Do you want to have kids?

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not to sound too unempathetic but it feels like some of you need to get over yourselves. Being bald is not cancer, it's not AIDS, etc. If your sole purpose in life is hair, then fine, life isn't worth living with the "baldness gene", but in that case I'm astonished at how little you guys value life. The ability to make a difference to the world, become successful and excel in a given field is what makes my life worth it and what hopefully would make my son's life worth (if I ever have one).
And yes, I know balding sucks. But come on.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
No you've already written this and wasted both our time writing it out again.

Re-read what you just quoted from me, I'm trying to keep this as specific as possible to stop your wandering mind, you have yet to explain how it's in any way reasonable to expect a guy not to have children because of the chance that they might be bald. You are basically saying bald guys indefinitely live a ****ty existence to the point we shouldn't exist, despite the fact that besides this awful aesthetic hindrance we can live and appreciate a normal life, or even prosper in many ways.

If you want to talk about severe birth defects that limit a human to a vegetative state where a human is completely debilitated beyond reasonable thoughts and feelings, that's a whole different discussion, and not one I ever engaged in. For some reason you keep taking it upon yourself to decide that this was the point I was making.

Finally I can accept something you've said, you have a point that I took a statement you made within a certain constraint of conversation and I blew it up into more general terms. Really all I was doing was exposing how much of an arrogant douche you are, I mean who the **** writes "Make any point I'll rebut it!!!1" and now you've backed up the arrogant douche aspect with this awful chess "your move!" gif. To me that just proves you have no intent on actually getting anywhere, you just want to "win" and not back down, and in other threads I've already seen you are literally just writing anything to make the last post.

To you this is for an audience, and that's really pathetic.

So in this thread youll sit and tout about how being bald has no effect on your life and is no hindrance to you but in another thread you explain how afwul it is and how your family feels your pain and refrains from pointing out your baldness to you..... interesting. Are you two people sharing one account?

I think had I not made it very clear at the very start that hair loss deeply worries me, a lot of people including my family would mock me more about it. It's a no-go area.

Im not going to back down because its my opinion. I dont also expect to "get anywhere" because you have your opinion, even though it appears to change per thread you are in (waffling?) And if Im writing "anything to make the last" post then why is it you keep responding. To me this is just fun, you seem to be the one who is trying to accomplish something.

I already got your point, yes it sucks to be born with a crazy *** deformity or disease which Ill agree with, but that like saying "you could be born in a 3rd world country" or any number of other scenarios. You could be born without feet. Things could always be worse. You think you are the first person to EVER bring up that point on this forum?

But if you want to keep repeating nonsense and endless possibilities you "could be born with" go for it.

and you being so bothered by me rebutting your points just makes you sound like a spoiled little brat who doesnt like being wrong. Or maybe you think youre smarter than you are. Im not sure.

edit:
What the hell do you even mean by "get anywhere". Where do you think is is going? Do you think you are going to change my POV? Thats pretty arrogant if you ask me.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's ALWAYS the people with the most minimal hair loss (if any at all) that say things like "it's not AIDS or cancer" or "get over yourselves". They've never experienced first hand what it's like to be truly bald so they'll never understand.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
say things like "it's not AIDS or cancer"

I'm not bald (yet) but I can be fairly sure I don't think I'll ever be like "damn, I wish I had AIDs or cancer instead of male pattern baldness".

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Each has its advantages, with cancer/HIV you're still treated normally but you don't have your health.

With male pattern baldness, you will be treated like sh*t by society and women, but at least you'll have your health.

You are actually highly discriminated in the states with HIV.
To me cancer is something that is random where HIV is usually from some sort of behavior that put you there, mainly drug use today. Even sexual transmission in developed countries has diminished. I dont think many people with HIV get the same sympathy as people with cancer.
Either way hopefully were close to a cure for it

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fred, let me be the first to tell you that if you're unsuccessful with male pattern baldness, you would be with a NW1. If you genuinely think that male pattern baldness causes society, or some sort of illuminati to treat you differently and inhumanly then I seriously suggest seeing a therapist. Not even going to bother naming all of the successful people who contributed to humanity without hair on their head, unless you seriously can't think of any then ask me and I'll give you a few hints.

I get it, women don't find bald people as attractive, absolutely. But success, and the meaning of life, and the ability to contribute to humanity have absolutely nothing to do with male pattern baldness. It's very sad that forums like these are so much about people depressively bringing eachother down in a sort of "poor us, society hates us" sort of way. Kind of reminds me of extreme feminists in some western countries.

