Diet

cs2

Reaction score
majorsixth said:
Your diet is pretty much the same as mine. You don't make reference to root vegetables like potatoes. I don't eat any root vegetable due to them being too statchy.

I enjoyed MisterE posts, and agree that diet is significant in the fight against androgenetic alopecia. Having said that i disagree with his aprroach as a vegan.

I don’t eat potato too. They are too starchy. It will affect the insulin balance. But I eat carrot and some other juicy root vegetable occasionally because they have many good phytochemicals.

And I eat flaxseed everyday too (for omega 3 fatty acid)

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:
majorsixth said:
Your diet is pretty much the same as mine. You don't make reference to root vegetables like potatoes. I don't eat any root vegetable due to them being too statchy.

I enjoyed MisterE posts, and agree that diet is significant in the fight against androgenetic alopecia. Having said that i disagree with his aprroach as a vegan.

I don’t eat potato too. They are too starchy. It will affect the insulin balance. But I eat carrot and some other juicy root vegetable occasionally because they have many good phytochemicals.

Apart from flaxseed i would say we are following the same road.

Please keep me update with your progress, i will do the same.

cs2

Reaction score
majorsixth said:
cs2 said:
majorsixth said:

Apart from flaxseed i would say we are following the same road.

Please keep me update with your progress, i will do the same.

Sure. I take photos every month. And i will update the progress.
By the way, if you have found anything on life style that is good to hair, please let me know too. Thank you.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@rogar6

@cs2

Not to say that you are right or that you are wrong. But here is my personal experience.

When I first noticed considerable hair loss, I tried a combo things that were working and would count hairs nightly. At one point, I had it baselined at a certain # of hairs but it decreased down to 9 hairs for a few nights. That's right, 9 hairs. I couldn't for the LIFE of me understand what reduced it down to 9 and when it shot up again, i thought, what did I do? I thought well I've been eating ALOT of sugar...Nah...couldn't be. Then I thought, on the days my hair count was low, I'd hardly eaten any carbs or sugar. Wow, maybe it could? Hmmm. So I was never able to get it back down to that low of a count again ( I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweets and pastas) and carbs was the only thing I could see.

Well, fast forward a few yrs when my hair loss had dramatically increased, i'm on a hair loss board and a woman saying she'd gotten hers under control alot better. I asked her how and she said she changed her diet. Mostly plant based, little to no processed foods and certainly NO sugar and low low carbs. I just stared at it. This lady was going though menopause where her body was mimicking that of a mans, little estrogen and much test and dht. But when she loaded up on veggies, lean proteins and little to no carbs, her shedding she said greatly subsided. -- My mind immediately went bk to the time of 9 shedded hairs when all I did was eat healthy and removed the carbs.

I love carbs and sweets and pasta's so much, coudn't and hadn't given them up.

So fast forward to now, where i have DRAMATIC hair loss, at say a norwood 4 (appears i have DUPE, general thinning AND receding hair line), I run into the same lady again on the board in a similar thread, she's STILL staving off her shedding and even have some regrowth by diet and lifestyle changes. Says when she eats more carbs and processed foods, her hair sheds alot. But she said when she eats a veg based, non processed based diet, specifically adding alot of great veggies, her hair loss and some regrowth happens. She said her hair had thickened. I run into yet another lady who was saying the same. So, i must admit, there is something to this (at least for some).... Sooooooo I'm losing MAJOR hair and certain nights, my shed DRAMATICALLY decrease, say but as much as 70% (my current regimen reduced shed to 100 hairs a day as my steady, consistent baseline, but these days I'd be down to say 30 ish hairs lost) I'm thinking what did I do? I realized, the days the hair loss was down were the days AFTER the days my fav restaurant is closed and I don't buy my beloved pasta salad! And I buy a large bowl full. (Pasta is VERY VERY carb heavy. AND white products also inflame the body so a HUGE double wammy! Or wammies may I say!) But the very next day they are open (yes I buy it 5 days a week) and I eat it, the following day I would have 100 hairs lost as opposed to 30-ish on the other days.

Yes, I am VERY VERY VERY carb sensitive. Inflammation sensitive. Research shows me that carbs increases it and evidently, I am VERY sensitive.

I'm working on doing something about this. lol.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
@rogar6

@cs2

Not to say that you are right or that you are wrong. But here is my personal experience.

When I first noticed considerable hair loss, I tried a combo things that were working and would count hairs nightly. At one point, I had it baselined at a certain # of hairs but it decreased down to 9 hairs for a few nights. That's right, 9 hairs. I couldn't for the LIFE of me understand what reduced it down to 9 and when it shot up again, i thought, what did I do? I thought well I've been eating ALOT of sugar...Nah...couldn't be. Then I thought, on the days my hair count was low, I'd hardly eaten any carbs or sugar. Wow, maybe it could? Hmmm. So I was never able to get it back down to that low of a count again ( I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweets and pastas) and carbs was the only thing I could see.

