Does ejaculating release more DHT into the bloodstream?

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
Vigaku said:
Note: This is not meant to be a "link between sex drive and hair loss" thread. Rather it's exactly what it is in the thread title.

What difference does it make? All sorts of physical activity can probably cause short-term fluctuations in DHT. Of course it's going to turn into a "link between sex drive and hair loss" thread.

:smack:

Also lol'd about Egyptian guys reportedly refraining from :jackit: until they get married in their late 20's... :whistle:

cristi2011

Established Member
Reaction score
Rabid said:
Also lol'd about Egyptian guys reportedly refraining from :jackit: until they get married in their late 20's... :whistle:

You think it's not possible??
It depends on the culture. Maybe their culture succeeds in making them believe it's a really bad thing. Maybe they have no p**rn, their women are over-dressed, etc. so it's easy for them :)

Nando

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested in reviving this topic because it raises some interesting questions.

Firstly, as OP said - does ejaculation cause more DHT in the bloodstream?

Well after reading through how to end hair loss on https://stophairloss.io/ it shows the cause is indeed excessive DHT - but this is first converted from testosterone through Oxytocin. And here the link: oxytocin is released into bloodstream after ejaculation (to comprehend this process look at the illustrative diagram towards bottom of the above page).

So it seems that there is indeed a direct relationship between male pattern baldness and ejaculation. And yes - ejaculating does indirectly release more DHT into the bloodstream.

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ejaculation gives you a very minor increase in DHT, 10 percent, which may not be sustained, and may not take place in the skin.

If you guys want to worry then do so.

I do suspect that lifestyle can accelerate or decelerate hair loss, but it's not an area that is properly researched, so good luck getting results.

Dante92

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ejaculation gives you a very minor increase in DHT, 10 percent, which may not be sustained, and may not take place in the skin.

If you guys want to worry then do so.

I do suspect that lifestyle can accelerate or decelerate hair loss, but it's not an area that is properly researched, so good luck getting results.

Exhaustive and accurate answer, as always. David.

Nando

My Regimen
Reaction score
In a new book about hair loss ("Why Do Men Lose Their Hair? - The Evolutionary Explanation") a separate chapter looks into the possible role of sex. The book does not conclude, but certainly does not rule out a possible link

Would you happen to have the Author of that book ? Seems interesting, but I wasn't able to find it

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok let me just be devil's advocate for a second here... Let's say ejaculation increases DHT by 1000%. Now, let's say you're on finasteride/dutasteride that blocks the conversion of most testosterone to DHT. Will you STILL get an increase in DHT? If so, by what percentage?

I'd also like to say that I hate these f*cking "fapping causes hair loss" topics. It doesn't.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok let me just be devil's advocate for a second here... Let's say ejaculation increases DHT by 1000%. Now, let's say you're on finasteride/dutasteride that blocks the conversion of most testosterone to DHT. Will you STILL get an increase in DHT? If so, by what percentage?

I'd also like to say that I hate these f*cking "fapping causes hair loss" topics. It doesn't.

The measured increase is 10 per cent.

Finasteride saturates the bloodstream so you wouldn't have a DHT increase unless there's a pathway not involving five alpha reductase.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yes, I think sex and maybe lifting weights causes a spike in free/total testosterone levels. That being said its not a major factor in male pattern baldness and its not really worth worrying about. Your going to meet your genetic destiny regardless

Nando

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I think sex and maybe lifting weights causes a spike in free/total testosterone levels

Interesting that you say this because many people get confused on this point.

Firstly, free testosterone (T) is not responsible for hair loss. It is DHT (free testosterone that has been converted by 5 alpha reductase) that is directly responsible for hair loss.

Secondly, this T --> DHT conversion is accelerated by Oxytocin.

Finally, considerable quantities of oxytocin are released into bloodstream at ejaculation.

Silber

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you happen to have the Author of that book ? Seems interesting, but I wasn't able to find it

Nando, if you search for the book on amazon, you will find it. Seems like my last user was banned from posting a link to the book, so I guess that's all I can say.

