Dilluting Rogaine?

SE-freak

Reaction score
Now, if alcohol has increased volatility compared to ppg then we might have an issue here. (and alcohol is highly volatile).

Is Dr.Lee's quick drying minoxidil and low ppg glycol minoxidil the same solution-product?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Radio said:
Mer said:
So the reason for Dr. Lee's 500 drying/absorbing quicker is the lower (30%) PPG compared to Rogaine's 50%, correct?

Is he using more alcohol or water to decrease this percentage?

I saw the 50% alcohol, 30% PPG, 20% water figures from his site but could only find 50% PPG for Rogaine. What are the other two percentages for Rogaine?

Thanks.

Rogaine is 50% PPG 30% alcohol

Dr Lees is 30% PPG 50% alcohol

Minoxidil absorption peaks at around 90% alcohol (if I remember the figure Bryan posted some while back)

Well there you go. Thanks for the info.!

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
I don't know about that "white powder" SE is seeing though!! I never see that.

The white powder is minoxidil.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Radio said:
[quote="Old Baldy":41e06] I don't know about that "white powder" SE is seeing though!! I never see that.

:freaked2: f***.[/quote:41e06]

Are you sure or is it that stuff you're trying to shoot across the room!?

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Radio said:
[quote="Old Baldy":5421c] I don't know about that "white powder" SE is seeing though!! I never see that.

Bummer, why is he seeing that!! Have you ever seen white powder?[/quote:5421c]

Yes, sometimes, Dr Lee claims it is fine for a little minoxidil reserve to be left on the scalp, even better if it is occlusioned (is that a brand new word?) with something like Spironolactone.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Radio said:
Old Baldy said:
Radio said:
[quote="Old Baldy":a8d43] I don't know about that "white powder" SE is seeing though!! I never see that.

Bummer, why is he seeing that!! Have you ever seen white powder?

Yes, sometimes, Dr Lee claims it is fine for a little minoxidil reserve to be left on the scalp, even better if it is occlusioned (is that a brand new word?) with something like Spironolactone.[/quote:a8d43]

I see, no big deal then. You know, of all the things I've read about, minoxidil. is the least I've researched. :hairy:

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:

I normally wash all semen from my hair before appling minoxidil.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Radio said:
Old Baldy said:

I normally wash all semen from my hair before appling minoxidil.

Uh, at my age it doesn't shoot that far. You younger men make me sick!! :evil:

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Radio said:
Minoxidil absorption peaks at around 90% alcohol (if I remember the figure Bryan posted some while back)

PPG does increase absorption, but its main role is thought to be to extend shelf life.

So am I correct in thinking that by adding 60ml of alcohol to 60ml of Rogaine I'll be increasing the absorbtion of the Minoxidil and decreasing the drying time. Given that I'll have to apply 2ml per dose instead of 1ml.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm pretty new to all this and am still learning.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is also worth noting that although Dr Lees stuff dries in 10 minutes it still may be sat on your head for a hour or more with some level of moisture, just not the same kind of oiliness that the increased PPG levels in Rogaine.

???

SE-freak

Reaction score
Hm... I guess I cannot figure anything out regarding efficacy.
I would kill for a comparison study.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Radio said:
It is also worth noting that although Dr Lees stuff dries in 10 minutes it still may be sat on your head for a hour or more with some level of moisture, just not the same kind of oiliness that the increased PPG levels in Rogaine.

???

Yes, the minoxidil. gets delivered to the upper layer of the skin then slowly absorbs into the lower layers later on if my memory is correct.

I'll have to go to alt.baldspot and do some reading. Especially about PPG being in there, in higher percentages, due to shelf life concerns. Never knew that. I always assumed it was for absorption and, when I read that old Upjohn blurb, I never thought about it anymore.

I mean I always thought PPG was there to "time release" the minoxidil.?? :?

Well, to dissolve it also. (Man, I've got to do some reading up on minoxidil. Here's the oldest proven remedy and I've read VERY little on it. DUMB!)

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Tried it this morning.

Added 1 ml Rogaine and 1 ml azealic acid/ethyl alcohol solution to a little cup, mixed and applied the 2ml. "Dried" in about 15 minutes.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Mer said:
Would adding 60ml of say distilled water to 60ml of Rogaine improve the drying time? Granted you'd have to apply 2ml instead of 1ml but would the dilluted solution speed drying time at all?

Would this effect the original formula? (don't think so but have to ask)

Thanks for any input.

Get some Everclear or Perfumer's Blend from the Chemistrystore.com and dilute the minoxidil. It will allow the minoxidil. to dry much more quickly. You'll have a weaker medicine though. You might try adding 10 percent first, see how that works. If that's no good up it to 20 percent, etc.

I've added 50 percent to make a 2.5 percent mix, mixed with 1.5 percent phenytoin and it dries very fast. WAY more cosmetically acceptable. (Probably 40 percent add'l alcohol would be ok. You'd get about 3 percent that way. Never tried that though, might on my next batch.)

That's one of the first things I did when starting to make my own concoctions. I read that 2 percent minoxidil. is 77 percent as effective as 5 percent minoxidil. over the long term. So I made a 2.5 percent mix to use when I go outside. You get twice as much also!

I've got to add that generic 5 percent minoxidil. is one of the best "carriers" of other stuff I've ever encountered. EXCEPT spironolactone.!! STINKY!!! :shock:

Oh, I forgot to say, what other stuff can you add:

1 - Green tea extract
2 - Grape seed extract
3 - Phenytoin
4 - L-Arignine, L-Carnitine
5 - Bayberry (DHT inhibitor)
6 - Azelaic Acid
7 - Essential oils (anti-inflammatory types of essential oils are good)
8 - Zinc Sulphate
9 - Herbal extracts like saw palmetto extract and nettle extract
10 - Ascorbyl palmitate, ascorbate

And on, and on and on.......

O.B. - what do you think about adding some crushed up caffeine tabs to 5% minoxidil. How many do you think would be safe in a standard 60ml bottle?

(Here's the kind I crushed up and added to my shampoos) http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... LST-0-SRCH

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Is Dr.Lee's quick drying minoxidil and low ppg glycol minoxidil the same solution-product?

Dr Lee makes a quick drying minoxidil with low PPG at 30% and not 50% like Rogiane.

He also makes a PPG free minoxidil which substitutes 30% glycerin. This one is very slow drying much like Rogiane.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Radio said:
SE-freak said:

Dr Lee makes a quick drying minoxidil with low PPG at 30% and not 50% like Rogiane.

He also makes a PPG free minoxidil which substitutes 30% glycerin. This one is very slow drying much like Rogiane.

I see. Cheers. :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Yes, the minoxidil. gets delivered to the upper layer of the skin then slowly absorbs into the lower layers later on if my memory is correct.

That was so... Gandalfish! :)