Do you want to have kids?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Would you want to pass on the baldness gene?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
By the time my kids grow up there will be no hair loss I'm sure!

Thats what they said in the 70s/80s/90s :dunno:

Reaction score
:shakehead:

I honestly don't think I would risk the chance of passing male pattern baldness on to a son especially knowing firsthand how debilitating it can be. Why would I really want to subject someone to that?

In fact, and this might come across as melodramatic, but I sometimes think that my Dad was selfish when he decided to have children. I mean for all my Dad has did for me (and it is a lot) he has passed on a condition which negatively impacts on my quality of life and all round well-being. Sometimes I just think why did you bother?

Nope, unless there's a miracle breakthrough of some sort then this sh*t is ending with me.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again

People all over the world pass horrible genetic diseases to their children, and I mean really deforming, life threatening diseases and I'm sure the majority of kids end up alright

It is melodramatic to complain about your parents when they gave you a pretty common genetic trait. It's like me complaining about why my father gave me myopia

I saw a show about three girls with harlequin syndrome and they were thankful to her mother, but people here start to cry about their parents because their hair starts to fall in their 20's

The idea has passed trough my head several times, concerning medical problems I have and I expect to get worst with future generations. Giving a son baldness is the least of my concerns.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont want kids - it has nothing to do with m.p.b.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
well the baldness gene is not an issue for me, im wearing hair so if i have a kid i want to raise him with hair, i would never do that to a child of mine, having a bald father would be just aweful, my father was not bald he still has thicK NW1 into his 60s!, and due to that i never really saw bald men in my social life, first bald person i knew socially was myself :thumbdown2:

it was my MOTHERS side that gave me it in 20s, nice NW5 at 22 :)

but im happy to now be 25 with full head of amazing looking "hair", adn to have it forever, if i have son i will raise him with hair on my head, if he starts to lose it i can pass on my knowledge to him and he can wear also.

so it's not really an issue if he wears, he WILL be comfortable with wearing, or live the life of hell i had to endure lol.

+in 98 procecia came out i believe, maybe in 20 years time the same thing will be out but twice as poweful with no sides, it's very possible!

cuebald

Reaction score
I'd still have kids no worries. Hopefully by the 20 or so years there'll be a cure or at least a much better maintenance option out there. Besides, the boy might even skip the gene if he's lucky.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats a tough one.. i do want to have kids, i dont want them to suffer from male pattern baldness obviously, i think since i "suffer" so much, I believe ill be able to grant them with proper tools to cope.

you cant let something like bald gene f*** up your dreams/goals, if you wish to have a kid your going to have to face reality and assume (im pretty sure actually) that no cure will come about the next 20-40 years. (ill be happy to have my hair back in my 60's i think)

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Ori83 said:
you cant let something like bald gene f*ck up your dreams/goals, if you wish to have a kid your going to have to face reality and assume (im pretty sure actually) that no cure will come about the next 20-40 years. (ill be happy to have my hair back in my 60's i think)

The point is, its not just our dreams and goals. There is another potential human being involved...

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CaptainForehead said:
Ori83 said:
you cant let something like bald gene f*ck up your dreams/goals, if you wish to have a kid your going to have to face reality and assume (im pretty sure actually) that no cure will come about the next 20-40 years. (ill be happy to have my hair back in my 60's i think)

The point is, its not just our dreams and goals. There is another potential human being involved...

that's not what i meant, i meant having bald gene shouldn't be a reason for not having kids. (i call up the "translation error" card ;) )

(p/s lets not pretend having kids is anything more than "pre-programed selfishness")

s.a.f

Reaction score
Theres waaayyy too many people on this f*****g planet anyway.
Fact is for any kids being born now hairloss will be the least of their problems. In 20 yrs time when theres no oil, water or food will also not be as abundant (yes water is running out! and across the globe harvests being effected by adverse weather) are and the economy and society will probably be in even worse shape. (sad but true) :whistle:

s.a.f

Reaction score
The human race will go out with a whimper not a bang! :whistle:

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. I don't want to have kids, it would be stupid, irresponsible and selfish. Kids are nothing but trouble. Teenagers, in particular, are terrible. I wasn't a particularly troublesome teenager (at least, I was a great student and didn't do any drugs) but even I made my parents go through some tough times. So why bother? Moreover, I see no hope for future generations: no jobs, no money, no stability.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Belmondo said:
I see no hope for future generations: no jobs, no money, no stability.
s.a.f said:
In 20 yrs time when theres no oil, water or food will also not be as abundant (yes water is running out! and across the globe harvests being effected by adverse weather) are and the economy and society will probably be in even worse shape.

Its not our job to give a f***, if you want to have kids none of the above valid (same arguments been heard and will be heard decades over decades, its all bs + hae you seen "water world"?... would be cool to live like that my last remaining years :p)

Obsidian

Reaction score
Unsure, mostly due to other things (financial, personal) rather than male pattern baldness.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I look at my sisters raising their kids and its ALOT of work like having 2 fulltime jobs. As soon as that kids born your life is no longer your own. (For the average Joe it means no freetime anymore, and no spending money).
And I also see nearly all my workmates who've had kids split up with the woman (the relationship cant handle the massive change). So now they've got kids but they just pay for them and hardly ever see them.

I honestly believe you should need a licence to have kids!

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to, but I have too many genetic and non-genetic flaws. I would probably put too much pressure in them to avoid their fate resembling my own. It usually turns otherwise anyway and I guess it would be hard looking at how they struggle with life.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ori83 said:
Belmondo said:
I see no hope for future generations: no jobs, no money, no stability.
s.a.f said:
In 20 yrs time when theres no oil, water or food will also not be as abundant (yes water is running out! and across the globe harvests being effected by adverse weather) are and the economy and society will probably be in even worse shape.

Its not our job to give a f*ck, if you want to have kids none of the above valid (same arguments been heard and will be heard decades over decades, its all bs + hae you seen "water world"?... would be cool to live like that my last remaining years :p)

Well it would be cool in a way that no one would care what they look like anymore!

s.a.f

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
s.a.f said:
I honestly believe you should need a licence to have kids!

I couldn't agree more. I think the world would be far better for mandatory steralisation if you can't pass some kind of emotional and ethical test.

Unfortunatley we all know where we're headed.

[youtube:3ns9wa23]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSROlfR7WTo[/youtube:3ns9wa23]