Do you want to have kids?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Discerning is a describing word (adjective), not a doing word (verb), there's no such thing as discerning words, you can discern them. I hate to be a grammar nazi but the irony is just right there when you write about making nonsense.

"You can discern them".
You're using discern as a verb here.

"You can hit him".
"You can run to her".
"You can talk to him".

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe "discerning" is used as a verb here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discern

I didn't look it up at the time, but that's the only reference so far where I've seen it used like that. The same site is using the French word discerner without noting it's not English. I mean that site and others like Freedictionary are entries created by members, there's no hardback copy and no accountability.

If I'm wrong I hold my hands up.

Dont have to take pot shots at me, CUH. "cuh" just means cousin. Its endearment CUH

And i was using it ironically for lols, how cud u possibly tell i was doing it unironically? Lol

Anyways i made that post in response to swings darth vader post

I actually think you are winning this debate

Sorry, but I thought you were backing up the mindless post he wrote before that, and there's nothing more annoying than an internet forum "hype man" who just sticks with one guy without making a point, but now I see you weren't doing that.

And thanks but this has barely been a debate, any point I make is apparently some demand for justification of his character. But I did call him high once, that's really important.

CUH

"You can discern them".
You're using discern as a verb here.

Exactly, I said discern is a verb and discerning an adjective, so there is no discerning of words, you discern them.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Exactly, I said discern is a verb and discerning an adjective, so there is no discerning of words, you discern them.

"You can read the paper".
"You were reading the paper".
"He has trouble reading papers".

It's the same ing construct.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"You can read the paper".
"You were reading the paper".
"He has trouble reading papers".

It's the same ing construct.

I see what you mean but you're using a different word that applies for different reasons. Eg you can peruse a paper, you can look at a document at your perusal, you can't look at a paper at your perusaling, that's not a word.

Discerning and discern are un-related in their practicality.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
You could get a heart attack while perusing a paper.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Reference for perusing? Not freedictionary or any wikidictionary websites please, an actual hard-book dictionary which has to stand accountable for what it prints.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Reference for perusing? Not freedictionary or any wikidictionary websites please, an actual hard-book dictionary which has to stand accountable for what it prints.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/peruse
he has spent countless hours in libraries perusing art history books and catalogues

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/discern
Only those with dyslexia had difficulty discerning the beat in continuous sounds containing sudden rises and falls in loudness, as in such speech transitions as sweet.

A laugh, golden and delicious, floated up to him on the breeze and he leaned over the railing, peering down and faintly discerning the hedge wall of the royal garden beneath him.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
It takes a BIG man to admit that. Hats off to you then. (-:

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
How old are you h.i, and what is your native language?

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh but how easy it is to deceive- we were talking about the word discerning or discern and I just hi-jacked the argument (not on purpose) and now the original problem is gone.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't know how to use the word discerning. Discerning is a describing word (adjective), not a doing word (verb), there's no such thing as discerning words, you can discern them. I hate to be a grammar nazi but the irony is just right there when you write about making nonsense.

But anyway, you can't literally rebut ANY point, if you want to prove me wrong, rebut this: "The sky is sometimes blue". The only way you can rebut what is a reputed fact is by getting philosophical (but **** would I love to see your brain try that!) so when I say you make no sense, I at least explain why, when you say I make no sense, that's it. It's just a cheap meaningless pop that only a guy who uses the word "cuh" un-ironically would appreciate.

And you completely ignored my first post which exposes how much of a tool you are, you are happy to ask me to challenge you to a rebuttal and when I do give my point you then tell me you don't need to justify anything to me. There's another point you can't rebut, you'll probably just start whining again about how I called you high 10 pages back.
dis·cern·ing
dəˈsərniNG/
adjective
having or showing good judgment.

verb (used with object)1.to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; see,recognize, or apprehend:They discerned a sail on the horizon.

