Crazy Minoxidil Shed After 5 Months Of Growth

Jakey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read. Six months ago I started minoxidil 2x day, and haven't missed a dose since. My baseline was a Norwood 4 or 5. I had crazy regrowth for four months with no shed, I couldn't believe it! I was up to a Norwood 2, parting my hair for the first time in a decade!

Then on month 5 I started shedding like crazy, and it hasn't stopped for almost 2 months. I'm back to a Norwood 3 and I'm rapidly approaching baseline.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How long was the shed, did you recover, and how long did it take to recover?

I really appreciate hearing from people who have been through this...

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read. Six months ago I started minoxidil 2x day, and haven't missed a dose since. My baseline was a Norwood 4 or 5. I had crazy regrowth for four months with no shed, I couldn't believe it! I was up to a Norwood 2, parting my hair for the first time in a decade!

Then on month 5 I started shedding like crazy, and it hasn't stopped for almost 2 months. I'm back to a Norwood 3 and I'm rapidly approaching baseline.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How long was the shed, did you recover, and how long did it take to recover?

If you look at the minoxidil studies and graphs, it shows minoxidil reaches a peak and then there is decline. Of course, the peak usually is around 2 years but maybe for some sooner. As far as I have been posting, people complain of doing great and then all of sudden they start shedding like crazy. I do know minoxidil does change the growth cycle some as it tends to keep the hairs in the growth phase longer. So when its time for the hairs to shed, you might experience what they call a synchronized shed. Otherwise, it could mean the balding process and your genetics are eventually stronger than medical treatment.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
@DoctorHouse ; hey Doctor , just to be sure , if you are on propecia but your hair keep miniaturizing , minoxidil can't worsen your loss ?
you can't end below baseline ?
if it pushes telogen hair into anagen , it can't worsen " normal hair " ?

Jakey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Doctor, I'm hoping it's just a normal minoxidil shed, but you may be right because the shedding hasn't stopped, and it's been over 2 months. My hair looks horrible.

Has this happened to anyone here? If so, what was the outcome? Did it grow back?

I guess I'm just looking for some hope...

Jakey

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just want to provide an update for those in the same situation who may stumble on this thread in the future.

My hair grew back thicker than it was before the shed happened. It took about three months of shedding before re-growth.

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe I'm going through something similar, I've had great results so far. I've been on minoxidil for 5 months now, didn't really shed at first but I've noticed it more recently.

Hopefully my hair will grow back even thicker, haven't seen a cosmetic decline so things are promising.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you dont mind possible side effects and really want to keep your hair start oral minoxidil along with the topical you could expect to regrow what you've lost and maintain for far longer. Im only 8 days in on oral minoxidil but my shedding seems to have decreased. Also get on finasteride!

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are not using finasteride then minoxidil results will be short lived.

Its like using fertilizer to make plants grow better but then not watering your plants...

minoxidil and finasteride should be used together in a long term plan.

thelawman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just want to provide an update for those in the same situation who may stumble on this thread in the future.

My hair grew back thicker than it was before the shed happened. It took about three months of shedding before re-growth.
Thank you so much for updating. I'm in month 5 and shedding like crazy for weeks now after sweet and hopeful regrowth. I'm happy to hear I just have to bear with it. How is your situation now?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on minoxidil for 3 years and honestly it’s a rollercoaster of a journey. Some months your hair looks like absolute dog sh*t and others it looks great. My hair has never been as good as it was in the first 6months of use but it’s always been above baseline.

I put it down to it synchronising your hair cycles although I can’t guarantee this as I always change something in my routine during the horrendous hair months.

As long as you are still above baseline you shouldn’t worry! Good luck :)

thelawman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to bother with this again. It's been almost 4 months of continuous heavy shedding and it doesn't really seem to stop (maybe the shed decreased to a certain degree). Has anyone experienced a longer or slightly longer than 3 months minoxidil shed? If so, did it decently regrow? I've been to my dermatologist 2 months ago but she wasn't really sure what causes it, "maybe it's a transitory period". Jakey's update gave me hope but it's been so long and my hair looks so bad (i'm not even sure if i'm above baseline anymore) that I'm starting to indefinitely lose it. Thank you.

Shoab majid

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you look at the minoxidil studies and graphs, it shows minoxidil reaches a peak and then there is decline. Of course, the peak usually is around 2 years but maybe for some sooner. As far as I have been posting, people complain of doing great and then all of sudden they start shedding like crazy. I do know minoxidil does change the growth cycle some as it tends to keep the hairs in the growth phase longer. So when its time for the hairs to shed, you might experience what they call a synchronized shed. Otherwise, it could mean the balding process and your genetics are eventually stronger than medical treatment.

I am suffering from the same. I didn’t had any shedding in the Begining but now after six months I am shedding like hell. It is very disturbing

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep a log. It helps when you have crazy moments. You can go back and read what you were thinking and experiencing. Sometimes you can even comfort yourself. Take pics as you can bare to. I've noticed after keeping logs for almost 10 years that July time frame I experience a roller coaster of sh^tty sheds and depression and bald looking captures in mirrors etc. However, Feb-Mar time frame I've made notes and taken pics years after years, and I noticed I'm "happy" with my hair. Keep on your routine...What's the alternative?
I've had bad years too...2012 was a bad year. 2013 was better.
Add things to the routine as well...
Never give up.

Shoab majid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep a log. It helps when you have crazy moments. You can go back and read what you were thinking and experiencing. Sometimes you can even comfort yourself. Take pics as you can bare to. I've noticed after keeping logs for almost 10 years that July time frame I experience a roller coaster of sh^tty sheds and depression and bald looking captures in mirrors etc. However, Feb-Mar time frame I've made notes and taken pics years after years, and I noticed I'm "happy" with my hair. Keep on your routine...What's the alternative?
I've had bad years too...2012 was a bad year. 2013 was better.
Add things to the routine as well...
Never give up.
Thanks buddy. I will stick to the routine. Let’s see how things will go.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
nice thread to read, i am in exactly the same situation as well, 5 months of great progress i lost everything i gained in 4 weeks :( just to cross my fingers and hope that i will get the same result as written here..

I had no initial shedding and it was easy to answer others tyo just stick to the regime, different story when it happens to yourself :)