Dermapen A Better Way To Utilize Wounding But Could It Be Counterproductive For Some?

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, you are only Norwood 2 in my opinion, not Norwood 2.5. No one outside the "balding scene" can tell you are losing hair. Depending on your current age it might be that you are losing only extremely slowly and will not advance to Norwood 2.5 or Norwood 3 until many years later.

I agree. Seeing your photos - I would love to restore my hair to your current status!

Perspective is important though. If you've witnessed a change and are taking action - good for you. I let mine go for too long, thinking I'd be comfortable with the inevitable ... yet suddenly NW4/5 or so and I realize, hey - this sucks... I'm actually not liking where this is going!

I wouldn't stress too much over lack of results at this point. Your hair looks great tbh! We are all our own worst critic.

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree. Seeing your photos - I would love to restore my hair to your current status!

Perspective is important though. If you've witnessed a change and are taking action - good for you. I let mine go for too long, thinking I'd be comfortable with the inevitable ... yet suddenly NW4/5 or so and I realize, hey - this sucks... I'm actually not liking where this is going!

I wouldn't stress too much over lack of results at this point. Your hair looks great tbh! We are all our own worst critic.
Thank you, I appreciate it but my right temple is actually quite severe diffuse thinning i’m hoping that with wounding and Trinov ( fingers crossed that it works, and if it ever gets here) Will increase my density in that specific area

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I scan the top topics weekly. As far as your situation. You have very good density & overall hair. Even your eyebrows are growing well. So I understand, losing any hair is stressful. Bottom line we all want youthful hair. I believe any organ or biological entity will react to stimulus. E.g— laser, supplements, minoxidil, massage, derma-rolling. Science backs it up.
So I, too took another look at subject from good reports. I have 3 dermarollers: .25, .5 &1.5. I also have 2 dermapens. Latest being Dr Pen Ultima A7. I know the needles it comes with can be replaced with sharper ones from another supplier. So I started derma-rolling more. Also I saw a video just for hairline by a guy who uses a hairband & lavender oil & few minutes of crisscrossing dermarolling which I like. So, It’s trial & error.
If you feel it is helping continue. For me, I am slowly improving, but as I do I realize how far I am from perfection. I can hear the crackling on my scalp of “Calcification/Finrosis?” as I roll. As far as results, like you not enough.
I have tried PRP with dermarolling 3 times.
Same thing not enough. Now I see where doctors add A cell to mix for better “wound healing”
Also I’m reading about scalp massage & hair “ pulling” this month.
There is “no magic bullet” for everyone.
I dermaroll, but do other things. Some follicles need a little push/stimulus to sprout, others much more.

Kenny's_Login

Reaction score
Now at first I noticed some shedding, but pretty minor and it seemed to calm down. For whatever reason the sessions that I just did about an hour ago caused pretty substantial shedding for me ( when I was using the comb to make parts small clumps of hair would fall out, I’ve noticed hairs on my white T-shirt and it seems like my right temple which has suffered the worst hair loss over the years seems a little bit more bare.) freaked me right out. And from at least one of the studies I’ve read by the eighth week I should see the start of minor regrowth beginning I don’t see anything, in fact I am worried about making it worse At this point.

Only the effective treatments induce a shedding phase. I consider it a positive indicator. After starting an effective treatment, your follicles will undergo a change, which leaves them unable to support the current hair strand, so it must start over.

Last week I was counting up to ~150 a day in the sink. That rate of loss lasted about three weeks. This week it's down to ~50 a day. I'm not worried.

EDIT: I started on December 1st 2018. Tomorrow will be my 7th session after changing to bi-weekly intervals two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Kenny's_Login

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I scan the top topics weekly. As far as your situation. You have very good density & overall hair. Even your eyebrows are growing well. So I understand, losing any hair is stressful. Bottom line we all want youthful hair. I believe any organ or biological entity will react to stimulus. E.g— laser, supplements, minoxidil, massage, derma-rolling. Science backs it up.
So I, too took another look at subject from good reports. I have 3 dermarollers: .25, .5 &1.5. I also have 2 dermapens. Latest being Dr Pen Ultima A7. I know the needles it comes with can be replaced with sharper ones from another supplier. So I started derma-rolling more. Also I saw a video just for hairline by a guy who uses a hairband & lavender oil & few minutes of crisscrossing dermarolling which I like. So, It’s trial & error.
If you feel it is helping continue. For me, I am slowly improving, but as I do I realize how far I am from perfection. I can hear the crackling on my scalp of “Calcification/Finrosis?” as I roll. As far as results, like you not enough.
I have tried PRP with dermarolling 3 times.
Same thing not enough. Now I see where doctors add A cell to mix for better “wound healing”
Also I’m reading about scalp massage & hair “ pulling” this month.
There is “no magic bullet” for everyone.
I dermaroll, but do other things. Some follicles need a little push/stimulus to sprout, others much more.

