Does any man ever truly escape hair loss/ balding?

blondguy

Reaction score
As a kid I never thought I would ever be one of those people who goes bald, and I thought it was something that happened to a very small number of guys. Now I look around at my friends and it looks like everyone I know over 27 has some kind of hair loss. And noticible hair loss WILL lead to balding. (If it didn't I would be far less depressed for my own future!) So it seems like everyone is balding now, or I can see the start of it.

Does anyone know what percentage of men dont lose ANY hair? In their lives? Can some men have hair that has an extreme receeded hairline but have it not go any farther?

Or is this all just another curse of manhood?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
80% of men will be affected at some point in their lives, to some extent.

the other day I saw this guy who must have been around 60 and he had a full thick head of hair. I swear it was a Norwood 0, or minus 1! His hairline was so low it was practically at his eyebrows. He was fully grey, but that's a small price to pay for having a full head of hair

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
Two celebrities that come to mind that haven't had any signs of male pattern baldness: Jared Leto and Howard Stern.

I am also desperately trying to get my thick hair back. I am trying everything and experimenting with different combination. Three things I have figured out through all of this: 1)Get on Dutasteride not Finasteride. 2) Apply Minoxidil TWICE a day and liberally at night to damp hair 3) Be very careful about using any type of shampoo like Nizoral. Use it once a week at most. My hair max pills seem to be having some effect as well.

slipy

Reaction score
As a kid I never thought I would ever be one of those people who goes bald, and I thought it was something that happened to a very small number of guys. Now I look around at my friends and it looks like everyone I know over 27 has some kind of hair loss. And noticible hair loss WILL lead to balding. (If it didn't I would be far less depressed for my own future!) So it seems like everyone is balding now, or I can see the start of it.

Does anyone know what percentage of men dont lose ANY hair? In their lives? Can some men have hair that has an extreme receeded hairline but have it not go any farther?

Or is this all just another curse of manhood?

mature hair lines don't really count as proper balding, you are aware of that? the statistics say only 1 in 10 men will loose hair prematurely, it's not the curse of manhood, it's a curse for the inferior few.

- - - Updated - - -

the other day I saw this guy who must have been around 60 and he had a full thick head of hair. I swear it was a Norwood 0, or minus 1! His hairline was so low it was practically at his eyebrows. He was fully grey, but that's a small price to pay for having a full head of hair

i see those type of guys often. the good news is - most of them look like **** despite their hair. that's what being 60 does to you.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I personally consider men with mature hairlines as balding it just looks like they have lost hair. Any guy that is not Norwood 0 with teenage hair line in my mind is going bald and I think majority of people view it that way even if some guys/doctors say a Norwood 2 is mature hair line and not balding which maybe it isnt. It is what it is and that is looking like baldness and maybe more to come since at the very least your hair is sensitive to androgens to have lost that hair.
If we had any better treatments that could stop mature hair lines safely I definitely know I would. I dont want one and think it looks like your going bald.

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
^I disagree, people's hairlines without male pattern baldness vary. Ewan Mcgregor's a strong NW2 yet he's a got a perfect head of hair that hasn't changed in 20 years. Then there's guys like Patrick Dempsey that are NW0. No male pattern baldness for either guys (although it's possible either could lose it but very unlikely).

Now there are guys who have such a mild form of male pattern baldness that there hair is indistinguishable from non-male pattern baldness guys until they get really old.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Two celebrities that come to mind that haven't had any signs of male pattern baldness: Jared Leto and Howard Stern.

I am also desperately trying to get my thick hair back. I am trying everything and experimenting with different combination. Three things I have figured out through all of this: 1)Get on Dutasteride not Finasteride. 2) Apply Minoxidil TWICE a day and liberally at night to damp hair 3) Be very careful about using any type of shampoo like Nizoral. Use it once a week at most. My hair max pills seem to be having some effect as well.

Dutasteride should only be used if finasteride doesn't work IMO. Even then, you should think very carefully about whether it's worth it. The possibility of side effects are far greater with dutasteride

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score

Why do you say that about Nizoral? I used it for a few months and my hair has only got worse and generally thinner! do you think this is due to the nizoral?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Now there are guys who have such a mild form of male pattern baldness that there hair is indistinguishable from non-male pattern baldness guys until they get really old.
True; the truth is that many people's male pattern baldness is pretty slow in progress, even without treatment. My dad, for example is 60 and has been a Nw3 for about 20 years, with only his vertex starting to thin now.

I hope that us relatively young folk will be in the position where we can permanently 'outrun' male pattern baldness, but that does solely depend on the progress and availability of new treatments in the future...

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah a lot of people say with propecia its possible right now to prevent male pattern baldness and I disagree on that we need better ways to just keep hair. Stopping male pattern baldness is still not possible if your 20 and want to keep your hair for the next 30 years I dont see propecia doing that.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly! finasteride only works decently for around 5 years, and there's the internal effects on hormones and the liver to consider. We really really need something like CB-03-01 or topical PGD2 blockers to reach the market before the end of the decade, which admittedly is far from certain. :(

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
where did you hear that finasteride only workd for 5 years? that's how long the trial was but it doesn't mean it won't be effective for longer

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read it a lot on hair loss forums. Might just be another hair loss forum myth though. I know that finasteride doesn't work forever and we need safer long-term preventative treatments, that's the main thing.

(I really hope the 5 year limit of finasteride working well before it starts to conk out is a myth, BTW. Someone please post evidence to counter the 'myth' if you have any!)

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
the 'dangers' of finasteride have been greatly overstated. It's not a miracle cure maybe, but it's better than anything else out there at the moment.

I've read about some people being on it for longer than 5 years and still holding their hair

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
True, there's some users here who've been on finasteride longer, but many report the effectiveness of the drug running out, and sometimes having to add (or switch to) dutasteride to keep the hairloss at bay. :(

Cassin

Reaction score

Stern wears a wig.

beaner

Reaction score
Stern wears a wig.

I have to disagree with that. :) Stern has had the same hair since he was a teenager and never had any signs of balding.

Why do you think he wears a wig?

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do you say that about Nizoral? I used it for a few months and my hair has only got worse and generally thinner! do you think this is due to the nizoral?

Yes, yes, yes!! I am almost sure that Nizoral is causing your problems. Stop using Nizoral for the next four months and you will be shocked by how thick your hair will be. I don't know you, but it is a strong hunch I have.