Well, fast forward a few yrs when my hair loss had dramatically increased, i'm on a hair loss board and a woman saying she'd gotten hers under control alot better. I asked her how and she said she changed her diet. Mostly plant based, little to no processed foods and certainly NO sugar and low low carbs. I just stared at it. This lady was going though menopause where her body was mimicking that of a mans, little estrogen and much test and dht. But when she loaded up on veggies, lean proteins and little to no carbs, her shedding she said greatly subsided. -- My mind immediately went bk to the time of 9 shedded hairs when all I did was eat healthy and removed the carbs.

I love carbs and sweets and pasta's so much, coudn't and hadn't given them up.

So fast forward to now, where i have DRAMATIC hair loss, at say a norwood 4 (appears i have DUPE, general thinning AND receding hair line), I run into the same lady again on the board in a similar thread, she's STILL staving off her shedding and even have some regrowth by diet and lifestyle changes. Says when she eats more carbs and processed foods, her hair sheds alot. But she said when she eats a veg based, non processed based diet, specifically adding alot of great veggies, her hair loss and some regrowth happens. She said her hair had thickened. I run into yet another lady who was saying the same. So, i must admit, there is something to this (at least for some).... Sooooooo I'm losing MAJOR hair and certain nights, my shed DRAMATICALLY decrease, say but as much as 70% (my current regimen reduced shed to 100 hairs a day as my steady, consistent baseline, but these days I'd be down to say 30 ish hairs lost) I'm thinking what did I do? I realized, the days the hair loss was down were the days AFTER the days my fav restaurant is closed and I don't buy my beloved pasta salad! And I buy a large bowl full. (Pasta is VERY VERY carb heavy. AND white products also inflame the body so a HUGE double wammy! Or wammies may I say!) But the very next day they are open (yes I buy it 5 days a week) and I eat it, the following day I would have 100 hairs lost as opposed to 30-ish on the other days.

Yes, I am VERY VERY VERY carb sensitive. Inflammation sensitive. Research shows me that carbs increases it and evidently, I am VERY sensitive.

I'm working on doing something about this. lol.

Your story mirrors mine from years ago. I would experience days where the hair loss was almost zero to days where it was everywhere.

In retrospect i used to eat nothing but carbs, especially lots of bread and honey.

Yeah , i understand that it's hard to make a life changing decision with such a diet like very low carbs, it hasn't exactly been a picnic for my self i can say !

Still, i have to also say that since coming off finasteride, and starting this diet i feel fantastic healthwise, i have that much energy i have trouble sleeping at night. My mind reacts much quicker. As for hair loss i rarely see any hairs falling out, the itching and inflammation have completely stopped, thank goodness. because that part of male pattern baldness is an absolute nightmare.

Anytime that i feel that i'm weakening i just think about the benefits i'm getting from this diet. Works wonders !

Bet24

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but no way you will regrow that much hair as that latin guy.

I really think is a scam just to sell that book.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Bet24 said:
Maybe, but no way you will regrow that much hair as that latin guy.

I really think is a scam just to sell that book.

This is another good point being raised. regrowth I have been on this diet for around ten months and although i can say what hair i have left appears to be stable at the moment i don't make any claims of regrowth. But i obviously still have high hopes. If such regrowth should happen with this diet then i will be the first to report it with photos. For now i guess i shall have to be satisfied with my hair remaining stable, that too is an achievement so far in my book.

Btw Bet24... Although i have achieved stability with my hair loss with this diet i do agree that the results for that guy within the pictures are most likely to be hyped up to sell the book.

Bet24

Established Member
Reaction score
majorsixth said:
Btw Bet24... Although i have achieved stability with my hair loss with this diet i do agree that the results for that guy within the pictures are most likely to be hyped up to sell the book.

Yeah, a good diet will help to slow down the loss, I have no doub because I changed my diet and now my body its much better than before, including my hair.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow so you all have been able to at least stop the shedding with this anti inflammatory diet? Let me first ask how many hairs were you shedding? Because I've as much as 300 on a day and I'm just wondering can 1 go from their to hardly any hair shedding.

I have hopes.

I'm going to come off of spironolactone and i'm preparting to do so.

Also i'm going to do the saw palmetto extract as in clinicals its been proven to help. And the other anti inflammatory agents (pumpk seed oil, beta sis, etc) which thank god i've found all in 1 item, even with standardized levels of fatty acids, in NOW's Prostate Health.

Are any of you on this diet using the saw palm extract or other internal supps?

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
rwhairlosstalk said:
Wow so you all have been able to at least stop the shedding with this anti inflammatory diet? Let me first ask how many hairs were you shedding? Because I've as much as 300 on a day and I'm just wondering can 1 go from their to hardly any hair shedding.

I have hopes.

I'm going to come off of spironolactone and i'm preparting to do so.

Also i'm going to do the saw palmetto extract as in clinicals its been proven to help. And the other anti inflammatory agents (pumpk seed oil, beta sis, etc) which thank god i've found all in 1 item, even with standardized levels of fatty acids, in NOW's Prostate Health.

Are any of you on this diet using the saw palm extract or other internal supps?

To be honest i stopped counting hairs along time ago because it makes you depressed, but at a guess 30-40.

You have no doubt read many threads that talk about a low carb diets helping hair loss, along with others saying it doesn't. So the first point to remember is different treatments don't always work for all. Let take finasteride for instants, there are lots of success stories and lots of failures. The only way to know if a treatment approach is going to benefit you is to try it.

I have never used Saw Palmetto, but i don't see any reason why it wouldn't complement a low carb diet. The more you can do to slow down the progression of androgenetic alopecia the better.

Good luck

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhh, lol.

If you were only shedding 30-40 hairs before changing your diet, you were not a hard case. Before I started on spironolactone, I could shed between 180-300 hairs a day. (thats with my reg high carb diet).

But yeah, I'm slowly moving there.

And slowly moving away from spironolactone. On another all female board, I've read of 2 different women who have found tumors in their breasts while using spironolactone, which is noted for being carcinogenic. So we will see how this goes.

BUT

I plan to use an internal anyway, saw palm extract and other stuff. Yes, wish me the best because I may need it.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rwhairlosstalk

If you were only shedding 30-40 hairs before changing your diet, you were not a hard case.

Yeah, i see your point, but there have been times when my shedding was really heavy in my early on set of male pattern baldness.

Before I started on spironolactone, I could shed between 180-300 hairs a day. (thats with my reg high carb diet).

I used finasteride for 4 years and that helped alot, but, it caused me sides which i wanted to get away from. The diet as reduced the shedding to almost zero, or if they are falling i'm not seeing them.

I've read of 2 different women who have found tumors in their breasts while using spironolactone, which is noted for being carcinogenic.

There are always risks with taking mediactions, you have to weight up the benefits against those risks.

I plan to use an internal anyway, saw palm extract and other stuff.

Although Saw Palmetto is a natural extract, it still reduces dht, and if enough of it is used it can present sides similar to that of finasteride/propecia.

Yes, wish me the best because I may need it.

Ok good luck once again.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
For the last 2 days i have been monitoring my blood glucose first thing mornings and 1 hour after eating as it's important to actually monitor what's happening inside as well as visual appearance.

This mornings fasting reading was 3.3 mol . Normal blood glucose is approximately 5.5 mol. So i'm slightly low. 1 hour after breakfast it was 5.1 mol. still slightly low which is excellent news because it means that my blood glucose was not elevated at all above normal levels because i never bombarding my system with carbs.

Now conventional medical practice states that it's normal for blood glucose to be elevated after meals provided it returns to normal within the hour under the influence of insulin, however i don't agree with this and think blood glucose should never be elevated.

I believe that blood glucose being elevated for periods of 1 hour plus 3 times a day over the years cause damage to the body, and this damage becomes evident over time as we age.

For my self i intend to keep my blood glucose within 5.5mol at all times, as this will also prevent any fungal infections [candida] I bet there are lots of guys out there with scalp candidasis which can cause hair loss, keeping low blood sugar stops it thriving

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes is can and will damage the body if not regulated to normal ranges.

Cinnamon and chromium (try to get natural form) can help. They helped to reduce my readings.

Also low glycemic foods.
For ex, I never thought much about foods that read "Sugar free" but still had a considerable amount of carbs. IF the carbs come from SUGAR ALCOHOLS most of them are LOW GLYCEMIC and it is indeed MUCH better for you even if the carb levels are not much lower than the regular product. Because the TYPE of sweetener can be a LOW GLYCEMIC sweetener and therefore much better for you.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Cs2

When i first started this diet my hair would lay flat when it was around half an inch long, but now more and more single hairs appear to be standing up to attention and growing faster then the other hairs. I think these hairs are returning to the normal growth cycle.

Are you see any changes like this?

cs2

Reaction score
I always have some hairs growing faster than the others before and after the diet.
But it is still a good sign that there are some strong hair growing fast.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Probiotics, acidophilus Do any of you guys incorporate these in your diet? What sources do you find the best, Yogurt, cheese, or tablets form?

uk100

Reaction score
majorsixth said:
Just lately there as been a lot of posts over on HLH about diet and hair loss. Now as you might imagine not may other posters want to accept that diet is involved in male pattern baldness. I actually believe it's a shame that others think this way, because as the saying goes You are what you eat must count for something How can diet not affect hair?

It seems that any other options other then drugs is just laughed off. It would be interesting to see if the majority on here also rate diet a pointless approach to preventing the progession of hair loss?

I personally quit finasteride ten months ago after around 4 years use and started a low carb diet. I was warned by others that i would end up regretting it. I can honestly say that i feel much better and have not had any further loss of hair.

I still use minoxidil liquid 5%. This is something i would worry about stopping because of heavy shedding associated.

diet does play a major factor in male pattern baldness and hair loss in general, Japanese men have much better diets then UK and American men, because of this they are less likely to go bald or to face such a severe case of baldness

s.a.f

Reaction score
uk100 said:
diet does play a major factor in male pattern baldness and hair loss in general, Japanese men have much better diets then UK and American men, because of this they are less likely to go bald or to face such a severe case of baldness

How come Japanese men living in the west dont go bald then? Same with Mexicans. And how come there are plenty of bald caucasian men with good diets?

Also how come some of the countries in the world where people have to survive on a very poor diet and malnutrition is common have the best hair? China, Phillipines ect?