Edit: Please, go study at Oxbridge or Yale, work hard and tell me more about how nobody wants to hire you because a 22 year old female has hair.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fred, let me be the first to tell you that if you're unsuccessful with male pattern baldness, you would be with a NW1. If you genuinely think that male pattern baldness causes society, or some sort of illuminati to treat you differently and inhumanly then I seriously suggest seeing a therapist. Not even going to bother naming all of the successful people who contributed to humanity without hair on their head, unless you seriously can't think of any then ask me and I'll give you a few hints.

I get it, women don't find bald people as attractive, absolutely. But success, and the meaning of life, and the ability to contribute to humanity have absolutely nothing to do with male pattern baldness. It's very sad that forums like these are so much about people depressively bringing eachother down in a sort of "poor us, society hates us" sort of way. Kind of reminds me of extreme feminists in some western countries.

Edit: Please, go study at Oxbridge or Yale, work hard and tell me more about how nobody wants to hire you because a 22 year old female has hair.

We don't need anymore anecdotal evidence about successful bald men.
Until you YOURSELF has truly live a good few years as a bald man, your cliche anecdotes mean jack fuqking sheet.

Now..what Norwood are ya? And do you have a friendly head shape?

Its a game of averages. People seem to fail in recognizing this. Because one guy may have gotten lucky through some part of life and succeeded in getting all their hearts desires they think everyone can. Some guys fail to see that maybe they ARE a good looking guy with a shaved head or maybe 6'-3. Others may have had some kind of advantage socially or financially and fail to see it. People tend to disregard their perks in life and attribute EVERYTHING to hard work and intellect. I have a friend like this. We both own property and have degrees. His family gave him great financial help growing up, mine did not (could not etc etc). Hes a tad ahead of me because of this but he tends to think its all because he so smart and works so hard. He is smart and a VERY hard worker but in the end it was his family circumstances that gave him the boost. We all laugh because his truths tend to come out when he drinks but then he completely denies what he said when he sobers up.
Either way it like me looking at someone from Nigeria and saying "you didnt work hard enough". My American heritage had me established to already have an economic advantage in life.
Either way, the THREE uber successful bald guys were pretty much the lucky batch. There is always some lucky guys, those who were already groomed for success or maybe were so INHUMANLY SMART there was no way they could fail. Most men have an average intellect at best.
On average though most bald men will be seen in a negative light to the public, women and even hiring managers. Ill say aside our CEO and VP the ONLY Bald men who have been hired in the 7 years Ive been here were for the blue collar jobs. ALL the managerial positions such as finance, IT etc have been filled by men with decent hair. Coincidence.... maybe, but averages. This also applies to almost all jobs Ive held. Good looks can open TONS of doors, and its hard to have "good looks" with no hair.

blackg

Reaction score
Thanks swingline. You put that a lot better then I could.
BTW...my phone goes all retard mode when I quote and reply to another post. So...hope ya see this.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate it when people deny their obvious advantages. I know my height was a big advantage to overcome baldness, at least when it came to women.

My girlfriend has said she wouldn't have dated me if I was her height (1m67), it's a sad fact to acknowledge, but that's how its: height, looks, hair, in short appearances determine a lot in our lives.

Yes, I wish I had more hair, and I wish I was better-looking, and I wish I could build muscles easily, but you can't have everything in life. Just be aware that you're advantaged in some areas.

You swingline for example, you've been blessed with a large build and the ability to develop huge muscles. You should be thankful for that in my opinion.

I will never pretend I worked hard to be where I am. Most of the events that contributed to my success were just dumb luck.

You're right when you say looks open doors. I said recently during an interview that my main weakness was low confidence. The guy (who was the boss) replied:

"But you're tall, good-looking, speak many languages and have a master's degree, I don't understand." Notice what he cited first.

I turned down his offer because he wanted to hire me as an independent contractor, but you can see looks are more important than skills when it comes to getting a job.

Or maybe it's just in my field? It was for a job in a communication company and he said that I would have to meet people on a regular basis, so yeah, looking good is a big plus.

Women are the majority in workplaces and I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a good-looking IT guy.

My father said he had seen experiments on TV in the 1980's where more handsome people were hired with less qualifications over uglier people.

And guess what, most of the ugly men shown were bald. He just started to lose his hair at the time and it made him very afraid of the future.

