Diet

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
The main benefits from a good diet will be good glucose control, vitamin,and mineral intake. When the blood glucose is constantly being elevated by the consumption of carbs, as in the western diet, the cells begin to become resistant to insulin this can leads to serious health issues in some.

I have done my own tests on my self with different foods and checked their effect upon my blood glucose levels, and the amount of time they remained elevated. Sorry to say but all carbs caused the highest readings and kept them that way the longest. It's my opinion carbs should be really limited within the diet.

Fat consumptions like cheese barely elevated the glucose level above fasting 5.5 mmol/l

s.a.f

Reaction score
As I said carbs are about 90% of the diet in most 3rd world countries and yet most of them have better hair than the west.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't compare the third world people who are so poor they generally get to eat a small bowl of rice per day, against the greedy westerner who stuffs them selves daily will nothing but carbs. Bread,rice, potatoes, cereals, pasta, crisps, biscuits, cakes, icecream,doughnuts, chips, sweets the list goes on. Infact the majority of the foods within the supermarkets are of a carbohydrate in nature.

uk100

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
uk100 said:
diet does play a major factor in male pattern baldness and hair loss in general, Japanese men have much better diets then UK and American men, because of this they are less likely to go bald or to face such a severe case of baldness

How come Japanese men living in the west dont go bald then? Same with Mexicans. And how come there are plenty of bald caucasian men with good diets?

Also how come some of the countries in the world where people have to survive on a very poor diet and malnutrition is common have the best hair? China, Phillipines ect?

because their diet is better then a western diet, it is more healthy and contains more nutritious food

hair loss effects all races, I'm not saying oriental men don't go bald, instead I was trying to say that becasue they have such a good lifestyle and diet this will help prevent and reduce the potential for male pattern baldness

Studies have shown that diets rich with animal fats cause excessive amounts of testosterone to be released into the blood stream. Similarly, people who ate diets low in fat had significantly less testosterone released in their system. High levels of testosterone directly affect the amount of hair loss a person experiences

however a lot of oriental men who do experience hair loss or graying hair cover it up, there was a funny video online of a Japanese newsreader/presenter who's toupe fell to the floor and the guy just acted as normal while one of his colleagues stared at his bald head and then at the toupe on the floor

s.a.f

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I think if you've got the predisposition then that's it! Diet could possibly slightly alter the situation by way of less triggers etc but that's all IMO.

I've got a fat lazy, annoying friend. (He's pissed me off lately :whistle: )

He comes round my house drinks 6 cans of coke in less than 2 hours, sometimes less than 1 hour. He'll eat dinner and think nothing of consuming a whole packet of biscuits for desert one after the other without stopping for air. He smokes exactly the same. He's f****ing huge, 27 stone huge, he's so huge he's broke my sofa, no sh*t!

Norwood 0.5 at 31 years of age. Never gonna go bald.

:agree: 100%

I was born to be bald. Theres no diet or lifestyle changes that could have ever changed that.
Ive always known it was coming and spent my whole life from about 13 looking for clues as to how I could alter my fate I lead a healthy lifestyle made sure I ate healthily and looked around at bald men. In my ignorance I was sure that there must be some kind of connection. But the one thing I noticed was bald men come from all walks of life some are healthy some not, some fat some thin ect ect.

Even if diet and lifestyle can adjust things I'd say theres no way it can effect anything more than just a few % so in other words it still is'nt going to be worthwhile.

And the 3rd world diet although lower in fat often contains virtually no nutrition and yet I'd bet that if you went to such a place and fed a select group of men a western diet there would be no change at all in their hair.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
monty1978 said:
I think if you've got the predisposition then that's it! Diet could possibly slightly alter the situation by way of less triggers etc but that's all IMO.

He comes round my house drinks 6 cans of coke in less than 2 hours, sometimes less than 1 hour. He'll eat dinner and think nothing of consuming a whole packet of biscuits for desert one after the other without stopping for air. He smokes exactly the same. He's f****ing huge, 27 stone huge, he's so huge he's broke my sofa, no sh*t!

:agree: 100%

I was born to be bald. Theres no diet or lifestyle changes that could have ever changed that.

Although I respect that may be true for you, that may not be true for all with hair loss. It certainly isn't for me.

I can tell you,without a shadow of a doubt, that when I eat a vegetable rich diet, with LOW to no carbs, I lose ALOT less hair. So much so that when I write down what has worked for me, it's on the same list with my medications or internals. Yes, it's been THAT effective. Actually more affective because it will occur quicker than most of my meds will. spironolactone takes 6-8 wks to show an affect. But as for diet, for instance, when I eat alot of candy, the VERY NEXT DAY I get ALOT more hairs that shed. EVEN when I've been on my spironolactone for mo's and I'm settled with all my other internals, a bunch of carbs and processed foods seem to OVERRIDE, yep you heard me, OVERRIDE, my medicine. I'm not trying so much to make a point here, I'm just tell you what has actually happened to me. And how my body works. It actually makes me very mad because those are the things that I like...LOVE..to eat. I love a very high carb diet. I don't love veggies. I HATE them. But when I eat them, it changes my rate of hairloss dramatically.

And you may say, well maybe you don't have male pattern baldness. Oh yes I do. I have miniaturization. I used to have a head full of THICK horse hairs. But I've seen a many fall out of my head that are...whispy, wimp hairs. Plus the area that's most affected by dht is actually alot finer now than the rest, which is scary. Plus, my hair line is receding. The middle in the front has moved back, while the temples have moved back dramatically at a NW2.5 level. Not totally bald at the temples, but the hair is very very see thru there, has almost ceased to grow, and very very very short.

I think it's an individual thing. You have to learn what works for you. And a few days ago when I ate Subway for 2 days (removed over half of the bread, ate the sandwich with 1 side of bread removed, and had the server to remove the extra meat of the bread when making the sandwich) wheat not white, and requested enough raw vegetables for 2 servings of veggies per six inch), I lost 5 freakin hairs. 5 hairs!!!! Mind you, I didn't eat any other carbs or processed foods on those days (2 busy). And I'm on spironolactone 25mg/day, 1 saw palmetto 450 mg, MSM powder 1200mg, Nioxin vit 1 per day, and nizoral every 3-5 days.

But again, when I ate a HUGE meal of pasta and candy on other days, the very next day I shed upwards of 90 something hairs. Even while on all that stuff above.

And this has happened over, and over and over and ....I note what I eat and count hairs daily.

In other words, for me, inflammation counts. Internal diet and inflammation.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:

LMBO AT THIS ENTIRE POST!!!! WHA HA HA HA!!!

But, see, when I drink sodas say even 1, along with a bunch of carbs like biscuts, I shed a horse load of hairs the next day!!!!!

Yeah predisposition is a $itch!

And I think that's the key. Some are gonna go bald, period. Some are just predisposed.

And I'm hoping that I am just, predisposed. Because as much as I hate eating a healthy diet, it really WOULD be a blessing because it would be a way to control the balding where as some may not.

Now since the anti inflammatory diet seems to greatly reduce the shed, the next key is to do it long term (ohhh brother!) to see if it causes regrowth.

(Long sigh)

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
As I said carbs are about 90% of the diet in most 3rd world countries and yet most of them have better hair than the west.

Yeah but they aren't eating LOADS of processed foods (dressings, mac n cheese, burgers, packaged rice dishes with powders), with there carbs. Plus, those carbs are likely natural foods to. I've noticed, wheat carbs and white carbs which are processed, treats me differently. I lose less hair with the former.

All I'm sayin is, try it, if it doens't work for you, then it doesn't.

But it may and is working for some. That's all.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe the truth as already been pointed out earlier by Rogar6 post.

ADDICTION TO CARBS

Too many are ready to call diet a basic waste of time because they are conditioned to carbs through childhood. They can't give them up much like a alcoholic struggles to stop booze.

Reducing carbs in your diet is a major life style change, It's easier to say what's the point ? .

I have been on this diet ten months and i know it's slowed down my hair loss to almost zero. I have been down the road of propecia for 4 years, and although i won't lie and say it didn't help i beleive the diet to be more successful.

But i also have to say it's really hard going, because i miss the foods that i was conditioned to eat throughout my youth.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Another example of ADDICTION is obesity. Look at the growing amount of seriously overweight people. They can see that high carb diets are killing them, the doctor even reinforces it, but, they still continue. The only answer usually comes in the form of surgery gastric by pass.

Examples of the above show you exactly what the wrong diet can do to you !

Then there's the issues of homeless people who appear to have a great head of hair, yet they have a poor diet and get drunk most of the day?

Well the first point you should realise is that alcohol actually lowers blood glucose levels, so although they may be deficient in the b complex, protein etc they are most likely to be much better off then those walking around with out of control blood glucose.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Alcohol also lowers testosterone and increases eastrogen.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by s.a.f
Alcohol also lowers testosterone and increases eastrogen.

