Deadlock's Story - (21yo hair problems w/PICS. dutasteride & minoxidil)

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know about thigh hair, but I just tried pulling hairs from my arm and they do seem to come off fairly easily so that seems to be normal. Whatever it is, I suggest not obsessing too much over it, taking pictures of your hair every day etc or you're going to drive yourself nuts! I used to do it and all it does is make you feel more stressed and depressed about it.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Well hiding behind caps and beanies every time isn't what I'd call liberating either... My thights had lots of hair at first, now they are pretty much bald. I really don't understqnd. My leg hair seems thinner to.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
qzhvdl.jpg

24ov903.jpg

24y7gxz.jpg

Wet pics above. Dry pics under:

view.php

I have 2 more but tinypic isnt working no more.

Anyways. Am still not on minoxidil, and am gonna pick up my 5mg finasteride now, of which I'll be using 1/4th of daily from now. Picking up minoxidil as soon as I can afford it (apperantly I dont have to pay for the finasteride, or so they said).

Do you guys think I can still recover?

pets93

Reaction score
I think your hair still looks very good as of today. Although, if I were you, I would get rid of the dreadlocks. I think they're causing more problem than pleasure.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I have / had good hair but it's still falling off in a diffuse pattern... :( Not being on minoxidil wouldn't be very good for this either I guess?

Not cutting the hair though.

Cowabunga

Reaction score
Hi man, how have promoted treatment? I have a same problem, I can not choose where to start or finasteride dud

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're worried, why not start treatment? It's not like you can do anything else? Dunno if I'm having success though. Yes, some hair has regrown. But I also lost some more... I can't tell you how this stuff works for you though. But I personally can't say yes or no yet. I'm still balding afterall.

Though I can easily say it feels thinner all over. Including back and sides.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
New pics. As you can see, severe diffusion thinning. Am pretty much bald on the diffused spot in front. Hoping to regrow lost grounds still...

Am back on Fimasteride btw.

Attachments

• IMAG0430-1.jpg
    IMAG0430-1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 297
  • IMAG0412-1.jpg
    IMAG0412-1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG0410-1.jpg
    IMAG0410-1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0365-1.jpg
    IMAG0365-1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0352-1.jpg
    IMAG0352-1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 280

Baker1986

Reaction score
Clicked through the thread quickly, and it does look like you thinned out some between the pics in the middle of the thread, and untill now. I also picked up that you were off treatments for a little while (correct me if im wrong). Anyway, if your back on treatments you should have a good chance to recover, the only problem is that it will take longer for the recovered hair to look good with dreads (shedding, starting new cycle, new hair growing long takes longer with dreads etc). Another thing about dreads and hairloss, is that your hair will seem thinner and heavyer because the roots arent as solid as they used to, and your locks will hang down like theyre glued to you cheeks.

I had dreads for 3 years myself, and this was the period where my hair thinned out. I figured that hairloss and dreads was a bad combo, so i cut them off, hoping that my hairloss was related to traction alopecia and that it would grow back after cutting. I waited a year to see if any of the hair would regrow, but it didnt, and then i started treatments. At the time i cut my hair, it was MUCH thinner that yours right now. And believe me, it was a pain showing it off to everyone...

Give it a little while and see if it gets better, but you should consider cutting your hair if it doesen't (i know it will be hard). How is your treatment timeline btw?

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Treatment time line: started with 2% minoxidil in September 2009, then a month later finasteride. Then started 5% minoxidil in May 2010 (still using it) and Dutasteride I started also around that time, untill about a month and a half a go. Now I use Finasteride, and ofcoarse Minoxodil 5%. I did got small gains before, and still have a slight better hairline thsn before. I just am diffusing badly now...

Baker1986

Reaction score
Clicked through the whole thread, and it seems like your having some upswings and downswings, with minor difference. It also seems like your hair has different levels of oilyness and dryness, which would affect how it looks. Lighting also seems different from each time. You might be diffusing a bit, and I see you have some minitauriztion in the front. They way I see it now is that you still have alot of hair, and the minitaurized follicles might be saved, depending how much you can spend. I noticed you said that RU would be to expensive, but maybe your parents will help you out, if you havent already asked. You can also try topical spironolactone, it won't make it any worse. I'm sorry I cant give you any really good advice, but i do feel ya on the situation.

What kind of job do you have? Any possibilites you can work some extra hours? I know it sucks to work overtime, but its worth it if it contributes to keeping your if it means alot. Would free you from alot of depression and stress. Anyway, things aren't looking bad at all.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
That's then thing man, I'm dirt poor. My current regime I'm on I'm lucky already to have because I got a Finasteride 5mg prescription for free, and got a good batch of 5% Minoxidil for a little while. So I really cannot afford anything else. It's my final resort to just rely on these 2 treatments for now. A long with some supplements as gingko and curcuma, and Saw Palmetto, multivitamins, vitamin B complex and overall a good diet, eating the right things, drinking lots of green tea. Also really wanna get used to use black castor oil more often.

Thanks for the advice though man. I'm diffusing very badly actually at this moment... Hopefully I'll be alright soon though.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm from Europe. To be specific, your neighbouring country to the west. As you can read from my last post, I pay nothing for my Finasteride. But in general finasteride is pretty cheap online anyway. dutasteride is pretty expensive though, and Minoxidil is also pretty affordable if you know where to look for it.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
New pics. Taken just now. Hair is wet from the minoxidil, but it shows the thinning areas well. Am pretty stressed out by this, as I'm dying to see results from this quickly. Not sure hpw much I can expect though...

Attachments

• IMAG0679-1.jpg
    IMAG0679-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMAG0680-1.jpg
    IMAG0680-1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 307

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a shower and when shampooing the sides of my head again my hands where full with hairs! This didnt happen when I did the same on the top, fortunatelty. But it still is weird, as this happened before also.

I also know results take time but I'd like it if the situation would slowly improve than slowly getting worse...

Baker1986

Reaction score
When i had dreads myself, the part of the head where i shedded the most frem was the sides, where i had alot of loose hair. How often do you wash your hair? My guess was that since i washed my hair 2 times a week with dreads, i had a build-up with loose hairs on the sides that made it seem worse when i first washed my hair. Never got any thinner on the sides though.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Once a week at most I think. I hate how my hair looks after washing it. It becomes very very thin then. But I am losing hair all over. Hoping it might be a small Finasteride shed and it will soon stop and regrow. Hair at the front is looking pretty straw-like to atm and really cant make out if I am improving or if things are getting worse.