Concealer with a buzz cut

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm tempted to take the plunge and buzz my hair down. Been losing it a long time but have been hiding it fairly well. My thinning is 90% on the crown, think Zinedine Zidane but not so bad, so my hairline is generally fine and can grow a long fringe (though it IS receding, but with a fringe or quiff it's barely noticable) . So I get highlights done, appliy some dermatch and spike the hair on top, I can get away with it. Just.

But I'm getting tired of it. It takes ages to do, and requires so much maintenance. I'm reliant on hats if it's windy or rainy, and basically it makes me look pretty camp and silly.

I don't think I have the perfect shaped head for a buzzcut - I have small ears but they stick out a bit and I'd definitely look less instantly good looking with a buzz cut. However, I'll appear a more mature man less obsessive over his looks, which is definitely more attractive than a slightly better looking kid who looks in the mirror too much. I'm also lucky in that I tan pretty well so can keep myself from looking pale, and have worked out a bit in the last year so have a decent enough body.

MY WORRY IS if I buzz is short there is no hiding. There will be a very obvious bald patch on my head, monk like almost, and that's scary - far worse looking than a high hairline. This is something I'd need to at least SLIGHTLY conceal.

I'm not expecting to create the illusion that there's a complete head full of hair there, I'd just like to do something to make it less shocking- reduce the size of the bald patch or make the top of my head look slightly thicker, but still thin. I don't really mind if, under close inspection, people can see it's balding, I just want to reduce the shock factor you sometimes get when, for example, a dude removes his hat and you see a huge bald spot. Or at least make it seem like I have JUST started to lose it, rather than be losing a fair amount over a few years.

Can dermatch or toppik do this? I mean, Dermatch is great for longer hair (though I find if you play with it too much does fade over time) but some say not for buzzed which will look like a painted scalp.

I'd want to buzz it pretty short - think Freddie Ljungberg or something, who pulls it off so well, and then apply something even just to colour the scalp a bit, without looking painfully obvious. Perhaps If I did it all over this would work? Or would toppik work better?

The thin area is not slick bald (otherwise I couldn't apply Dermatch at all) but is pretty thin - the hairs there are VERY fine vellus hairs.

I'd appreciate any help :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Sorry but in order for concealers to work there really has to actually be something there, and the more the better. :(

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
What if I literally don't touch the thinning area? Buzz everywhere else, leave the thin area the way it is?

Will there at least be SOME benefit to using concealer with uber short buzzed hair? Or is it a complete waste of time? Again, not necessarily looking for total coverage, just to make any thinning appear less freakish

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
mr_sparkle said:
What if I literally don't touch the thinning area? Buzz everywhere else, leave the thin area the way it is?

Will there at least be SOME benefit to using concealer with uber short buzzed hair? Or is it a complete waste of time? Again, not necessarily looking for total coverage, just to make any thinning appear less freakish

don't chase your tail. embrace it.

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped using concealers a month ago, it has it's pros and cons, but I'd say I'm slightly happier now as although I'm only 6 months into regime and there's still much room for improvement- at least my life isn't ruled by the concealers and the panic of how it looks under certain lights, sun, on nights out, in mornings etc has gone and what's there is what is 'there'.

However, I did try and put concealer on a couple of weeks ago just after buzzing my head down to a #1 on back and sides and #2.5 on the top, just to see how it looks. Trust me, it doesn't work as there is nothing substantial for it to grip to so just leaves a disastrously obvious powdered mess on your head. If you're going to buzz right down, don't do it. If you're going to buzz to a fair level, say maybe a #4, you might just get away with it.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
How thin is your area on top though? And what concealer did you use??

I'm not too worried if it still overall looks thinner than areas at the front of my head, I just don't want it looking shocking really. I still have hair on my crown, but very thin hairs, and without concealer the scalp is clearly visible, and just looks a bit unusual really.

The loss is akin to Zinedine Zidane really. It's a bald patch on top that's not slick bald, but is very thin and the area is basically getting bigger (as opposed to thinner). So I'd probably struggle at the very crown to do it convincingly but other areas perhaps not.

What I'm hoping in an ideal World is basically get some sun onto my head, thus already making the scalp look a bit better and making it harder to distinguish bald from just short hair area, and then put a small amount of concealer on to thicken up some areas. Just make the buzz look seem more like a choice than enforced, and hopefully I'll get a decent Ljungberg/Beckham look! Or even blend the concealer in with non-thinning areas, to get a level of consistency.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hmm, I doubt that would look too realistic with a buzz cut. :shakehead:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Pics? :whistle:

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
you can use a concealer with a buzz cut..ive been doin so for the last year or so,however i dont think white people can get away with it as much,you obviously have to have hair ,i have thinning hair all over,i normally shave the top on a #3 or so and sides on a #1

heres a few pics..i just put on some dermmatch in less than 30 seconds..so i didnt take my time or anything,maybe avery or whoever else puts on different and it looks better than mine..take in mind,the pics were taken with flash and directly under lights,so it does look much better in person

concealers will work as long as there's hair,heck i can even use hsr/toppik at the length i keep it out,but i dont like that stuff

Attachments

• DSC02637.JPG
    DSC02637.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,292
  • DSC02638.JPG
    DSC02638.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,405
  • DSC02641.JPG
    DSC02641.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,146

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
2 pictures without dermmatch

like i said..as long as theres hairs there and no bald spots..all concealers will work,i only like dermmatch tho,kind of want to try prothik,but i dont know

Attachments

• DSC02643.JPG
    DSC02643.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,102
  • DSC02652.JPG
    DSC02652.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,774

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
Wow those are good results, I will post some photos of my hair tell me if you think it would work well for me.

ya it will work well on you id think..do you have dermmatch

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
I posted the photos, above what about toppick, why didn't you like it?

yer hairloss isnt that bad..any concealer will honestly work fine on you..toppik i feel is better for people with thinning hair like you..i like keeping my hair short so dermmatch is fine...never comes off at the gym or if i swim..same goes for toppik while at the gym..

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
fluffy123 said:
I stopped using concealers a month ago, it has it's pros and cons, but I'd say I'm slightly happier now as although I'm only 6 months into regime and there's still much room for improvement- at least my life isn't ruled by the concealers and the panic of how it looks under certain lights, sun, on nights out, in mornings etc has gone and what's there is what is 'there'.

However, I did try and put concealer on a couple of weeks ago just after buzzing my head down to a #1 on back and sides and #2.5 on the top, just to see how it looks. Trust me, it doesn't work as there is nothing substantial for it to grip to so just leaves a disastrously obvious powdered mess on your head. If you're going to buzz right down, don't do it. If you're going to buzz to a fair level, say maybe a #4, you might just get away with it.

look at my pics i posted....and tell me it doesnt work