Yeah your absolutely correct that alcohol increases estrogen . But, so does androgen blockers b**ch tits are a common side effect that many guys worry about while using propecia, duts, spironolactone, etc.

ctulhu

Reaction score
I am continuously amazed by the amount of one-sided arguments this whole topic always seems to attract. For some reason, it always has to be THIS extreme or THAT extreme, NO middle-ground whatsoever.

Why is it so hard to consider that maybe BOTH of the perceived reasons for baldness may be attributing to the issue, together? The fact that men without the genetic disposition for balding will not lose hair is scientifically proven without a doubt, however unhealthy they may live their life.
Why is it so inconceivable that people who are predisposed to balding may benefit from a healthy diet though?
Diet controls a huge variety of health issues all around the human body, so why can't a healthy diet influence something comparatively minor as the growth of scalp hair, when at the same time it's also proven to majorly influence other areas, like for example the quality of your skin, your digestion, your ability to concentrate or what have you?

You always read the same stupid arguments. "I know a guy who takes drugs everyday and only eats peanuts, HE'S still got all his hair. Diet takes no part in hairloss." or "I know a guy who only eats berries and fresh spring water while running a triathlon daily and HE'S completely bald! Healthy living makes no difference in hairloss."

I honestly think that people simply want to believe that instead of doing something comparatively hard like watching what they eat and exercising daily , they can do nothing else than take a couple of mostly ineffective medications and go "Whelp, tried everything I can, now to whine about how it's not my fault." The main issue is propably that something like a healthy livestyle is extremely hard to maintain, and almost impossible to scientifically link to the progress of hairloss, which is different in every person.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ctulhu
The main issue is propably that something like a healthy livestyle is extremely hard to maintain, and almost impossible to scientifically link to the progress of hairloss, which is different in every person.

What you say here brings us back to Rogar6 It is extremely hard to change your habits when you have been raised to live in that fashion.

You are completely right about there not being much evidence for diet helping hair loss, but, you have to take into account that such extensive studies in to this area costs money, and nobody is likely fund them, because there can be no return. So such studies are not viable, but, drugs on the other hand are very viable, thus you will find lots of evidence to say they are the only answer.

s.a.f

Reaction score
If I thought for 1 second that switching my diet would work I'd consider it a small price to pay.
I already eat healthy for optimum nutrition and to stay in shape with no regard to taste. Theres absolutley no proof that any of these diets have actually accomplished anything.

We all know the benifits of healthy eating but stopping m.p.b is not one of them.

Go on any short persons forum and there are posters on there swearing that drinking milk will add inches to your stature but any sensible person knows this is bull5hit. If you were born with short gentics then you will be short.

Its all just clutching at straws.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
If I thought for 1 second that switching my diet would work I'd consider it a small price to pay.
I already eat healthy for optimum nutrition and to stay in shape with no regard to taste. Theres absolutley no proof that any of these diets have actually accomplished anything.

We all know the benifits of healthy eating but stopping m.p.b is not one of them.

Go on any short persons forum and there are posters on there swearing that drinking milk will add inches to your stature but any sensible person knows this is bull5hit. If you were born with short gentics then you will be short.

Its all just clutching at straws.

Ok. i respect your views. Thanx for your input to the thread

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
I do find it strange that lots of guys are willing to give finasteride a try even up to a year without results in some cases, infact many report greater loss when starting it. Yet with the diet it won't exacerbate the hair loss at all, so it simply can't hurt to give it a good try.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ctulhu said:
I am continuously amazed by the amount of one-sided arguments this whole topic always seems to attract. For some reason, it always has to be THIS extreme or THAT extreme, NO middle-ground whatsoever.

Why is it so hard to consider that maybe BOTH of the perceived reasons for baldness may be attributing to the issue, together?

I agree with you totally. That's why I said in my most, for me. It works for me. I KNOW that diet has a HUGE impact on my hair loss because I've tested it to many times. Although I've found out by accident as i didn't intend to eat extra healthy just did and my hair loss count would drop dramatically.

BUT by the same token I do believe others who say they've done the same thing, PROVEN their diet has no impact on their hair loss, either they eat healthy every day or when they have they've seen no reduction. And there's no better proof than when it's been proven to either work or not work, for you.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rwhairlosstalk

BUT by the same token I do believe others who say they've done the same thing, PROVEN their diet has no impact on their hair loss, either they eat healthy every day or when they have they've seen no reduction. And there's no better proof than when it's been proven to either work or not work, for you.

Yeah, but you have to take into account that some don't follow the low carb diet strictly.

The diet that i follow is almost zero carbs, infact i'm in ketosis all the time. I believe that although hair loss is genetic, diet really does help a lot more then some want to give credit for. I guess being able to just pop the pill is an attractive option.