Let me know what you think about the A7. I continue to use it based on its quality and speed, but the wire is a pain. I need to determine what I'd be compromising if I replace it with a wireless pen.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me know what you think about the A7. I continue to use it based on its quality and speed, but the wire is a pain. I need to determine what I'd be compromising if I replace it with a wireless pen.
Good question....
A7 is very good at home demapen.
On this subject of electrical dermapen, I believe, currently doctors/dermatologists are on the 4th generation of dermapens. I have tried the at home & cutting edge FDA approved model. The one at doctors office follows a protocol of new needles for each patient, numbing cream, & experienced operator. So it’s painless, very fast, & cutting edge. A7 is not in same league, but it’s fine for home use.. I’m sure EBay has the latest doctor’s dermapen, but since I tried both A7 is good enough.

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just an update I switched back to the 12 needle head and that made all the difference, the pen is gliding over my scalp much more effectively I’m still getting sufficient penetration/wounding and drawing very slight bit of blood, But unlike with the 36 needle head it’s not leading to massive scabs and I’m not shedding huge clumps as I am using the pen.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t take my post the wrong way man, it’s not coming from a bad place. I just wanna day that hair loss in the lives of able-bodied people is already enough of a bummer to significantly decrease our happiness levels. What keeps us going are the simple pleasures of life like taking a walk in the rain, or f*****g a girl (who’s totally way less hot than she would be if we were fullheads amirite) or lifting weights. For someone like you who had already indicated they’re depressed to the point of considering suicide, it might be unhealthy to have a completely separate issue (cosmetic or not) be something to fixate and get depressed over.

It sounds cheesy as phuk but in your situation I think you should look at the bright side. Your dick still works (maybe). You can have pets. You aren’t in jail. You live in a first world country. You can smell coffe mixing with rotting leaves in the fall. There are a lot of things that you can fixate on that will allow you to actually enjoy life, instead of trudging through it in a depression that hits you from all angles. I don’t know sh*t about your life but if I found myself paralyzed hair loss would be one of the last things on my mind. Perhaps a chance of geographic location mind help to make you less concerned with appearance?

Wishing the best

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was reading on several dermarolling sites that the treatment frequency for penetration depths of 1 mm or higher should be two weeks. No idea what is right. My frequency is 2+ weeks. An idea might be to test it on yourself. One part of your scalp at eg once a fortnight. The other part perhaps weekly. Perhaps there will be a difference.
Also, I am probably switching over to a large dermastamp to ensure that indeed penetration depth is 1 mm and not something between 0 and 1 mm. I just find it too hard to keep the pen at 90 deg angle.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was reading on several dermarolling sites that the treatment frequency for penetration depths of 1 mm or higher should be two weeks. No idea what is right. My frequency is 2+ weeks. An idea might be to test it on yourself. One part of your scalp at eg once a fortnight. The other part perhaps weekly. Perhaps there will be a difference.
Also, I am probably switching over to a large dermastamp to ensure that indeed penetration depth is 1 mm and not something between 0 and 1 mm. I just find it too hard to keep the pen at 90 deg angle.

lol this is what happens when you get crappy pens

My derminator has a readout that tells you continuosly whether you are reaching the desired depth

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol this is what happens when you get crappy pens

My derminator has a readout that tells you continuosly whether you are reaching the desired depth
But you still must ensure you are holding it at 90deg to the scalp surface..right?

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But you still must ensure you are holding it at 90deg to the scalp surface..right?

yeah? it's not hard or anything. just don't lift the pen from your scalp and move along the curve with a firm grip

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair that sheds is hair that was fucked to begin with, you just slightly accelerated that process. Most of the time it's to make room for new/stronger hairs, but unfortunately that's not always a guarantee :/.

All you can really do is take peace in the fact that you're actively trying to fight it and that any "damage" you did was also going to happen if you sit back and did nothing.
I dont think hair that "shed " is unhealthy, that's active damage to the hairline