Diet

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Just lately there as been a lot of posts over on HLH about diet and hair loss. Now as you might imagine not may other posters want to accept that diet is involved in male pattern baldness. I actually believe it's a shame that others think this way, because as the saying goes You are what you eat must count for something How can diet not affect hair?

It seems that any other options other then drugs is just laughed off. It would be interesting to see if the majority on here also rate diet a pointless approach to preventing the progession of hair loss?

I personally quit finasteride ten months ago after around 4 years use and started a low carb diet. I was warned by others that i would end up regretting it. I can honestly say that i feel much better and have not had any further loss of hair.

I still use minoxidil liquid 5%. This is something i would worry about stopping because of heavy shedding associated.

s.a.f

Reaction score
m.p.b is geneticly inherited. Your hairloss is programmed by your DNA you might aswell try to link diet and penis size.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i guess your another one against diet helping. But, i will say this, although most cases of hair loss are genetic, you have to take into account that diet will influence the rate of androgen production. Androgen sensitivity is what hair loss is all about.

They once said that diet didn't have a profound effect on acne, but todays studies have proven this to be untrue, as diet certain exacerbates acne, so why can't it also exacerbate hair loss?

cs2

Reaction score
of cause diet and life style will affect hair loss and grow.

I have changed my diet for 6 months and there is hair regrowth on my vertex now.
I can see them coming out.
So I strongly believed that there is a link of life style and hair.

And I have put more attention on diet, life style and sex activity now. Because these activities will affect your body physiologically, from hair loss to heart disease, diabetes and blood pressure. It is very simple.

It is just so strange that people don't believed it.
After you eat something, they will digest, absorb, integrated into your body.
They may become a building material, enzyme or toxin that are parts of your body metabolism.

The old wisdom has told us that you are what you eat. It is true.

I will keep my healthy eating habit and exercise for the rest of my life.
When comparing taking synthetic drug that alter hormone level dramatically, I think change to a good diet is much better.

But everyone is different. I am not telling anyone to stop taking drug. But there is a natural way other than drug.

Reaction score
Sex activity? Really?

It would really be nice to post some before and after pics so we can see the improvement in your hair from a change in your diet.

Also, are you using anything else like finasteride or minoxidil? Because if you are I would attribute the increase in your hair density to those rather than the change in your diet, whatever that change was.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cs2, are u saying diet :whistle: and not playing with your lizard :jackit: cured your baldness? :freak:

cs2

Reaction score
I would not say my baldness has cured. And I don’t think diet is the cure too. Because I still have hair loss. My hair just gets better.

small_IMG_1423.jpg

small_IMG_0324.jpg

Above is my hair regrowth. The second picture has longer hair, so it looks better than actual.

I started taking finasteride and Mino for many years. But the hair is still losing. So I think that there must be some other reasons.

And there is no other solution in the mainstream medicine. Any thing other then finasteride and Mino, the mainstream just has two answers.
1. Hair loss is genetic.
2. There is no evident of something something……….

When someone answers you in this way, actually they are saying – “I don't know the solution because there is no other solution." So it is just a waste of time to depend on them to give you solution other than finasteride and Mino.

After reading many books and website, I decided to change my life style, eating habit and sex activity. At least it is good to general health and not harm.

And about sex activity, I don't need to give up sex completely. Sex is natural and pleasurable. There is no reason to give up. Every guy should have sex.

The only thing is you and your sex partner should both satisfy from sex. Because your mind will affect the physiology of your body.

Someone may say your body cannot distinguish whether you have sex with your wife, girl friend, a sex partner, a prostitute or your left and right hand. The satisfaction should be the same. Yes, your body cannot, but you can.

Let me give you an example. Many years ago, there is a news about a people was being murdered. And the murderer has cut off the flesh of the victim and sold as steak. One customer found a bullet in the "steak" and complained to the health authority. And then they find out in laboratory that actually it is meat of human. The murderer was arrested.

When the people know that they have eaten a human, they vomited, or get sick of their stomach. It is an example of how the minds affect the body physiology. Your body cannot distinguish whether it is a meat of human or steak. On the point of view of nutrition, meat of human is better, because it has the same composition of human. But after the people knew that they have eaten human, the digestive system gets responded.

In the same way, masturbation is the least satisfied sex. I don’t think your body response to it in the same way as having sex with a real girl. In my experience, better sexual satisfaction, better hair.

