Documenting My Treatment For The Next Year.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I was going to say I was new to the forum but apparently I've had an account for years, haha.
Last message was on 2014.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself and what I want to do here.

First of all, my story with hairloss began when I was around 17 years old, by accident. I randomly stumbled on a hairloss forum and started reading. Back then I had an awesome head of hair,very thick NW1. After reading I went to see myself in the mirror just to gloat about my perfect hairline. I was horrified to see a slight (I cant stress this enough, nobody could see it but me.) recession on my right temple. I also had the male pattern baldness itch everyone was talking about. After that I was obsessed.
I went to a dermatologist that almost kicked me out of her office, since I was desperate and she couldnt see anything, hahah.
So after that I went to another. Under no circumstances she would give me any treatment, except for some zinc pills so I would stop bothering her.
So I took those pills and the years passed. My right temple recession got worse, but Im very lucky to have a very very VERY slow kind of male pattern baldness. For years the only problem was the right temple.
Around 24 years old I went to another dermatologist. This time she confirmed a diffuse male pattern baldness and told me to get some propecia.

Funny enough, this only got me in denial about it. I wasnt balding no matter what she said. Apparently I liked going to dermatologists for them to confirm I wasnt balding until one of them told me I was.

All those years I got through the same thing everyone has, I guess. I became obsessed with my hair, how it fell (some times I would run my hand through my hair compulsively, pulling hair out of my temples, until hair stopped falling and I could stop running my had through my hair, if that makes any sense.), I looked my self in every window, mirror, reflective surface I was near. I had trouble going out on the street, I was somewhat depressed, and all that.

How I felt the condition of my hair was, coincided with other circumstances in my life. When life was good, my hair was good, when it wasnt, my hair was terrible.

Anyway, It came to a point when I was 26/27 years old, that I got into the first real treatment, minoxidil twice a day.
I refused to get propecia for fear of the side effects. If I have to be honest I dont know what minoxidil did or didnt do. I didnt document it with pictures or anything. Dont remember shedding, or anything weird. In any case, I've had sheddings all my life, in and out of treatment, so I didnt pay attention. I always clog the shower and leave hairs on my pillow anyway.
I've been completly constant with minoxidil until today. In years I've never missed a dose. Maybe I got sloppy with the hour, but every day I've had put it on my temples twice a day.

At around 30 I started noticing the quality of my hair declining. Now my left temple (the one that always saved me to go outside) started to go. Also, to my horror, the middle part of the front of my hair started to be thinner and see through under the right lights. If I grab a bunch of hair, I can feel a lot less hair on the front of my hair than my back.
Adding to that, the hair in the front grows slower and weirder (as if it was broken) than my back, making it impossible to comb. I normally have longish hair parted down the middle. Now I cant do that anymore because the hair in the front doesnt "fall" anymore, if that makes sense. Its as if it lacks weight. So, more and more I've started to cut it shorter because its easier to style. I now normally go for a combed back hair with gel, which I think looks okay.
Lucky for me I have no problems on the crown so far. But I've been in denial for too long. So 3 days ago I've added Propecia for the first time to my regime and Keto shampoo. I've used Keto shampoo before but I wasnt constant with it. I does get rid of the male pattern baldness itch every time I use it, and my scalp feels awesome, so what the hell, right?

Right now Im 31. I still have a decent enough head of hair, except maybe for my temples. I think Im a NW2 or 3 right now, not sure. I dont mind too much because Im not in my 20s anymore and I dont think a NW2 guy in his 30s looks that bad.

I've started this thread to document my treatment so everyone can have a detailed account for reference. Im going to take pics every week, and tell you If I regrow, if I maintain, If I get worse or get side effects and what not. My success or my failure. I want to be constant doing this, as if it was part of my treatment. I think its going to be helpful for people who are not sure about hopping on a treatment as I was.

Okay, on with the pictures.

First pic: My hair at 17 years old (for reference).

Reference.jpg

Second pic: My hair today (31 years old). As you see I went from a NW1 to a NW2 (or 3? idk) in around 14 years.

IMG_20190313_223842127.jpg

Third pic: Left temple.

IMG_20190313_223855144.jpg

Fourth pic: Right temple.

IMG_20190313_223906833.jpg

Last two pictures are with my hair combed back so you can't tell how bad it actually is. Now Ill post some unflattering ones.

Fifth pic: Right temple.

IMG_20190313_223947444.jpg

Sixth pic: Left temple.

IMG_20190313_224011709.jpg

As you see its very see through. Its not that I dont have hairs there, I do. But they grow badly, and short, and theres less of it. To show my actual hairline I combed it backwards as you can see on the next pics.

Seveth, Eighth and Ninth pic: hairline with my hair pulled back.
IMG_20190313_224241240.jpg

IMG_20190313_224246287.jpg

IMG_20190313_224248590.jpg

Nothing too terrible, just not what it was before.

