CBS Philly News Article: Propecia Suicide!!!

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
Always been on the fence about taking propecia, after years now... im 21, suffering hairloss since 18, been on the brink of purchasing finasteride. I decided to myself though, no, i'm not taking the gamble. at the end of the day, even with hairloss, im still who I am, I love martial arts, and music, and art, and have great friendships, brother and family. I'm finally beginning to get over hairloss, I'm still treating it and/or trying to hide it, BUT at the same time it doesnt get to me like it used to. As much as I don't want to, I'm prepared to loose more hair if that makes sense.

If i ever got the likes of brain fog that some of you describe, and I couldnt experience the joy I get from music (which crucifies my hairloss worries), I would most definitly kill myself.

This story has now completly turned me off using it for good.

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
im willin to try them man... difficulty of availability is the problem though, Im holding out on minoxidil 2x daily and nizoral 2% daily.

loosin' battle tho.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I am surprised there hasn't been many more suicides to be honest. I know that if I don't make significant progress soon, I will consider it as a legitimate option out of all of this.

T

Timi

i am suicide when i take minoxidil this sh*t have destroyed my Hairs
my Heart-my Face skin-and makes me tired and depressed

Timi

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
Joe-1991 said:
I am surprised there hasn't been many more suicides to be honest. I know that if I don't make significant progress soon, I will consider it as a legitimate option out of all of this.

You should try to think at the worst you have lost a few years of your life, at best you learn't a valuable lesson. Give it time, time is the best healer. If nothing else works for you the body will remember!

It's taken a year to 18 months for ALL the cognitive side effects to fully dissapear. The sexual side effects are now going too allbeit much slower. I at least think about sex again and get get a proper chub on, just not 3 times a day anymore :dunno: But hey I'm 10 years older. I should be having another hormone check soonish, I'd like to see if I have still got f*ck all testosterone.

I am 20 and can barely handle sex once a day. I used to get erections around any girl i might hook up with at the drop of a hat. It is horrible to know that you aren't feeling what everyone else is.

I can remember being on this forum when hair loss was bugging me. At least once I shaved it off I would be very sexual, athletic, and have a great sense of humour that would always work for girls. As a young guy, once you lose your sexuality like this - the rest goes down the pan as well.

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember your older posts years ago joe, you were really worried about your hair when you are a good looking guy anyway, i wish you the speediest recovery...

how are you getting on?

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I took finasteride at 18, well just before I was 19, I think... I crashed on what was to be my last cycle of it, because I could never tolerate it well. I was on such small doses.

Yeah, I became quite active on here, which is what makes everything so damn crazy. I was worried about hair loss, but got over that, and now I have been hit with these side effects which are 10 times worse. It's very surreal.

I am worse, sexually a year off the drug. I am not hopeful of a recovery, as far as I am concerned if your body hasn't bounced back in a year something is seriously wrong. I am trying thyroid medication along with pregnenolone and threelac to see what that does in the coming 2 months. God knows what will happen if that doesn't give me some progress.. This isn't all about getting laid, it's about feeling normal - even without sexual side effects I am left with severe sleep issues and anxiety!

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no idea where my hormone levels are at.. I saw 1 doctor at the beginning of all of this and he did some tests said everything was 'normal' and offered me an anti depressant.

I have yet to see anybody else. If I can get the courage, I will try and get a referral to an endocrinologist I like the look of, but I can see it being awkard walking into a doctor's office and just straight asking for a referral. My parents don't really understand what's happening with me and I don't blame them. How believable if it really, this little pill leading to such terrible sexual side effects.

What about you Monty, you having any luck in the UK?

I would say that the few brief recoveries I have had in the past year are promising but as it turns out even the worst guys on PH have them so it's no big deal. When I was with my girlfriend I managed to have decent sex a few times a week, so I think I could get into a relationship - it would just be far less fun, and they would have to understand there would be failings.

I am sure that most of you guys on here tolerate finasteride quite fine, and these persistent side effects seem so rare (something I can't come to terms with). But either way, I would recommend just shaving your head if you can - I shave mine to the bone now and it hasn't made much difference with girls, and I have a really good social life at university unless i withdraw.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another thing is the acne drug, Accutane, has had links to suicides going back about 15 years. I think they only ever changed the labelling on it and introduced a waiver form to absolve the prescribing doctor of liability. Its never been pulled by the FDA

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a particular endocrinologist in mind. Can I book a private appointment and get a referral to an NHS doctor?

I think what I might do when I am living in London again is see a doctor and not talk about propecia, or bring just a few documents about it. Instead mention that I want to check thyroid, not just other hormones etc.