But don't ask me to prove it, because I cannot. I am neither a scientist nor research institute. I don't have the money, resources and technique to prove it.

By the way, if you find finasteride and Mino is good, keeps taking them. They are FDA proved drug. It is important to take them for fighting hair loss. Do not stop the drug and rely on diet and life style only.

I am only saying life style may also play an important role. But everyone is difference, it works on me, it may not work on you.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:

I have changed my diet for 6 months and there is hair regrowth on my vertex now.

And I have put more attention on diet, life style and sex activity now. Because these activities will affect your body physiologically, from hair loss to heart disease, diabetes and blood pressure. It is very simple.

They may become a building material, enzyme or toxin that are parts of your body metabolism.

When comparing taking synthetic drug that alter hormone level dramatically, I think change to a good diet is much better.

But everyone is different. I am not telling anyone to stop taking drug. But there is a natural way other than drug.

Looking at your before, after pictures i think there is a slight improvement.

I have been on a low carb diet for 10 months, before i started this this diet i was always experiencing inflammation and itching.

It's true that making a judgement on improvements is difficult while using treatments such as finasteride, min, But i stopped the finasteride at the same time which only leaves minoxidil. Studies show that minoxidil does not give growth after an initial period of a year. Infact the studies show that the hair counts, weights begin to drop and the user slowly returns to baseline. Although i don't agree with BRYAN on all issues, i think you will find that he supports these studies to be accurate in their out come Since i had also used minoxidil for around 4 years prior to my change in diet i can't attribute any improvement to it's continued use.

There was a guy on HLH called MisterE who claimed that diet was the main cause of hair loss, he was basically ridiculed for his view. He posted some interesting studies. But like most good poster on their his fate was to be banned !

I would be interested in what your diet is now if you don't mind sharing.

Thanx

Redjackass

Reaction score
Yep, diet is important to hair, being deficient in vitamins, minerals will affect quality of hair. Biotin deficiency can cause hair loss, so i'm all for healthly diet.

oofah

Reaction score
I think a reason a lot of people discount diet as a method to stop hair loss or possibly regrow hair is the addiction to carbs and sugar most people have but don't consider it as such.

Sugar and starchy carbs are the reasons people are overweight and it's because of the addictive nature of sugar. To suggest that a crappy diet is the cause of hair loss is totally inconceivable because cutting out sugar, for most people, is inconceivable as well.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
rogar6 said:
I think a reason a lot of people discount diet as a method to stop hair loss or possibly regrow hair is the addiction to carbs and sugar most people have but don't consider it as such.

Sugar and starchy carbs are the reasons people are overweight and it's because of the addictive nature of sugar. To suggest that a crappy diet is the cause of hair loss is totally inconceivable because cutting out sugar, for most people, is inconceivable as well.

Absolutely agree about the addiction to sugar and carbs. This is a excellent point!

I read a study a month ago about cancer patients being put on a ketogenic diet as a last resort. I was amazed to read that more than 50% dropped out of the treartment because they couldn't stand a life without sugar and refind, processed foods.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:
I would not say my baldness has cured. And I don’t think diet is the cure too. Because I still have hair loss. My hair just gets better.

small_IMG_1423.jpg

small_IMG_0324.jpg

Above is my hair regrowth. The second picture has longer hair, so it looks better than actual.

I started taking finasteride and Mino for many years. But the hair is still losing. So I think that there must be some other reasons.

And there is no other solution in the mainstream medicine. Any thing other then finasteride and Mino, the mainstream just has two answers.
1. Hair loss is genetic.
2. There is no evident of something something……….

When someone answers you in this way, actually they are saying – “I don't know the solution because there is no other solution." So it is just a waste of time to depend on them to give you solution other than finasteride and Mino.

After reading many books and website, I decided to change my life style, eating habit and sex activity. At least it is good to general health and not harm.

And about sex activity, I don't need to give up sex completely. Sex is natural and pleasurable. There is no reason to give up. Every guy should have sex.

The only thing is you and your sex partner should both satisfy from sex. Because your mind will affect the physiology of your body.

Someone may say your body cannot distinguish whether you have sex with your wife, girl friend, a sex partner, a prostitute or your left and right hand. The satisfaction should be the same. Yes, your body cannot, but you can.

Let me give you an example. Many years ago, there is a news about a people was being murdered. And the murderer has cut off the flesh of the victim and sold as steak. One customer found a bullet in the "steak" and complained to the health authority. And then they find out in laboratory that actually it is meat of human. The murderer was arrested.