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
its the alpha 5 reductase which converts T > DHT , which in turn if u have high androgen sensitivity u will experience male pattern baldness.

Unless u saying the amount of alpha 5 reductase increases during ejaculation, then T- DHT will increase also

Or if the amount of apha 5 reductase remains the same, but somehow more of the T > DHT

finasterade works by inhibiting the alpha 5 reductase , am it right? it grows hair in some people because the androgen receptors have less DHT to deal with .

the only way to find out is to abstain from masturbation for a month or so.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is unnatural to masturbate that many times or even think of jerking off looking at digital content. At the end of the day we are biological beings that are meant to release our seed only for reproduction. Cannot "scientifically" comment on hair loss effects, but thinking of masturbation, is a sign that you do not value yourself in some way.

To start with, quit social media, p**rn, and try to be around real people more. Masturbating is an absolute waste of your energy in my view.

sytpg

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is unnatural to masturbate that many times or even think of jerking off looking at digital content. At the end of the day we are biological beings that are meant to release our seed only for reproduction. Cannot "scientifically" comment on hair loss effects, but thinking of masturbation, is a sign that you do not value yourself in some way.

To start with, quit social media, p**rn, and try to be around real people more. Masturbating is an absolute waste of your energy in my view.
unnaturally masturbating multiple times a day could be negative but the view that ''Masturbating is an absolute waste of your energy'' or ''we are biological beings that are meant to release our seed only for reproduction'' is retarded, most people need sex and masturbation for health

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The measured increase is 10 per cent.

Finasteride saturates the bloodstream so you wouldn't have a DHT increase unless there's a pathway not involving five alpha reductase.
Finasteride decreases dht. Masturbation is alleged to increase dht. First of all dht is converted from test. How would sex masturbation and ejaculation or workout increase dht? By increasing test? If these this increase test then there won't be any need for test hormone therapy .Those who claim they a tingling or itch after ejaculating. I do experience it sometimes but not always after ejaculating. But however I believe that increased sex drive is linked to increased hair loss. Which is why finasteride causes low libido.

Aqalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Internet has enabled p**rn to be more accessible than ever before, and strangely it seems more and more are going bald at a younger age.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Internet has enabled p**rn to be more accessible than ever before, and strangely it seems more and more are going bald at a younger age.

Exactly.

Masturbation doesn't cause hairloss in people who don't have Androgenetic Alopecia.

Masturbation can however accelerate hairloss in people who do already have Androgenetic Alopecia PLUS are also more sensitive to DHT spikes than typical people who have Androgenetic Alopecia.
So even if it is a small spike of DHT, there are lots of people who have Androgenetic Alopecia that are also sensitive to such spikes which is the reason you will get a lot of people saying they do notice an acceleration of thinning hair/hair loss and itchy scalp.

If someone is on anti-androgens they almost never will notice this itch or accelerated thinning/hairloss post-Masturbation/ejaculation as anti-androgens will have suppressed DHT levels.

Although for many who aren't prepared to undergo the potential side effects of using anti-androgens, they are more likely to experience this if they have Androgenetic Alopecia + are sensitive to DHT spikes.

I have noticed that using vitamins like Zinc, DHA, GLA, I have been able to naturally mimic the beneficial effects of drug types anti-androgen - without the side effects associated with anti-androgens) and after ejaculation I did not notice any itching of the scalp or accelerated hair thinning/miniaturization.

(NOTE: when I was not on any drug anti-androgen I used to always feel my scalp itch followed by accelerated hair thinning/miniaturization - and I definitely know personally that ejaculation/maturation used to always negativity effect my hair)

Ejaculating/Masturbation causes a spike in prolactin which can cause hairloss.

You might have heard about the recent group buy SMI-6 which is meant to target the prolactin pathway, many people believe that prolactin is a very probable cause of hairloss)

You also won't get any/many high quality studies on the relationship between masturbation/ejaculating and hairloss because many people wouldn't want to subject themselves to such trials nor would there be much funding for it.

Last edited: