Dilluting Rogaine?

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Would adding 60ml of say distilled water to 60ml of Rogaine improve the drying time? Granted you'd have to apply 2ml instead of 1ml but would the dilluted solution speed drying time at all?

Would this effect the original formula? (don't think so but have to ask)

Thanks for any input.

SE-freak

Reaction score
The terms "active ingredient" and "vehicle" are not indicative of importance. The a.ingredient has to be delivered to the follicle via absorption. The new vehicle (original vehicle +water) is in no way similar to the original in terms of effectiveness.

You seem to be focusing only on the a.ingredient's concentration.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mer said:
Would adding 60ml of say distilled water to 60ml of Rogaine improve the drying time? Granted you'd have to apply 2ml instead of 1ml but would the dilluted solution speed drying time at all?

no.

If you are after a quick drying minoxidil, Dr Lees minoxidil dries in around 10 minutes.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Mer said:

Would this effect the original formula? (don't think so but have to ask)

Thanks for any input.

Get some Everclear or Perfumer's Blend from the Chemistrystore.com and dilute the minoxidil. It will allow the minoxidil. to dry much more quickly. You'll have a weaker medicine though. You might try adding 10 percent first, see how that works. If that's no good up it to 20 percent, etc.

I've added 50 percent to make a 2.5 percent mix, mixed with 1.5 percent phenytoin and it dries very fast. WAY more cosmetically acceptable. (Probably 40 percent add'l alcohol would be ok. You'd get about 3 percent that way. Never tried that though, might on my next batch.)

That's one of the first things I did when starting to make my own concoctions. I read that 2 percent minoxidil. is 77 percent as effective as 5 percent minoxidil. over the long term. So I made a 2.5 percent mix to use when I go outside. You get twice as much also!

I've got to add that generic 5 percent minoxidil. is one of the best "carriers" of other stuff I've ever encountered. EXCEPT spironolactone.!! STINKY!!! :shock:

Oh, I forgot to say, what other stuff can you add:

1 - Green tea extract
2 - Grape seed extract
3 - Phenytoin
4 - L-Arignine, L-Carnitine
5 - Bayberry (DHT inhibitor)
6 - Azelaic Acid
7 - Essential oils (anti-inflammatory types of essential oils are good)
8 - Zinc Sulphate
9 - Herbal extracts like saw palmetto extract and nettle extract
10 - Ascorbyl palmitate, ascorbate

And on, and on and on.......

SE-freak

Reaction score
Interesting alternative O.B.

I still doubt that 10 min drying time can lead to the same level of absorption as 2h(at least) though.

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think that absorbtion would be a problem for Dr. Lee's since his dries in 10 minutes also?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
SE-freak said:

I still doubt that 10 min drying time can lead to the same level of absorption as 2h(at least) though.

No, you're probably right. The stuff I make takes a little longer than 10 minutes to dry but it does dry fast enough to probably make absorption less than the undiluted mix. Don't really know for sure though. Just using common sense, which doesn't always work in these areas.

I never see any white residue with my diluted mix so the minoxidil. is probably delivered, just not as deeply.

Even so, it takes a few days for minoxidil. to work its way down to the DP area of the scalp from what I've read. It's what Doctor Proctor calls part of the "depot effect", if I remember correctly. You know, it gets absorbed in the upper layer of the scalp and eventually works its way down to the lower layers later on? Well, I think that's how it works. :?

You know SE, you add a little alcohol to generic 5 percent minoxidil. and put in other stuff and you open up a whole "new world" of topical treatments. (And I have to brag a little, I am regrowing some hair on this old baldy head!)

SE-freak

Reaction score
Just using common sense, which doesn't always work in these areas.
Yes. My doubt is not based on any evidence. I find it very possible for Dr.Lee's quick drying minoxidil to absorb in a lesser degree than brand name rog.

I never see any white residue with my diluted mix so the minoxidil. is probably delivered, just not as deeply.
:shock: White residue is a sign of non absorption? I often find that.

Even so, it takes a few days for minoxidil. to work its way down to the DP area of the scalp from what I've read. It's what Doctor Proctor calls part of the "depot effect", if I remember correctly. You know, it gets absorbed in the upper layer of the scalp and eventually works its way down to the lower layers later on? Well, I think that's how it works. :?

Very interesting.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:

This is often quoted, but the initial premise may be a little 'loaded'.

Does Dr Lees minoxidil dry in 10 minutes or does it absorb in 10 minutes?

If you were to buy a good quaility moisturiser would you be happy that it absorbed fully in 10 minutes (as many of the better ones do) or would you prefer that it was still sat on your skin, unabsorbed, 3 or 4 hours later ?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Radio said:
SE-freak said:

If you were to buy a good quaility moisturiser would you be happy that it absorbed fully in 10 minutes (as many of the better ones do) or would you prefer that it was still sat on your skin, unabsorbed, 3 or 4 hours later ?

I think Doctor Lee said it absorbs in 1 hour? Or you can "wash it off after one hour"?

Either way, what you say makes sense Radio.

SE: The white residue is minoxidil. IMHO.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Radio said:
SE-freak said:

Come on Radio, even emu oil does not fully "absorb" the way you mention. A liquid on your skin will probably disappear within minutes due to volatility and not absorption. Absorption takes time.

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
So the reason for Dr. Lee's 500 drying/absorbing quicker is the lower (30%) PPG compared to Rogaine's 50%, correct?

Is he using more alcohol or water to decrease this percentage?

I saw the 50% alcohol, 30% PPG, 20% water figures from his site but could only find 50% PPG for Rogaine. What are the other two percentages for Rogaine?

Thanks.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Radio said:
[quote="SE-freak":75065]Interesting alternative O.B.

Come on Radio, even emu oil does not fully "absorb" the way you mention. A liquid on your skin will probably disappear within minutes due to volatility and not absorption. Absorption takes time.[/quote:75065]

SE: Go to alt.baldspot.com and do a search on "depot effect" and "absorption". You'll see that this is not an exact science. That's why guys like Dave are trying to find a good topical carrier to use for their concoctions.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Come on Radio

It is on a shelf, I have not got the range.

SE-freak said:
even emu oil does not fully "absorb" the way you mention. A liquid on your skin will probably disappear within minutes due to volatility and not absorption. Absorption takes time.

I am not saying my idea is in any way absolute, it is just worth baring in mind that, in these kinds of converstaions rapid absorption is never discussed only rapid drying, maybe someone with knowledge on this kind of thing can add some information.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Radio said:
SE-freak said:
Come on Radio

It is on a shelf, I have not got the range.

Really? my range remains unchanged after the feminization effect of nizoral and finasteride. I can shoot that stereo from here.

I am not saying my idea is in any way absolute, it is just worth baring in mind that, in these kinds of converstaions rapid absorption is never discussed only rapid drying, maybe someone with knowledge on this kind of thing can add some information.

Agreed. I was just expressing my doubts and worries too. No knowledge on the subject whatsoever.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Mer said:
So the reason for Dr. Lee's 500 drying/absorbing quicker is the lower (30%) PPG compared to Rogaine's 50%, correct?

I saw the 50% alcohol, 30% PPG, 20% water figures from his site but could only find 50% PPG for Rogaine. What are the other two percentages for Rogaine?

Thanks.

Rogaine and generic 5 percent minoxidil. are 50 percent PPG, 30 percent alcohol and 20 percent distilled water. (Doctor Lee reverses the PPG and alcohol percentages.)

The add'l PPG does provide more absorption though Radio. I read an old Upjohn article or "blurb" that stated this fact. The thing is though, if the medicine is delivered, not washed off, it would, I imagine, work its way down into the lower layers of the scalp eventually? I don't know about that "white powder" SE is seeing though!! I never see that.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mer said:

Thanks.

Rogaine is 50% PPG 30% alcohol

Dr Lees is 30% PPG 50% alcohol

Minoxidil absorption peaks at around 90% alcohol (if I remember the figure Bryan posted some while back)

PPG does increase absorption, but its main role is thought to be to extend shelf life.

Now, if alcohol has increased volatility compared to ppg then we might have an issue. (and alcohol is highly volatile).

Volatility will also be an issue with Rogaine being exposed to the air for 3 or 4 hours.

SE-freak said:
Really? my range remains unchanged after the feminization effect of nizoral and finasteride. I can shoot that stereo from here.

Sure, I can change stations and tune it a little, I just can swap CDs yet.
[/quote]