Crafting The Perfect Hair Line- Dense And Thick

sifu85308

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm scheduled for 1000 graft transplant next week and I'd really appreciate help designing my hair line as I firmly believe a lot of folks on these forums are as knowledgeable as anyone on hair transplants. While happy with my clinic choice, I want to get as many perspectives as possible.

over.jpg
overhead.jpg

md-sketch-1.jpg
md-sketch.jpg

This line looks a little too low for only 1000 grafts? I don't want my proposed line to be too thin and require a second surgery to fill it in. I also don't want to be too conservative and wind up with only 650 grafts transplanted when I paid for 1000.

I drew the line below myself, a little higher up. Thoughts on additional coverage on the sides of temples and /or dropping line at apex? Thoughts on filling in behind the hair line where hair is thinning? Naturally a higher line with blending into the hair would allow the most mileage out of my transplant, but I am concerned about shocking/damaging the pre-existing thinning and vulnerable hair.

overhead-resketched.jpg

About me:

I am 32, on finesteride and minoxidil for 7 years (good about sticking to regimen). I've experienced some diffuse loss, but the hair line itself has been pretty stable for around 5 years. Ideally I won't need another surgery until my 40s.

thanks!

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Loving this thread, you seem diligent about it all. I'd say I'm a hairline expert of sorts due to being a patient, extensively studying them ages ago and my own background. You're right, you're unlikely to experience further noticeable loss due to your medication history, for such a long time too - serving you well mate well done. You do have a fair bit of diffuse thinning and I think it would be good to deal with that at some point but lets focus on your question about the hairline.

Firstly I think you should have at least 1500 grafts if not 2k, it's not a good look to just fill the corners as what if the central forelock thins out? Surgeons prefer working in this fashion: frontal 1/3 or half, mid scalp and crown. If you have 1k grafts done and 500 in each corner I guess, that itself might not give the necessary density and natural good look.

A competent surgeon will ensure that you return at least with a legit Norwood 2 which is the last non balding hairline and it must be in the correct location. If you wrinkle your forehead that tells you where your juvenile hairline is, which some people keep all their life. The mature hairline is around half inch higher in the centre from this point and about 1 inches higher in the corners. It should be Norwood 1.5 or Norwood 2 and that's what you must aim for. You "can" make it a Norwood 1 but it looks a bit off in that mature higher location as opposed to the natural lower juvenile one, especially with a high forehead, although your shape is good. Also consider that if you have a diffuse head but a juvenile Norwood 1 hairline, does it look natural and good? Not really. A straight fake looking high hairline is a must to avoid as it looks off like I explained and a surgeon wouldn't normally offer it - only some people have this look naturally and it always looks weird. And if you were to be unhappy before you would need more surgery and they would have no choice but to lower it as it's harder to "raise" the corners again due to scarring. That lowering could cause donor issues/looking natural in many patients but in your case probably not as you're a pretty solid candidate.

You can also design the hairline based on the rule of 1/3s since most good looking men have the 3 tiers of their face in proportion.

The one you have drawn as "sharp angle" is probably something similar to what you'll get. Hairline and temple point transplants are truly the ones that can transform/restore a man's attractiveness when done correctly. It's the only part of hair restoration that's linked to the the face so it carries the biggest reward and risk. Good luck, choose your hairline and surgeon wisely. Let everyone on here know how it all ends up.

sifu85308

My Regimen
Reaction score
Surgeons prefer working in this fashion: frontal 1/3 or half, mid scalp and crown. If you have 1k grafts done and 500 in each corner I guess, that itself might not give the necessary density and natural good look.

Can you clarify what you mean? I've seen pictures with lines like a topograhic map (pic below isn't me, just an example). I assumed this represents where #hairs per grafts (triples, doubles, singles) go. Is that what you mean?
attachment.jpg

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean? I've seen pictures with lines like a topograhic map (pic below isn't me, just an example). I assumed this represents where #hairs per grafts (triples, doubles, singles) go. Is that what you mean?
View attachment 106155

I wasn't referring to that. You only want singles on the hairline, for the rest it's a mixture of single and multi grafts. Those lines are most likely to do with the area they will work on and how much hair they will implant in those areas which is predetermined.

sifu85308

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day. I'd like to keep the # as close to 1000 transplants as possible. Maybe they will upsell me, but hope not. I drew some more lines with better pictures, with the line more conservative. I've been told an eye brow is 250 hairs. I'd estimate 1.5 eyebrows in length/height in temples.

The big question I'd love help with is: Add hair on sides vs only add to temples of hair line?

Left-sketch.jpg

over-sketch.jpg

right-sketch.jpg

sifu85308

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to that. You only want singles on the hairline, for the rest it's a mixture of single and multi grafts. Those lines are most likely to do with the area they will work on and how much hair they will implant in those areas which is predetermined.

Thanks for help. Let me know what you think of the above post regarding the new line. Took plenty of before pics, will plan to document good before and afters.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for help. Let me know what you think of the above post regarding the new line. Took plenty of before pics, will plan to document good before and afters.

That's a good hairline for 1k grafts. I wouldn't bother with doing your temple points (what you call sides), it's already there. They are hard to recreate naturally so it's very ideal that you kept them and me too. Most people with horseshoe genetics tend to lose their temple points and develop parallel sides which really can change the look of a person even with full hair restoration. Shookwun (a member on here) wrote about it and also had his restored as he didn't want the Norwood 7 sides look as he put it. Check out transplants of Shookwun and Swoop, of course they used way more grafts and were Norwood 2.5/3ish but their nice results may interest you as well as the general knowledge in those threads.

I hope the surgery went well!

sifu85308

My Regimen
Reaction score
Post op day 10. Concerned about density now that scabs are off. I asked for a conservative line, and even had it re-drawn. Nervous that area drawn was too ambitious for # of grafts agreed upon. Any feedback appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I could hair less

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
looks good, not sure how many grafts were used but you dont have alot of area to cover...

as long as your hair loss is under control and wont need to do another hair transplant within the next 10 yrs its good.

el_duterino

Reaction score
the density is much too low
this reminds me of my first FUE which did look thin as the density was too low

who was the surgeon ?

1k is not enough for that area, especially with thin caucasian hair which thins in diameter over age as well

but not to worry, you can have another fue to increase density in a year, or put make-up/fibers on it