Dermapen A Better Way To Utilize Wounding But Could It Be Counterproductive For Some?

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously the latest thing on this board is dermapens , I take the big three but I have seen no results in terms of Regrowth, so naturally I was on the lookout for something else. I’ve seen many many studies that show wounding can help majority of the patients in the study regrow hair, most of the time the patients are men that didn’t benefit from finasteride and/or minoxidil. I just did my seventh session, I do it once a week, 2 mm, level III 36 needle head Dr. Pen model.

Now at first I noticed some shedding, but pretty minor and it seemed to calm down. For whatever reason the sessions that I just did about an hour ago caused pretty substantial shedding for me ( when I was using the comb to make parts small clumps of hair would fall out, I’ve noticed hairs on my white T-shirt and it seems like my right temple which has suffered the worst hair loss over the years seems a little bit more bare.) freaked me right out. And from at least one of the studies I’ve read by the eighth week I should see the start of minor regrowth beginning I don’t see anything, in fact I am worried about making it worse At this point.

Wounding seems pretty bulletproof from the research, I mean look at the results that that kid got which has all of us on the train again, and there’s been a few others that it showed good results for. So is 36 needles too much, could I be applying too much pressure, could I be causing micro tears and therefore should switch to the derminator?

Or is it really possible for a person to just see no benefits whatsoever from any of the products and treatments that we have available today, that many benefit from. Or could I just be overanalyzing and going through a period of shedding the weaker hairs before I start to see a benefit with new growth

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand that hair loss is a very serious thing for pretty much all of us on here, which is why we are here inevitably. But I am a quadriplegic ( has me very seriously contemplating assisted suicide on its own) and I cannot bear the thought of being a cripple and bald ( I think if it came down to it, able-bodied… I would just become extremely muscular to compensate, I know some guys that are rolling with some gorgeous women that operate like that, shockingly some girls even like bald man I’m sure many of us find that hard to Believe and would probably postulate on her strongly taking into account his wallet). So any recommendations or information you guys have, even your own anecdotal experience I really appreciate it.

I have even ordered three months of Trinov from Farmacia Saint Antonio before the holidays, they are still out of stock haha

soull

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously the latest thing on this board is dermapens , I take the big three but I have seen no results in terms of Regrowth, so naturally I was on the lookout for something else. I’ve seen many many studies that show wounding can help majority of the patients in the study regrow hair, most of the time the patients are men that didn’t benefit from finasteride and/or minoxidil. I just did my seventh session, I do it once a week, 2 mm, level III 36 needle head Dr. Pen model.

Now at first I noticed some shedding, but pretty minor and it seemed to calm down. For whatever reason the sessions that I just did about an hour ago caused pretty substantial shedding for me ( when I was using the comb to make parts small clumps of hair would fall out, I’ve noticed hairs on my white T-shirt and it seems like my right temple which has suffered the worst hair loss over the years seems a little bit more bare.) freaked me right out. And from at least one of the studies I’ve read by the eighth week I should see the start of minor regrowth beginning I don’t see anything, in fact I am worried about making it worse At this point.

Wounding seems pretty bulletproof from the research, I mean look at the results that that kid got which has all of us on the train again, and there’s been a few others that it showed good results for. So is 36 needles too much, could I be applying too much pressure, could I be causing micro tears and therefore should switch to the derminator?

Or is it really possible for a person to just see no benefits whatsoever from any of the products and treatments that we have available today, that many benefit from. Or could I just be overanalyzing and going through a period of shedding the weaker hairs before I start to see a benefit with new growth

What Norwood are you?
In what area do you sew?
I do not think it is necessary to press so much when you sew, I think you have pressed a lot and that makes your hair fall.

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair that sheds is hair that was fucked to begin with, you just slightly accelerated that process. Most of the time it's to make room for new/stronger hairs, but unfortunately that's not always a guarantee :/.