Tenth, Eleventh pic: Same as before but I added more lights.

IMG_20190313_224332303.jpg

IMG_20190313_224351581.jpg

So I'd say this is my baseline. Today is my third day with the big 3. I've been using minoxidil for 4/5 years though.

Regime:

Propecia: 1mg a day.
minoxidil: twice a day, on my hairline.
Keto shampoo: Everyother day. I shampoo with normal shampoo first, then massage keto shampoo on my scalp, and leave it for 10 mins.

So far, obviously, no sides. I dont think I have minoxidil shedding just for adding propecia, but who knows. Only thing I can say is today I didnt have morning wood like I normally do, but I think thats just a coincidence.
A positive side to this is that now that Im actually doing something, I feel good about it and today I thought my hair looked awesome, and didnt obsess over it, hehe.

So this is it for now. In 3 mins I have to take my forth propecia pill, shower with the keto shampoo and use minoxidil for the second time today.

Next week Ill update. Maybe its worthless to update so often, but at least I can document sides if I have any. But Im staying positive and I decided I wont have any sides, haha.

Anyway, see you next week!

Mini-Edit:

I know this will be somewhat disgusting, but I've noticed everyone is concerned about the ammount of shedding during treatment. So for the sake of completeness:

IMG_20190314_244940636.jpg

I just showered, and thats what I fished from the drain plus what I lost while combing my hair. Im very used to fish my hair out of the shower after every shower because if I dont do it, it clogs the drain.
Well see next week if I shed more or less, but to be very clear that ammount is completely normal for me (or even less than normal, sometimes I shed more than that while showering). So nothing to be concerned about so far.

Bye!

Last edited:

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair still looks great, if I was you i'd give finasteride alone with Keto shampoo for a year before you become a slave of adding lotion to your head twice a day for the rest of you life.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair still looks great, if I was you i'd give finasteride alone with Keto shampoo for a year before you become a slave of adding lotion to your head twice a day for the rest of you life.

Hey man. Thanks! It means a lot to me when someone says my hair looks good.

About minoxidil, unfortunately Im not just starting to use it today, minoxidil was the first thing I used, for about 4/5 years. For my regime Im just continuing to use it. Im not sure if I can leave it now, after so many years. It might be the reason I still have hair, for all I know, haha.
In any case, I dont find minoxidil annoying to use at all. I just massage my temples with it for a bit and 5 mins after it dries out (its a version with alcohol). No problem with that. I have my doubts about the alcohol content messing my hairline up, because thats where I apply it, but it probably didnt.
The real annoyance for me is the keto shampoo, I dont feel like being in the shower for 20 mins, but oh well. It really does make my scalp feel good and clean and takes the itch out.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair really does look good for your age considering you are only starting finasteride now. Wish I had that type of slow hairloss.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair really does look good for your age considering you are only starting finasteride now. Wish I had that type of slow hairloss.

Thanks! I wish I felt the same about It, but to me It looks like I have the hair of a 40 year old while being 31. Grey hairs dont help either, haha.

Last edited:

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! I wish I felt the same about It, but to me It looks like I have the hair of a 40 year old while being 31. Grey hairs dont help either, haha.
My hair line looks identical to yours. Although I'm 52, it has looked the same for about 25 years. The only difference is that my crown started thinning about 5 years ago. Keep an eye on that.
I doubt that you will recede much more in the front. You still have good density, but keep watching that dreaded crown.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair line looks identical to yours. Although I'm 52, it has looked the same for about 25 years. The only difference is that my crown started thinning about 5 years ago. Keep an eye on that.
I doubt that you will recede much more in the front. You still have good density, but keep watching that dreaded crown.
Will do!
I started serious treatment because I think my temples took a hit last year, I dont remember them being this receded the year before.

Should I be doing anything else for my crown? Like putting minoxidil on it? I have no problems with my crown at all right now, its completely covered.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Try just for men shampoo. It slowly dyes the hair per wash, works well and let's you ease off when you get the color your happy with.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try just for men shampoo. It slowly dyes the hair per wash, works well and let's you ease off when you get the color your happy with.

This is cool, I didnt know about it. Does it really work? How long do you have to use it?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will do!
I started serious treatment because I think my temples took a hit last year, I dont remember them being this receded the year before.

Should I be doing anything else for my crown? Like putting minoxidil on it? I have no problems with my crown at all right now, its completely covered.
Yah if it's good leave it alone. If one day it starts thinning, get on minoxidil and derma rolling or stamping. Mine is filling in nicely on minoxidil with topical finasteride. And needling.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
This is cool, I didnt know about it. Does it really work? How long do you have to use it?
It says to use it daily. I used it 3x a week and left it in for 3-5 minutes. It's basically dye so if you stop using it, it slowly comes out.

