Cyclodextrin complexed RU58841/Dutasteride (Localized transfolliclar delivery)

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@

I'll make a finasteride solution to try and keep you posted.

What vehicle and how much Cyclodextrin for a 2oz bottle?
1:1 molar concentration, so divide your cyclo’s molecular weight on the active ingredients (finasteride here) and youll get how many mg cyclo per mg active ingredient.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mix my RU58841 in liquid minoxidil. Should I try it with this instead? I can get 100 grams for $15 off Amazon for cyclo.
If you have sides it could def be something to try

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is exciting news but I didn't read where the article explicitly stated that the formulation prevents ALL absorption systemically past the skin. Note that you yourself acknowledge that there are some minoxidil side effects when using minoxidil with this formulation. If there are some side effects when using minoxidil with this formulation doesn't that mean that SOME of the minoxidil was absorbed systemically when applied topically?
So after researching a bit it doesn’t prevent all API from going systemic. But cyclodextrin selectively penetrates through the transfollicular route. Follicular openings are only about 10% of the scalp cm2. So in theory we should have 90% less systemic absorption.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there any studies showing minoxidil is bad for skin? Although I don't doubt it, read it so many times now...
Only in vitro studies in a petri dish

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1:1 molar concentration, so divide your cyclo’s molecular weight on the active ingredients (finasteride here) and youll get how many mg cyclo per mg active ingredient.
Thank you. But do you know what we have to get the cyclo and the finasteride into to make it work? A classic ethanol / pg?

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. But do you know what we have to get the cyclo and the finasteride into to make it work? A classic ethanol / pg?
Yes and maybe a little water aswell, 10% perhaps. Mix pg, eth, water first. Then cyclo and finasteride at the same time. Use a magnetic stirrer for 30 minutes.

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interresting...So we don't need a specific device to use Cyclo.....
Do you think Cyclo' would be a great addition for a PG/Eth/water ( minoxidil vehicle) for topical dutasteride ? Since Dutasteride has a good affinity with lipid....maybe adding a lipid could be good too...

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes and maybe a little water aswell, 10% perhaps. Mix pg, eth, water first. Then cyclo and finasteride at the same time. Use a magnetic stirrer for 30 minutes.

Could you explain why you think this would work? I'm curious because based on what I've read you need to use a complexation technique. Some of them seem doable at home (basically grinding cyclodextrin and the guest drug together with mortar & pestle and then filtering it through a sieve), but I haven't seen what you describe here mentioned as a method.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you explain why you think this would work? I'm curious because based on what I've read you need to use a complexation technique. Some of them seem doable at home (basically grinding cyclodextrin and the guest drug together with mortar & pestle and then filtering it through a sieve), but I haven't seen what you describe here mentioned as a method.
To my knowledge Cyclo forms spontaneous nanoencapsulations with the guest molecule in aqeuos solutions. I have done this myself with poorly soluble molecules. You just have to mix them into the solution.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I followed a research paper that showed step by step formulation of the solution with the API bound to cyclo, and then encapsulated into micelles. There is no magic step.

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
I followed a research paper that showed step by step formulation of the solution with the API bound to cyclo, and then encapsulated into micelles. There is no magic step.

So you think sonication is totally not necessary?

Would you be willing to talk to me off the forum about making cyclodextrin complexed compounds as well as trying to mimic the iDelivery Bulbixin vehicle? I'm quite to make some attempts or know more, you seem fairly knowledgeable and confident in your ability to pull it off.

Last edited:

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It dissolved lol, compounds that aren’t soluble in polar solutes at all
I'm your lab rat, cookie man.

So I will try the finasteride with the cyclo. But if I follow your theory I could also dissolve other molecules in the same formulation? For hair growth I wanted to add Melatonin / Azelaic Acid / Cetirizine / Resveratrol powder.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm your lab rat, cookie man.

So I will try the finasteride with the cyclo. But if I follow your theory I could also dissolve other molecules in the same formulation? For hair growth I wanted to add Melatonin / Azelaic Acid / Cetirizine / Resveratrol powder.
The thing is you need to know which compounds works with which cyclodextrin type. No way all of those works with one type..

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is you need to know which compounds works with which cyclodextrin type. No way all of those works with one type..
Alright thank you, I'll stick to finasteride only. Do you know how to know which cyclo is the best for finasteride ?

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright thank you, I'll stick to finasteride only. Do you know how to know which cyclo is the best for finasteride ?
2-hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2-hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin
Thank you a lot. I will be ordering finasteride powder and "2-hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin". I will keep you posted on the evolution of the results with photos in the next 6 months.

Last question: To avoid using too many topicals, I would like to replace my PG / WATER / ETHANOL base with a classic formulation of 5% minoxidil. But I guess it will hurt the experience?