Dermaroller/dermastamp/pen/derminator

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Derminator uses 0.15mm diameter needles.
I have no idea what thickness the dermastamp needles were that I used prior to that, but that's certainly something to think about.

While we're here, does anyone have any views on using Derminator/dermastamp over the transplanted hair? Obviously not soon after the procedure, but perhaps 2-4 months later when the scalp has full sensation again and new grafts start to come out of resting phase. Would there be any concerns about damaging the grafts?

I have no direct knowledge about transplants. And I've just read a little bit about dermarolling. But I'm thinking it might be safer to wait at least 6-8, perhaps 12 months before trying it on transplanted hair. Just because there is micro tearing involved in rolling and you don't want to upset the healing process from a transplant. But I don't really know. Probably more beneficial to get PRP with a transplant b

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I've just tried to derminator-wound using 2mm.
To describe the extent of wounding, I don't push much but hold it firmly against scalp. I'd repeat each area until it appears red and weeps a little. Occasionally the weeping blood needed wiping so I could see how far I've wounded each spot.
I found that needles get stuck quite often, which makes me hesitant to go further in fear of tearing. It's almost as though the circular motion gets needle stuck more than back-and-forth motion. I was using fast setting; had it been any slower I would imaging the 'sticking' gets worse, so I went back to 1.5mm....any tips?
Can you describe the "needles getting stuck" thing a bit more? A lot of people mentioned this. I'm using derminator on fast setting too and not sure if/when I get this so I'm getting really concerned as I don't want to tear my scalp apart without even knowing it. Thanks

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you describe the "needles getting stuck" thing a bit more? A lot of people mentioned this. I'm using derminator on fast setting too and not sure if/when I get this so I'm getting really concerned as I don't want to tear my scalp apart without even knowing it. Thanks

As the needles enter the scalp, very occasionally the force holding the needles in the scalp is greater than the strength of the magnet, hence the needles couldn't pull itself out without manually pulling it out. With more practice, it happens a lot less now. it's generally not a concern as long as you know to stop immediately, pull it out instead of keeping it moving sideways (which could cause micro-tearing). Perhaps it is the direction in which I slide along the scalp, or from some angles it is difficult to slide along and still have the needles entering at the right angle. Sometimes I use the 'stabbing' motion rather than sliding if I'm paranoid of it happening again.
I would think fast setting prevents it from happening. Anyway if you're not experiencing this, nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

igamblesowhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Derminator is a piece of sh*t imo. You can watch the depth gauge and see that it takes about 5 seconds in one isolated area to reach 1.5 mm. It also gets stuck in your scalp. So, most of the time it isn't reaching the actual depth, other times it's going to the f*****g hilt and the needles get stuck in your flesh, dislodging them from the base. I'll stick to manual stamps.

I have used the Derminator 2 for 6 months now. With 12 needles at a time, which I presume would induce more friction than 9 or single needle cartridges.

Not once, ever, has the Derminator gotten "stuck" in my scalp. Not even close. The thing is powerful and even on fast setting it does not appear to cause tearing that I can notice.

I do however use it mostly on medium because even after icing my head for a few minutes, the fast speed on 1.5-2mm depth just kinda hurts where as I can tolerate the medium speed better, even though it takes 3 or 4x longer for the same number of punctures.