Concealer with a buzz cut

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair is a little longer than threats77's, but those are the exact same results I get. The hair is short so it's naturally spread out (they don't cling together), so all dermatch does is 1.) shade the scalp so light doesn't shine off it so hard (in fact, you're creating shadow that would normally be created BY hair) and 2.) you're darkening those tiny un-pigmented hairs so they look like real hairs, and because ALL your hair is short, they become cosmetically useful.

It takes me about 5 minutes to apply dermatch. I rub it on thick, blow dry for like 20 seconds, then (using a black towel in case someone were to find it =p) rub my head like I'm drying my hair to evenly distribute the product.

A good tip is to avoid the hair line and use less product where your hair line meets your sides at the corner. You don't want to make a perfect head of hair, it will undoubtedly look suspicious and fake. Look at pictures with guys with buzz cuts, you'll see that a lot of light DOES get through and no one would say they're losing hair.

I've tried lots of concealers and I've had pretty good results. What bothers me the most is that they don't really provide density. Sure, I can get my scalp covered, but my hair always looks flat. So by buzzing it off, I reduce it all to the "lowest common denominator" so to speak.

No, I don't have any pictures, and I am unwilling to take some to post.

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
threats77 said:
look at my pics i posted....and tell me it doesnt work

Interesting, your hair loss is probably a little similar to mine and you buzzed down a lot. I still would be reluctant to go back to concealers but that's rather interesting. How did you apply that then as it's not been applied on thickly has it?

I only went by my attempt and the word going round that the fibres needed something to cling onto.

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
fluffy123 said:
threats77 said:
look at my pics i posted....and tell me it doesnt work

Interesting, your hair loss is probably a little similar to mine and you buzzed down a lot. I still would be reluctant to go back to concealers but that's rather interesting. How did you apply that then as it's not been applied on thickly has it?

I only went by my attempt and the word going round that the fibres needed something to cling onto.

my hair is f'n weird...i dont know..theres no bald patches at all..just thin all over top..i can use hsr no problem

ya i buzz the sides on a #1-2 and the top on #3-4..just depends..works fine and looks fine as you can see

sometimes ill apply it real thick and just wipe off with my hands a few timesand keep wiping until nothing comes off ..and whats weird is after i get out of the gym..my hair even looks better after sweating but ya dermmatch can be used on buzzed heads as long as you have some hair there

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
This is all a very interesitng read!

The problem for me is as I have quite long hair, it is difficult to see how thin the area is compared to the rest of my head! I definitely don't have a 'bald patch' in the sense that there's an area that is completely hairless, but I have an area on my head that is a LOT thinner than say the side ...But there are still hairs there, but very fine, thin vellus hairs. And there are less hairs in this area than elsewhere. So it basically looks like a bald patch, or a thinning patch anyway.

But it looks similar-ish to Threats, except possibly thinner (it's hard to tell when it isn't buzzed down as the rest of the hair looks uber thick thus providing contrast) and also it doesn't go as far back - the actual back of my head is very thick, but the thin area basically goes from the crown and forward (though my hairline is fine, I can grow a fringe) in a circle way. So it's a similar size 'thin patch' but more on the very top of my head than progressing backwards down towards the neck.

Avery's post is a dream come true really. I can't really understand why concealer on the crown wouldn't work with a buzz because I would have assumed it would blend in with the small, colour-less hairs, creating a shadow so that you don't get a shiny scalp staring back at people. It might not look like concrete hair, but because buzzed hair usually leaves the scalp exposed anyway, you can apply sparingly but still do a fairly convincing job. And it would be tricky for the non-trained eye to detect, that is if anyone cares enough to study your head in depth. You can also blend in with the thicker hairs for consistency

And like Avery, concealer works for me with long hair to an extent - if I leave it flat it becomes noticeable, looks flat and lifeless but spiking it up is fine.

Anyone else have thoughts?

paulwojnicki

Reaction score
I buzz my hair to grade two and have more sucess with concealors at this length than I do when it gets longer. The problem, like someone else said is that my patch looks covered but flat when my hair grows long but more even while buzzed to a grade two.

Top tip, I've used many different mouses, gels etc to try to get the fibres to hold but I've found that Rogain Foam, applied before the toppik makes the fibres cling to my vellous hairs amazingly. I don't even bother using hair spray afterwards either it's so good at it.

Might experiment with the dermatch when my toppik runs out, those pics are awesome.

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
ive said it a million times..as long as you have hairs around..all concealers will work...for shaved head...dermmatch is the best id say cuz you can go swimming and sweat..which i went swimming for a few hours yesterday and it stayed on fine

someone above said something bout shine through the scalp and people wouldnt say anything about people who shave there heads..thats true..it took me along freakin time to realize that....im sure up to a #3 the scalp is still visible...no one will say anything unless they go up to yer scalp and inspect

what ive noticed throughout the years when i first started using dermmatch(when it was way noticeable) when people would be talking to me,i can see there eyes look at my head,,now i dont get that at all

best way i think to apply is put it on and wipe keep wiping until none comes off

again as long as you have some hairs it will work fine..toppik will cling to any hairs,but i dont know how good it would look if you shave down..maybe a 3-4 is the shortest id consider using toppik

also you can use it on the hairline but as avery said..dont use alot..thats what i learned,youll get the hang of it eventually,i just got out of the gym and i swear it always looks better ,i have no explanation for this

bmsche2

Reaction score
Hey man, what color of Dermmatch did you use in your pictures? I have dark brown hair when it's long but when it's shorter (using a #1 or so on top and no guard on the sides) it looks like a light brown or gray. And I have a similar thinning pattern to yours. It's fairly solid along the hairline and pretty thin starting at the crown. I was originally thinking of dark brown but now idk what color would work best. Any help would be much appreciated.