Well my build is a lot of work, its not granted to me. And aside that Im not actually wanting to build more muscle. I have been trying to trim down as many of you know and Its near impossible for me. Ive changed my diet, and workout with barely any change. My body just builds on any activity and food. I would love to get back to being 180 lean. I mean cmon 5-8 and 200lbs is a bit odd. I mean Im not fat so its heavier muscle but still, its a PITA to find decent clothes lol.
I will always say my looks in the past were a GREAT advantage, but I also groomed them. I knew this. Women and employers were enticed with my appearance and I knew how to talk to use it.
When I started here before my hair loss was really bad all the women in the building liked the cute IT guy coming to their desk.
I mean you are supposed to eventually just build skills and grow into a field so you have experience but its still tough. I think for those who want the "american dream" of a wife and kids and little house its easier to make that transition because your family is supposed to just accept you as is. Family to me are just people thrust together who are supposed to be friendly.
For people who are good looking I think you have the luxury of moving around more to. If you dont build those skills or find your dream career first or second try you can keep moving elsewhere because people just want attractive personable people around. If you are odd looking then that ability gets lost a bit.
I do IT and while it leaves me a LOT of spare time (IE on here way to much out of my day) its slowly a realization that I honestly dont like it (great waste of college money). MY chances of starting over are dwindling fast.
for hiring people seem to refuse the idea that more often than only people WITH qualifications will be applying for a job. You are actually competing with other like qualified possibly better looking people for the same job.
The nay sayers here seem to act like we're saying a plumber/underwear model is walking into IBM and applying to be a programmer or mainframe admin and getting the job over some guy who worked in the field for 20 years.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its a game of averages. People seem to fail in recognizing this. Because one guy may have gotten lucky through some part of life and succeeded in getting all their hearts desires they think everyone can. Some guys fail to see that maybe they ARE a good looking guy with a shaved head or maybe 6'-3. Others may have had some kind of advantage socially or financially and fail to see it. People tend to disregard their perks in life and attribute EVERYTHING to hard work and intellect. I have a friend like this. We both own property and have degrees. His family gave him great financial help growing up, mine did not (could not etc etc). Hes a tad ahead of me because of this but he tends to think its all because he so smart and works so hard. He is smart and a VERY hard worker but in the end it was his family circumstances that gave him the boost. We all laugh because his truths tend to come out when he drinks but then he completely denies what he said when he sobers up.
Either way it like me looking at someone from Nigeria and saying "you didnt work hard enough". My American heritage had me established to already have an economic advantage in life.
Either way, the THREE uber successful bald guys were pretty much the lucky batch. There is always some lucky guys, those who were already groomed for success or maybe were so INHUMANLY SMART there was no way they could fail. Most men have an average intellect at best.
On average though most bald men will be seen in a negative light to the public, women and even hiring managers. Ill say aside our CEO and VP the ONLY Bald men who have been hired in the 7 years Ive been here were for the blue collar jobs. ALL the managerial positions such as finance, IT etc have been filled by men with decent hair. Coincidence.... maybe, but averages. This also applies to almost all jobs Ive held. Good looks can open TONS of doors, and its hard to have "good looks" with no hair.

giphy.gif

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
5c85rRD.jpg

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score

100 percent true

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And lol about the Oxbridge or Yale example, I would never get there in a million years, you need money to go there, you need to be born in a wealthy family.

True about buying your way into Yale, but my son does have two friends, both from middle-class families, who were accepted to Yale based on their grades and extracurricular activities alone. And Fred, don't sell yourself short--you are an intelligent guy, with a far better command of the English language than a great many kids graduating from U.S. high schools.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
It was a bit of both for me. No matter how hard I worked, I always plateaued at 13/20. I always thought I was barely smart enough to get a master's degree in humanities.

I've heard countless times what youngster said: "Just be super smart, work hard, get a degree in STEM!" As if everyone was capable of doing that.

I am a STEM person and I certainly think you are smart enough to get a STEM degree (of course I may be wrong). STEM is indeed hard, and for almost people involves quite a bit of hating yourself because you don't feel smart enough.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Among aforesaid circumstantial stumbling blocks, I would be remiss to quickly dismiss that there is argumentatively a personal influence or a kind of "manifest destiny" factor.

Agreed I.D WALKER.

Any influence of any sort will change the outcomes of anyone's life. Everyone has destinies that will be faced throughout the span of their lifetime. Perhaps if just a little bit of more people weren't so careless to dismiss such obviously important factors, it would make a drastic change by reducing the amount of disappointment one can go through in difficult situations.

If hair loss wasn't so quickly dismissed as something unimportant, I sincerely believe more people would take the time realize now negatively it affects those who suffer from the condition.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Then at university, I even had to redo a year because I failed a statistics exam. So no, I don't think I could ever get a stem degree.
Failing an exam means nothing.

Thanks for the compliment, but my grades in high school and even at university said otherwise. Every year I had to retake maths, chemistry or biology.
math, chemistry and biology are quite different. Being good/bad in one doesn't mean the same for the others. And you don't have to be good in all to be a STEM major.

Also, typically in STEM, efficiency comes in stages. Normally, you expect that if you put in 500 hours and get x amount of knowledge/gain; then putting in 1000 hours should get you 2x knowledge. In STEM the 2nd 500 hours gets you 10x.

I would be miserable all my life in a STEM field.
That is another matter.

For most people STEM involves pushing through the pain. Misery is part of the process.

PS: A smart man on work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXrwjLahUdw