Do you ever think about how long you'll wear a hair piece for?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure I understand your question.
Sorry auto correct...in other words do you feel having done this that long has caused any problems, like you scalp condition or anything related? Do you feel long term wearing is a bad thing? Most guys on here can't comment on that as they have only been wearing 1 to 5 years.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry auto correct...in other words do you feel having done this that long has caused any problems, like you scalp condition or anything related? Do you feel long term wearing is a bad thing? Most guys on here can't comment on that as they have only been wearing 1 to 5 years.
Nope, no problems i can think of and I have sensitive skin. Although i only wear a very small hairline piece but i don't know if that makes any difference to whether i would've had any scalp irritation in the long term.

Not sure why wearing would be a bad thing long term, its no different today than it was 15 years ago when I started.

Overall it's been a very positive experience. I still consider getting a hair transplant in the future but overall it's been a positive thing for me.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm getting quite annoyed with wearing to be honest. I did see a guy with amazing, amazing micropigmentation results. It still looked fake but it was reasonable. Still, I don't think I could go thru with that nonsense - always comes out looking ridiculous

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting quite annoyed with wearing to be honest. I did see a guy with amazing, amazing micropigmentation results. It still looked fake but it was reasonable. Still, I don't think I could go thru with that nonsense - always comes out looking ridiculous
If it looked fake how can it look amazing? Even if it looked good, what happens when you age? Do you want to look like a skinhead at 60?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm getting fed up of wearing as well and the pandemic distancing measures coupled with the supply shortage and quality issues have given me a sense of what it's like to just be a part-time wearer. I think my eventual future is basically that.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm getting fed up of wearing as well and the pandemic distancing measures coupled with the supply shortage and quality issues have given me a sense of what it's like to just be a part-time wearer. I think my eventual future is basically that.
How is one a part time wearer? Like not wearing it at home?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you had any issues you have delt with wearing for 15 years? Seems there are more 1 to 5 year people on here. Does why long you have been wearing affect anything?
The problem with transplants..... Is that no matter how many graphs you get done, at a given time, and no matter how great it looks ....your existing/original hair is not going stop falling out. The donor area and tranplants may survive, but you will forever need to do more grafts, and you will run low on donor hair, at some point.

I have a colleague that spent approximately $80k, over the course of 10 years, and is ultimately unhappy with the end results. It's chasing a problem that's not likely to go away.

That's what kept me from it.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with transplants..... Is that no matter how many graphs you get done, at a given time, and no matter how great it looks ....your existing/original hair is not going stop falling out. The donor area and tranplants may survive, but you will forever need to do more grafts, and you will run low on donor hair, at some point.

I have a colleague that spent approximately $80k, over the course of 10 years, and is ultimately unhappy with the end results. It's chasing a problem that's not likely to go away.

That's what kept me from it.
For sure, your just taking hair from one place and putting it in another. It's not adding hair like a piece does. I have no doubt the systems are the way to go if your looking for a full head of hair.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
For sure, your just taking hair from one place and putting it in another. It's not adding hair like a piece does. I have no doubt the systems are the way to go if your looking for a full head of hair.
Not looking to spark a debate again, because I've probably said it 10 times.... And I'm sure you've heard at 10 times :) But any reactions people are going to be aware of.. over the course of 5 or even 10 years, would be dermatitis, irritations, and allergic reactions. That's never been my concern.... with long term exposure to the adhesives. It is the endocrine damage and cancer it can encourage. Again, with cancer we can't put our finger on exactly what what caused it and when. Just like with smokers... we can't say definitively that smoking caused it... but we clearly see its more prevalent in smokers...

When you sit down with a patient, to discuss a cancer diagnosis .. the topic of hair never comes up nor would I expect it to ever. That coupled with how very small the wig community is, vs common, measurable, demographics. No one's going to connect any dots.....

It's no different than round up and talcum powder. Things toaded as, "safe as water", for countless decades, now they've identified it as a cause of hotchkin's, ovarian, and other cancers.

But again, as bad as it is, and as many issues as it can potentially cause..... I'm here with you, doing it as well... with acrylic no less!

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is one a part time wearer? Like not wearing it at home?

Oh, doing short term holds with spirit gum- not wearing every day, some days just for a few hours maybe. Throwing a hat on for everyday local errands like grocery shopping. I have a backup piece that looks pretty tight when it's not even bonded down, and I've found myself wearing that more than my main one, especially for just puttering around the house etc.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Not looking to spark a debate again, because I've probably said it 10 times.... And I'm sure you've heard at 10 times :) But any reactions people are going to be aware of.. over the course of 5 or even 10 years, would be dermatitis, irritations, and allergic reactions. That's never been my concern.... with long term exposure to the adhesives. It is the endocrine damage and cancer it can encourage. Again, with cancer we can't put our finger on exactly what what caused it and when. Just like with smokers... we can't say definitively that smoking caused it... but we clearly see its more prevalent in smokers...

