Do you ever think about how long you'll wear a hair piece for?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think you'll wear your whole life? or do you think you'll eventually just stop wearing? or go down the transplant route?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, aren't there different types and thoughts on wearability long-term? I love my hair but I like my wig more still so maybe even XY's in the future will wear toupees over their own hair to protect it from the elements or what have you. I tried but I didn't like having to have fixed hair cuts so I cut my own hair but they don't look good on all heads. Gentlemen's hats might come back in style. What do you think?

RedEyeNinja

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think you'll wear your whole life? or do you think you'll eventually just stop wearing? or go down the transplant route?
Transplant if you got good donor hair.
Thinned out donor hair and thinned out temples and Norwood 7 like me. You're fucked if you get to that stage.

Hair system or shave my head is my only options. SMP looks like sh*t. And I'm not keen on the buzzed head look anyway.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplant if you got good donor hair.
Thinned out donor hair and thinned out temples and Norwood 7 like me. You're fucked if you get to that stage.

Hair system or shave my head is my only options. SMP looks like sh*t. And I'm not keen on the buzzed head look anyway.
Do you think SMP works better on darker complexions?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe, but still gives a shaved head look.
Done wrong it looks like Lego man with blue dots.
Janey and Will dislike tattoos and that's a personal choice but I don't like the idea of something marring my head or face for how long does it last? Forever? How hard to remove is it?

RedEyeNinja

My Regimen
Reaction score
Janey and Will dislike tattoos and that's a personal choice but I don't like the idea of something marring my head or face for how long does it last? Forever? How hard to remove is it?
Not as deep as tattoo. But probably will need a laser to remove it. No thanks.

Hair system if it looks sh*t you can take it off.

With SMP if done wrong it will look like a disfigurement worse than being bald.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ha. Every few weeks. It’s like, I love how the units look. I feel great with them on…most of the time. I get the occasional day where I just want to shave my head, grow a long beard, and move to an island (rocking a straw hat). I would love to be liberated from the weekly maintenance.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sometimes, I wonder how things would have been had I gotten a transplant instead.

timn420

Reaction score
On the flip side, how long would I continue to use rogaine and take pills to grow hair with minimal results over my life?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in my mid 40's now, and i do have this idea in my head of just taking a year out, going for a hair transplant. But in the meantime it's great that there is other options.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in my mid 40's now, and i do have this idea in my head of just taking a year out, going for a hair transplant. But in the meantime it's great that there is other options.
A transplant will not give you the hair you want. I've seen people with transplants - my best friend had one done - and you get some coverage but not anywhere near 100%. And the hair isn't strong hair that you can grown long and style. It still looks wispy and weak. Plus the fact that you're undergoing surgery and will be on pills for the rest of your days.

I'm similar age to you. I worry about how long I can wear for, and how I will make it look more realistic. But I will figure that out as I get older. My plan so far is to reduce density to a respectable level and increase grey from 10% to 15% to 25% etc. I reckon I will wear until my 60s or 70s if I can be bothered and am still alive.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A transplant will not give you the hair you want. I've seen people with transplants - my best friend had one done - and you get some coverage but not anywhere near 100%. And the hair isn't strong hair that you can grown long and style. It still looks wispy and weak. Plus the fact that you're undergoing surgery and will be on pills for the rest of your days.

I'm similar age to you. I worry about how long I can wear for, and how I will make it look more realistic. But I will figure that out as I get older. My plan so far is to reduce density to a respectable level and increase grey from 10% to 15% to 25% etc. I reckon I will wear until my 60s or 70s if I can be bothered and am still alive.
That was the Bing Crosby approach and he even left some balding apparent in the crown. Less is often more in terms of people detecting vel non and your thoughts related to aging gracefully in a system are spot on. People in the days of radio were often quite open about wearing toupees and both Jack Benny and George Burns wore them and many others and they referenced themselves as wearing them. But folks back then seemed to have viewed their "hair" more so as "toss on, toss off" although to the English, that might sound sexual but there's no intent as Janey's asexual after all and goes somewhat randomly without her wig but usually wears it on more formal occasions like say, sentencing in court, being a kind of eh, lawyer but shh, we are not proud.

Best and Kudos on the articulation of your plan going forward. Maybe take pics so you can help the younger guys coming up behind you. I would love to see realistic age progress by systems wearers. It's so hard not to go for the full hair helmet like Ted Koppel but he also referenced his own piece which to most of us, is a no-no, probably always in terms of systems.

Janey

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score

You can't base your view on your friend. There are 100's of transplants I've seen that are amazing. It's dependant on so many factors, donor hair, the doctor, your loss etc etc...

But your right that it can't replicate the hair you lost and that's where the skill of the surgeon comes in. But there's never any guarantees with surgery.

I guess it's always that thought in the back of my head, what if i got good results?, it would be pretty life changing and if it wasn't then I'll go back to wearing. I'm sure if there was a top hair transplant doctor nearby I would be much more likely to have (or had) one, the idea of having to travel half way round the world and somehow fit this into my life and how would i wear a piece after it?? I'd have to take months off and disappear for a while lol....it's just a lot easier wearing.

In the whole scheme of things it not a big deal I just wondered if people thought about their future concerning them wearing, it's not something I thought about 15 years ago when I started wearing but as I've got older it's something that I do think about from time to time.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can't base your view on your friend. There are 100's of transplants I've seen that are amazing. It's dependant on so many factors, donor hair, the doctor, your loss etc etc...

But your right that it can't replicate the hair you lost and that's where the skill of the surgeon comes in. But there's never any guarantees with surgery.

I guess it's always that thought in the back of my head, what if i got good results?, it would be pretty life changing and if it wasn't then I'll go back to wearing. I'm sure if there was a top hair transplant doctor nearby I would be much more likely to have (or had) one, the idea of having to travel half way round the world and somehow fit this into my life and how would i wear a piece after it?? I'd have to take months off and disappear for a while lol....it's just a lot easier wearing.

In the whole scheme of things it not a big deal I just wondered if people thought about their future concerning them wearing, it's not something I thought about 15 years ago when I started wearing but as I've got older it's something that I do think about from time to time.
Psychologically it is not "free" hair and might or might not be detectable by the masses but often is to those of us who have had them and the hair lines remain to me, pretty eh. Hair loss during transfer appears to be more prevalent now perhaps due to the old plugs providing a larger hair/skin environment to blend in with the remaining hair. But I often felt "guilty" and often scarred when my results did not turn out so well as I hoped and then faded entirely after about 20 years even with finasteride/duta/min/low dose E2.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm planning to wear a nice grey-flecked one when they put me in the ground LOL.
What will your wear in your padded cell? Please, no! Don't take my hair or I will really start butting my head against the wall and that there's no mere threat....Hellllpppp!

Janey recommends seeking and then seeing a therapist weekly as she does and maybe even a psychiatrist say, bi-monthly. It's usually covered by insurance and crazy people are eligible for free! Mental health is no joke says she and we all can suffer from it even without knowing it or realizing it ourselves until it's too late. Mental Health is life says Janey, and hair is a distant second....

Last edited:

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Have you had any issues you have delt with wearing for 15 years? Seems there are more 1 to 5 year people on here. Does why long you have been wearing affect anything?