It's pretty cheap, works like shampoo. After you get the color you want, ease up cuz it turns your hair too black if you continue using it regularly.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yah if it's good leave it alone. If one day it starts thinning, get on minoxidil and derma rolling or stamping. Mine is filling in nicely on minoxidil with topical finasteride. And needling.

Cool, Ill keep an eye on it. Glad is working out well for you!

It says to use it daily. I used it 3x a week and left it in for 3-5 minutes. It's basically dye so if you stop using it, it slowly comes out.

It's pretty cheap, works like shampoo. After you get the color you want, ease up cuz it turns your hair too black if you continue using it regularly.

Great, thanks for the info. I found a place that sells it here, Ill give it a try. My gf likes my gray hair so she might complain though, I have to check with her, hahah.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay guys, time for an update.
Im trying to update this weekly since people reported sides cause by propecia as soon as the third day, so I thought it would come in handy to tell you what Im experiencing.

I've completed a full week (actually 10 days) with the treatment: 1mg propecia a day, minoxidil twice a day (been doing this for 4-5 years), keto shampoo every other day.

This are the pictures for this week:

IMG_20190320_233714375.jpg
IMG_20190320_233719845.jpg
IMG_20190320_233723267.jpg

As you can see theres not much change, for the better or worse, which comes as no surprise since it's only been a week of treatment.
A positive side I can report is that I shed a lot less hair than the week before, as you can see on the next picture.
IMG_20190320_235027480.jpg

Thats all the hair I fished from the shower drain plus what I lost from combing. This is a big change from last week, you can compare it with the picture in my first post.
Could it be because of the treatment? Who knows, probably just a nice coincidence.

About sides:
Besides being in really good spirits about this whole thing (I actually can't wait to take my propecia pill every day, I feel like Im healing my hair doing it), which is a very good thing on itself because I think being positive can contribute a lot, I don't really have important sides to report. No brain fog or anything weird, no crazy shed (in fact Im shedding less as you can see), no watery semen, at least that I can tell.
I did have very mild ball pain some days, but I dont necessarily attribute it to propecia. It went away as quickly as it came.
Also I do have a somewhat decreased libido. It's not really a problem to me, I just don't get horny as often. Some days during this week I didnt wake up with morning wood which I did almost every morning before starting. Again, this is not really a problem. I had sex with my gf normally several times, my erections are normal in size and hardness and they stay that way as long as I need. And I can achieve them as easily as before.

Besides that I have nothing else to report.
See you next week!

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! It's wednesday, so time for an update.

I'm at the start of my third week of treatment, which consists of 1mg a day of propecia, minoxidil twice a day and keto shampoo every other day.

Of course, since I added propecia just some days ago, theres no change (except that I got a haircut), but I'll start with the pictures.

IMG_20190327_235325173.jpg

This is how my hair looks now, I was honestly a bit worried about shorter hair showing too much skin on my hairline but I think it looks decent. Its a bit thin and not a fortress of hair, but I really dont mind it that much, I'd honestly be happy if I could maintain it like this. But of course, I'd be happier if I could improve it, haha.

Here's another picture with my head angled towards the light.

IMG_20190327_235307075.jpg

Keep in mind I have all the ceiling lights and the mirror light shining directly on my hairline. With natural lights I dont get that shitty thinness on my hairline, and I'd say it looks normal, as in no diffuse hair loss, just a full Norwood 2 or 3 kind of thing. Again, I'd start dancing naked if I can improve it, but if it stays like that is not the end of the world.

The next pictures are with my hair pulled bad. You can see the recession there, which is the same as the first two updates.

IMG_20190327_235031015.jpg

IMG_20190327_235036441.jpg

IMG_20190327_235042537.jpg

And this is a close up on my hairline:

IMG_20190327_235142753.jpg

IMG_20190327_235159033.jpg

Maybe with patience and sticking to the treatment I can wake those little hairs on my hairline up. Would be nice.

This is what I just shed in the shower and on my comb.

IMG_20190328_241745463.jpg

This is the only thing I can honestly say changed since starting the treatment. Im shedding a lot less hair, which is nice. Also, no more annoying itchiness. I think this is what a normal person would shed in the shower, you can compare this picture with my first set of pictures and see the difference. It probably seems less because my hair is shorter though.

Sides: No sides to report, I feel very normal, even in good spirits because Im getting treated. First two days of treatment my libido went down a bit, but it was probably a coincidence because everything is back to normal now. I never had weak erections watery semen crazy sheds or brain fog so far, lets hope it stays like that.

I would suggest people who are on undecided of adding propecia to just bite the bullet and do it. I dont mean you cant get sides, because you obviously can and theres a lot of testimonies of that. Maybe down the road Ill have some and have to stop taking it, who knows, but so far I feel completly normal. So If you are still on denial, it's better to not waste time. It really just feels like taking a vitamin once a day, nothing too terrible. You probably have friends who dont take propecia but take other medication for other stuff, so same thing. Nothing to be ashamed of.

