Copper Peptides Vs Minoxidil

beaner

Reaction score
I think copper peptides are good when used complimentary to minoxidil, but minoxidil wins by a longshot when it comes to regrowth potential.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know that minoxidil wins by a "longshot". The only trials I can recall that tested them head-to-head (one of them may just have been an animal model) gave the edge to the copper-peptide, if I recall correctly.

Bryan

beaner

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I don't know that minoxidil wins by a "longshot". The only trials I can recall that tested them head-to-head (one of them may just have been an animal model) gave the edge to the copper-peptide, if I recall correctly.

Bryan

I guess that was more of an opinion really, and yes, I believe I may have seen the study you are referring to.....but Bryan, when it really comes down to it, wouldn't you suggest minoxidil over cp for regrowth?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
It might turn out to be a "short-term/long-term" issue, like it seems to be with Rogaine/Propecia. I've often pointed out studies showing greater haircount and hairweight gains from topical minoxidil during the first year or so of use, but sooner or later finasteride will overtake and surpass it, because minoxidil doesn't really interfere with the fundamental balding process.

So if copper-peptides really do have a sort of general "healing" effect on the skin and hair follicles (see Dr. Pickart's site for voluminous information on that, and Dr. Proctor's site for info about SODs and nitric oxide), then maybe minoxidil might similarly be somewhat better at regrowth at the beginning, but copper-peptides might eventually overtake and surpass it as more time goes by. Just speculating here.

In any event, there's certainly no need to choose one or the other. For maximum possible regrowth, you want to use BOTH.

Bryan

G

but sooner or later finasteride will overtake and surpass it, because minoxidil doesn't really interfere with the fundamental balding process.

Would you say finasteride does?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course. It's an antiandrogen (I'm using the term loosely).

Bryan

G

Quote:
but sooner or later finasteride will overtake and surpass it, because minoxidil doesn't really interfere with the fundamental balding process.

Would you say finasteride does?

Of course. It's an antiandrogen (I'm using the term loosely).

Bryan

Androgens being the cause of the fundamental balding proces. In which study has this been proven?
[/quote]

ryand2

Established Member
Reaction score
He said he was usuing the term loosly. An antiandrogen is a basic term for something that affects your hormones in a way. propecia shuts of dht production, therefore affecting hormones.

lol, that had to be the worst scientific explanation ever, but i hope i got my point across

G

He said he was usuing the term loosly. An antiandrogen is a basic term for something that affects your hormones in a way. propecia shuts of dht production, therefore affecting hormones.

lol, that had to be the worst scientific explanation ever, but i hope i got my point across

Yes I knew that, but that was not my point.

Where has it been proven that DHT, androgens etc.. are what is fundamentally causing balding?

There simply has not been done enough/proper studies to come to the conclusion that the fundamental reason for balding is the androgen/ androgen sensitivity theory.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just started copper peptides and have a lot of small hairs growing on the front of my hairline. I believe these used to be velus, now are becoming terminal.

Ive been on 3 weeks.

Also, my hair appears to be getting darker. It could also be the MSM Im using, but I attribute it to the copper peptides.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Music23 said:
Androgens being the cause of the fundamental balding proces. In which study has this been proven?

Oh my goodness! :) Where to begin, where to begin...

Why not just go back 64 years to the very beginning? "Male hormone stimulation is a prerequisite and an incitant in common baldness", JB Hamilton, American Journal of Anatomy 1942; 71: 451-460.

Bryan

G

Music23 wrote:

Oh my goodness! Smile Where to begin, where to begin...

Why not just go back 64 years to the very beginning? "Male hormone stimulation is a prerequisite and an incitant in common baldness", JB Hamilton, American Journal of Anatomy 1942; 71: 451-460.

Bryan

Lol :hairy: I do not deny androgens being very important in balding, but you must also admit that science has not fully understood the balding proces. So without this knowledge it is impossible to understand how big a role androgens play in balding.

Now it is time to sleep :shock:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Music23 said:
Lol :hairy: I do not deny androgens being very important in balding, but you must also admit that science has not fully understood the balding proces. So without this knowledge it is impossible to understand how big a role androgens play in balding.

Here's the most important thing you need to understand: without androgens, there is no male-pattern balding. If you have already started balding, then removing androgens will stop further balding. That's the take-home message. We may not yet know all the exact biochemical mechanisms behind the effects of androgens on hair growth, but we DO know the simple facts stated above.

Bryan

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's don' forget Minoxidil is well studied compared to copper peptides and we here here many many more success stories with minoxidil then with copper peptides. Personaly, I tendo to think that minoxidil is more helpfull in restoring and maitaining hair. Also if someone can only afford or can only persist a single toppical, minoxidil is undoubtfully the right one. I personally use copper pepetides myself (Tricomin spray) in ADDITION to minoxidil.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
eliazush said:
Let's don' forget Minoxidil is well studied compared to copper peptides and we here here many many more success stories with minoxidil then with copper peptides. Personaly, I tendo to think that minoxidil is more helpfull in restoring and maitaining hair. Also if someone can only afford or can only persist a single toppical, minoxidil is undoubtfully the right one.

I really really do find that idea very questionable. Virtually ALL the topical minoxidil studies, with only very rare exceptions, show that minoxidil has only a palliative effect on hairloss; to be specific, it only causes that "offset of growth" that I like to talk about so much. In other words, if you keep using it, minoxidil is DOOMED TO FAIL. It doesn't "maintain" AT ALL, like you claimed.

On the other hand, I think it's a distinct possibility that copper-peptides (and other SODs) may in fact have a permanent health-promoting effect on hair follicles. If for some reason I had to pick one or the other, it would probably be a copper-peptide.

Bryan

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
I speak for myself and my own experience. I started to lose hair when I was 19....it's been 10 years on minoxidil now and I don't know what you're talking about...I managed to maintain my hair condition during this time....only recently have i added copper peptides....so recently that it's too early to tell whether they're working. I know you're a "study" and "referrence" man, but in real life the results can differ. On papers Propecia is a great medication, but in reality, when I SEE and TALK to my patients, the results are VERY limited, and far much lower than it claims.
Minoxidil has managed to maintain not only my hair but also many other patients I meet and talk to. Bessides, I believe EVERY medication, toppical or systemic loses its effect a bit after while because of some ajutments the body overgoes exposed to this med, and because the bolding procesesses don't really stop unless you amputate the testicles....
so we're all doomed in a way.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The mistake you're making is in assuming that it's the minoxidil that's "maintaining" your hair. It isn't. It's just a lull in the balding process. Guys don't always go from a full head of hair to completely bald, you know. male pattern baldness can progress to a certain point, and then stop for a while.

Bryan

G

The mistake you're making is in assuming that it's the minoxidil that's "maintaining" your hair. It isn't. It's just a lull in the balding process. Guys don't always go from a full head of hair to completely bald, you know. male pattern baldness can progress to a certain point, and then stop for a while.

Bryan

1)Science has not yet full understood male pattern baldness
2)Science has not yet exactly understood how Minoxidil regrows/maintains
hair
3)We don't know/what is going on in eliazush's hair follicles.

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard....
Of course it's minoxidil....it's like I will tell you that propecia doesn't maintain the situation and that you could have been at the same hair condition without your treatments...that it is sometimes "stops" and "continues". It sounds like minoxidil didn't help you guys so you made some theory about it. Minoxidil and Finasteride are the two biggest meds we have tonday. Too bad they're not enough, but obviously they work for some people and in my case I owe minoxidil "my life" hehehe...