Dermarolling - Cancer Concern? Proteasome Inhibitor In Follica Patent

ISh1tYouNot

My Regimen
Reaction score
Proteasomes destroy non-functional proteins. If anything, it could be considered 'anti' cell proliferation (so """"""anti cancer"""""). So no, it's not a measure to prevent cancer, it is probably there just to encourage cell growth instead.

The problem with the pathways often mentioned in this kind of research is that they are basically controlling the cell growth/differentiation mechanisms. The same pathways are deregulated in cancer cells (that are basically super cells able to proliferate better than their neighbours and that can become malignant), which is why if you search for articles on these pathways you'll find cancer articles.

As for wounding/needling being linked to cancer, I doubt it. Skin is renewed so often... But I am no expert!

HairGrowthHunger

My Regimen
Reaction score
This study was linked to in the main dermarolling thread, page 96:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181128082747.htm

What interests me is the following sentence:

"To bypass the risk of tumors reported in other experiments that turned on the sonic hedgehog pathway, the NYU Langone team turned on only fibroblasts located just beneath the skin's surface where hair follicle roots (dermal papillae) first appear. "

It does not mention HOW this was done.

EDIT: I reached out to the lead researcher in the above mentioned study via email, and will report back if I receive any response.

Last edited:

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
I just read that the needles are too big to cut a single cell in half (thus wounding the DNA so a mutation and tumor can grow) . Although Basal cell carcinoma is a cancer type, however, it has only about 0,03% metastasis rate which is really low.
And a malignant melanoma (the most dangerous type of skin cancer by far), mostly grows on already existing moles..so i'm not sure if dermarolling could even create this type of cancer..

Bankai

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read the same post about needles being too big for cell cutting. If I remember right, it was only a blog writer without real scientific backround. I don't think you can trust his statements.

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
I read the same post about needles being too big for cell cutting. If I remember right, it was only a blog writer without real scientific backround. I don't think you can trust his statements.
But do we have any study with scientific background that supports the hypothesis that microneedling can cause cancer ? The study, which was posted on the first site shows cancerous effects on wounds in general ( They created a 0,5cm x 0,5cm wound) . Microneedling does only create microscopic wounds, which should be different. They have another effect on the skin. While the body react to big wounds with scarring, on microwounds (or scratches for example), there is no real scarring taking place.

Last edited:

Iah11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
to be honest this is very scary. there are lots of cancers that start due to chronic inflammation. derma rolling is essentially inducing inflammation and repair. to give an example, patients who have long term catheters are at risk of bladder cancer due to irritation from the catheter. same for ulcerative colitis and colorectal cancer. any cause of long term irritation is an obvious cancer risk

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, sunbeds are carcinogenic. Not only were they approved, but even after the cancer correlation became evident, they are still there
Yeah, I'd argue the UVB beds can be used to improve people's health if used in moderation

cratusg

Established Member
Reaction score
to be honest this is very scary. there are lots of cancers that start due to chronic inflammation. derma rolling is essentially inducing inflammation and repair. to give an example, patients who have long term catheters are at risk of bladder cancer due to irritation from the catheter. same for ulcerative colitis and colorectal cancer. any cause of long term irritation is an obvious cancer risk
I wonder if there is someone we can reach out to and maybe get a clearer answer about all of this.

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
Nearly everything nowadays causes inflammation ( even Androgenetic Alopecia is a chronic inflammation, so does it increase skin cancer on the scalp?). Even the whole junk food you get nearly everywhere today can cause cancer, but you still eat it i guess. All those things can increase cancer probability, but in the end it is still a bit of unluckiness to be one of them who gets cancer.
For example, in your example about bladder cancer due to catheter, the study i guess you were referring to showed that 60-100 out of 100.000 people get bladder cancer from urinary long term catheters (which are also older peoply mostly), whereas only 12 out of 100.000 got bladder cancer out of the control group. Although the risk is 5x - 8x as high, it is still only about 0,1 % of people with such a catheter to get bladder cancer.

I guess there is no exact study about microneedling and cancer risks, since this is quite a new topic, nobody knows about the long term effects. But microneedling is widely used, even with 1,5mm and i didn't hear from any cancer alerts. But this is still experimental, if you want to use it its your choice. But creating fear without exact studies is not the right way in my opinion.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've seen some dermapens market their product as hairloss effective when 0,3mm are used. So why are people using big 1,5mm nedles? What research do we really have?

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's for better absorption of topicals (minoxidil). 1,5 mm or more is for wounding / hair regrowth.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I sifted through one my pathology texts, Basic Pathology, Robbins/Angell and could find no correlation of wound-induced tumorgenesis or neoplasia, nor any related to inflammation in general.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not saying the Original Poster didn't have a valid concern.

However i'd find it hard to believe a company like follica would even consider wounding as a treatment if there was any cancer risk.

Even if it did cause cancer and they could somehow "bypass" that risk. With the sue happy world we are in it would only be a matter of time before they were in court. Even if they kept it a secret you know eventually in today's world someone would figure it out. I just feel it wouldn't be worth the risk.

AngryStrogenReceptor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is difficult to set such causality. But I think that is clear that micronedelling causes wounding repair, which is carried out through a lot of cellular mechanisms which involve molecular pathways (WNT, etc.) which are in somehow related to tumours. However, we don't even understand clearly how the alteration of this pathway is caused by cancer. Understanding the complexity of the molecular biology process is complex as f*** and we will need a lot of computational approaches (systems biology etc) to really make statements like this.

I my opinion (I have an advanced degree in molecular life sciences) inducing wound-repair process every 10 days can be a bit risky. But we don't know.

Regarding the UV-induced skin cancer, this is a completely different scenario and mechanism. UV causes modifications in the DNA structure such as dimerization etc.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling has been around for a long time for skin conditions in general and I am unaware of any case where someone got cancer. Consider there are also (retarded) people who just butcher their scalps on a regular basis and I've seen a single one of them be like "Brb guys, got cancer", same with rolling for the face.

You also get tons of tiny cuts and stuff in your mouth simply from eating, but I don't think too many people get mouth cancer because of it.

Seeñor Pelitos

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of someone getting some type of cancer after having a hair transplant? I honestly haven’t. There’s probably hundreds of hair transplants done daily in the US alone now imagine the world. I lived near a Bosley and previously a hair club and I would see quite a few patients a week walking out with bandages over their heads. Surgeries like that leave most part of the scalp wounded. I don’t think wounding causes cancer because then you would hear about it for this and various other things involving the skins repair process. That’s just my opinion and I’m not too educated on all this like a lot of you are.