Daniel Craig is about a NW3 and he looks great

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I've never buzzed my hair. do you need some kind of special shaver or razor to do it? or do you have to get a barber to do it?

beaner

Reaction score
There was a media storm about Daniel Craig's hair loss. Some hair transplant surgeon made a comment about the possibility of further recession to Craig's hairline and there was murmurings that the film studio's warned Craig that could lose his James Bond gig if he lost more hair.

That's a load of crap. They can throw a piece on his head and no one would be the wiser. In this day and age, you can't even tell what's real and what isn't in movies so I highly doubt they'll can one of the most successfull James Bond actors over something that can easily be fixed by wigs and makeup.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of an odd thread. Unless you have a big forehead to begin with, being a NW3 is not a big deal at all. Most people will not notice you are going bald. Now, find a guy who is NW5 and still "looks great". Very, very few people do. If only hair loss treatments didn't suck so much and stopping the damn thing from progressing wasn't next to impossible... sigh.

james12

Reaction score
A bit of an odd thread. Unless you have a big forehead to begin with, being a NW3 is not a big deal at all. Most people will not notice you are going bald. Now, find a guy who is NW5 and still "looks great". Very, very few people do. If only hair loss treatments didn't suck so much and stopping the damn thing from progressing wasn't next to impossible... sigh.
I would have agreed with you before I started losing hair myself, now I'm so pedantic about analyzing hair loss that i can't help but notice and be critical of anything more than a NW3. However, that could just be my own fears distorting how I see things.

Hair loss is as much a mental thing as it is physically deforming. You have to watch yourself change in a negative way, slowly, and that's hard to deal with. Your hair becomes an obsession and controls your life.

I often see well-meaning advice about "confidence" and other self help dogma , but what people don't realize is your confidence is just a true reflection of what society thinks of you (in most cases anyway). You either have qualities society values or you don't, and that's when rationalizations come in to save your mental well-being. "Oh hey, i'm not as good looking as i once was, and that's going to impact on my whole life, but I can just shave my head and I'll look OK". Not all of us are willing to accept being average. It's especially hard for those of us who were good looking before hair loss and lose that power we had.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you before I started losing hair myself, now I'm so pedantic about analyzing hair loss that i can't help but notice and be critical of anything more than a NW3. However, that could just be my own fears distorting how I see things.

Hair loss is as much a mental thing as it is physically deforming. You have to watch yourself change in a negative way, slowly, and that's hard to deal with. Your hair becomes an obsession and controls your life.

I often see well-meaning advice about "confidence" and other self help dogma , but what people don't realize is your confidence is just a true reflection of what society thinks of you (in most cases anyway). You either have qualities society values or you don't, and that's when rationalizations come in to save your mental well-being. "Oh hey, i'm not as good looking as i once was, and that's going to impact on my whole life, but I can just shave my head and I'll look OK". Not all of us are willing to accept being average. It's especially hard for those of us who were good looking before hair loss and lose that power we had.
I know what you mean, and I agree once you go past NW3 your looks go down the drain. I'm at that very stage, NW3 and slowly getting worse. Nothing I can do but watch myself change in a negative way. And even a few milimeters of recession is very noticeable past NW3. It's emotionally exhausting.

Also it's pretty depressing looking at pics of the likes of Jude Law. Even with such facial features he still doesn't look "great" with baldness. What chance do average looking guys have then.

lol at the person who neg repped me for "trash talking of hair loss treatments". It's year 2013. and still the only thing we have to combat hair loss is a potentionally dangerous drug that might slow down balding. Oh, there's minoxidil that is more likely to grow hair on your forehead or face rather than where you want it to. That's it. Yeah, great.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
dangerous drug that might slow down balding.

that's not really fair. For the majority of men, Finasteride will slow down balding.

it wasn't me who negged you though

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, though I was more getting at how slowing down baldness is considered a success and yet I should STFU and stop trash talking. Just because it has been scientifically proven it slows down hair loss it doesn't mean the treatment doesn't suck. The fact that even the best success stories you can find are not all that impressive says a lot really.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair enough, though I was more getting at how slowing down baldness is considered a success and yet I should STFU and stop trash talking. Just because it has been scientifically proven it slows down hair loss it doesn't mean the treatment doesn't suck. The fact that even the best success stories you can find are not all that impressive says a lot really.