When the people know that they have eaten a human, they vomited, or get sick of their stomach. It is an example of how the minds affect the body physiology. Your body cannot distinguish whether it is a meat of human or steak. On the point of view of nutrition, meat of human is better, because it has the same composition of human. But after the people knew that they have eaten human, the digestive system gets responded.

In the same way, masturbation is the least satisfied sex. I don’t think your body response to it in the same way as having sex with a real girl. In my experience, better sexual satisfaction, better hair.

But don't ask me to prove it, because I cannot. I am neither a scientist nor research institute. I don't have the money, resources and technique to prove it.

By the way, if you find finasteride and Mino is good, keeps taking them. They are FDA proved drug. It is important to take them for fighting hair loss. Do stop the drug and rely on diet and life style only.

I am only saying life style may also play an important role. But everyone is difference, it works on me, it may not work on you.
:jackit: :crazy: :freak:

cs2

Reaction score
majorsixth said:
cs2 said:

I have been on a low carb diet for 10 months, before i started this this diet i was always experiencing inflammation and itching.

It's true that making a judgement on improvements is difficult while using treatments such as finasteride, min, But i stopped the finasteride at the same time which only leaves minoxidil. Studies show that minoxidil does not give growth after an initial period of a year. Infact the studies show that the hair counts, weights begin to drop and the user slowly returns to baseline. Although i don't agree with BRYAN on all issues, i think you will find that he supports these studies to be accurate in their out come Since i had also used minoxidil for around 4 years prior to my change in diet i can't attribute any improvement to it's continued use.

There was a guy on HLH called MisterE who claimed that diet was the main cause of hair loss, he was basically ridiculed for his view. He posted some interesting studies. But like most good poster on their his fate was to be banned !

Thanx

My diet:
No sugar, No refined carbohydrate (include bread, noodle, white rice, pizza)
Less animal fat, moderate amount of meat.
No can food, No processed food (no artificial coloring, flavoring, and additive)
No trans fat, no hydrogenated oil, no refined oil, no fried food.
No dairy. No food contain milk.
More raw leafy vegetables, fruit (no skin), seeds, spout
Eat seaweed (full of mineral) and any kinds of mushroom.
Eat port skin one time per week (It is full of collagen and mammalian follicle. Remove all the fat)
Don’t eat too much.
Don’t eat before sleep.
Don’t eat any food that packed with plastic (They may have xenoestrogen. It is very bad to the tissue that sensitive to sex hormone, like hair and prostate gland)

I have read MisterE article on HLH too. I think he has the point, although I dont agree everything. But the people in HLH don't believe anything other than synthetic drug. They just banned all of them.

I recommend you don't depend on these forum for growing hair in natural way. Read books.

Reaction score
rogar6 said:

It's also inconceivable because I see many many males who are extremely overweight (so I know they haven't been exactly following a Pritkin diet) with full heads of hair. And I have seen men who are in very good shape and who obviously eat well, with few to any hairs on their heads at all. It's great if want to eat a super healthy diet for the sake of feeling better and maintaining maximum health. But don't count on it helping your hair that much frankly.

I doubt the director Ron Howard is bald because he's eaten a horrible diet all these years. Both his dad and brother Clint are bald in exactly the same way as Ron is.

oofah

Reaction score
Here's my personal experience regarding diet, hair loss and my theory that fits my personal situation: Maybe some men are born with genes that immunize them from any kind of hair loss(Ozzy Osbourne) while the rest are born with the potential to lose their hair and they're simply waiting for the "unknown trigger" to start the balding process. All I can offer is my personal experience regarding diet and hair loss. Mine began to fall out when I was 16/17. I began exercising with weights when I hit freshman year. I read all the bodybuilding mags that promoted constant eating of complex carbs and shitloads of protein and god forbid you didn't get up in the middle of the night to eat a chicken breast or you'd lose all your muscle! I eventually got into the habit of eating late at night... until recently.

My scalp would always itch if I ate just a couple cookies and I finally realized sugar was making my scalp itch in the typical male pattern baldness areas - crown and temples. What's worse, I was losing LOTS of hair along the sides and back of head. I took finasteride, dutasteride and ru and nothing stopped the loss or itch. When I cut out sugar AND used finasteride, dutasteride and ru is when things turned around. Also, something I find fascinating regarding my situation, when I stopped eating late at night (along with cutting out sugar) the hair along the sides and back hardly fell out and began to grow back in.

