Castor oil questions - shedding, and what to mix it with?

Kordi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions around castor oil topical treatment:
- Is there shedding when you start?
- What is typical reaction when you stop? Do you shed same way as with minoxidil? Or are the effects more lasting after you stop?
- What do you suggest as best solution to mix castor oil with. I saw ppl using rosemary oil and coconut oil or.... Emu oil. Emu I will probably skip as I am very sceptical about the ability to get a "real thing". Emu is expensive enough for people to be tempted to counterfeit it.

Please note I am not interested in oral castor oil application due to lack of research into long term side effects. For the time being I am considering just topical.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions around castor oil topical treatment:
- Is there shedding when you start?
- What is typical reaction when you stop? Do you shed same way as with minoxidil? Or are the effects more lasting after you stop?
- What do you suggest as best solution to mix castor oil with. I saw ppl using rosemary oil and coconut oil or.... Emu oil. Emu I will probably skip as I am very sceptical about the ability to get a "real thing". Emu is expensive enough for people to be tempted to counterfeit it.

Please note I am not interested in oral castor oil application due to lack of research into long term side effects. For the time being I am considering just topical.

I personally didn't notice any shedding with it. I haven't heard of anyone else shedding on it either. I first was using it topically, but got tired of a greasy scalp. It definitely made my hair thicker and healthier, but it was a pain in the butt to style it right and wash it out. I wouldn't apply it topically every day, so that it doesn't clog your pores and cause pimples. Maybe a 2-3 times a week. I recently started back on it, but this time I'm cycling it orally.

jDemarco223

My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally didn't notice any shedding with it. I haven't heard of anyone else shedding on it either. I first was using it topically, but got tired of a greasy scalp. It definitely made my hair thicker and healthier, but it was a pain in the butt to style it right and wash it out. I wouldn't apply it topically every day, so that it doesn't clog your pores and cause pimples. Maybe a 2-3 times a week. I recently started back on it, but this time I'm cycling it orally.
So what the theory behind cycling oral castor oil? Does it have something to do with PGE2 being elevated too long/reset efficacy?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm trying about 1-2mL a day for 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off right now. I just started back on it about two weeks ago. I'm using 3 week periods as that's a general time frame for most hormones to balance themselves out. I'll probably take off a month or two every few cycles as well just to be on the safe side.

jDemarco223

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm trying about 1-2mL a day for 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off right now. I just started back on it about two weeks ago. I'm using 3 week periods as that's a general time frame for most hormones to balance themselves out. I'll probably take off a month or two every few cycles as well just to be on the safe side.
Nice thanks for sharing that.

Can I ask how you came to the conclusion to cycle it? I understand it’s to counter the chronically elevated PGE2, but is there a study/discussion post worth noting that discusses chronically elevated PGE2?

Or is this more of just a precaution on your part?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice thanks for sharing that.

Can I ask how you came to the conclusion to cycle it? I understand it’s to counter the chronically elevated PGE2, but is there a study/discussion post worth noting that discusses chronically elevated PGE2?

Or is this more of just a precaution on your part?
I haven't looked into any studies. I just know it typically takes the pituitary gland a few weeks to to re-start endogenous production of hormones that have been taken exogenously.

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't bothered cycling and have alright results, nothing amazing but noticeable. I take 10ml in the morning, no sides.
Hi! For how long do you take it? And When do you start noticing results? What Kind of results? Do you get terminal hairs un your hairline? Overall thickness?

Thanks!!

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't looked into any studies. I just know it typically takes the pituitary gland a few weeks to to re-start endogenous production of hormones that have been taken exogenously.
What effect does Castor oil have on hormones?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! For how long do you take it? And When do you start noticing results? What Kind of results? Do you get terminal hairs un your hairline? Overall thickness?

Thanks!!

I honestly can't remember how long i have been taking it, not too long though, as for results i have seen my crown respond to it, still have nowhere near the density i would like but considering it is so cheap and i get no sides it is a worthwhile addition. Im not too worried about my temples so i haven't really been paying attention to what it has been doing there, it is just my crown that is the problem. I would definitely try it if i were you, as for me i need to find something else to add to my regimen as i still need much more density, i just have no idea where to go from here other than estradiol.

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly can't remember how long i have been taking it, not too long though, as for results i have seen my crown respond to it, still have nowhere near the density i would like but considering it is so cheap and i get no sides it is a worthwhile addition. Im not too worried about my temples so i haven't really been paying attention to what it has been doing there, it is just my crown that is the problem. I would definitely try it if i were you, as for me i need to find something else to add to my regimen as i still need much more density, i just have no idea where to go from here other than estradiol.
Thanks for the response, im definitely adding it to my regimen

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, you have mostly exhausted the options that work except derma-rolling which I bet you do as well. For what it is worth, generally it is not recommended to take an AA for over three months without estrogen although this might be more of problem for older folks more subject to bone loss. I hope you will keep reporting on the hormonal threads about your AA results. I am skeptical that they cause hair regrowth but they might increase anagen or save hair that was about to go and not come back and keep it in cycle. Only estradiol at this point appears able to waken/heal dormant follicles but you don't have to be on estradiol necessarily forever. Noah is attempting to cross back from an MtF regime to only using dutasteride and at the one year mark, he has mostly maintained except perhaps in the corners. Estradiol might be necessary to maintain hair quality improvements and ability to grow hair long but many males are only seeking full coverage. For people with runaway, what I call Son of Sam hair that doesn't have coverage issues at all, only estrogen (or maybe a crew cut) is likely to reduce the Mediterranean-fro aspect which can be simply horrible visually and worse than baldness looks-wise.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone still taking this? I’ve got capsules from Now Foods, which makes it so much easier to take. I’ve noticed extra shedding, could be a good or bad thing

I still take it, two teaspoons so about 10ml. I honestly don't think castor oil tastes of much and you can buy a liter for no price at all.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still take it, two teaspoons so about 10ml. I honestly don't think castor oil tastes of much and you can buy a liter for no price at all.
you're till positive it's helping with overall ensity and eyelashe/eyebrow growth? thanks