All you can really do is take peace in the fact that you're actively trying to fight it and that any "damage" you did was also going to happen if you sit back and did nothing.

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What Norwood are you?
In what area do you sew?
I do not think it is necessary to press so much when you sew, I think you have pressed a lot and that makes your hair fall.
I would say Norwood 2-2.5 if you look closely you can see a bit of diffuse thinning along the hairline, and clear temple recession my overall coverage is pretty good though outside of my right temple but that can be compensated for without a ridiculous comb-over just because I have decent coverage overall like I said. And my crown is very dense and thick.

Sorry what does sew mean? I’m assuming where you wound? I try to do the entire scalp.

If it is a case of too much pressure then should I stop and let my scalp have a long recovery time or should I just lightened up? Either way such reasonings for The shedding would not be permanent damage or permanent loss correct?

The thing about the Dr.Pen is my caregiver has a hard time keeping it steady, I wonder if the derminator is easier to operate, I have read that it Pretty much eliminates the threat of micro tears

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have long hair, all of these pictures are after shower when the hair is wet naturally and slicked back ( over a month before I started wounding)

Attachments

• 2D56A611-1D83-4A3E-A665-B7FB2FDDD5C5.jpeg
    2D56A611-1D83-4A3E-A665-B7FB2FDDD5C5.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 682
  • A0CEE77C-2A45-4861-AC9C-3DFA76D45B95.jpeg
    A0CEE77C-2A45-4861-AC9C-3DFA76D45B95.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 586
  • 8936882E-655C-4CD0-810B-88AB05560381.jpeg
    8936882E-655C-4CD0-810B-88AB05560381.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 617
  • E649BEDC-7107-4004-8A52-E52BC2E4645C.jpeg
    E649BEDC-7107-4004-8A52-E52BC2E4645C.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair that sheds is hair that was fucked to begin with, you just slightly accelerated that process. Most of the time it's to make room for new/stronger hairs, but unfortunately that's not always a guarantee :/.

All you can really do is take peace in the fact that you're actively trying to fight it and that any "damage" you did was also going to happen if you sit back and did nothing.
The harshness of life right my friend… This is a very practical outlook. However you do not think that going too deep with too many needles causing micro tears could actually damage hair follicles?

Also do you think you would be able to assess the hair that fell out and determine whether it is a A Hair that likely is going to return versus a hair that is clearly depleted, extremely thin and likely not coming back

Notreallyhere

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im a month i and sheding seems to be way down for me

36 needles is a lot dude. I use just 12 needle cartridges.
i was saying only other day 36 would lose momentum more than 12 just discovered the Chinese were using 9 lol

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you sir I have decided I’m going to go back to 12
You are quadriplegic? So who microneedles your head? lol Don't mean to insult, just wondering. If I were there I would do it for you bro

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are quadriplegic? So who microneedles your head? lol Don't mean to insult, just wondering. If I were there I would do it for you bro
I mentioned it earlier, I have a caregiver that does it she has trouble steadying the Dr. Pen So she has to press pretty hard. No insult taken it is a reasonable question

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im a month i and sheding seems to be way down for me

i was saying only other day 36 would lose momentum more than 12 just discovered the Chinese were using 9 lol
OK I’ve gone through most of this thread, multiple studies ( it’s pretty unanimous that shedding should have haulted or at least slowed by now) like I said clearly I am doing something wrong 36 needles are too much. When you mentioned that you lose momentum ever since I switched to the 36 - which was an accidental purchase - sometimes the pen would stall when moving up the part my caregiver Would then have to lift it off of my scalp and it would start right back up again like nothing happened. So… Yeah

I just hope I have not done any irrevocable damage in the 4 sessions I’ve done with 36 needle head

Last edited:

Notreallyhere

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OK I’ve gone through most of this thread, multiple studies like I said clearly I am doing something wrong 36 needles are too much. When you mentioned that you lose momentum ever since I switched to the 36 - which was an accidental purchase - sometimes the doctor pad would stall when moving up the part my caregiver Would then have to lift it off of my scalp and it would start right back up again like nothing happened. So… Yeah

I just hope I have not done a irrevocable damage in the two or three sessions I’ve done with 36 needle head

yea im no expert but if the 36 needles tips have same surface area as as the 12 tips thats 3 times the area overall to push into the skin and if the pen out puts the same power it would be distributed across them slowing it down i maybe wrong but it seems logical to me

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yea im no expert but if the 36 needles tips have same surface area as as the 12 tips thats 3 times the area overall to push into the skin and if the pen out puts the same power it would be distributed across them slowing it down i maybe wrong but it seems logical to me
I have done four sessions with 12 initially, and four with 36 the 12 moved much smoother and less bloody obviously, and just going through this thread it’s clear that 36 needles is too much. And also even though they were my first sessions when using the 12 I never saw that much of an increase in shedding, like I did today which is when I should be seeing results according to some of the studies

Notreallyhere

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have done four sessions with 12 initially, and four with 36 the 12 moved much smoother and less bloody obviously, and just going through this thread it’s clear that 36 needles is too much. And also even though they were my first sessions when using the 12 I never saw that much of an increase in shedding, like I did today which is when I should be seeing results according to some of the studies
i use 12 needle with derminator2 at 2mm it has a depth meter that sometimes shows i fail to penetrate to 2mm so maybe your 36s aren't making the same depth as frequently as the 12 was i duno for sure . anyway im just trying to copy what the number guy did that got results and hope for the best

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i use 12 needle with derminator2 at 2mm it has a depth meter that sometimes shows i fail to penetrate to 2mm so maybe your 36s aren't making the same depth as frequently as the 12 was i duno for sure . anyway im just trying to copy what the number guy did that got results and hope for the best
Judging by how I bleed quite a bit when using the 36s versus the 12s I think it gets down deep enough, however the bleeding could also be caused I am more of a tear rather than a deep incision. I think that’s what all of us are trying to do, I believe he used a Dr Pen. However I have heard that the derminator Is the superior product

Notreallyhere

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Judging by how I bleed quite a bit when using the 36s versus the 12s I think it gets down deep enough, however the bleeding could also be caused I am more of a tear rather than a deep incision. I think that’s what all of us are trying to do, I believe he used a Dr Pen. However I have heard that the derminator Is the superior product
yea thats what wondered if you were tearing up the surface i cant feel the diffrence between a under depth puncture and correct depth puncture during a needle session .
Yea the d2 seems good i chose it as it runs on mains power and they seem big on saying it dont micro tear plus its made by someone with same autism as me meaning she was probably dedicated to getting it correct.

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The harshness of life right my friend… This is a very practical outlook. However you do not think that going too deep with too many needles causing micro tears could actually damage hair follicles?

I would assume so but I don't like guessing or acting like a bro scientist. It's up to you to do proper research, from what I heard 12 needles 1.5-2mm is the norm and should have the highest chance of success.

I was just trying to give you some peace of mind regarding the awful shedding process. Only way to be able to handle it mentally is to constantly remind yourself the damage has already been done, you're just revealing it.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As I already said in the other thread:
Over the course of the last 3 months, I completed 12 weekly sessions with 12 needle cartridges at 1.75 mm and so far I have also not witnessed any results whatsoever, neither new vellus nor new terminal hair. I'm using 1 ml of minoxidil daily.

You not getting results with 36 needles doesn't necessarily mean that there's something wrong with the 36 needles, it just seems that some people either do not get results or only get them much later than everyone else. I hope it's the latter.

Also, you are only Norwood 2 in my opinion, not Norwood 2.5. No one outside the "balding scene" can tell you are losing hair. Depending on your current age it might be that you are losing only extremely slowly and will not advance to Norwood 2.5 or Norwood 3 until many years later.