You have poor judgment on what people wrote. You are not perceptive.
You are a dummy
Read things.
Look definitions up if you need to

Here's a thesaurus link asd well
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/discerning

- - - Updated - - -

Oh but how easy it is to deceive- we were talking about the word discerning or discern and I just hi-jacked the argument (not on purpose) and now the original problem is gone.

Wow you are such a genius
Have you read many posts here?
They start with extreme posts about suicide then end 2.5 pages later discussing p**rn and cat memes.
You sitracted a thread full of posts by some of the most admittingly self involved ADHD ridden people on the web.
You are a manipulative genius, everyone watch out before he gets your pants off

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Innocent high, sex for grades, freshouttahighschool, bigsausagepizza, newsensations, interracialpickups, 8thstreetlatinas, cockrockingteens, momsbangteens, exxxtrasmall, mrpov

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
dis·cern·ing
dəˈsərniNG/
adjective
having or showing good judgment.

verb (used with object)1.to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; see,recognize, or apprehend:They discerned a sail on the horizon.

You have poor judgment on what people wrote. You are not perceptive.
You are a dummy
Read things.
Look definitions up if you need to

Here's a thesaurus link asd well
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/discerning

- - - Updated - - -

Wow you are such a genius
Have you read many posts here?
They start with extreme posts about suicide then end 2.5 pages later discussing p**rn and cat memes.
You sitracted a thread full of posts by some of the most admittingly self involved ADHD ridden people on the web.
You are a manipulative genius, everyone watch out before he gets your pants off

I absolutely knew you'd take the mess up over the discerning definition as a license to completely ignore the rest of what I wrote. I mean why do you even ****ing bother? I hold my hands up if I'm wrong and if I'm debating someone I intend to actually get somewhere, instead you're just constantly shifting away from any reasonable line of thought because, well I guess you know you can't win. That's the only reason I can think of.

As for thinking I'm a genius, I just admitted in my post you quoted that I accidentally changed the subject without meaning to, I wasn't attempting to deceive nor did I claim afterwards that I intentionally done so, I was just acknowledging it was odd how things took such a turn.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I absolutely knew you'd take the mess up over the discerning definition as a license to completely ignore the rest of what I wrote. I mean why do you even ****ing bother? I hold my hands up if I'm wrong and if I'm debating someone I intend to actually get somewhere, instead you're just constantly shifting away from any reasonable line of thought because, well I guess you know you can't win. That's the only reason I can think of.

As for thinking I'm a genius, I just admitted in my post you quoted that I accidentally changed the subject without meaning to, I wasn't attempting to deceive nor did I claim afterwards that I intentionally done so, I was just acknowledging it was odd how things took such a turn.

There is nothing else to debate, either you were unclear in the point you were making or I missed it then its my fault, but your rambling makes it a bit hard.
Make a point in about a sentence or two and Ill come back to the best of my ability, maybe we can clear it up then.
And honestly you were the one who decided to go grammar nazi because you have NO OTHER options (and you were obviously wrong about), not me.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
1st point: You said it's understandable that parents shouldn't have kids because their children could possibly be bald, and in the last dozen pages or so you've yet to back that up.
2nd point: You are claiming to be able to rebut any point I could possibly make, and when I do make a point you turn into the defensive "I don't need to justify anything to you!!" argument.
Bonus point: There's no such thing as being able to rebut any point, such as "The sky is sometimes blue".

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
1st point: You said it's understandable that parents shouldn't have kids because their children could possibly be bald, and in the last dozen pages or so you've yet to back that up.
2nd point: You are claiming to be able to rebut any point I could possibly make, and when I do make a point you turn into the defensive "I don't need to justify anything to you!!" argument.
Bonus point: There's no such thing as being able to rebut any point, such as "The sky is sometimes blue".

Thank you for re clarifying what we were talking about, and Im actually being sincere not sarcastic at this point so I will keep this as brief and as clear as possible.