When you sit down with a patient, to discuss a cancer diagnosis .. the topic of hair never comes up nor would I expect it to ever. That coupled with how very small the wig community is, vs common, measurable, demographics. No one's going to connect any dots.....

It's no different than round up and talcum powder. Things toaded as, "safe as water", for countless decades, now they've identified it as a cause of hotchkin's, ovarian, and other cancers.

But again, as bad as it is, and as many issues as it can potentially cause..... I'm here with you, doing it as well... with acrylic no less!
It's an interesting point. But i'd be amazed about centuries of people wearing wigs a connection would've been made by now. That said practically everything you do in life even if you have an amazing diet and are incredibly fit could increase the chances even if those chances are very small.

Like you said certain innocent things in the past are now being identified to increase risk in certain diseases, but if you stop wearing on a whim that it might lower your risk what else are you doing? Can you be certain that food your eating wont eventually be proven to increase cancer risks?, walking oustide in the sunlight and exposing any skin to sun might increase your risk, exercising too much, the clothes you wear, the toothpaste you brush with, the water you drink, the pollution you can't see,....the list is endless so it seems a waste of time to stop wearing because maybe it could in the future be a potential link as everything you do right now might eventually be in time linked with certain diseases.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

What makes it worse, is that people say glues are medical grade and assume it means safe in non-medical conditions. Medicine is against disease always with its side-effects and complications that are just smaller than the disease treated. Unfortunately to my logic "medical grade" could actually mean the opposite of safe. Medicine that's not used for the main indication can be considered poison.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
It's an interesting point. But i'd be amazed about centuries of people wearing wigs a connection would've been made by now. That said practically everything you do in life even if you have an amazing diet and are incredibly fit could increase the chances even if those chances are very small.

Like you said certain innocent things in the past are now being identified to increase risk in certain diseases, but if you stop wearing on a whim that it might lower your risk what else are you doing? Can you be certain that food your eating wont eventually be proven to increase cancer risks?, walking oustide in the sunlight and exposing any skin to sun might increase your risk, exercising too much, the clothes you wear, the toothpaste you brush with, the water you drink, the pollution you can't see,....the list is endless so it seems a waste of time to stop wearing because maybe it could in the future be a potential link as everything you do right now might eventually be in time linked with certain diseases.
What glues have they used for centuries?

The point is some people wouldn't actually wear because hair is not such a big deal and glues can have a very different composition. There are different ways to attach. People should big the safest one.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score

The difference is, people have not been using acrylic glues on their scalp for centuries. Also, people have not been using poly thin skins for anywhere near that length of time. If you want to go back in "significant periods of time the majority of those would be people with lace bases and clips.... Which I agree would be chemically safe.

Some food for thought. BPA a in plastic bottles has been a major issue, and is a selling point on many products that are PB free. If you agree with the science that PBA leaches into the water, what makes you think the glue and Poly are not leaching chemicals into your bloodstream , through your dermis?

Again I'm here with the rest of you doing it. I have a very firm stance that ignorance or denial of facts is not wise.

To claim we eat bad food and are exposed to other cancer causing elements does not mean you should smoke cigarettes and put yourself at even further risk. We do have a responsibility to mitigate the damage we cause ourselves.

But we also have to enjoy life and feel good about ourselves, and that's why we're all here....

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
What makes it worse, is that people say glues are medical grade and assume it means safe in non-medical conditions. Medicine is against disease always with its side-effects and complications that are just smaller than the disease treated. Unfortunately to my logic "medical grade" could actually mean the opposite of safe. Medicine that's not used for the main indication can be considered poison.
Perfect answer. Medical grade, from manufactures,typically refers to sterility, or implies that it does not contain ingredients that are known to cause an allergic reaction with most people....like hypo alergenic..... That doesn't mean the combination of ingredients that make their product has been tested as a whole. Or that it's safe.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
The difference is, people have not been using acrylic glues on their scalp for centuries. Also, people have not been using poly thin skins for anywhere near that length of time. If you want to go back in "significant periods of time the majority of those would be people with lace bases and clips.... Which I agree would be chemically safe.

Some food for thought. BPA a in plastic bottles has been a major issue, and is a selling point on many products that are PB free. If you agree with the science that PBA leaches into the water, what makes you think the glue and Poly are not leaching chemicals into your bloodstream , through your dermis?

Again I'm here with the rest of you doing it. I have a very firm stance that ignorance or denial of facts is not wise.

To claim we eat bad food and are exposed to other cancer causing elements does not mean you should smoke cigarettes and put yourself at even further risk. We do have a responsibility to mitigate the damage we cause ourselves.

But we also have to enjoy life and feel good about ourselves, and that's why we're all here....
I agree but that's the point I'm making if you go down the path of 'this might be dangerous but we simply don't know' how many other things will you do everyday that will in the future be found to increase things like cancers.
What glues have they used for centuries?

The point is some people wouldn't actually wear because hair is not such a big deal and glues can have a very different composition. There are different ways to attach. People should big the safest one.
I'm intrigued, is there a certain attachment that is the safest (clips aside) unless that's what you meant and that's what you use.