So who knows, maybe if I hadn't eaten so many carbs during my teen years and not read those mags about eating so much protein and complex carbs maybe my genes wouldn't have been triggered???

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:
majorsixth said:
cs2 said:

Thanx

My diet:
No sugar, No refined carbohydrate (include bread, noodle, white rice, pizza)
Less animal fat, moderate amount of meat.
No can food, No processed food (no artificial coloring, flavoring, and additive)
No trans fat, no hydrogenated oil, no refined oil, no fried food.
No dairy. No food contain milk.
More raw leafy vegetables, fruit (no skin), seeds, spout
Eat seaweed (full of mineral) and any kinds of mushroom.
Eat port skin one time per week (It is full of collagen and mammalian follicle. Remove all the fat)
Don’t eat too much.
Don’t eat before sleep.
Don’t eat any food that packed with plastic (They may have xenoestrogen. It is very bad to the tissue that sensitive to sex hormone, like hair and prostate gland)

I have read MisterE article on HLH too. I think he has the point, although I dont agree everything. But the people in HLH don't believe anything other than synthetic drug. They just banned all of them.

I recommend you don't depend on these forum for growing hair in natural way. Read books.

Your diet is pretty much the same as mine. You don't make reference to root vegetables like potatoes. I don't eat any root vegetable due to them being too statchy.

I enjoyed MisterE posts, and agree that diet is significant in the fight against androgenetic alopecia. Having said that i disagree with his aprroach as a vegan.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
MarkMayISAWESOME said:
rogar6 said:

It's also inconceivable because I see many many males who are extremely overweight (so I know they haven't been exactly following a Pritkin diet) with full heads of hair. And I have seen men who are in very good shape and who obviously eat well, with few to any hairs on their heads at all. It's great if want to eat a super healthy diet for the sake of feeling better and maintaining maximum health. But don't count on it helping your hair that much frankly.

I doubt the director Ron Howard is bald because he's eaten a horrible diet all these years. Both his dad and brother Clint are bald in exactly the same way as Ron is.

Yeah, i understand the reluctance of some to accept that diet plays a big role in hair loss. But, i believe that you need to do some serious biochemistry studing before making any judgement as to the reasons why the issues you point out exist.

There are many avenues that need to be looked into, here are just a few.

The first point that you need to investigate is insulin resistance. It's quite possible to have this condition for years without even knowing it. Yet, such a condition can cause serious damage over this time to your body. Most people associate the problem with high glucose levels but high insulin is also damaging.

Another interesting point is, that, glucose tolerance tests do not provide good results and millions of people have been given the all clear, when in actual fact they are prediabetic. A glycosylated hemoglobin test (HbA1c)
is the way to go.

You also need to look into AGE'S advanced glycation end products. These glycoproteins are formed when high sugars are present within the blood. The monosaccharides[glucose] stick to proteins. The process is ten time greater with fructose, galactose. Galactose being a monosacharide formed from the breakdown of disaccharide lactose. Glycation increases the rate of aging. Have you noticed that some people appear to age much quicker then others? Maybe this is down to monosaccharide control, if you have a excellent metabolism then the rate of glycation will be totally reduced. Being in visually good shape does not mean that your metabolism is functioning correctly.

Anyway i appreciate you views and thankyou for you contribution to the thread.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
majorsixth said:
Well i guess your another one against diet helping. But, i will say this, although most cases of hair loss are genetic, you have to take into account that diet will influence the rate of androgen production. Androgen sensitivity is what hair loss is all about.

Maybe, but I doubt that one's diet would make much of a difference in androgen production. Not really enough to make much of a difference in one's rate of balding. I would imagine that the choice of foods you make might produce....oh, I dunno....maybe a 5% difference in how much hair you lose because of male pattern baldness, but I doubt it's much more than that.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
majorsixth said:

Maybe, but I doubt that one's diet would make much of a difference in androgen production. Not really enough to make much of a difference in one's rate of balding. I would imagine that the choice of foods you make might produce....oh, I dunno....maybe a 5% difference in how much hair you lose because of male pattern baldness, but I doubt it's much more than that.

You may well be right Bryan. There isn't many if any studies which have looked in depth at what that percentage might be. but, your opinions are certainly valid. Thankyou.

Bet24

Established Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:

Ok man, that was just crazy. In that case, why will you loose more hair if you have "bad sex" with your hand?

Mind blowing stuff there man...