Dermarolling - Cancer Concern? Proteasome Inhibitor In Follica Patent

HairGrowthHunger

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my 1st post on this forum. I have been interested in the dermarolling/dermapen hype that has recently taken over the site.
A couple items however have me concerned, and I am by no means an expert but wanted to reach out for thoughts.
I read through the new follica patent for their wounding device, and their device delivers a proteasome inhibitor while wounding. Could this be a preventative measure to prevent cancer? I'm not trying to fear-monger, but hear me out. I believe wounding is theorized to work with wnt signaling, the 'sonic hedgehog' pathway, correct? I remember a product/company years ago (can't remember which one) which had a promising treatment based of the sonic hedgehog pathway which was shelved due to cancer concerns.
With wounding, we are continuously damaging our skin, I tried 2mm last week and noticed some skin peeling, not unlike a sunburn. It is known sunburn raises skin cancer risk.
Any thoughts? Anyone wiser who can shed some light on this? Seeing the proteasome inhibitor in the follica patent raised a red flag for me, I am probably just being a hychondriac...but wanted to through the idea out there.
Thanks!

Bankai

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually I don't know. But I think you can't compare the effects of a sunburn with microneedling. Sunburns change the DNA-structure of our cells through UV radiation. If the Skin cannot repair these Cells as they need to, mutations can cause skin cancer. Microneedling uses no UV radiation, nor do you change the dna structure through wounding. If that would be the case our skin would give herself cancer, without adding any ingredients.
But I really don't know.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LThis ia interesting. However, I would dismiss the equation needling=sunburn. Sunburn damage is mediated by UV rays,
flaking is not and, in my experience, it is not a common side effect. Most patients' skin gets rejuvenated as a result of needling, not damaged.

Not sure about the rest

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Plus, there has never been any correlation between wounds and cancer that I know of - if there was one, I believe it would have been noticed since wounds of any severity are extremely common

HairGrowthHunger

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good point, I didn't mean to equate sunburn with wounding, as like you stated sunburn causes dna damage via uv rays which is not a part of wounding. But we are still creating damage at a large scale which requires cellular repair.
Also of note I did not notice skin peeling when I microneedled at 1.5mm with a dermapen, only at 2mm (actually I think I set it at 1.7 or 1.8mm, was intending to work my way up to 2mm).
I do wonder why follica includes the proteasome inhibitor though.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, I'm not a scientist but anything follica is doing seems to be worth investigating

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is no proof. Maybe Dermarolling can cause basalioma but this is not a dangerous form of cancer. We discussed this already in the big thread. And as I said, there is no proof whatsoever.

Last edited:

Bankai

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think FCKW36 referrs to this study:
Wong, S. Y., & Reiter, J. F. (2011). Wounding mobilizes hair follicle stem cells to form tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108(10), 4093-4098.

Or dermarolling thread Page 93 ff.

Last edited:

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would it apply to the face as well? People have been doing that forever, but nothing to report from that I think?

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Would it apply to the face as well? People have been doing that forever, but nothing to report from that I think?

Have thy really? I don't know how often and long people used this. And they usually use 0.25 mm and thinga like this.

joni106

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it can not happen
If there was some concern that the wounding could cause cancer then they would not take any risk. They would not go out with the product. Even if it is combined with an anti-cancer drug.
Again, there is no chance they would take the risk.

HairGrowthHunger

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I just went through it. I'm an engineer, not a bio-scientist..it's a tough read. Maybe someone with a oncology or biology background could give a translation. Makes me wonder if part of follica will be follow up dermatologist visits to check no BCCs have formed? I don't know, makes me a bit reluctant to continue diy wounding.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The proteasome inhibitor in the follica patent its there probably because it can grow some hair. It has a moderate impact on Wnt signaling and it may sinergise with minoxidil and wounding.

There were some clinical trials a decade ago, for a proteasome inhibitor drug called Neosil or something like that. It was dropped because it showed a weaker effect than minoxidil alone.

So no, very unlikely its a preventative measure against a potential cancer risk.

Last edited:

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it can not happen
If there was some concern that the wounding could cause cancer then they would not take any risk. They would not go out with the product. Even if it is combined with an anti-cancer drug.
Again, there is no chance they would take the risk.
Well, sunbeds are carcinogenic. Not only were they approved, but even after the cancer correlation became evident, they are still there

Ayr9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The foods we use eat also causes cancer..Nowadays everything causes cancer...Stop thinking,start wounding:)