That's because most people leave it too late and need a minoxidil/finasteride combo, look at Bernstein Medical and tell me it's not impressive. What were your results like before quitting due to sides?

DannyBoyy

Reaction score

Someone neg repped you for that? how dare you have a different opinion then others huh? lol darn you *shakes fist*.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

It's hard for all of us, not just the good looking ones.

Also I personally disagree with your assertion of confidence coming from how society sees us, for me confidence comes from how I see myself first and foremost, if i see myself as a piece of sht, this will dictate that I slump around in public with the demeanour of a piece of sht.

Even if I was a nw1 model I'm sure I'd still get plenty of negative reaction and bad attitude from members of society and the public who are just generally unfriendly and have a shty outlook on life, the only difference being I could withstand this inevitable negative segment of society because I wouldn't suffer from the paranoid delusions that a bald guy does and think every glance or unfriendly interaction was exclusively directed against me and no one else.

Also if hair is the only quality you posess that is "valued by society" then that makes you a very lame human being altogether.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score

Also I personally disagree with your assertion of confidence coming from how society sees us, for me confidence comes from how I see myself first and foremost, if i see myself as a piece of sht, this will dictate that I slump around in public with the demeanour of a piece of sht.

Even if I was a nw1 model I'm sure I'd still get plenty of negative reaction and bad attitude from members of society and the public who are just generally unfriendly and have a shty outlook on life, the only difference being I could withstand this inevitable negative segment of society because I wouldn't suffer from the paranoid delusions that a bald guy does and think every glance or unfriendly interaction was exclusively directed against me and no one else.

Also if hair is the only quality you posess that is "valued by society" then that makes you a very lame human being altogether.

+1...the times i have said on the lines of this " Even if I was a nw1 model I'm sure I'd still get plenty of negative reaction and bad attitude from members of society and the public who are just generally unfriendly and have a shty outlook on life, the only difference being I could withstand this inevitable negative segment of society because I wouldn't suffer from the paranoid delusions that a bald guy does and think every glance or unfriendly interaction was exclusively directed against me and no one els" i have just lost count.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was hard realizing I was going to go from the "pretty boy," which isn't always a compliment but as long as girls liked it I was fine, to the future bald English teacher...quite the stereotype of shattered dreams.

I preach optimism on here but I did go through a couple years or so of constant obsession and anxiety with my hair. I guess I just got tired of obsessing. It's less than optimal, and there's a level of confidence I may never get back, but really all my anxiety is doing is aging my heart and mental health...so I just have to say "ces la vie" and await the inevitable deterioration of my scalp.

- - - Updated - - -

It also didn't help that my little brother, who instead of being the pretty boy has the good-looking bad boy persona, has kept a full head of hair. Different Dads and all. My Dad is the bald, nerdy, high school teacher, and his is the blue collar guy who reached his peak as a teen...but kept his hair.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
Yeah, it was hard realizing I was going to go from the "pretty boy," which isn't always a compliment but as long as girls liked it I was fine, to the future bald English teacher...quite the stereotype of shattered dreams.

I preach optimism on here but I did go through a couple years or so of constant obsession and anxiety with my hair. I guess I just got tired of obsessing. It's less than optimal, and there's a level of confidence I may never get back, but really all my anxiety is doing is aging my heart and mental health...so I just have to say "ces la vie" and await the inevitable deterioration of my scalp.

- - - Updated - - -

It also didn't help that my little brother, who instead of being the pretty boy has the good-looking bad boy persona, has kept a full head of hair. Different Dads and all. My Dad is the bald, nerdy, high school teacher, and his is the blue collar guy who reached his peak as a teen...but kept his hair.