1) Yes I believe having children is a right and NOT a privilege as most would like to enforce in the minds of others. There are many things to take into consideration from finances to physical health that people should really think about. I "personally" also think that people should take physical appearance into account as well. I realize there will always be that small percentile of offbeats and unexpected outcomes but overall if people really thought they SHOULD have kids they'd realize they should not.
The world is way overpopulated as it is and (speaking generally about the US as I dont know what its like there) we breed completely on quantity here instead of quality.
I also take myself and own siblings into considerations here. There are many aspect or our own genes that should not have been seeded. This is why my brother and I will never have kids. Our family is riddled with health and mental issues.
I am also a proponent of forced sterilization and can slightly even be leaned towards certain forms of eugenics.

2) Again I dont know what you are actually "trying" to say..... It would be the OBVIOUS assumption that "any point" means any point in the current conversation. Me saying my point # one and you saying "the sky is sometimes blue" would not reaaaaaallllllly fit into a conversation, now would it?????
So in my "opinion" you are trying to force over literalness to trip someone up and that usually means you are actually on the defensive here. See everything I say that you try and debunk is simply my opinion, so you continuing to try and grammar nazi and nit pick minor quips to make it seem like Im saying its fact is really just makes you look desperate and loony.

Yaf3n.gif

K go ahead

edit:
Also I dont need to justify anything to you, you are pretty much a forum nobody, just like me. Seems you are just trying to "make a splash" if you ask me

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for re clarifying what we were talking about, and Im actually being sincere not sarcastic at this point so I will keep this as brief and as clear as possible.

1) Yes I believe having children is a right and NOT a privilege as most would like to enforce in the minds of others. There are many things to take into consideration from finances to physical health that people should really think about. I "personally" also think that people should take physical appearance into account as well. I realize there will always be that small percentile of offbeats and unexpected outcomes but overall if people really thought they SHOULD have kids they'd realize they should not.
The world is way overpopulated as it is and (speaking generally about the US as I dont know what its like there) we breed completely on quantity here instead of quality.
I also take myself and own siblings into considerations here. There are many aspect or our own genes that should not have been seeded. This is why my brother and I will never have kids. Our family is riddled with health and mental issues.
I am also a proponent of forced sterilization and can slightly even be leaned towards certain forms of eugenics.

No you've already written this and wasted both our time writing it out again.

Re-read what you just quoted from me, I'm trying to keep this as specific as possible to stop your wandering mind, you have yet to explain how it's in any way reasonable to expect a guy not to have children because of the chance that they might be bald. You are basically saying bald guys indefinitely live a ****ty existence to the point we shouldn't exist, despite the fact that besides this awful aesthetic hindrance we can live and appreciate a normal life, or even prosper in many ways.

If you want to talk about severe birth defects that limit a human to a vegetative state where a human is completely debilitated beyond reasonable thoughts and feelings, that's a whole different discussion, and not one I ever engaged in. For some reason you keep taking it upon yourself to decide that this was the point I was making.

2) Again I dont know what you are actually "trying" to say..... It would be the OBVIOUS assumption that "any point" means any point in the current conversation. Me saying my point # one and you saying "the sky is sometimes blue" would not reaaaaaallllllly fit into a conversation, now would it?????
So in my "opinion" you are trying to force over literalness to trip someone up and that usually means you are actually on the defensive here. See everything I say that you try and debunk is simply my opinion, so you continuing to try and grammar nazi and nit pick minor quips to make it seem like Im saying its fact is really just makes you look desperate and loony.

Yaf3n.gif

K go ahead

edit:
Also I dont need to justify anything to you, you are pretty much a forum nobody, just like me. Seems you are just trying to "make a splash" if you ask me

Finally I can accept something you've said, you have a point that I took a statement you made within a certain constraint of conversation and I blew it up into more general terms. Really all I was doing was exposing how much of an arrogant douche you are, I mean who the **** writes "Make any point I'll rebut it!!!1" and now you've backed up the arrogant douche aspect with this awful chess "your move!" gif. To me that just proves you have no intent on actually getting anywhere, you just want to "win" and not back down, and in other threads I've already seen you are literally just writing anything to make the last post.

To you this is for an audience, and that's really pathetic.