By the way, Im thinking of lowering my keto shampoo use. Im using it every other day (so, 4 times the first week and 3 times the second). But even if it leaves my scalp feeling nice and itchless it also leave hair and skin pretty dry. Maybe thats not too good in the long run. What do you guys think?

See you next week!

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys. Could anyone help me with my question about keto shampoo? It worries me that itll fry my hair and face skin in the long run.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
What % of Keto are you using? I heard people say it dries out their hair, not mine. I only use it 2x a week tho. If its giving you negative effects, just drop it. Keto Shampoo shouldn't be the big 3. IMO it should be Microneedling, finasteride and Rogain.

Your hair still looks good, but to get results you need to AT least be on it for 6 months. IMO, just do the routine and compare photos after 3-6 months, give it AT least a year.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What % of Keto are you using? I heard people say it dries out their hair, not mine. I only use it 2x a week tho. If its giving you negative effects, just drop it. Keto Shampoo shouldn't be the big 3. IMO it should be Microneedling, finasteride and Rogain.

Your hair still looks good, but to get results you need to AT least be on it for 6 months. IMO, just do the routine and compare photos after 3-6 months, give it AT least a year.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see this answer before. Im using 2%. Its not that its giving me negative effects, but I do feel it leave my hair very dry and some times my scalp feels "hot". Im using it 3 or 4 times a week, maybe I should ease up on it after completing the month.

Also, Im thinking of adding microneedling, but Im not sure how to do it or how to esterilize the thing or what to use or pretty much anything about it. I need a comprehensive guide. Do you do it?

About the time of treatment, I am planing to do it for at least a year, like you say. Im documenting it every week more for the side effects (which some people say started for them very early on, like a few dates into treatment) than the cosmetic results. After a month or two Im going to start taking monthly comparison pics rather than weekly.

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright guys, new wednesday, new update.

I'm starting week 4 of my regime: 1 mg propecia, minoxidil twice a day, keto shampoo every other day. These are the pics for this week:

IMG_20190404_244308601.jpg

IMG_20190404_244312337.jpg

IMG_20190404_244315762_TOP.jpg

I'd say they are about the same. If I was forced to say something, maybe my right temple is a little worse, but its more likely that I just pulled back my hair stronger than in the last set, so it shows the hairline more.

This is the shed after last shower and combing.
IMG_20190404_245611034.jpg

Pretty much the same as last week, I think this is a normal shed.

Sides: None. Libido is back to normal (it was a tiny bit lower the first 2 or 3 days of treatment). No erection problems at all, no weird watery semen, no ball pain, no nothing.
The only events worth noting this week is that I had a little bit of acne (I usually dont have any acne at all) and I felt had shedding while applying minoxidil on my scalp. When I massaged the scalp to distribute the minoxidil, my wet fingers would get some hairs glued to them (about 10 total). More than normal I'd say. But If I compare the shed in the last picture is more or less the same as last week, so Im not really worried.

Oh, one last thing. I have to buy a new box of propecia, but the problem is my farmacy has no stock of propecia this week, so they are offering me a generic. They say its the same thing. I hope it's no problem if I use that. It'll have to do.

Any of you had problems using generic finasteride?

See you next week!

lalala88

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys, how are you doing? It's wednesday so time for an update.

Today marks exactly the one month since i've started my treatment, or at least the first month I added propecia to my treatment, heh.
Im still taking 1 mg propecia a day (actually, I had to buy another brand today it's called Capilfor, my farmacy was out of stock of propecia, I hope I dont get any issue for changing brands), minoxidil twice a day, keto shampoo every other day.

So, I'm feeling pretty good about my hair. In fact I've been happy with it all week. I think I'm rocking this diffused NW2 look:

IMG_20190411_010618095_TOP.jpg

This is late at night and my hair was kind of dirty, I was about to shower. But I think it looks pretty decent. If I can keep it like this or even progress Ill be very happy. Also, I've been getting a cosmetic effect or something, maybe is minoxidil acting like some kind of gel or the keto shampoo or whatever, but my hair is feeling a lot thicker lately. Maybe Im imagining things, but if it helps me staying positive, Ill take it. I think it's important to be positive in these situations.

Anyway, next pictures so I can compare with the earlier sets:

IMG_20190411_010700957_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190411_010704230_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190411_010708068.jpg

Pretty much no changes. Thats to be expected though, it's very early into the treatment.

Also shower+combing shed is about the same too. It stayed stable and low, which is a good thing.

IMG_20190411_013600799.jpg

Sides: Still none. Feeling good and positive. I think my hair looks nicer than before which is awesome. And feels thicker, even if Im imagining it.

Anyway, see you next week!