"I preach optimism on here but I did go through a couple years or so of constant obsession and anxiety with my hair. I guess I just got tired of obsessing. It's less than optimal, and there's a level of confidence I may never get back, but really all my anxiety is doing is aging my heart and mental health...so I just have to say "ces la vie" and await the inevitable deterioration of my scalp." i was the same dude i wasnt very bad but i worried nonetheless thats what stopped me from worrying i got tired of it and whats the point worrying about something you cant fix? i mean you can slow it down but not fix it its pointless waste of time life to short.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Until you realize that there are many people out there who are more than willing to overlook your "inner qualities" on the sole basis that you lack that crucial marker in favor of the less interesting but more normal looking guy. Initially, above all else people judge based off appearance and that judgment is heavily informed/influenced by not just social standards of beauty but just standards for looking normal in general. Some people love to pose the question " What is normal, anyway?" Normal is a collection of averages. If you fall outside these averages for whatever reason then you are deemed abnormal and prepare for a hard life.

james12

Reaction score

I do envy you, if you're indeed able to ignore the powerful forces of socialization and culture. However, most of us are not so strong, indeed I am one of those weak-minded humans susceptible to being influenced by the world I live in. Now what matters to me is not so much my own mental and moral shortcomings , but those of people I can't control IE the rest of society.

See the thing is, I'm a pragmatist. I'm not worried about the cosmetic detraction of male pattern baldness per se. In fact I could not care less. It's the discrimination and prejudices I'm going to experience if I continue to lose my hair , that's what I'm worried about. These are MATERIAL costs to my life. You can talk all you want about entirely abstract internalization psychology (used by scams/PUA/and the self-help industry in general like it's the answer to all problems) but confidence is no shield against discrimination.

Now you seem like a well-meaning guy, but if we are to have a debate on this, I'm going to have to point out the contradiction in your persona. You stated that you are able to control your self image , confidence for you comes from your own machinations. Yet you are here, fighting a solely cosmetic curse in balding. Why?

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"I preach optimism on here but I did go through a couple years or so of constant obsession and anxiety with my hair. I guess I just got tired of obsessing. It's less than optimal, and there's a level of confidence I may never get back, but really all my anxiety is doing is aging my heart and mental health...so I just have to say "ces la vie" and await the inevitable deterioration of my scalp." i was the same dude i wasnt very bad but i worried nonetheless thats what stopped me from worrying i got tired of it and whats the point worrying about something you cant fix? i mean you can slow it down but not fix it its pointless waste of time life to short.

I agree, same for me. Worrying doesn't make it grow any faster so we just have to deal with it. I mean it sucks sometimes, I got another remark last night that I resembled Brad Pitt...and Im not saying that to sound cocky. If anything it got me down a bit because I know it's only a matter of time before those types of compliments stop haha. And I really don't resemble him, it's just the fact that I have the same type of eyes and my hair does a great deal for my looks.

Hopefully by the time my hair is gone I will have kids so I can focus my attention somewhere other than myself haha.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone neg repped you for that? how dare you have a different opinion then others huh? lol darn you *shakes fist*.
I guess that's what the rep system is for. I don't really care, just found it funny someone took such offence to what I said about hair loss meds.

That's because most people leave it too late and need a minoxidil/finasteride combo, look at Bernstein Medical and tell me it's not impressive. What were your results like before quitting due to sides?
Although I would be happy with the results they got, most of those are still not super impressive IMO. That guy who is above baseline after 5 years on finasteride is impressive. His hair is still pretty crappy though. If he started it earlier he would probably be the best of the bunch.

I didn't notice any improvement in the 8 months I was on finasteride. My hairline actually receded even more (mostly on one side :crazy:). Who knows, perhaps it did slow down my hair loss at that time and I would have lost even more without finasteride. It did not stop it for sure.

resu

Reaction score
Bernstein examples are also the best you could reasonable expect from finasteride/minoxidil.