional opinions on whether switching to generics can cause some of the shedding similar to when starting on propecia or finasteride for the first time or is this reaction a sign it may not be working.

holyhead

Reaction score
Thats what it took..About six weeks for me also and I had never taken anything else before in terms of hair loss meds..Right now I am about 2weeks in on this Propecia and tell no difference..My dong isn't dead, I don't feel suicidal or crazy..So far I seen this drug blamed for everything from the itch to aids..I couldn't even tell I was taking the generic other than my hair was falling out and getting thinner..To be honest if I could go back I wouldn't have taken anything..Just left it alone..As I said it wasn't bad..My hair was so thick all around my entire head just thinner at the crown with it slightly progessing..Now my hair has a lot less density in the front and top..Had the that is there feels smaller and thinner and kinda limp or wispy...Like this stuff cooks or fries your hair..And when you stop about 3 months later it will take another big hit when levels go back to normal you will shed a boot load of hair again..If this don't work this time just gonna do a buzz cut and forget it.

-jp-

Reaction score
Another guy here that generics have been horrible for. Massive sheds. Was on Merck 10 years awesome success. Damn price keeps increasing though crazy so am attempting generics again. Costco Actavis 90 day for $25. If it does not work will be going back to Merck despite the cost.

Dr Reddy and another generic from walmart really dug into what I had maintained for 10 years on Merck. Shame.